Edge gets Star Wars license

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
What is considered “uber powerful”? Isn’t Luke vs Jabba’s whole crew and Boba Fett in Return of the Jedi one of the great Star Wars Jedi scenes of all-time?
It’s more the fact that, by the time of the Prequels and the D20 versions of the game, everybody (actors and players) wanted to be a Jedi. It’s not so much a measure of ‘power’, it is more that the powers became commonplace, codified and lost any sense of mystery or spirituality. The popular type of character in the original trilogy and WEG version, by contrast, is the Han Solo-like Smuggler.

It’s more the fact that, by the time of the Prequels and the D20 versions of the game, everybody (actors and players) wanted to be a Jedi. It’s not so much a measure of ‘power’, it is more that the powers became commonplace, codified and lost any sense of mystery or spirituality. The popular type of character in the original trilogy and WEG version, by contrast, is the Han Solo-like Smuggler.
People want to play the cool characters. I do think the games could probably do a better job of giving benefits to playing other types of characters besides Jedi.

What is considered “uber powerful”? Isn’t Luke vs Jabba’s whole crew and Boba Fett in Return of the Jedi one of the great Star Wars Jedi scenes of all-time?

That scene seems slightly different to how I remember it. Damn George Lucas as his retroactive changing of things!

Last edited:
People want to play the cool characters. I do think the games could probably do a better job of giving benefits to playing other types of characters besides Jedi.
For me, I want to play cool characters that are not basically super-powered all the time. That is why I prefer the original WEG version and original trilogy.

For me, I want to play cool characters that are not basically super-powered all the time. That is why I prefer the original WEG version and original trilogy.
OK, well, it’s good that nobody can take that edition away from you then.

I don’t like Traveller so the Star Wars supplement does nothing for me. It’s too blah.

I’m still plugging away on my D6 variant so I do love the system. I’m making some slight adjustments to the mechanics.

Off topic, but I'm thinking eventually I want to run a x-wing campaign. I'm going to probably use the x-wing miniature game and hack it into an RPG. I think I'd have more fun with that than playing any of the pre existing systems.

I don’t like Traveller so the Star Wars supplement does nothing for me. It’s too blah.
Pretty much the feeling I have with most of the official Star Wars editions really.

For me, though, with Traveller’s new update and the roll call of Charted Space (the way they are referring to the default Traveller setting these days), Mindjammer, 2300AD, Star Wars and apparently an upcoming Prime Directive, and some other upcoming setting I don’t know about, I feel I get lots of choice with my sci-fi gaming.

It does matter that I like the Traveller system at core, but in most cases of official Star Wars games, I either don’t really like the setting parameters or don’t like the system used. The WEG edition, probably for nostalgia, is the exception.

Off topic, but I'm thinking eventually I want to run a x-wing campaign. I'm going to probably use the x-wing miniature game and hack it into an RPG. I think I'd have more fun with that than playing any of the pre existing systems.
X-Wing is a great miniature game. I'd love to see someone try to configure it into an RPG of some sort. Super thematic game.

I have it and I've run and my players said the mechanics didn't really capture Star Wars space battles. That being said, they typically hyper-spaced out immediately if there was a sign of danger.
I agree. The game is very damage soak heavy, when taking a shot (by anything, from hand held blasters to ship battles) is actually avoided and dodged. You don't want to be shot in the Star Wars universe.

I agree. The game is very damage soak heavy, when taking a shot (by anything, from hand held blasters to ship battles) is actually avoided and dodged. You don't want to be shot in the Star Wars universe.
The players were in a Y-wing squadron and 6 or 7 of them launched torpedos at an Interdictor Class Star Destroyer which was part of a blockade. They blew it up in one barrage. But then were terrified of all the TIE fighters that had launched before the destruction. My group is very risk adverse and didn't realize how things were in their favor. The only Y-Wing that ever came close to being destroyed was one time a player kept botching the navigation to hyperspace roll.

Last edited:
Savage Worlds mechanics would be perfect for Star Wars. I think I could really get into it. Too bad dealing with The Mouse is probably not worth the effort for Pinnacle Games.
Fortunately, it's easy enough to run Star Wars with the rules we already have. I ran a brief Star Wars inspired game using it back in 2008. It already has laser swords and spaceships. I think I used the Kung Fu rules from Deadlands as the basis for Jedi Knights.

Fortunately, it's easy enough to run Star Wars with the rules we already have. I ran a brief Star Wars inspired game using it back in 2008. It already has laser swords and spaceships. I think I used the Kung Fu rules from Deadlands as the basis for Jedi Knights.
Damn good point, there are a lot of mechanics "just already there". Loved that you used the Kung Fu mechanics from Deadlands. That's awesome.

I've honestly never gotten the love for WEG Star Wars. It's fine. I'd play in it if someone else was running it that I wanted to play with, but out of Star Wars games I've played I'd consider it average.

I'd rather play FFG Star Wars or Saga Edition WotC Star Wars. WEG Star Wars is way better than the other two attempts at d20 Star Wars though (which I'd never play either of those ever again.

There is one thing that none of them have ever managed to be good at though that I'd love to see done well: Vehicle Combat. I did major overhauls to the FFG system to make it work, but it still is far from good at it.

I like WEG and the FFG games.

I haven't checked out the other official versions of SW rpgs.

I think the FFG dice, like any new mechanic in a rpg, has a learning curve (just as more well known mechanics have a learning curve for newbs to rpgs) but I grew to like how flexible and clever it is.

I kinda get the complaints about proprietary dice but people seem to forget that when D&D was first released polyhedral dice were as rare as hen's teeth and didn't come with the game, so there's some historical irony in those complaints.

There's a good PbtA SW hack (with good art!) out there on the nets and I think FASERIP would be a good system for adapting SW as well, I assume someone has already done that too.

I kinda get the complaints about proprietary dice but people seem to forget that when D&D was first released polyhedral dice were as rare as hen's teeth and didn't come with the game, so there's some historical irony in those complaints.
The difference is with those first dice you were simply at a glance adding or reading numbers. Reading multiple symbols and deciphering what they're supposed to mean is a different beast entirely.

As I said in a previous post and have mentioned to others over the last couple years, reading Genesys dice is like having a conversation in a second language that isn't native to you. You're always slowed down having to first comprehend it and then translating it to converse.

It's just a bad system, it puts an unnecessary added layer to game play that slows things down. That's all before we get into the shortcoming of propriety dice and getting your hands on them later on.

The difference is with those first dice you were simply at a glance adding or reading numbers. Reading multiple symbols and deciphering what they're supposed to mean is a different beast entirely.

As I said in a previous post and have mentioned to others over the last couple years, reading Genesys dice is like having a conversation in a second language that isn't native to you. You're always slowed down having to first comprehend it and then translating it to converse.

It's just a bad system, it puts an unnecessary added layer to game play that slows things down. That's all before we get into the shortcoming of propriety dice and getting your hands on them later on.
Idk man, different things work for different people.

I've had someone with dyscalculia that had problems with games like D&D because adding two double digit numbers was common. Playing FFG Star Wars is just counting icons, they had no issue with doing it.

You may not like it, but this whole attempt to make it out to be badly designed... I just don't see it.

Idk man, different things work for different people.

I've had someone with dyscalculia that had problems with games like D&D because adding two double digit numbers was common. Playing FFG Star Wars is just counting icons, they had no issue with doing it.

You may not like it, but this whole attempt to make it out to be badly designed... I just don't see it.
...and a Rainman type Savant could glance at the 120 dice you just rolled for a 30mob group of Slugga Boyz on the charge and tell you how many hits immediately. So what? It doesn't mean that an attack of 120 dice isn't unwieldy and kinda slow.

The actual point goes beyond symbol recognition and counting to symbol meaning. The time-consuming part comes in interpretation and then expression of what those symbols mean in context of what is happening in the setting.

Not surprisingly the Marvel Forever site has some SW hacks on it. I don't know enough SW lore to judge the details:

This isn't the PbtA hack I was thinking of but the Omega edition looks pretty sweet.

Oh and of course there's the Forged in the Dark, Scum and Villainy, which plays quite well. Like it enough after playing in Nobby's game that I want to get a hardcopy sometime.

...and a Rainman type Savant could glance at the 120 dice you just rolled for a 30mob group of Slugga Boyz on the charge and tell you how many hits immediately. So what? It doesn't mean that an attack of 120 dice isn't unwieldy and kinda slow.

The actual point goes beyond symbol recognition and counting to symbol meaning. The time-consuming part comes in interpretation and then expression of what those symbols mean in context of what is happening in the setting.
It really isn’t that hard, you roll less than a dozen dice with maxed out skills, a silly difficulty and a GM going nuts with boosts and penalties. After a session, maybe two it’s as quick as the d6 system.

I can understand it not being to everyones taste (and after playing in a few games isn’t my go to system for rpg’s) but it isn’t the arcane mystery some people spin it as. And for Star Wars probably the best iteration I’ve played.

Not surprisingly the Marvel Forever site has some SW hacks on it. I don't know enough SW lore to judge the details:

This isn't the PbtA hack I was thinking of but the Omega edition looks pretty sweet.

Oh and of course there's the Forged in the Dark, Scum and Villainy, which plays quite well. Like it enough after playing in Nobby's game that I want to get a hardcopy sometime.

I’ll have to give scum and villainy a go.

Edge Studio is a sister company to FFG (both owned by Asmodee) and all of FFG's RPGs were moved over to Edge under a recent restructure. Essentially business as usual except for an 18 month pause as they sort their shit out.
Yes, this was my understanding from the financials.

I’m a huge SW fan as everyone knows but I’ve been let down big time by licensed games in the last few years. I didn’t like FFG’s version so if it’s “business as usual”, I won’t be interested.
What about if they change it to 2d20?

/me runs

But seriously, I'd like to see it done in Cortex Prime.

But given this quote from the article:

Edge has said that they are also working on reprints now that the general license has been secured.

I think that those that think there is something new coming are due for a disappointment. I think they mean new as in 'not really new'.

Last edited:
Not likely, they'll probably just do more of the same...

The "genesys" special dice systems will die as soon as they loose the IP that is propping them up.

FWIW: If you buy the Star wars d6 anniversary edition, it is really easy to convert to a count success based system.

d6 Legend and Conversion below is a conversion to success counting. I have only glanced at it, so no detailed opinion, just saw it existed.

Of course it would be easy to retrap M-Space (Mythras), and grant more Luck Pts (Force Pts), that would work as well. The M-Space Psionics becomes Force Powers, and you could add a few new ones. System done, it just needs new trappings.

But a more pulpy system with an uncluttered character sheet may be best, something rules-lite(ish) and flexible.

Everywhen could be just about perfect for Star Wars, given how well it works for BoL.
Simple and pulpy, which will draw more comparisons with WEG D6 than other systems used for Star Wars, yet also less calulations than WEG.
As a core system, Everywhen could really capture the vibe well I think.

Otherwise Free League D6 would probably do the trick as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:

eh, FASERIP would work perfectly cromulantly for Star Wars if one were so inclined, but as with a lot of fan efforts that one seems overly complicated for no good reason, and is so deep into Extended Universe lore that it comes across as way more ...more, than it needs to be. Star Wars (and FASERIP) is at it best when it's kept simple and straightforward.

You already have an in-game mechanic to perfectly model he Force (Karma), it seems like it would be super easy to integrate the two concepts.

I'm also not certain about some of those Jedi powers (precognition? talk to animals?)

I really liked WEG's division of Sense, Alter, and Control.

I still think Cinematic Unisystem would work very well for Star Wars.

Supers! RED might also prove very fitting.

Of course it would be easy to retrap M-Space (Mythras), and grant more Luck Pts (Force Pts), that would work as well. The M-Space Psionics becomes Force Powers, and you could add a few new ones. System done, it just needs new trappings.

But a more pulpy system with an uncluttered character sheet may be best, something rules-lite(ish) and flexible.

Everywhen could be just about perfect for Star Wars, given how well it works for BoL.
Simple and pulpy, which will draw more comparisons with WEG D6 than other systems used for Star Wars, yet also less calulations than WEG.
As a core system, Everywhen could really capture the vibe well I think.

Otherwise Free League D6 would probably do the trick as well :thumbsup:
Ahem...<whistles innocently>

I feel like this license has just been about vacuuming money out of the rpg community for quite a few years; it keeps hopping around just long enough for each company to pop out a few slick looking hard covers and then its off to the next. Anyone who has access to an old copy of the WEG version should just ignore all this nonsense and start playing instead of collecting the next promised edition. It is an awesome game, and there is tons of supplemental material already in print.

I feel like this license has just been about vacuuming money out of the rpg community for quite a few years; it keeps hopping around just long enough for each company to pop out a few slick looking hard covers and then its off to the next. Anyone who has access to an old copy of the WEG version should just ignore all this nonsense and start playing instead of collecting the next promised edition. It is an awesome game, and there is tons of supplemental material already in print.
Just to clarify again, it doesn't look like this is a new edition. It's just the current game being shuffled between Asmodee's subsidiaries along with a possible new title in the line.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back