Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Doc Sammy

White Trash Weeb
Reaction score
So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever written fanfics or other stories about your favorite RPG's? I don't get to play as much as I used to, but I do get ideas for stories set in various RPG settings, or ideas of potential campaigns that I sometimes convert into stories. I don't usually post them, but I'm starting to get out of my shell and post more fanfics.

Does anyone else do this? If not, do you ever read RPG fiction, whether it be officially licensed books (such as R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels) or fanfiction?

Here's a fanfic I'm currently writing. A crossover of the anime Axis Powers Hetalia and Vampire: The Masquerade. It's an AU fic where the Hetalia characters are playing a campaign of Vampire using the First Edition rules and the original Chicago by Night setting. So far, I only have two chapters, but I'll be posting the third chapter tomorrow morning.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11719904/1/Game-Night

Feel free to discuss or share any RPG fiction or fanfiction, whether it be stuff you write yourself or other people's works you happen to like.

I liked a lot of the early Warhammer and 40K books, and the ones they put out for Dark Future. I haven't read any of the newer stuff though.
I tried reading a short story collection based on Wraith, but it was really awful. I didn't finish it.
Usually I read such things because either I really like a setting ( like Warhammer's Old World) or I'm trying to understand the setting better (I didn't quite 'get' Wraith at first).

I've written stories and even a short play for my main homebrew fantasy setting... mostly as a way of exploring it at times when I wasn't running games set in it. But I've never inflicted that stuff on others.

I read lots of published novels, aka "fanfic with editors", especially for Warhammer.

I enjoy the good stuff, and I don't have any sense that RPG novels are any worse than general fiction on the market. TSR/WotC put out a lot of crap novels so I have wee faith in D&D novels.

I don't write any myself, and am very critical of most fanfic to the point where I don't enjoy it. And printed game novels are usually poor, where I regret reading them. However I did find the In Nomine fanfiction surprisingly a cut above.

Maybe it's the ease of personalizing embodiments of ideals into digestible personalities with alien habits, but the end result came out more subtle and, well, literary?, than most fan shlock.

I don't write any myself, and am very critical of most fanfic to the point where I don't enjoy it. And printed game novels are usually poor, where I regret reading them. However I did find the In Nomine fanfiction surprisingly a cut above.

Maybe it's the ease of personalizing embodiments of ideals into digestible personalities with alien habits, but the end result came out more subtle and, well, literary?, than most fan shlock.

Well, to each their own, I suppose. I'm not familiar with In Nomine so I can't say whether or not the fanfiction for it is any good or not.

On another note, has anyone checked out my VTM fanfic "Game Night"? I'm typing up the third chapter for it right now as we speak.

Does anyone else do this? If not, do you ever read RPG fiction, whether it be officially licensed books (such as R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels) or fanfiction?

Fuck no. Life's too short for fucking Drizzt. There's much better fantasy, SF and horror out there.

Here's a fanfic I'm currently writing. A crossover of the anime Axis Powers Hetalia and Vampire: The Masquerade. It's an AU fic where the Hetalia characters are playing a campaign of Vampire using the First Edition rules and the original Chicago by Night setting.

giphy.gif

I don't read or write fanfiction.

Back in the 80s, I read one of the Dragonlance books, and The Crystal Shard. Within the past 10 years, I've read a few of the Delta Green novels / short story collections. But I don't really go out of my way to read licensed Rpg fiction.

I don't read or write fanfiction.

Back in the 80s, I read one of the Dragonlance books, and The Crystal Shard. Within the past 10 years, I've read a few of the Delta Green novels / short story collections. But I don't really go out of my way to read licensed Rpg fiction.

I understand. I know fanfiction gets a lot of hate, but I like it anyway. It's just harmless fun.

I understand. I know fanfiction gets a lot of hate, but I like it anyway. It's just harmless fun.
I was at a lecture by an Professor talking about using fan fiction in her creative writing classes. Her presentation was about how it made a very good starting point for young writers because having characters and setting already established the writer was free to concentrate on other elements AND it would, presumably, be material they had some degree of interest/passion about.

I started writing a fanfic once...

Chapter One: Genesis of the Plot!

Lestat gently stroked his neon hot pink Gibson guitar signed by George Michael and thought about his past as a rock performer. Sadly, the 80s were over.

"I'm incredibly bored," he said gothically.

"Isn't that a shame! We'll have to do something about that!" Said a mysterious voice mysteriously from the shadows.

"Whaaa..?" Lestat exclaimed vampirically.

Stepping from the shadows came a familiar figure in a ruffled pink shirt of the kind people used to wear back in the gothic Victorian times.

"Louie?" Letstat exclaimed in shock* "But I thought you were dead! Or more dead. Deader than undead!"

* - so shocked he forgot to exclaim either gothically or vampirically.

"Turns out, I'm okay!" Louie said mysteriously, arching his eyebrow and winking sphinxlike.

"Oh, can this be true?" Pondered Lestat, happily but still gothically. "But Louie? Why are you so short? And why are you suddenly wearing mouse fur?"

"Well, you see" Louie explained cryptically," I'm not just you're Louie. Turns out I'm an amalgamation** of every Louie that has ever existed in any copyrighted writer's universe ever!"

**- See Marvel vs DC

"Whaaaaaa?" Lestat ponderously exclaimed outloud with vampiric undertones.

"There's no time to explain further I'm afraid my old friend Lestat the Vampire! We need to get to Egypt! Jesus needs us!"

WoooshWooshWooosh!

A blue police phonebox suddenly appeared in the room Britishly!

From out of the blue box stepped Doctor Who and Rose Tyler. "I'm the Doctor and this is Rose Tyler!" Doctor Who said with a British accent. "We are gathering all the great heroes throughout time in this time period to help us save the past from an evil plot."

"All the heroes?" Said Lestat. "But I'm not a hero, I'm a vampire!"

"You can be my friend," Amalgam-Louie said, placing his hand on Lestat's shoulder. "You can be, if you only look inside yourself."

"Okay" Lestat said with occult resolution." I hardly can believe it but if you say so I will trust you my old friend, for now."

"Good job!" Said Doctor Who with his accent. He shook hands with Lestat, "I'm the 10th Doctor by the way. You have a lovely guitar."

"Thankyou, " Lestat said arcanely."It was a gift from George Michael, for my birthday. Not my real birthday…my vampire birthday! But George Michael didn't know that!"

"I see" Doctor Who said, understanding Lestat's joke and chuckling softly.

"There's no time to waste!" Rose Tyler said. "Get in the TARDIS everyone! Next stop Chuck Norris's riverboat!"

Meanwhile, in the river boat that Chuck Norris shared with his friend, Duncan Macleod, Chuck Norris was practicing with his nunchucks.

"You're getting good with those!" Said Duncan MaCleod.

Chuck Norris flashed back to how he and Duncan had first met. It had been in London, where he was on tour, winning martial arts tournements. After a particularly fine battle with a large sumo wrestler, Chuck Norris was exhausted and went out for a walk when he came across two men fighting with swords, one of them in a long trenchcoat weilding the most beautiful katana Chuck Norris had ever seen, and the other one dressed as a viking warrior!

"There can be only one!" the Viking shouted and lunged at Duncan Macleod with his battleaxe marked with magical Norse runes that gave it supernatural powers. Chuck Norris could tell by the runes that the viking was evil so he quickly jumped in and yelled "Ki-Ya!" Together, he and Duncan Macleod made short work of the viking, chuck Norris giving him a roundhouse kick to the face and then Duncan Macleod cutting off his head with a mightly slash of his beautiful katana.

"Quickly, move back!" He said to Chuck Norris, with a Scottish accent. Chuck didn't understand, but he somehow immediately trusted this man as his Karate senses told him hin his heart that he was good. Stepping back, he stared in amazement as lighting came down from the sky and bolts jumped out of the viking's neck wound and went into Duncan as he spasmed in ecstacy.

"That was the Quickening" Duncan said, when it was over. "His powers have now gone into me. We're Immortals, and whenever we meet we have to fight because there can be only one!"

Chuck Norris drew up his fists and prepared to fight, but Duncan reassured him Scottishly: "No my ally, there can only be one Immortal in the end, but there can be lots of humans!"

"Well, that's good" Chuck Norris said, smiling. "I would hate to have to fight you because I can tell that you're a good warrior like me."

"Yes". Replied Duncan. "by the way, I am the Highlander, but you can call me Duncan."

"I'm Chuck Norris."

"I know, I have seen you're movies. I am a big fan"

And from then on they were fast friends, and Duncan invited Chuck Norris to come live with him on his riverboat.

Duncan sat polishing his magnificent katana. He reflected fondly how it had been a gift from George Michael. The two of them had become friends at a midnight showing of Road House starring Patrick Swayze.

Suddenly a strange beeping filled the air.

"Gadzooks!" said Chuck Norris, "That's my Karate Communicator *! But it only is supposed to ring when there's massive troubles!"

"Hello?" Chuck Norris asked, quizically.

"Chuck Norris? This is Leonardo! Leader of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!"

"The Ninja Turtles?" Thought Chuck Norris, "Holy crap! I Thought you guys were just an urban legend!"

"No," explained Leonardo, "We're very real. I'm calling to tell you that you are in great danger! There are a group of creatures who....GAKKKKK!"

The line went dead with static.

"Leo? Leonardo?!" Chuck Norris screamed. but it was too late. The line was dead.

"What was that about?" Duncan asked Scottishly, but before Chuck Norris could answer the windows on their riverboat home suddenly imploded!

"Oh man," said Chuck Norris, "We've got problems!"

"Do you think it's ninjas again?" Asked the Highlander, readying his beauteous katana.

"I think we're about to find out" Chuck Norris replied, gracefully twirling his nunchucks and the readying them like he was ready for action.

* - The Karate Communicators had been given out to all the greatest martial artists in the world by Bruce Lee before the Chinese government faked his death so that he could go underground and infiltrate the Triads.

Huh, that was better than 75% of the fanfic I've come across and/or was forced to read from an acquaintance.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter and/or bulletin board!

I wish to subscribe very gothically, and also vampirically!
*arches eyebrow in occultic determination*

LOL moments:
  • "Meanwhile, in the river boat that Chuck Norris shared with his friend, Duncan Macleod"
  • "He reflected fondly how it had been a gift from George Michael. The two of them had become friends at a midnight showing of Road House starring Patrick Swayze."
  • "The Karate Communicators had been given out to all the greatest martial artists in the world by Bruce Lee before the Chinese government faked his death so that he could go underground and infiltrate the Triads."
You know Lestat's going to be totally banging Rose.

I'm setting aside money towards pledging on Tristram's fanfic Patreon. How much do I need to pledge a month to add new characters to the story?

Fanfic is a GREAT way for new writers to start....or make gazillions of dollars (50 Shades of WTF).

BTW, if anyone is interested in getting PAID to write fanfic, check out Kindle Worlds
https://kindleworlds.amazon.com/

You can write GI Joe books!

I'm trying to figure out how this rule got in their G.I.Joe guidelines:

The character, Snake Eyes, shall never be depicted or described as a fan of the New York Yankees.

:confused:

Then under the canon section, they have links to the cartoon. Oh boy.

I honestly dont know if I could continue writing like that. I found it really hard for some reason. Funny, but mentally exhausting.

I've written some short stories set in The Elder Scrolls universe. I've also written some short stories set in campaign settings I've written though I'm not sure that counts.

My other fanfic crimes are a Conan and Reepicheep crossover set in Hyboria and a Lord of The Rings and Chronicles of Prydain crossover that jumps back and forth a bit.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back