Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Chris Pine is aging like a fragrant, well-wrought pine bookcase from Ikea, holding several bottles of fine, mature wine!
I think he's holding up fairly well, actually. I certainly wouldn't describe him as sagging, creaky, or wobbly.

Especially objectionable to me as the 'people' in this context are usually the authorities or those working for them.
Yeah man. I watched that Gerard Butler film, Law Abiding Citizen recently. Had to switch it off when it pivoted to his character being the villain, and the FBI-Cop forces of righteousness taking the role of the heroes.

It's like the Disney+ Marvel stuff leaned hard into "costumed freaks as enforcers of the status quo" and ignored (or paid lip servic to) all the "on the run from the law/legally ambiguous" shit that the comics had set up over 70+ years. Like, the Kingpin in the comics is a drug and sex trafficker, but in the TV show he's an uppity property developer who gets too far out of his lane for a poor white boy.

Moore is right. The modern supers-craze is an ideological mess.

My wife and I took the grandkids (13 & 14 years old, the 14-year-old plays regularly), and we all enjoyed the movie. The wife doesn't game and usually is bored halfway through most movies, but she was sitting forward in her seat through most of this one. I thought they did a good job of making a fun fantasy adventure film with a decent story.

It's sad when people drag their culture war BS in here. It's even sadder when they act like children while doing it. I'm locking the thread to discuss this with the other mods.

k, it took a while for me to prune that tangent. Not every post excised crossed the line, but I thought it was better to just remove the entire convo than just leaving a few non-sequitors. Opening this thread back up, but Mods are going to be keeping a closer eye on it moving forward.

I will watch the movie, and have thought all along that it MIGHT be good, or at least entertaining. The previews didn't look that bad to me. I don't go to movies in theaters anymore, though, and wouldn't contribute to the box office take for this one even if I did. I don't know whether Hasbro will end up being happy with the results of the movie or not, and whether or not they will think it has anything to do with the recent scandal, but I don't want to do anything that benefits them right now. When I do watch it, it will be in some way that is invisible to them.

I will watch the movie, and have thought all along that it MIGHT be good, or at least entertaining. The previews didn't look that bad to me. I don't go to movies in theaters anymore, though, and wouldn't contribute to the box office take for this one even if I did. I don't know whether Hasbro will end up being happy with the results of the movie or not, and whether or not they will think it has anything to do with the recent scandal, but I don't want to do anything that benefits them right now. When I do watch it, it will be in some way that is invisible to them.

yeah, I'm waiting for it to hit a free streaming site

I might be more tempted by Dragonlance to get out to the theatre for it, depending how it looks

I have to add that mine and my wife's enjoyment of the movie was only enhanced by some younger, clearly D&D fans.
My wife's not a gamer, and I'm not a D&D gamer, but just hearing their laughter, enthusiasm, and fanboy comments were actually terrific and entertaining to us.
...and I don't mean that in a demeaning, derogatory, or condescending way. It really enhanced our enjoyment of the movie.

I haven't seen it but my 10 Year old really enjoyed it.

FInancially it sounds like it did in the same neighborhood as a proportion to budget as the recent Shazam and Black Adam and those aren't good numbers. Maybe product licensing will make a big difference but that seems like it favors Hasbro. Not sure why a studio would want to do a second movie.

I dunno, $40 million opening with strong word of mouth - it might end up doing OK. if it can repeat that performance for a few weeks

I’ve seen sequels made for movies that should never have sequels. At least this movie has good word of mouth and strong reviews. The toys for the movie are sitting on the shelves ar Wal-Mart though, so that’s not good. I’ve actually noticed toys for almost everything are languishing on the shelf, but that’s a conversation for another topic.

I’ve seen sequels made for movies that should never have sequels. At least this movie has good word of mouth and strong reviews. The toys for the movie are sitting on the shelves ar Wal-Mart though, so that’s not good. I’ve actually noticed toys for almost everything are languishing on the shelf, but that’s a conversation for another topic.
There’s 4 baby geniuses. Hopefully we can get at least a 2nd dnd movie.

My wal-mart didn’t even have any movie merch. I wanted an obese dragon.

Some of the comedy is stupid like a scene where they waste their Speak with the Dead questions
I thought that was classic DM screwing with the players who weren't prepared for their use of the spell. It was hilarious to me, because it's happened before.

There’s 4 baby geniuses. Hopefully we can get at least a 2nd dnd movie.

My wal-mart didn’t even have any movie merch. I wanted an obese dragon.
My son loves that dragon!

Toys aimed more at collectors tend to still do fine. Transformer toys sections are usually barren except for a few of the same unpopular character or bad molds.

I'm glad they ditched the Vancian fire-and-forget magic and, like a true D&D group,
went on to dig up half the graveyard until they had their answer.

From the plethora of reviews I can see why it's popular, but yet another humorous teen fantasy movie is not on my bucket list of must-do-before-I-die. Even when it becomes available for free, as I'm still not willing to give WotC money (I note, as always, 'boycott' to most people still means 'until I want some of their stuff').

Last edited:
A trend I’m seeing in a lot of media is that only the male lead is comedic and all the female leads are “straight” and serious. Please tell me that the ladies get to be funny too?

A trend I’m seeing in a lot of media is that only the male lead is comedic and all the female leads are “straight” and serious. Please tell me that the ladies get to be funny too?
Not as offend though a little bit with these ones. A very little bit.

From the plethora of reviews I can see why it's popular, but yet another humorous teen fantasy movie is not on my bucket list of must-do-before-I-die. Even when it becomes available for free, as I'm still not willing to give WotC money (I note, as always, 'boycott' to most people still means 'until I want some of their stuff').

The purpose of a boycott is also to achieve some result or receive some concession. If you just aren't buying their stuff period then it's just refusing to do business with them.

Also a boycott is organized so that the corporate overlords know what's pissing you off. A generic, "I will not buy Hasbro" doesn't help in any way.

I read they ditched the Rest mechanic for regaining any powers/abilities/spells because it wouldn't work well with film.

Every character had their humorous moments -- even the very straight-laced Xenc was comedic, though he didn't intend to be funny "in character".

Every character had their humorous moments -- even the very straight-laced Xenc was comedic, though he didn't intend to be funny "in character".
I think the funniest thing about Xenc is that he's obviously a GMPC (notice I exclude the N in there, because... yeah). It wouldn't be funny if it was in a game- as we've all experienced those. But as a poke at GMPCs, he was hilarious.

I do wonder if the bit when Themberchaud was a throwaway bit for the movie, or if they intend on releasing something to tie together a Rage of Dragons with the movie and explain why he was in Dolblunde instead of Gracklstugh and why the Dracolich that was there before isn't?

Last edited:
Well 3/4 of my regular RPG group attended (including me) and we laughed alot, plus some excellent action sequences. Particularly loved the wildshape sequence.

Didn't hurt either that our seats were D18- D20 :smile:

If you enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy thats a pretty good predictor for you enjoying the movie - I would definitely give it 4 stars for geeks of similar tastes to myself, 3 for the general superhero liking public and 1 star for people who take their media and RPGs very seriously.

Last edited:
Honestly? I appreciated its businesslike competence more than just about anything else. Plot points were set up, plot points were developed, plot points were paid off. So many transmedia tie-ins are just incoherent these days, so I am thrilled to get a solid movie. With extra-sexy paladin added.

Honestly? I appreciated its businesslike competence more than just about anything else. Plot points were set up, plot points were developed, plot points were paid off. So many transmedia tie-ins are just incoherent these days, so I am thrilled to get a solid movie. With extra-sexy paladin added.

That is a very good point that often gets missed. Mere competence should be celebrated. How often do we see movies based on comics, sci-fi or fantasy books or even game, backed by all the money and talent of Hollywood still fail to hit basic standards of competence?

Another big point in the compentency column: they didn't fill the movie with sequel bait. They have said they want a cinematic universe but this movie wasn't made on the assumption of a full Avengers Phase 1 plan greenlit. They made a competent movie that stands on it own.

Another big point in the compentency column: they didn't fill the movie with sequel bait. They have said they want a cinematic universe but this movie wasn't made on the assumption of a full Avengers Phase 1 plan greenlit. They made a competent movie that stands on it own.

Yes, Szass Tam is still out there if that's a direction they want to go later, but he could just as easily be ignored in the future.

Yes, Szass Tam is still out there if that's a direction they want to go later, but he could just as easily be ignored in the future.
As I saw someone say over on The Big Purple say, their nephew ask about what happened to Szass Tam and the answer was, "That's your problem to solve".

I'm actually glad it wasn't Drizzt. Well, other than Drizzt opening up the opportunity for Artemis Entreri.

I love Artemis but I sincerely doubt he'd go well with this group.

"You call this a gang of thieves? WHERE IS YOUR PROFESSIONAL PRIDE!?"

Like Blade in Blade III.

I love Artemis but I sincerely doubt he'd go well with this group.
Not in this group. I mean just in general in the movies- or perhaps even on Forge's side. He pretty obviously wouldn't be with Edgin and the group.

Not in this group. I mean just in general in the movies- or perhaps even on Forge's side. He pretty obviously wouldn't be with Edgin and the group.

Jarlaxle and Artemis movie!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back