Dungeons & Dragons & Dining

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Kobold stew, mead, Carrion Crawled in pie etc

As for whether this will actually be a thing? Like the Gygax statue was (not)? Not holding my breath.

if it did, expect a roaring trade on ebay for stolen memorabilia.

"But I was just getting into character, in this case as an 11th level Thief." said Bill, a 54 year old fat guy with a beard who lives in his moms basement after he was stopped whilst trying to smuggle out a shopping trolley full of 3d Printed plastic tat/memorabilia from the struggling restaurant.

Just make some custom oven dishes, make meat/soy loaves with them, make food-colored sauces and there you go with minimal effort.

Hmm, isn't there some kind of dungeon cooking manga?

Oh good, Medieval Times with Dragonborn.
I have lived with 5 miles or so of Medieval Times for most of my life and have not yet eaten there. In my 20's I even had a roommate who worked there as a squire! It's kind of like when I lived in NYC for two years but never went to Statue of Liberty or watched a local sports team.

Anyway, if this D&D restaurant gets off the ground (which I doubt) I predict it will hemorrhage cash for a year or two at most then disappear. It's way too ambitious, niche, and it's in a flyover state to boot. A restaurant has to be really fucking good to warrant going out of your way to pay it a visit. I mean, I totally get making a road trip for a restaurant. Once Casa Bonita is open for business I am so there.

I have lived with 5 miles or so of Medieval Times for most of my life and have not yet eaten there. In my 20's I even had a roommate who worked there as a squire! It's kind of like when I lived in NYC for two years but never went to Statue of Liberty or watched a local sports team.

Anyway, if this D&D restaurant gets off the ground (which I doubt) I predict it will hemorrhage cash for a year or two at most then disappear. It's way too ambitious, niche, and it's in a flyover state to boot. A restaurant has to be really fucking good to warrant going out of your way to pay it a visit. I mean, I totally get making a road trip for a restaurant. Once Casa Bonita is open for business I am so there.

I went to a Medieval Times for the first time earlier this year, and the food was surprisingly decent. And yeah, Casa Bonita is a bucket list destination for me. :smile:

There was a renowned themed joint in Boston called Medieval Manor, which purported to give the full medieval dining experience. I never went -- between SCA and LARPing, I did that sort of thing more authentically and cheaper, without the whole tourista patina. Unless Disney's running it, odds that this D&D joint will go beyond the mediocre is next to zero, and the odds that it will overwhelmingly suck are high.

I don't know; if the shark hasn't jumped, it's certainly swimming faster and faster, so to speak. How many of these pop culture-themed restaurants actually succeed?
The ones that do tend to be on a much more modest scale I think. Geek Retreat UK seems to be doing pretty well for itself but a) they franchise out and b) they're not going for this kind of big spectacular idea so much as "hey, you like games and milkshakes and we do both".

There was a renowned themed joint in Boston called Medieval Manor, which purported to give the full medieval dining experience. I never went -- between SCA and LARPing, I did that sort of thing more authentically and cheaper, without the whole tourista patina. Unless Disney's running it, odds that this D&D joint will go beyond the mediocre is next to zero, and the odds that it will overwhelmingly suck are high.
I went years ago when my wife had a work function there, of all things. It was exactly as it was purported to be. You had a tankard of ale and ate roast beast with your hands while the court entertained.

I went to a Medieval Times for the first time earlier this year, and the food was surprisingly decent. And yeah, Casa Bonita is a bucket list destination for me. :smile:
Ahhh I went to Casa Bonita several times as a kid. Yes it is indeed all that. :smile: A trip usually combined with Elitch Gardens...and no it is not an electronic litch themed park.

I thought this was going to be a thread about how to host a feast/gaming session, which actually sounds kind of cool as a wrap-up session for a big arc.

Heh, I did do a couple of come-costumed-as-your-characters runs over the years, and when GMing Scarlet Pimpernel dressed in the standard togs of a National Convention representative-on-mission, tricolor sash and all. (It's all about the zeitgeist, baybee!)

Never had a medieval-style feast for one, though. The problem for that is while I was my SCA barony's cook at all the feasts over a couple of years, I'm not sure how I'd go about cooking a feast and GMing simultaneously. :pizza:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back