Elric RPG is back in english . Mournblade by Le Département

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

jawad

Pubber
Reaction score
Hello all !

I hope I am putting this in the right forum.

I wanted to let you know that Elric RPG as a new version in english. We, Le Département, are publishing Mournblade since 10 years now. This is a rcih game, with many scenarios, greats arts, cool game design and a strong roleplaying point of view.

We have been asked many times to translate Mournblade into english. As a reward to our backers on Elric, Rise of the Young Kingdoms Boardgame we have released Mournblade Starter Set.

Here is the news :

As some of you already know, we also publish tabletop roleplaying games! We have been publishing, for 10 years now, a very successfull RPG : Mournblade !
Mournblade is an official RPG based on the Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock.

And today, as a Tuesday Treat, we offer Mournblade Starter Set digital product to all backers of THE ETERNAL CHAMPION and THE WHITE WOLF pledges.

20773a4edad977fbcc697f4981b576cc_original.png

Immerse yourself in the dark fantasy world of Elric and his soul eating Black Sword : Stormbringer. This starter set gets you playing Mournblade using the CYD system designed and tailored for an exciting gaming experience in the world of Elric of Melniboné. Roleplay as a Chosen, a Champion of Law or Chaos. You have been chosen by the Lords of the Higher Worlds to serve their designs !

This starter set digital product contains everything you need to begin playing Mournblade. Just add dice and a pen.

• A 56-page rulebook containing core rules, a bit of sorcery, and equipment needed to fight in the Young Kingdoms.
  • A 30-page quest book Dangerous Games. This quest is an introduction to the world of Mournbalde. While alternating between action and combat, players will be able to explore the fundamentals of the game.
  • 6 pre-generated characters to choose from, including a sorcerer from Pan Tang, a brave Captain of the Purple Towns and a sellsword from Lormyr.
  • An HD original map of the Young Kingdoms

The complete Mournblade collection is soon to be released in English. We'll tell you more about it very soon, and in the meantime, we wish you a pleasant exploration of the Young Kingdoms!

Since that's for backers, when might it be available for purchase for those of us who didn't back the board game?

Neat! The cover art on the Starter Set book looks familiar. Is this derived from or compatible with the old game from the 80s or is it a completely new thing with a different system?

Anyone know what kind of system this uses?
There's an overview here:

In terms of system, it's a d10+stuff to add

Neat! The cover art on the Starter Set book looks familiar. Is this derived from or compatible with the old game from the 80s or is it a completely new thing with a different system?
It is a completely new game, however fans have built a conversion sheet to convert your old BRP characters to the CYD system (Mournblade system)

Will it be available at Drivethru at some point?
May be , but not anytime soon to be honest. The next step would probably a KS. Just checking how the Starter Set is being welcomed by the coimunity. At the moment, it is quite cool.

Anyone know what kind of system this uses?
We use our own system : the CYD system. Chose Your Dice System.

In technical terms, the character is defined by five attributes: Skill, Clairvoyance (mind, intelligence, etc.), Presence, Power (strength and resistance), Toughness (composure, courage). And from these attributes come four others: Defence, Health (life points), Soul, Speed. These attributes have values between 1 and 10 and to these attributes are associated skills. To succeed in an action, the sum of the skill and the associated attribute is calculated. The score of a die is added and the whole must beat a difficulty threshold. Very classic, in short. So yes, but there is a subtlety.

The system used here is the CYD (Choose Your Dice). What is CYD? When you make a skill check or any other action, you choose to roll 1D10 OR 1D20. If you choose the d10 then the raw result of the die applies. If you choose the 20 die then several things can happen depending on the result of the die roll. If the result is even, the value rolled is added. If the result is odd, the value is zero! Furthermore, if you roll a 1 or an 11, it is automatically a critical failure. So there you go, it's up to you whether you want to push your luck or your skill. We love this idea to give the player the choice to try a heroic action or risk wallowing.

For combat it's just as simple, (with a few subtleties on different types of attacks), the base being always the same. To hit an opponent, you roll a die adding the weapon skill + attribute and you must exceed the defence value plus the weapon skill of the defender. If you get a success margin of 10, it's a critical and you double the damage.

That's basically it. Making Mournblade a simple system to play, and we think very accessible., with the capacity to seduce hard core gamers (that we are all deepdown :smile: :smile: :smile: )

I don’t need another big box board game I have no one to play with so I hadn’t backed this project but I did back the kickstarter today to get the starter set of Mournblade

May be , but not anytime soon to be honest. The next step would probably a KS. Just checking how the Starter Set is being welcomed by the coimunity. At the moment, it is quite cool.
The reason I asked about Drivethru is that I'm not able to back the KS (and probably won't be able to back any more projects this year). I was hoping the starter set would go up on Drivethru later, for people like me who can't back the current KS. While a KS for the English translation is great, I know that would be a ways off, so being able to get the Starter Set sometime in between so I can check out the system and maybe run a game is more likely to motivate me to back for the full game when it happens.

That's sad. Elric's still hella popular and well-regarded in geek circles. I wouldn't expect it to make D&D money, but I'd be surprised if it didn't do pretty well. Looks like this game joins Agone on my "I should learn French someday for this" list.

That's sad. Elric's still hella popular and well-regarded in geek circles. I wouldn't expect it to make D&D money, but I'd be surprised if it didn't do pretty well. Looks like this game joins Agone on my "I should learn French someday for this" list.
I know French. If only the shipping from France* wasn't such a hassle for some unspecified reason:shade:!

*Never had issues with shipping from Germany, though that might be due to me using a secondary shipping company for those. Still, that's what I've switched to for my Amazon purchases:thumbsup:!

I kind of wish I could get an English version, I'll never manage reading French. Alas.

Kind of an unusual thing: you can "pledge" 10 Euro for the RPG and get absolutely nothing related to the boardgame that is the focus of the KS. I don't think I've ever encountered something like this in a KS before.

I can't get the boardgame (it looks beautiful, but I know I'd never get around to playing it). But the PDF of the RPG looks like a good deal. I'm tempted.

Kind of an unusual thing: you can "pledge" 10 Euro for the RPG and get absolutely nothing related to the boardgame that is the focus of the KS. I don't think I've ever encountered something like this in a KS before.

I can't get the boardgame (it looks beautiful, but I know I'd never get around to playing it). But the PDF of the RPG looks like a good deal. I'm tempted.
Well, with KS being treated increasingly like a pre-order platform, that's only logical, and I'm tempted as well:thumbsup:!

I've seen it before- usually when the focus is not what you're pledging for, but something added.

Would you like to schedule a Q&A at Randomworlds, my friendly TTRPG Discord chatroom?

Past guests include Kenneth Hite, Robin D. Laws, Greg Stafford, Greg Stolze, Marc Miller, Jonathan Tweet, Margaret Weis, Mike Pondsmith, Ken St. Andre, Peter Adkison, and Mark Rein•Hagen.

Hello all, let me relay an info that might interest you, as we would talk about the boardgame and about Mournblade.
It will be a good moment to ask all your questions !

Live chat with Jawad and Marcus, this Thursday

Hello all !

Now that our Elric KS campaign is coming to an end (THIS friday), we couldn't possibly leave you without inviting you to a live stream to chat with you!

We are pleased to invite you to an exchange with Jawad (project manager) and Marcus, administrator of the Stormbringer RPG website, whom we thank very much!

We'll have the opportunity to talk about Elric, the game, how it was designed and how respectful (or treacherous) it is to the lore of Elric created by Michael Moorcock. Of course, we welcome your questions!

This event will be broadcast on Thursday, September 29 on our Facebook page. Depending on where you are in the world, you can join us at...

West Coast - 12 PM (UTC - 7)
East Coast - 2 PM (UTC - 4)
Paris - 9 PM (UTC + 2)
Wellington - 9 AM (September 30 - UTC +12)

And if you can't be with us, you will of course be able to watch the replay of the video!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back