El Paso (a Between Hack)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
One of my other projects is a straight up Between hack with no rules change. Just a spooky western skin on the game. The playbooks are based on the Between playbooks and instead of Hargrave House prompts I have prompts about El Paso, and likewise my Unscenes are different aspects of the Southwest. My Mastermind is Edward Reynolds: the Hanged Man, but I have a "meta-mastermind" with the Devil (known as the mysterious Mr. Perdition.

Here is my CATS, and Character Creation Introduction:

CATS
Concept:
El Paso is a tabletop roleplaying game about a group of old west ghost hunters in El Paso, Texas during a supernatural event called the Blood Moon. These hunters learn about various ghostly threats in the town and try to sort out how to solve them. Over time, they become aware of the plans of a criminal mastermind who is taking advantage of the town’s curse and is even making the supernatural events much worse. The hunters will eventually be forced to confront this mastermind in order to save El Paso as well as themselves. The setting is not based on historic El Paso, and is only similar in name and location. Instead, it is inspired by ghost stories, the ballad, El Paso, the movies Pale Rider and Silverado, and the TV show Deadwood. It also is based on many western tropes found throughout western media The game’s mechanics are entirely based on the Between by Jason Cordova and cannot be played without the Between rules.
Aim: The aim of the characters in the story is to keep El Paso safe by investigating supernatural threats and figuring out how to defeat them. Our aim as players is to learn more about these characters’ pasts, as well as to paint a vivid picture of this supernatural version of the American Southwest, which is a responsibility everyone at the table shares.
Tone: The tone of El Paso is dark, mysterious, and eerie. Some humor is acceptable, and some characters have that side to them (Charlatan and Two-Gun Kid), but we try to keep the overall atmosphere dark with the townsfolk dreading upcoming events of the recurring Blood Moon.
Subject Matter: Brutal violence, murder, body horror, prostitution, human trafficking, other criminal endeavors, threats to animals and children, foul language, blasphemy, injustice practices agains indigenous people, genocide, the Devil, and defiling graves and corpses could all appear in this game.

Character Creation Introduction
These characters are the current residents of El Paso, Texas. It is 1875 and the town has been cursed for unknown reasons to have a time of a Blood Moon every five years. During this time, which could last weeks or months, the moon takes on a red hue and dark forces plague the town. This is a time of mysterious deaths, missing people, and ghostly sightings, and the town has noticed that it gets worse with each iteration of the Blood Moon. The hunters are members of El Paso’s Committee of Safety, and they are dedicated to defend the town from whatever dark forces threaten the community. By the time we play these characters, they have already lived through at least one Blood Moon and they all know each other as either leaders of El Paso or people brave enough to take on the mysterious unknown. Each has their own dwelling somewhere in or around El Paso, and each has their own connection to the Blood Moon which we may learn about during gameplay. Players should avoid talking about their characters’ pasts and secrets unless they are prompted to do so by the game’s rules, and instead will come about during gameplay.

The Playbooks:
  • THE CHAMPION is the town marshal of El Paso. They have made a career out of law enforcement. They are also the rival of the criminal mastermind that the El Paso Committee of Safety will eventually have to face. Play the Champion if you want to represent the town’s legal authority, use the Law and other resources to solve problems, and be a rival to the game’s main antagonist.
  • THE CHARLATAN is a master class liar and con artist. They have a former mentor, Mr. Perdition, who taught them everything they know. They will find out more about their relationship and the true identity of the mysterious Mr. Perdition through game play. Play the Charlatan if you want to be the trickiest character in the game as well as being tangentially tied to the supernatural.
  • THE INEVITABLE is the anthropomorphic representation of Death, the actual Grim Reaper. They are the force of nature that lords over death and helps spirits cross over to the other side. They suspect the Devil is behind the Curse of El Paso and they have taken on a mortal form to sort it all out. Play the Inevitable if you want to be extremely powerful and look at death from a different perspective.
  • THE OBSESSED is a highly-educated scholar and researcher. They were traveling to California when they encountered the Curse of El Paso’s Blood Moon five years ago. Not able to understand what they witnessed, they have stayed to research the supernatural phenomenon to try to find a rational explanation. Play the Obsessed if you want to use science and medicine to solve problems, or if you want to go all in to explore the unknown.
  • THE SCORPION is a criminal posing as a legitimate business owner. They are from the east and grew up in poverty, but escaped to the west to start a new life. They have helped build El Paso into the town it is today and have a vision for the future that leaves them very wealthy. Newcomers see them as a leading entrepreneur, but the locals know their more sinister reputation. Play the Scorpion if you want to solve problems with violence or if you’re interested in being a criminal boss.
  • THE TWO-GUN KID is a younger sibling of one of the other hunters. They are a highly skilled gunslinger who have won many quickdraw competitions across the Southwest. They are action orientated and super flashy as they revel being in the limelight. Play the Two-Gun Kid if you want to be a celebrity that has the skills to back up their bluster and bravado and have a family member amongst the other characters.
So far I have three Threats in addition to the Mastermind and I'm play testing it with my group of players this weekend.

The Playbooks:
  • THE CHAMPION is the town marshal of El Paso. They have made a career out of law enforcement. They are also the rival of the criminal mastermind that the El Paso Committee of Safety will eventually have to face. Play the Champion if you want to represent the town’s legal authority, use the Law and other resources to solve problems, and be a rival to the game’s main antagonist.
Sherriff (first was elected in 1872)

I've moved the timeline back to 1880, looks like they had marshals by then. The most famous being Dallas Stoudenmire in 1881, and it looks like they had 6 or so before him.

But this game is not really based on reality and more on fiction and the El Paso ballad by Marty Robbins. :smile:

Here is a rough draft of one of the three Threats I have so far:

The Town of Clear Springs

Presenting the Threat

A letter came through the post office (addressed to a character whose widowed mother lives a half day’s ride from El Paso in Clear Springs, Texas) and reads:

“My beloved daughter/son, I don’t normally write to you for help because as you know I am a proud woman, and we taught you to stand on your own two feet and me and your father always tried to practice what we preached. Living close to El Paso, I’ve enjoyed your visits and you’ve said in the past that nothing would be an imposition in terms of you helping out from time to time, and with your father being passed on for a few years now I have no one else to turn to in a time of need. If you could come calling as soon as you get this letter, your old mother would certainly appreciate it.”

It’s signed by your mother, it is indeed her signature, and it’s dated 4 days ago. The problem is your mother and the entire town of Clear Springs died in the 1877 flood of the Rio Grande.

Ask the hunter who received the letter the following: It’s a half day ride east along the Rio Grande to where Clear Springs used to be. What do you expect to find at the spot where your mother used to live?

Questions and Opportunities
How do you convince the citizens of Clear Springs that they are deceased?
(Complexity: 8)
Answering this allows you to resolve the threat by performing a symbolic funeral ceremony for the town.

The Mask of Denial
Each hunter narrates a time that they could not accept the truth.

The Ghosts of Clear Springs
The ghosts of Clear Springs have no idea they are ghosts. They share a collective denial of their current situation of being dead. If you confront them about it, they will at first appear confused or think you are joking, but if pressed they will either avoid players or even start lashing out at them hoping they will just go away. They appear as living, breathing people, with all their earthly needs and trappings. If harmed or killed, they will return the next day and on the surface, all will have no memory of any incident. However, at night, they will start trying to expel the living from Clear Springs. None of the buildings, food, horses, etc. are actually there, if characters decide to stay in Clear Springs, they will eventually die from exposure and starvation.
Quote: “Welcome to Clear Springs! What brings you to our little slice of heaven along the Rio Grande!”

If El Paso ignores this ghost town…
Newcomers and travelers will be trapped here and die.

Moments
  • While drinking something, you choke and sputter.
  • Your mother has a lot of yard work for you including, chopping and stacking firewood, pulling up the old garden to prepare it for planting, painting the fence and shed, etc. Carla Carver brings you a tall glass of cool water.
  • You hear the sound of the running water of the Rio Grande, and it seems a lot closer than it actually is.
Dangers
  • Accidental Drowning: The entire town is illusionary and the river has changed its course since the flooding. A character who thinks they are on firm footing may find themselves sliding down into darkness into the water of the Rio Grande. Unable to see what’s really there, drowning or being swept away down stream is a possibility.
  • Spirits Lashing Out: The ghosts can collectively attack in several ways: slamming characters around telekinetically, inducing a feeling of intense fear, and having them drown on dry land as their lungs fill up with spectral water.
  • Flood of Rage: If extremely desperate, the ghosts can summon the massive flood that killed them and use it to destroy the ghost town by violently washing it away building by building until it looks as it truly does in reality. Then, the town will reset and be back into denial the following Dawn Phase.
Locations
Your Mother’s House

A small house close to the center of town next to the Green Valley Hotel. It has a small fence around a back garden and a pile of wood that needs to be chopped. Inside is cozy and well kept, your mother has been busy canning pickles.
Paint the scene: You did not grow up in this house, but what items do you see your mother has kept from your childhood?

Vineyards and Processing Shed
A spring from the hills brings water through the town to empty into the river. Several green hills on either side of the spring house the vineyards of Clear Springs. A large gray wooden structure is where all the grapes are taken to be processed and shipped out to El Paso to the west or the distant rail station to the north.
Paint the scene: Besides the rocks, what other strange material did the town use to repair the road?

Clear Springs Methodist Church
A small wooden church painted white with a steeple spire. The lights are out and it appears unused. It has large stained glass windows that are red and green.
Paint the scene: What about the inside of the church makes you think the whole structure is some kind of odd, unused prop?

Green Valley Hotel
The only three story structure in town. The ground floor is a small restaurant with a single long table for guests. The rooms each have two small beds and a sitting area with a plush couch and tall backed chairs.
Paint the scene: No one seems to be staying at the hotel, but many townsfolk come here for dinner. What is on the menu?

Constable’s Office
A small, one room wooden building not much bigger than a shed. It is right next to the Methodist church and it at first appears to be an outbuilding of the church. Inside is a small desk, cot, and a small wood stove.
Paint the scene: It seems like the constable lives on coffee alone, what else makes you think his office/home is too sparse?

Clear Springs General Store
It’s the only adobe building in town and has farm implements for sale on the front deck. Inside are many items you would expect in a small store, brightly colored candies are in large glass jars above and behind the cashier. The family who runs lives in a wooden extension out back.
Paint the scene: Besides the brightly colored candies, what else in the stores stands out with vibrant colors?

Side Characters
Your Mother.

Character describes their mother. She is glad to see you, but a bit sheepish about asking for help.
Quote: “You’re going to think I’m a silly old woman, but I’m just not as able as I used to be. All the folks here are working on the vineyards and have no time for an old woman like me who can’t do all her chores. I just can’t split firewood like I used to could.”

Roberto Hernandez, Clear Springs Constable
Older gentlemen without a firearm. White hair and brown suit. Walks with a slight limp.
Quote: “I tell everyone who comes to Clear Springs the only trouble we have around these parts is people forgetting to lock their doors at night and the wind makes them bang in the night.”

Clara Carver, Hotel Employee
Golden hair pulled back in a long ponytail. Light blue dress with a small white apron. Genuinely glad to see the character whose mother lives next door. She works in the Green Valley Hotel.
Quote: “To be completely honest, and don’t think this too forward of me to say, but I really miss you coming to visit your mother. Why do you stay away for so long these days?”

Andrew Ross, Hotel Owner and Manager
Wears silver wire spectacles. Middle aged with hair combed back. Wears a brown striped suit with matching vest.
Quote: “We're hoping more visitors come soon, hopefully we'll have a big turn out for the big grape festival we have next month. You should stick around for it, or at least come back and see the festival.”

Victor Melendez, Vineyard Owner
White suit with deep burgundy vest. Gray bowler hat. About 60 years old and has a broad grin.
Quote: “The secret to our success is the river. The grapes need plenty of irrigation in this climate. Have you tried the wine the Franciscan mission makes from our grapes?”

Clues
  1. A mysterious leak that will not stop dripping.
  2. A dry box filled with water.
  3. A soggy book now unreadable in a dry bookshelf.
  4. Whispers from nowhere saying, “The strangers must leave.”
  5. Newspaper clipping about the growth of Clear Springs due to the vineyards.
  6. Behind someone’s reflection in a mirror the room is completely underwater.
  7. A live fish in a strange place.
  8. A worker harvesting grapes out of season.
  9. A little bright green glass bottle.
  10. A dead body of a traveling shoe salesman. No discernible cause of death and leaning against a tree.
  11. No insects or small animals in the area.
  12. A lone figure on the roof of a building in distress, but then vanishes.
  13. A child’s wooden toy horse.
  14. A wet, broad brimmed hat.
  15. A hand drawn map of Clear Springs with a X marked in a seemingly random spot.
  16. A miniature diorama of a western town.
  17. A bunch of purple grapes with no flavor.
  18. The town has no cemetery.
  19. If a character has the Cosmic Passage marked they have a dream where they are in Clear Springs at night and the relentless rain is causing the river to rise.
  20. A letter addressed to the town of Clear Springs congratulating them on the success of their vineyards, signed “Mr. Perdition.”
Rewards
  • Your mother’s golden locket with your portrait inside; add it to your Personal Quarters.
  • A bottle of red wine made from grapes from Clear Springs; add it to your Personal Quarters.
  • A memento from the investigation; ask another hunter what it is and then add it to your Personal Quarters
  • A memento from the investigation; ask another hunter what it is and then add it to your Personal Quarters.
  • A memento from the investigation; ask another hunter what it is and then add it to your Personal Quarters

I'm running the Lady in White tonight, it's the first sighting during the Blood Moon event. A woman in white walking at night on a lonely stretch of road. If you give her a ride on your wagon/coach/carriage, she rides for a few miles and then disappears, if you don't offer her a ride, you have a fatal crash. One such crash took place the night before and the players need to investigate and confirm that the Curse of El Paso is still present.

The Lady in White
Presenting the Threat

A wagon laden with supplies for the local businesses rolled off the side of Foothills Road right outside of town last night killing the two drivers, Clive Barns and Jose Morena, and all four of the horses pulling it. Deputy Marshal Dave Wainwright spent most of the night recovering the bodies and right at dawn he saw a woman dressed in white standing up by the road where the wagon went over the edge. He waved to her, but instead of waving back she just turned and walked away. He went up this morning to where she was going, but only found a collapsed, abandoned farm.

Deputy Wainwright said he told one of the workers from the general store who was helping recover the wreckage about the woman in white. The worker said that was funny because a state courier, Tomas Chavez, arrived from Austin two nights ago and asked about a woman he had seen walking at night on the Foothills Road.

Ask any hunter the following: What confirms that the lady in white the deputy saw was a ghost?

Threat Questions and Opportunities:
  • What fuels this ghost’s desire to haunt the land of the living? (Complexity: 4) Answering this unlocks the next question.
  • How can we get this ghost to pass on to the next world? (Complexity: 4) Answering this allows the hunters to resolve the threat by confronting the ghost and either destroying her anchor or resolving her issue.

Last edited:
We did session zero where we made characters and went over the game's setting. They all play in my the Between campaign so they know the rules.
Character Notes from tonight:
  • The Scorpion was the playbook no one chose.
  • The Two-Gun Kid (Nick Flint, the Lightning Kid) is brothers with the Champion/Town Marshal (Jacob Flint)
  • The Charlatan (Professor Victor St. John) is set up as a snake oil salesmen.
  • The Inevitable (Death) is a traveling teacher named Mr. Mortimer.
  • The Obsessed (Dr. Vasquez) picked the areas of Chemistry/Astronomy/Human Anatomy as his areas of expertise.
We started the Lady in White threat and half the team went to check out the scene of the fatal accident and nearby abandoned farm, while the two who remained in El Paso were off to track down the courier who had witnessed a woman in white on the same road two nights before.

We only were able to actually play for about 40 minutes and the rest was all on character creation. So far, so good.

I'm trying to give the Scorpion a make over:

THE ROOK is a criminal that has a legitimate business as a front. They grew up in poverty, but developed skills that allowed them to get ahead in life. They have helped prime El Paso to become a boomtown in the near future. Appearing as civic minded, most locals still know they are a criminal behind the scenes. Play the Rook if you want to be a cunning criminal or if you want to protect El Paso for selfish reasons.

We had another playtest of El Paso tonight.
  • The players are just about ready to answer the first question of the Lady in White threat. They have plenty of clues and will probably wrap that threat up next time.
  • The Two Gun Kid failed a roll and the ramification was being called out for being a quickdraw cheat. It ended poorly for the guy who tested him. He basically told the guy to throw a coin up in the air and he'd shoot it, but he pistol whipped the guy as soon as he flipped the coin.
  • The Inevitable (Grim Reaper) had a flashback to the first death he witnessed as personified death. It was a child who was separated from its tribe and he comforted him as he froze to death.
  • The Champion (town marshal) asked the Charlatan (posing as a medical professor) to explain what was the cause of death of a skeleton they found, and he was able to fake his way out of it without tipping off he has no idea what he is talking about. Later, the Obsessed actually reassembled the skeleton and was able to tell it was a man who died from a small caliber bullet to the back of the head, no exit wound.
  • I introduced the second threat ("The Town of Clear Springs") with a letter from the Champion's (town marshal) mom asking for help in the nearby town of Clear Springs, except the problem is the mother died 3 years earlier when the town was destroyed in the 1877 flood of the Rio Grande.
  • The Mastermind (Ed Reynolds, the Hanged Man) appeared at the saloon the marshal was at and they had their first encounter. They were former lawmen together in Oklahoma, but Ed turned into an outlaw and was eventually tried and hung, but is now back from the dead. Ed passed it off as the hanging didn't kill him so because the execution was botched they had to let him go, but he was given a court appointed job as Star Carrier for the postal service. It was a great scene.

Last edited:
We wrapped up the 3 session play test of El Paso last night.
  • The two brothers (the Champion and the Two Gun Kid) and the Inevitable (the Grim Reaper) explored the town of Clear Springs, which was destroyed 3 years earlier in a flood and had killed their mother. The town is illusionary and its inhabitants, including their mother, are actually all ghosts who trap the living in their daily routines.
  • The Two Gun Kid believed the whole illusion was real and was in turn mad at his brother because he obviously falsely lead him to believe that their mother had died. The ghosts were pretty welcoming/convincing, but the Inevitable was able to see through the entire illusion. He is unable to tell the other characters what's up as he has to disguise his supernatural nature. But was basically, "let's do your mom's chores and get out here."
  • The end of staying the night with the Two Gun Kid sinking further into the delusion and the Champion getting more weirded out. Meanwhile, the Inevitable was having some very stern conversations with the delusional ghosts of the townsfolk.
  • Back in El Paso, the Charlatan and Deputy Wainwright (side character) investigated the abandoned farmstead but then at night had an extended wagon ride with the ghost of the Lady in White.
  • The Unscene last time was "the Las Cruses Stage Coach" and this time it was "the Texas Diamondback Rattlesnake."
I need to fix some key points of the Two Gun Kid, specifically, what sets off his once per session challenge based on a failed roll. The Inevitable needs some tightening up and I need a non-law enforcement option for the Champion. The Champion also needs some more tie-ins with the Mastermind as per the Between's Explorer.

This is my working draft of the El Paso Mastermind, Ed Reynolds, "the Hanged Man."

Mastermind: Edward Reynolds, the Hanged Man
Background: Edward Reynolds was a former associate of the Champion (or other hunter) who was a fallen sheriff turned outlaw. Edward was a sheriff in a booming cattle town in Oklahoma, and had the reputation of being a professional, albeit stern and sometimes brutal in his response to disturbances of the peace. He typically dresses as a cattleman himself in tan and dark brown work clothes. He has a thick black mustache and a deeply tanned face from a life outdoors. His career in law enforcement ran afoul with a local magistrate and in his early 50s, he soon went on the run from the law and used his skills further out west as a bandit leader and cattle rustler. He and his crew of desperados were apprehended, tried, and hanged. His neck still bares the angry red scar from the rope burn of the noose. During the Night Phase, Reynolds appears more gaunt with a twisted body and looks as if he has been dead for a few days. Likewise, his servants look more ghastly with visible wounds from their deaths during the Night Phase.​
At the first sign of the Blood Moon, Reynolds returned from beyond the grave. He made a deal with the Devil to take over management of the Curse of El Paso and crank up the horror of the Blood Moon. Once again, his particular set of skills are being deployed, but this time he is fueled by not only anger, but also by Hell.​
Quote: “I ain’t as dead as the court actually wanted me, but apparently there’s a rule that if you survive the execution, the law lets bygones be bygones. That’s not me though, I hold grudges.”​
Why he wants to destroy El Paso: Edward was brought back to the Land of the Living by the Devil and is now his chief agent during the Blood Moon. Edward relishes in this role and is delighted to once more be turned loose upon humanity. He has actually decided his marching orders to harass El Paso are a bit soft, and wants to make the people of El Paso fear the Blood Moon more than they already do.​
The Mastermind Conspiracy
THE FIRST MASTERMIND CLUE...
...is always Edward Reynolds’ first appearance in the story.​
It is a brief encounter where the hunters see him while out and about in El Paso, and he respectfully greets the hunters, especially his former partner and seems genuinely glad to see them. You should emphasize that he seems a bit crooked and damaged from being hung, but he seems more focused and less cavalier as he once was as a sheriff. His cover story is that he is now, “a court appointed Star Route Carrier for the postal service delivering mail to dangerous places. They even gave me this cheap, tin postal badge. Ironic.”​
1 END OF SESSION SCENE
This layer is unlocked after the hunters discover the FIRST Mastermind Clue.​
At the end of the session of play in which the first Mastermind Clue is discovered, narrate a scene showing Reynolds in a dark earthen basement or abandoned mine lit by several old oil lamps. He is meeting with a small group of battle scarred men showing them sketches spread out over a long, rough table. They are sketches of each member of the Committee of Safety as well as a hand drawn map of El Paso. One of the men asks in a deep voice, “Which one of these is most dangerous, Ed?” Reynolds leans down and appears to be putting the sketches in some order and says, “Let me describe each of them to you, and I’ll let you fellers decide.” He picks up one (name the hunter), “Let me tell you about this one first.. .” he starts as the scene ends.​
Between sessions, write down what you think Reynolds’ ultimate scheme for destroying El Paso is on the lines below.​
2 THE HISTORY BETWEEN X AND THE COMMITTEE OF SAFETY
This layer is unlocked after the hunters discover THREE Mastermind Clues.​
The following details can now be revealed whenever you wish—and in any order—as a Keeper reaction:​
1855: Reynolds was commissioned as a young lieutenant in the US Army. He served with distinction along the Mexican border after the war with Mexico. He gained the reputation of being a quick thinking, professional young officer and was respected by the soldiers under his command.​
1864: During the Civil War, Reynolds, now a civilian, helped defend communities in Kansas from roving bands of Confederate marauders. He was able to organize towns and turn average town folk into trained militias. After the war, he officially started his career in law enforcement as a sheriff in Oklahoma.​
1875: Reynolds’ first few years as sheriff were exemplary. However, over time he increasingly became more aggressive and brutal in dealing with criminals as well as the citizens of his community. He crossed the line many times by savagely beating innocent people while straight up killing people suspected of criminal behavior. The state sent a team to investigate, and they quickly decided he needed to be arrested and brought up on charges. But he fled west instead.​
1879: After building a crew of outlaws, he successfully robbed and terrorized several western communities and territories. His former partner (or other hunter) caught up with him and confronted him, but he was able to escape. A few weeks later in El Paso, he and his gang was eventually brought to justice, tried and hung.​
Between sessions, write down the names of three Side Characters you’d like to see return during the Mastermind Threat.​
Take some time to revise your idea about what Reynolds; ultimate scheme is. Take into consideration the roles that the above Side Characters might play.​
3 A THREAT BECOMES A SERVANT
This layer is unlocked after the hunters discover FIVE Mastermind Clues.​
Choose an active Threat and narrate a scene showing how the Threat becomes a servant of the Mastermind. Note this in the Servants section and tell the hunters that the Threat can no longer be resolved (it also ceases to be “active” for purposes of presenting new Threats, though it is still a danger in El Paso).​
Between sessions, write down the names of two more Side Characters you’d like to see return during the Mastermind Threat.​
Revise your idea about what Reynolds’ ultimate scheme is. Take into consideration how the Threat that is now a Servant might fit into that scheme, as well as any Side Characters you have written down to this point.​
4 DIRECT ACTION AGAINST THE COMMITTEE OF SAFETY
This layer is unlocked after the hunters discover TEN Mastermind Clues.​
Reynolds’ Servants can now take direct action against the hunters, usually as the result of a Keeper reaction.​
Make one final revision to your idea about what Reynolds’ ultimate scheme is. Take into consideration everything that has happened in the story up to this point.​
5 THE MASTERMIND THREAT
This layer is unlocked after the hunters discover FIFTEEN Mastermind Clues.​
You can now create the Mastermind Threat following the guidelines in the rulebook and your notes from this sheet. At this point, you may cease presenting new Threats. Once all active Threats are resolved, you may present the Mastermind Threat. After the Mastermind Threat has been resolved, select a new Mastermind to keep the story going, or end the game by asking each player to narrate a short epilogue for their character.​
SERVANTS
SERGEANT HAMMET​
Large man in his 50s with a handlebar mustache. Wears a long black wool coat and bowler hat. Sergeant Hammet served with Reynolds as a sergeant major during his time in the army. He was killed fighting for the Union in the Civil War at the Battle of Shiloh. He is still a capable fighter with no hesitation to kill when in combat. He leads the small group of formerly dead associates loyal to Reynolds even in death.​
Quote: “We have all seen things that cannot be unseen. This is the weight we carry and makes us who we are. Reynolds sends you his regards, sir.”​
BYRD​
Grey suit with a red tie. Small man with shifty eyes and whose ginger hair gives him a fox-like appearance. He was a former deputy sheriff back when Reynolds was a sheriff in Oklahoma, and Byrd was there when Reynolds first started down his path of brutality. He was gunned down by a gambler who accused him of cheating in cards in Oklahoma City. He is still quick with a knife and enjoys inflicting pain upon others.​
Quote: “We hear lots about El Paso, this is my first trip this far west. I’ve been way down south though. Way down. One of your fellers are from the deep south too right? And I ain’t talking about Alabama.”​
FELINA​
Long black skirt trimmed with black lace and a red and black striped blouse. Usually wears a small black hat as well. Her long dark hair is often pulled back, but sometimes hangs loose half way down her back. She was a former cantina dancer from the El Paso area who was accused of instigating a murder, but she committed suicide before she was arrested.​
Quote: “I grew up around here, just across the river. But that was long ago. Enough about me, where can a girl get a drink around here these days?”​
SERVANT FROM LAYER THREE & NOTES:
MASTERMIND CLUES:
  1. A rattlesnake is twisted up in the shape of a hangman’s noose, but untangles and slithers away.
  2. A coil of rope is piled up where it shouldn’t be.
  3. A newspaper clipping about four horse thieves being hung.
  4. A stray dog trotting down the street with a rope noose around its neck.
  5. A revelation that a Side Character was in a Kansas militia trained by Reynolds.
  6. A small bit of wire twisted up like a hangman’s noose.
  7. A fly dangling from a spider web.
  8. A homeless drifter was found dead in an alley with a hangman’s noose around his neck, however, the cause of death was alcohol poisoning.
  9. Reynolds’ name turns up in a (pick one: ledger/social register/guest list/deed/something else).
  10. Veterans of the Mexican War are honored with a small obelisk next to the townhall and it has Reynolds’ name amongst those listed who served.
  11. You are being followed by two large men in dark coats but avoid capture if pursued.
  12. A black stray dog follows you for an entire day.
  13. A worn book on the Civil War Battle of Shiloh.
  14. During a resolution of a violent threat an unknown sniper takes shots at a hunter.
  15. An unknown black cat is stalking the dwelling of one of the hunters for several days.
  16. A faded tarot card of the Hanged Man in an odd place.
  17. A crude drawing of a gallows and noose in the dirt.
  18. A hunter with the Cosmic Passage marked sees a dark humanoid shape with glowing red eyes behind them in a reflection.
  19. If the Inevitable or Charlatan are in play, one sees a vision of a hooded man hanging from a gallows.
  20. If a hunter has the condition, “Most Beloved,” they receive a handwritten note that says, “I shall save you until last.”

Beyond the Mastermind is the Devil, aka Mr. Perdition. But other than as a side character and a few clues related to him, I've not sorted out how to incorporate the Devil into the game's Threat mechanics. He is tied specifically to the Charlatan as their mysterious mentor and to the Inevitable as their supernatural nemesis.

I finished up my first draft today. I ended up with these threats:

The Lady in White: A fatal wagon crash is blamed on the mysterious figure of a woman in white. Appearing only at night, this forlorn person appears to be a ghost. The Vigilance Committee investigates to see if they can help the ghost pass on to the other side and avoid more deadly accidents.

The Town of Clear Springs: A letter is received from a hunter’s mother from a nearby town that asks for help. The problem is the mother and the town were both lost in a flood three years ago. The Vigilance Committee enters an actual ghost town to investigate.

The Haunting on Santa Fe Street: A ghost of a child keeps appearing to only one hunter and it appears as though time keeps stopping in El Paso. Someone is using spectral energy to apparently alter reality. The Vigilance Committee investigates how this is being done and helps the ghosts in the process.

The Ghost Riders of Sawtooth Ridge: The ghosts of five Texas Rangers are searching for someone to bring to justice. They are indiscriminately killing anyone they find out on the trails. The Vigilance Committee can either fight these grim specters or team up with them to make sure evil does not go unpunished.

Dancehall Days: The Red Rock Cantina and Dancehall is either being stalked by a malicious spirit or a serial killer. The dancers of this popular nightspot in El Paso are in trouble either way. The Vigilance Committee investigates to find the true nature of the murderer to bring them to justice.

The Curse of the Rebel Gold: A gold heist in Mexico goes bad right at the border near El Paso. Cursed gold from the Civil War is in town and ghosts and desperados alike want to claim it. The Vigilance Committee tries to safeguard the gold until they can sort things out, and may become stinking rich along the way.

There are also two special Threats associated with particular playbooks:

Dead or Alive (the Rook): The Rook’s past has caught up with them and they are wanted dead or alive. The bounty hunter in pursuit has some unorthodox methods to trap his target. The Vigilance Committee has a problem on its hands when one of its own members turns up wanted by the law.

Greased Lightning (the Two-gun Kid): A contender for Fastest Gun in the West shows up in El Paso, and immediately appears to be something other than they claim. They seem to be able to do the impossible and they are gunning for the Two-gun Kid. The Vigilance Committee supports their local celebrity team member before they are dethroned.

I might try to add one more Threat if I can. Here are some sample character portraits:
Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 12.42.32 AM.png

The Playbooks have been going through some revisions:

• The Champion is now the Marshal. Has links to a dark past and now has the Rook's playbook threat, Dead or Alive.
  • The Charlatan is relatively unchanged, but has a Raises Suspicion mechanic that goes up when they use their scamming moves.
  • The Inevitable is now in a mortal's body for some reasons unknown to them, but picked up Death Touch. More of the other 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse worked into their masks of the past and future.
  • The Obsessed was removed.
  • The Lost was added. A person of faith who now doubts their religion and their primary move is Fallen but Not Forgotten.
  • The Rook is now the Bootstrapper. They still have a criminal background but are moving more into legitimate businesses. Still protecting El Paso out of their own self interests that it become a Boom Town.
  • The Two-gun Kid is now supernaturally powered where they made a deal at the crossroads with an old gunslinger in white. Trying to reclaim their soul will be the big theme.
More playtesting scheduled in April.

Last edited:
Hey PJ, any chance that you'd consider doing a one-shot of El Paso for some pubbers if we could drum up the interest? We could record and/or write it up afterward too. Actually, I smell advertising and exposure, but mostly I just want to play the game. :grin:

Awesome. I'm pretty sure we can drum up enough warm bodies for a one-shot.

I'm down for it!

Games like the Between rock in campaign play with the Mastermind and multiple threats at the same time. I played in a one shot of the Between that last for 4 hours and the keeper was able to work in all the phases and we were able to solve the first threat, so it could happen.

El Paso first harbinger threat is the Lady in White and is not as action packed as some other the others. It's more about setting the mood. So far Ghost Riders of Sawtooth Ridge, Dead or Alive, and Rebel Gold are the ones with the most gunslinginginging.

Do you have playtest Docs available somewhere if people wanted to check out the game so far? I don't remember if you posted those somewhere or not....

I did on the El Paso channel on discord, but they've all changed in one way or another. I'll get some new ones posted after this upcoming playtest in April. There is some new tricky parts to a few of the playbooks that haven't been tested and might get the boot.

The CATS at the top is still applicable and these are brief descriptions of the available playbooks:

The Playbooks:

THE BOOTSTRAPPER
is a business owner who has come up from poverty by providing goods and services that society frowns upon, but flock to anyway. They have set the stage for El Paso to become a boomtown in the near future, and the Blood Moon threatens everything. Play the Bootstrapper if you want to be a cunning entrepreneur or if you want to protect El Paso for selfish reasons.

THE CHARLATAN is a master class liar and con artist. They have a former mentor, Mr. Perdition, who taught them everything they know. They will find out more about their relationship and the true identity of the mysterious Mr. Perdition through game play. Play the Charlatan if you want to be the trickiest character in the game as well as being tangentially tied to the supernatural.

THE INEVITABLE is the anthropomorphic representation of Death, they are the actual Grim Reaper. They are the force of nature that lords over death and helps spirits cross over to the otherside. It is unknown to them why they are in mortal form, and why they have ended up in El Paso. Play the Inevitable if you want to be extremely powerful and look at death from a different perspective.

THE LOST is a person who has lost their religion as well as their way in the world. The horrors of the war have shattered their faith in their Lord as well as humanity. Even though they are fallen in their eyes, they are not forgotten. Play the Lost if you want to play a character who was on the road to damnation, but took a left turn to El Paso and now sees a shot at Redemption.

THE MARSHAL is the primary law enforcement official of El Paso. The job fell into their laps after the last Blood Moon event when they lost someone they loved. Play the Marshal if you want to represent the town’s legal authority, use the Law and other resources to solve problems, and try to hide from their dark past.

THE TWO-GUN KID is a younger sibling of one of the other hunters. They are a highly skilled gunslinger who have won many quickdraw competitions across the Southwest. They acquired their abilities from a mysterious Woman in Gold. Play the Two-Gun Kid if you want to be a celebrity that has the skills to back up their bluster and bravado and have a family member amongst the other characters.

Starting the second playtest with folks from the Gauntlet Discord channel. We'll play the revised version of the playbooks, threats, and mastermind every Wednesday in April. I'll post how it goes.

I'm excited!

First game with have the following characters:
  • The Charlatan: Oliver Lovejoy
  • The Inevitable: Dr. Zedrith
  • The Two-gun Kid: Caleb "the Dapper Kid" Zedrith
  • The Bootstrapper: Kathy Bates, owner of the Plucked Peacock Saloon
So far the only thing that differentiates it from the Between (other than the setting) is that each character has a dwelling in town versus everyone living in Hargrave House. Each dwelling has some paint the scene questions that help flesh them out.

The Keeper activated the Inevitable's Death Touch as a complication that almost killed NPC Deputy Wainwright as well as activated the Two-gun Kid's being called out by an NPC who he promptly killed in the night phase, "Fair and square, like."

I was playing the Charlatan and used two masks of the past during the first session. LOL

In the playtest today we further explored the mechanics/role playing behind the Two-gun Kid being the kid brother of the woman that Death is inhabiting with the Inevitable. It was the one relationship I was worried about working with the Two-gun Kid having to be another player's sibling. So far, no hitch.

We also activated the Two-gun Kid's special threat, Greased Lightning and the player was okay testing it out even though it 1. puts the character at a major risk and 2. takes away his signature cursed pistol move. It's really for later on in a campaign, but it is prematurely in play now.

Here is a 13 minute podcast of the first session from the player who is playing the Two-gun Kid.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 5.05.08 PM.png

We've played the 4 session long playtest 3 times now and have one more next week. Additionally, we played a one-shot of El Paso with a group that plays the Between. Here are some key points:
  • In both games the players chose the Bootstrapper, Two-gun Kid, and the Inevitable. In this playtest, I went with the unplayed playbook, the Lost (Fallen but not forgotten).
  • All three different groups have REALLY leaned into their characters. I've seen 3 Two-gun Kids and 3 Inevitables now and there is a a lot of range in how they are played and built.
  • The break out character has been the Bootstrapper that comes across as a "mini-Mastermind." And twice now with two different players, they have come from left field was raw, violence. The Bootstrapper is NOT to be underestimated or trifled with.
  • The Inevitable and the Two-gun Kid has been group favorites all 3 times. I would note that the Inevitable (the Grim Reaper/Death) is the most noble of the playbooks with all the others being tragically flawed in some way. The Two-gun Kid is really tragic at this point while being the most humorous so far.

The initial Patreon release date of the Ghost of El Paso is this summer June/July in two parts. The full game will be released on DriveThru this fall.

Here is the Gauntlet publishing discord heads up:
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 10.30.09 AM.png
I'm the Brothers Slack on there. :smile:

The Between: Ghosts of El Paso is nearly finished. The playbooks are all complete, with the Marshal getting the biggest overhaul. Here’s a preview of the cover art, by @rapidpunches

FVO63L2WIAU_2zY.jpeg

The game will be released in 2 parts: Part 1 comes out on the @GauntletRPG Patreon in late June/early July, Part 2 in late July/early August.

All that is left is editing the Threats and Unscenes, but they are pretty much where they're going to be content wise. I might start running it for my Sunday group to give the revised playbooks a whirl.

I think they have about half the art at the moment.

Last edited:
Thanks, Fenris-77 Fenris-77 !!

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 7.32.27 AM.png

The preview includes all 6 playbooks, reference sheet, plus 1 Threat, and the full game comes out in July and includes:
  • How to run the first session
  • Reference sheet with the Between moves
  • 6 playbook
  • The mastermind
  • 10 threats
  • Unscenes of the Southwest
  • And Dusk Paint the Scenes of El Paso
$6 Patreon gets you the preview now at: https://www.patreon.com/gauntlet/posts

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back