Fablecraft - "The Future" of Tabletop RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lunar Ronin

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
Of all places, there's an article on PC Gamer today about an upcoming tabletop RPG currently on Kickstarter, named Fablecraft.

Playing tabletop RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons online rather than in-person is more common than ever—particularly since the pandemic lockdowns—with websites like D&D Beyond, Roll20, and Owlbear Rodeo coming into their own. These "virtual tabletops" or VTTs offer ways to do virtual dice rolls, move icons around a battle map, and view character sheets in a shared online space.

Fablecraft's goal is to take that into a new realm, combining a VTT with elements of a videogame RPG for an even more accessible, polished, and visually exciting experience, using its own custom world and rules. And… it's kind of enchanting.

[...] My biggest takeaway after my Fablecraft session is: this is really setting the bar for where Wizards of the Coast needs to reach with its upcoming official VTT for Dungeons & Dragons. With its streamlined approach and unique setting, I don't think Fablecraft will necessarily be what everyone's looking for. But it feels like a real vision of the future for tabletop RPGs—slick, polished platforms for online adventure bringing together the best of physical and digital play.

It seems to be what WotC is hoping for, anyhoo.

Seems to be a lot of it about. Alchemy VTT is also on Kickstarter right now.

I saw this article, and didn't really get it. Maybe it's just a poorly written article by someone who doesn't run RPGs, but the whole selling point seems to be that it has a bunch of art for their own RPG setting that nobody knows about that you can use as a non-interactive backdrop? And it's for a system that nobody knows that's "new" innovation is the number of dice you roll increases as you get more skilled?

The description on Kickstarter does seem to be heavy on purple prose and light on actual useful description. I tend to be wary of “innovative” RPGs because I’ve seen so many companies making the claim. Then you read their product and realise that it’s only innovative if you’ve never read or played an RPG that isn’t D&D.

I saw this article, and didn't really get it. Maybe it's just a poorly written article by someone who doesn't run RPGs, but the whole selling point seems to be that it has a bunch of art for their own RPG setting that nobody knows about that you can use as a non-interactive backdrop? And it's for a system that nobody knows that's "new" innovation is the number of dice you roll increases as you get more skilled?

The description on Kickstarter does seem to be heavy on purple prose and light on actual useful description. I tend to be wary of “innovative” RPGs because I’ve seen so many companies making the claim. Then you read their product and realise that it’s only innovative if you’ve never read or played an RPG that isn’t D&D.
209-thats-it-emoji-compressed.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back