Espionage and Modern-Day Action RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Sorry I was referring to the Archer cartoon series world.

Oops!

Guess I really should get down to watching Archer at some point. Sort of a weird oversight for a Bond fan like me. Kinda like how I was once a film student who hadn't seen the Godfather.

It looks like Modiphius has a 5e compatible game called The Spy Game coming soon. No real thoughts on that other than it's something I've been seeing pre-order listings for.

As I think has already been mentioned, Modern AGE seems like it would be a good espionage RPG. That's the vibe I get from it. Could also have potential as a Cyberpunk RPG.

Speaking of Cyberpunk, it's pretty much already an espionage RPG anyway. Infinity (2d20) has a strong streak of espionage in it as well, albeit futuristic.

I've always wondered about Spycraft, but the Stargate SG-1 game put me off, and I think that used the same rules. Way too fiddly for my tastes. Although, I'm often tempted to pick up the game, as the 1st edition has been super cheap for a long time.

The Spy Game is already out and it’s by Black Cats Gaming. I can’t recommend it because 5e doesn’t do it for me for modern gaming.

Spycraft 1e and 2e are totally different beasts. Spycraft 2e is the most dense RPG I’ve ever tried to read. I can’t recommend it because there is just too much there.

I loved Spycraft 1E. I even tried to do a series of adventures for it under the Powered by Spycraft program, but the licensing people at AEG could never answer some basic questions I had about some ambiguous stuff in the license, so I eventually just gave up.

Spycraft 2E was just ridiculously over-complicated for no real improvement or payoff.

I was curious about 3E, but that ended up being vapourware, so I doubt we’ll ever know what it could have been.

I loved Spycraft 1E. I even tried to do a series of adventures for it under the Powered by Spycraft program, but the licensing people at AEG could never answer some basic questions I had about some ambiguous stuff in the license, so I eventually just gave up.

Spycraft 2E was just ridiculously over-complicated for no real improvement or payoff.

I was curious about 3E, but that ended up being vapourware, so I doubt we’ll ever know what it could have been.
So 2e was just more rules heavy? That's kind of what I thought.

I had thought I had heard about 3e. Glad to know I wasn't imagining it. I seem to recall the idea that it was going to be more like Fantasy Craft? There was about 2 minutes there years ago when I was interested in Fantasy Craft.

The Spy Game is already out and it’s by Black Cats Gaming. I can’t recommend it because 5e doesn’t do it for me for modern gaming.

Spycraft 1e and 2e are totally different beasts. Spycraft 2e is the most dense RPG I’ve ever tried to read. I can’t recommend it because there is just too much there.

I often have a blind spot when it comes to PDFs. I'm a luddite. For me there needs to be a physical book.

So 2e was just more rules heavy? That's kind of what I thought.

I had thought I had heard about 3e. Glad to know I wasn't imagining it. I seem to recall the idea that it was going to be more like Fantasy Craft? There was about 2 minutes there years ago when I was interested in Fantasy Craft.
It’s so rules heavy it gets silly at times. It’s supposed to be modular (there are “campaign qualities” that change how some things work), but so much of it intertwined that the modularity becomes a headache. There’s just so much stuff and it’s so over-explained.

Plus there’s stuff like one of the character classes getting an ability at first or second level that takes multiple paragraphs to explain and also includes a feat, which also has a multi-paragraph explanation.

And that’s just to allow a character to impersonate an NPC. Every couple of years I used to go back and look at it again, but I always ended up turning to a simpler game that accomplished the same stuff in half the verbiage and rules. Like GURPS or Hero system (kidding, only because I don’t play GURPS or Hero either).

Ultimately, I usually end up going back to James Bond 007 / Classified, Mythras with a couple of options from the Companion, or Feng Shui 2 (I even translated the Spycraft 1E character classes into FS2 archetypes on my blog).

Oops!

Guess I really should get down to watching Archer at some point. Sort of a weird oversight for a Bond fan like me. Kinda like how I was once a film student who hadn't seen the Godfather.
Imagine Bond with all the charisma but none of the brains or sauve. Oh and mommy issues. And mom runs the spy agency.

It’s so rules heavy it gets silly at times. It’s supposed to be modular (there are “campaign qualities” that change how some things work), but so much of it intertwined that the modularity becomes a headache. There’s just so much stuff and it’s so over-explained.

Plus there’s stuff like one of the character classes getting an ability at first or second level that takes multiple paragraphs to explain and also includes a feat, which also has a multi-paragraph explanation.

And that’s just to allow a character to impersonate an NPC. Every couple of years I used to go back and look at it again, but I always ended up turning to a simpler game that accomplished the same stuff in half the verbiage and rules. Like GURPS or Hero system (kidding, only because I don’t play GURPS or Hero either).
That's awesome. You gotta at least give props for going overboard, diving down to a sunken ship, and then going overboard on that one as well. I just find something beautiful about a game that just gets excessively overblown, even if I don't like games like that at all.

I'm going to offer a different opinion here; naturally YMMV, but just to offer some perspective.
IMO, Spycraft 2e was very good and did a lot of positive things.

Creating a system to represent NPCs in a simpler format than PCs was great (though still in it's early stages; Fantasy Craft improved this technique).

Campaign qualities were great and not all that complicated, giving the GM some flavorful tools to change the tone of the game.

Dramatic conflicts were cool, giving you a tool to detail non-combat conflicts other than chases.

The system for representing agencies became a new channel for espionage RPGs to operate on.

To my mind, the one major way Spycraft 2e was a step back: Gear. The gear system was too decision intensive, much more so than Spycraft 1e. And by default, you were expected to do it before every mission. Some part of it were brilliant and alluded to that they should have been leveraging stronger (like common items and gear checks, which let players access resources on the fly with little fuss, but unfortunately the rules made those too hard to access by default.)

I'm going to offer a different opinion here; naturally YMMV, but just to offer some perspective.
IMO, Spycraft 2e was very good and did a lot of positive things.

Creating a system to represent NPCs in a simpler format than PCs was great (though still in it's early stages; Fantasy Craft improved this technique).

Campaign qualities were great and not all that complicated, giving the GM some flavorful tools to change the tone of the game.

Dramatic conflicts were cool, giving you a tool to detail non-combat conflicts other than chases.

The system for representing agencies became a new channel for espionage RPGs to operate on.

To my mind, the one major way Spycraft 2e was a step back: Gear. The gear system was too decision intensive, much more so than Spycraft 1e. And by default, you were expected to do it before every mission. Some part of it were brilliant and alluded to that they should have been leveraging stronger (like common items and gear checks, which let players access resources on the fly with little fuss, but unfortunately the rules made those too hard to access by default.)
You’re right. I know I sound like I’m dumping on Spycraft 2E but it’s more that I was so frustrated and disappointed because I thought 1E was a great game that really just needed a bit of streamlining, and 2E was such a mechanics-fest, instead.

But I’ll be the first to admit that I prefer simpler games generally (like early editions of D&D over more recent editions), or I like the complexity to be implemented in different ways (e.g. Mythras).

Edit: I agree that gear picks was a monster of a system and I saw a ton of complaints about it on the Crafty Games forum. That was an example of one particular designer thinking "You know what would make picking gear in an action game more fun? A shitload of additional rules!". (Not a real quote, of course.)

Last edited:
Oops!

I haven't watched it either, and I'm a big Bond fan. Just didn't seem like my kind of show.

I often have a blind spot when it comes to PDFs. I'm a luddite. For me there needs to be a physical book.
Yeah, I'm the opposite. I buy dead tree versions, but mostly to fill up my shelves. It turns me off when there's no PDF.

I haven't watched it either, and I'm a big Bond fan. Just didn't seem like my kind of show.
I don't necessarily see loving Bond as the same as loving Archer. If you like Adult Snarky cartoons then Archer is a fun take on a Bond like character but the former part of the sentence is the most important part not the Bond part.

I like Rick and Morty but I am not a huge fan of Back to the Future like duos.

Does anyone have any experience with Cold Shadows? I'm not sure the rules are what I'm looking for, but it does seem intriguing to me.

Does anyone have any experience with Cold Shadows? I'm not sure the rules are what I'm looking for, but it does seem intriguing to me.

I checked it out and it felt a bit too crunchy for me, which didn't meet my expectations for a Le Carre style spy game. May not have given it a fair shot though, sometimes when reading crunchy systems I start to tune out but it may play fine at the table.

I'm a massive fan of Cold Shadows (and Blood and Honor and Houses of the Blooded) though I think it benefits from players who take an active role in grokking the rules and are confident with the concept of narrative truth and directing the story.

I tried using a rules variant for a different game and they really struggled with how far they could go with narrative truth (despite me saying 'its your story, go as far as you want').

Not necessarily. I've been thinking about how to reduce body counts in my tabletop games lately. Seems to me that modern corporate shadow wars are a situation where you really don't want the kind of heat that routine murder brings down on you. An increased emphasis on martial arts and scientifically improbable knock-outs would be just the ticket.

cZzBl4T.jpg

I'd suggest reading up on real espionage cases or Le Carre and Graham Greene, violence is rare and usually a last resort or very carefully planned and executed against a lone target.

I'd suggest reading up on real espionage cases or Le Carre and Graham Greene, violence is rare and usually a last resort or very carefully planned and executed against a lone target.

Yes, I'm familiar with real espionage, but I'm talking about how to frame 'adventure story espionage' specifically so that players go along with it being less lethal AND you can play it for dozens of sessions.

Your typical player doesn't sign up to play a short, balding, middle-aged dead-drop checker who gets into 0 to 2 dangerous scrapes in the course of an entire career. I don't feel like running that either.

I did back The Spy Game, which uses D20 5E...
I thought perhaps I could run some Bourne Identity, UNCLE, or Mission Impossible style sessions with my adolescent sons.
I play D&D 5E with them, so having a familar core system is a big plus as far as I'm concerned.
The Spy Game book only arrived on my doorstep last week, so I haven't really taken an in-depth look yet.
It gives the impression it is pretty much what I wanted - D20 5E core mechanics with a contemporary cinematic espionage/action setting.

I prefer the hard cover book, but here's a preliminary look at the pdf of The Spy Game, in case anyone is interested.

For my main group I would probably run a cheesy pulpy-action spy game with Fate Core, or I could run a more gritty and serious one with BRP .
Regarding BRP, I think Delta Green could be the perfect fit, minus the Cthulhu Mythos threat.

Otherwise I might try Classified, which is the James Bond rpg retroclone, minus the 007-verse.

Last edited:
I like the Le Carre flavour of the game, and I don't mind having some heavy narrative aspects in my game, although I'm unsure if Cold Shadows is perhaps a bit too narrative for my group. I'm intrigued with this game however, and I suspect alot of it could be applied to another set of core mechanics if need be.

Not many reviews are out there for it yet, but this review of Cold Shadows provides a reasonable overview :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I'm a massive fan of Cold Shadows (and Blood and Honor and Houses of the Blooded) though I think it benefits from players who take an active role in grokking the rules and are confident with the concept of narrative truth and directing the story.

I tried using a rules variant for a different game and they really struggled with how far they could go with narrative truth (despite me saying 'its your story, go as far as you want').
I love Wick's stuff, and Houses of the Blooded is especially brilliant, IMO. I do think it would have a steep learning curve for players who are used to a different and less demanding playstyle. Worth the effort though.

I like the Le Carre flavour of the game, and I don't mind having some heavy narrative aspects in my game, although I'm unsure if Cold Shadows is perhaps a bit too narrative for my group.
That's what I'm afraid of.
I'm intrigued with this game however, and I suspect alot of it could be applied to another set of core mechanics if need be.
See I'm good with that as well. I love kit bashing things together. Much how I like the setting of Cold City. But the system leaves me, well cold. So I replaced it with something completely different, and had a lot of fun with it.

Yes, I'm familiar with real espionage, but I'm talking about how to frame 'adventure story espionage' specifically so that players go along with it being less lethal AND you can play it for dozens of sessions.

Your typical player doesn't sign up to play a short, balding, middle-aged dead-drop checker who gets into 0 to 2 dangerous scrapes in the course of an entire career. I don't feel like running that either.
See I kind of do want that to a degree. But really I want a kinda happy middle. So like "The Sandbaggers". So some "action" but mostly, the tension is from trying to get your way in inter depart, inter service, and government institutions. I kind of also like the idea of troupe play. So playing the head of D-ops, and a sand bagger. One character for the "action", one for the deals in a smokey room.

Haha no I get that although I think you're misrepresenting how a Le Carre based game could actually play.

His books are actually very suspenseful, I think there is definitely a way to create a Le Carre style game, but it would have to be more along the lines of a game like The Sword, The Crown and the Unspeakable Power where the emphasis is one plotting, counterplotting and role-playing.

SCUP would be a solid PbtA base for an Espionage game, for sure. It's got the right moving parts for sure.

Haha no I get that although I think you're misrepresenting how a Le Carre based game could actually play.

His books are actually very suspenseful, I think there is definitely a way to create a Le Carre style game, but it would have to be more along the lines of a game like The Sword, The Crown and the Unspeakable Power where the emphasis is one plotting, counterplotting and role-playing.

This is fair, and of course I was exaggerating for humor.

I find that kind of campaign much easier to sell to players when I'm also giving them vampire super-powers.

If I'm going to hold them to near-normal human power levels, the least I can offer is a steady diet of fistfights, car stunts and explosions.

This is fair, and of course I was exaggerating for humor.

I find that kind of campaign much easier to sell to players when I'm also giving them vampire super-powers.

If I'm going to hold them to near-normal human power levels, the least I can offer is a steady diet of fistfights, car stunts and explosions.

The aforementioned Sandbaggers would be a good example of a median between Le Carre and Bond, more gritty and realistic psychologically, etc.

That was one of my issues with The Americans, which has a great premise for a rpg campaign but the protagonists are far too quick to kill others considering how deep in cover they are supposed to be. Bodies attact attention!

The aforementioned Sandbaggers would be a good example of a median between Le Carre and Bond, more gritty and realistic psychologically, etc.

That was one of my issues with The Americans, which has a great premise for a rpg campaign but the protagonists are far too quick to kill others considering how deep in cover they are supposed to be. Bodies attact attention!
Not in America. :wink:

Yes, I'm familiar with real espionage
...I'm suddenly filled with appreciation for your favourite system! Uh, remind me which system that was, again:tongue:?

So make them undercover agents among dangerous people, where no scrapes would be unusual and giving yourself away:thumbsup:!
They can be undercover agents amongst 1%er bikers, or suspected terrorists, or human traffickers, or drug dealers, or among an illegal resistance movement, or basically in any organized criminal group:grin:! Then set them in Europe or certain Asian countries, and bingo, you have both a reliance on fistfights, and plenty reasons to get in those.

the upcoming Journeys in the Foreververse (the superhero version of the Network system)
I think this is the only place I've seen it referenced, and I can't help but feel excited. I hope it's not canned just on the back burner.

I think this is the only place I've seen it referenced, and I can't help but feel excited. I hope it's not canned just on the back burner.

We got pretty far in developing it, but it has been paused (the writer has other projects that are more pressing). At some point though I would be open to getting back to it. I have very little background in superhero material, so this was something where I had a writer in my game who knew and loved the genre. It will come down to if the writer is interested (I can say he did some really interesting things with the system, it was a quite a good superhero game IMO).

Checking out Cold Shadows at present
It's captured a very restrained espionage tone, which could be quite interesting to run.

From a brief look, the system mechanics look functional, and hopefully do the trick at the gaming table.

Whilst enthusiastic regarding new genres and settings, my players just are not over-the-moon about learning new core rules at present, and I'm also not sure if I want to GM a completely new set of mechanics either.

We are pretty familar with different variants of BRP, D20, 2D20, Fate, Storyteller, and ICE. I think any new setting I run will have to be a version of one of these systems, just so my players can focus on the setting itself rather than trying to grok new mechanics.

Of those I think I can do a pretty quick on-the-fly conversion of Cold Shadows into Fate Core or Fate Acclerated.
From a brief look, I can see that Virtues would give good ideas for Fate Stunts; and Aspects port across almost near-perfectly to Fate Aspects, including suggestions for invokes and compels.

The rest of the book is good for tone and suggestions on running espionage sessions steeped in intrigue.

I can see us having some good sessions with Cold Shadows, although I can't say if the tone will hold up as we have a tendency to eventually descend into pulp action antics, heh heh :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I keep meaning to read through my copy of Trigger Happy, as well as pick up a copy of Sword's Edge (as I own quite a few of the publishers other games). Both are more in the action vein, so they might not be good for espionage type games

I just watched the first episode of The Night Manager, and now am in more of a mood for slow burn espionage gaming, but I'm not sure how suitable Cold Shadows is for my group. Some of them don't take well to that degree of narrative authority.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back