Far West 12th Anniversary

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
There was a time when Iron Man was considered a C-list superhero no one would want to see a movie about...

So you are suggesting Robert Downey Jr. for the part? He did fine with Tony Stark, but I am still not sure he can manage the level of ego required to pull it off.

[...] All he does is tweet about american politics (another massive shit show, to be sure)

:eat: I wonder if someone can compile his tweets and word count them. Then throw out an average wordcount per RPG chapter value. And finally compare when his compiled tweets equal an average RPG chapter value!

:thumbsup: You're welcome!

He is a dishonest hack and if he ever comes to GaryCon, GameHole Con, or Nexus, I'm going to tell that to his face.

I'm so tired of the 'indy' gaming clique. I'm sticking with Palladium, Chaosium, and Cubicle 7.

At least when Palladium took my money I got half the product and had the ability to yell at the owner, to his face, and get an apology.

He is a dishonest hack and if he ever comes to GaryCon, GameHole Con, or Nexus, I'm going to tell that to his face.

I'm so tired of the 'indy' gaming clique. I'm sticking with Palladium, Chaosium, and Cubicle 7.

At least when Palladium took my money I got half the product and had the ability to yell at the owner, to his face, and get an apology.
Hey now, there are still good ones.

We'll always have Sine Nomine.

Hey now, there are still good ones.

We'll always have Sine Nomine.
Good? No he's one of the greatest ones. Not only does he write excellent games but then he delivers ahead of schedule and on while doing so he educates the backsr on how to successfully imitate him. Really I'd buy that guy lunch anytime hesh in Seattle.

Right up until the point where the movie was a hit. Iron Man was in that category of being popular among comic fans and a complete non-entity to the average movie goer.

I'm of the opinion that Marvel really lucked out in not having the movie rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men or the Fantastic Four. If they had them, I don't know if they ever would have dared to dig deeper into their catalog. They'd probably have just engaged in a sequel/reboot cycle with their mainstream names. The fact that they made Iron Man into a big success really emboldened them.

Right up until the point where the movie was a hit. Iron Man was in that category of being popular among comic fans and a complete non-entity to the average movie goer.

I'm of the opinion that Marvel really lucked out in not having the movie rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men or the Fantastic Four. If they had them, I don't know if they ever would have dared to dig deeper into their catalog. They'd probably have just engaged in a sequel/reboot cycle with their mainstream names. The fact that they made Iron Man into a big success really emboldened them.

I agree. Marvel with all of their properties has the movies look like they do today instead of 10 years ago. I think that's why I'm getting burned out on the movies and shows.

Iron Man still might be my favorite Marvel movie after all these years.

Good? No he's one of the greatest ones. Not only does he write excellent games but then he delivers ahead of schedule and on while doing so he educates the backsr on how to successfully imitate him. Really I'd buy that guy lunch anytime hesh in Seattle.
My usual joke is that we all owe the man a handy :tongue:
Kids today don't know their Latin. :brokenheart:

Oh, right. Look, I’m not thinking about what the name means at all times :tongue:

Iron Man still might be my favorite Marvel movie after all these years.
I think the first forty-five minutes of it is easily the best telling of his origin story; they nail who his old personality is in just a few minutes, show how and why he realises he needs to change, and filming so much of the escape sequence from the terrorist PoV really ratchets up the tension and sells how brutal that first IM suit is.

The rest of the movie is very good, of course, but I think that's the high point.

So I saw a memory (ie an old post) I made on Facebook regarding GMS. Back in 2002, he was critical of another game company because they released a product by someone who had claimed to be an associate of Tim Powers. It came to light Powers had met that person, but he wasn't an actual associate. He called the people behind that game company "unprofessional". How ironic given his lack of professionalism for years since then.

His last contribution was almost a month ago! Even then that was barely fucketh of all.

How does he get away with this? How does kickstarter allow this? Surely after seven fucking years they must realise this is on a hiding to nowhere!

I'm aghast at this!

His last contribution was almost a month ago! Even then that was barely fucketh of all.

How does he get away with this? How does kickstarter allow this? Surely after seven fucking years they must realise this is on a hiding to nowhere!

I'm aghast at this!
Kickstarter have their cut, so they don't give a shit any more.

Even if they were inclined to act, what could they do at this point? Finish Far West for him?
Pretty much just suspend his account permanently, or until he made restitution of some kind.

They could sue him, but I doubt they'd bother. It's fifty grand.

Kickstarter have their cut, so they don't give a shit any more.
I haven't read their contract but it's a safe bet they've had their lawyers structure things such that they take their cut and provide their services for the project but any liabilities fall on Skarka if he fails to fulfill his end of the bargain. Anything else would be moronic to agree to. I very much doubt they care--if they're even aware of the various unfulfilled projects.

Pretty much just suspend his account permanently, or until he made restitution of some kind.

Sue him for what? They already got paid. You have to have actual damages to sue someone.

Sue him for what? They already got paid. You have to have actual damages to sue someone.
Enough people reneging on their Kickstarters could damage Kickstarter itself. Also I imagine they'd be able to manage something along the lines of breach of contract.

And the money is most likely already gone, if we're charitable and assume he spent the money working on the project. It would be a waste of everybody's time and money.

Enough people reneging on their Kickstarters could damage Kickstarter itself. Also I imagine they'd be able to manage something along the lines of breach of contract.
I think they'd have a very hard time getting a judge to let that go anywhere given they created the business model and contracts, so any hypothetical damages to their name or reputation would likely be deemed a result of their own decision to set it up the way they did. The breach, if any, would likely be between the backers and the project managers, not between Kickstarter and anyone. Anyone can file a lawsuit for anything if they want to pay the fees, but that doesn't mean a judge won't throw it right out as having no basis.

And the money is most likely already gone, if we're charitable and assume he spent the money working on the project. It would be a waste of everybody's time and money.
There are not a lot of corporations who are going to spend their money to sue someone who owes them nothing on behalf of someone else, just out of the goodness of their hearts. And as I mentioned, even if they tried to it would likely be thrown right out as Kickstarter would have no standing since you can't sue for damages someone else incurred. The backers could try suing Skarka, but as you say the money is probably long gone and even if they got a judgment, good luck getting the judgment satisfied.

I think they'd have a very hard time getting a judge to let that go anywhere given they created the business model and contracts, so any hypothetical damages to their name or reputation would likely be deemed a result of their own decision to set it up the way they did. The breach, if any, would likely be between the backers and the project managers, not between Kickstarter and anyone. Anyone can file a lawsuit for anything if they want to pay the fees, but that doesn't mean a judge won't throw it right out as having no basis.
Maybe. I'm not a lawyer. that said, neither is Skarka, and the threat is often good enough, even if you don't have a case.

That's how C&D works after all.

If anything kills Kickstarter's reputation, it's not going to be some piddly little thing like this, it'll be something big like Coolest Cooler or Juicero or Pebble that the mass market buys into, only to be disappointed.

Only joking, the mass market never bought into Pebble, but the Pebble 2 was still wonderful.

He has a legal obligation to his backers based on the contract her entered with Kickstarter, but not a time limit. I wouldnt stress about it though, I suggest we all just meet here again in another year for the 8th anniversary celebration. Maybe the system will have switched to FATE by then.

Maybe. I'm not a lawyer. that said, neither is Skarka, and the threat is often good enough, even if you don't have a case.

That's how C&D works after all.
Skarka will just add it to the scrapbook of all the other threats to sue him that he has racked up so far.

Someone could place Far West's quinceañera dress for patterning in a few years from now. That way the elaborate beadwork & embroidery can have years to get the job done right. :thumbsup:

Tuthully they can't do much - but just closing it and banning him might send a message.

It's symbolic

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back