Far West 12th Anniversary

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's a start certainly, though I think these need to be handled a little differently than relying on the consumer protection act and the limitations that has, like backers needed to be in the same location.

It only requires one backer for an AG to do something. The fact that 31 were from Washington state likely just spurred the AG there to move faster on it

His response to that AG investigation was hilarious too:

I've been contacted by the Kansas AG's Consumer Protection office, and I've been responding to them. This, naturally, takes time that I would prefer to be using to finish this and deliver, but it is what it is.
Regardless -- delivery will be occurring soon.
—GMS, Kickstarter comment, Tuesday 24 January 2017

Far West would have been done, if not for a phonecall, so obviously it's the backer's fault for complaining that they aren't getting it sooner.

I'd be calling my AG again about this updates on website. IIRC, they are required to update on the KS, and I'd force the issue. Why should backers have to go to some website for updates? I had that happen with one campaign (can't remember if it was KS or Indiegogo), and I made it clear that posting updates outside of the campaign page only was unacceptable. They tried to convince me otherwise, but I refused to back down. Needless to say, they still post updates on the campaign, because all they need to do is cut and paste

well he did take pre-orders for BB, but yeah. I don't think GMS set out intending to scam anyone, he's not a Ken Whitman type, I just think he got in over his head, dealt with it badly, and has been alternately lazy and dishonest about it since.

GMS and pre-orders are another case. He didn't just do Buckaroo Banzai pre-orders; there was the one for ICONS Team-Up, which I've mentioned a few times. There was also Tales of New Crobuzon. Far West is just the main one he messed up. Team-Up at least came out in pdf, but his failed promise on coupons for the Adamant webstore (some got theirs; I never did, and no contact from GMS after I pointed this out publicly on threads where he promised said coupon), so his track record isn't the best on those either. Again, nowhere near as bad as Ken Whitman, but he's built up his own reputation for being shady on such things

...is anyone else having more fun crapping on GMS than they would have had playing his game? I'm not the only one, right?

Given there is already High Plains Samurai that does something similar, or the fact you could likely do Far West with Feng Shui, I definitely find crapping on GMS more fun :tongue:

Looks like he's getting professional help, for his health, not the project

I doubt he can afford professional help with Far West. That's even if someone was willing to work on it. I suspect people would avoid it (and him) as if he had the black plague at this point. He already burned some artists during this, didn't he?

I doubt he can afford professional help with Far West. That's even if someone was willing to work on it. I suspect people would avoid it (and him) as if he had the black plague at this point. He already burned some artists during this, didn't he?

You'd think, but he's still got people in the RPG industry willing to hire him, in one case to even lie to customers about it on his behalf

You'd think, but he's still got people in the RPG industry willing to hire him, in one case to even lie to customers about it on his behalf

That's different though. He's working for them, and have to follow their guidelines/deadlines. Plus that was for established game system

With Far West, you're taking instructions from a train wreck, and don't have a set system yet. You'd have to be really desperate to even consider stepping into that quagmire

Good. I hope it helps him. He may be a shady businessman, but that doesn't mean I wish him ill.
Of course, but I'm suspicious. If he thinks therapy can come from doing exactly what he has been doing for the last decade - working on this clearly dead project - instead of moving on then he is on a hiding to nowhere.

I don't wish him ill either but I do not believe continiung with this is going to achieve that, quite the opposite. It is clearly going to frustrte those efforts. He even goes on to offer another "it's nearly done" as well!

Why should backers have to go to some website for updates? ...all they need to do is cut and paste.
But on Kickstarter he can't delete comments he doesn't like.
Why should anyone believe this statement is true while another thousand are lies?
Good. I hope it helps him. He may be a shady businessman, but that doesn't mean I wish him ill.
You get what you give.

But at least the comics, TV series, and music for this "transmedia property" are all finished, right? Right?

Just goes to show that despite what some would like to believe about themselves they need a boss to enforce deadlines and accountability. The ability to meet a deadline in general seems to be rapidly disappearing from my experiences in the workplace.

What really blows my mind is you know these guys took the money out of their accounts and blew it on something other than the layout, print expenses and their time working on the project.

Assuming they still had the money (or even if they didn’t) I’d use some of it to find a place in the middle of nowhere, take the time off needed to complete it and lock myself in until I was done. But then if it was me I’d have written the project before even beginning a KS.

But on Kickstarter he can't delete comments he doesn't like.

Why should anyone believe this statement is true while another thousand are lies?

You get what you give.

But at least the comics, TV series, and music for this "transmedia property" are all finished, right? Right?

I've no idea if he's telling the truth but it does me no harm to extend the benfit of doubt

I've no idea if he's telling the truth but it does me no harm to extend the benfit of doubt
That's a commonly heard refrain from future victims of fraudsters and scammers, unfortunately.

If GMS needs help and he's getting it, that's great, but I don't consider it any of my business and not something I personally would have gone public with. I think airing that in the context he did was just as another excuse. His depression didn't stop him writing a ton of other RPG stuff over the last 8 years, did not cause him to be evasive and dishonest with his backers or not give refunds and call the project done, and it didn't cause him to do any of the crap before Far West, such as art theft and generally being an asshat online.

Thus I don't see it as having anything to do with Far West.

I'm kinda getting burned out on Drama though, think I'm going to focus more on posting gaming stuff for a while.

That's different though. He's working for them, and have to follow their guidelines/deadlines. Plus that was for established game system

With Far West, you're taking instructions from a train wreck, and don't have a set system yet. You'd have to be really desperate to even consider stepping into that quagmire

Soultaker Studios confirmed to be taking over Far West project. Way to rise to the challenge urbwar!

:hehe:

You could convert the whole game to Risus!

Hell just go with Fate or PbtA at this point :tongue:

Even if he got his act together, he could run into trademark issues anyway given there was already a Western game called "Far West" from circa 2003:

It's not a tabletop RPG, but if the trademark hasn't been abandoned its owner could still make a strong case.

I also seem to recall there's a Spanish RPG called "Far West" published by M+D Editores in 1993.

Edit: here we go, looks better than anything Skarka could ever produce.
That’s a Luis Royo cover!

Don’t ask me why I recognize his style so easily...

An RPG completely illustrated by Luis Royo is one of my wet dreams... and in more ways than one (ahem).

it's all ready bookless, so.... :tongue:

thatsthejoke.jpg

I need no faith. I saw the light when I didn't get my copy of ICONS Team-Up :clown:

Someone here who isn't me needs to pony up $10 to get exclusive access and report back!

If we each chip in 50 cents, we could get a membership for the Pub. I really want to meet this "Core Development Team", and find out about all this Far West Swag

An RPG completely illustrated by Luis Royo is one of my wet dreams... and in more ways than one (ahem).

Actually, this RPG does exist (I mean a RPG illustrated by Luis Royo). It is named Plenilunio and it is written by Royo's son. It takes place in the Malefic Times universe. To my knowledge, it is available in Spanish an French.

A Swedish rpg from the late 80s and early 90's, Khelataar, used a lot of Royo covers, even if it didn't use his art internally.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back