Far West 12th Anniversary

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Astonishing that he's got the brass neck to be the public face of this D6 Space project on DTRPG. Self awarenesss isn't his friend, I guess

Yeah, that's where I first encountered him. Much like certain other especially abrasive personalities known to forums in the past, it was apparently impossible for GMS to disagree with anyone without personally insulting them, or feeling personally insulted in return that anyone dare contradict him. In fact the similarities between his posting style and a certain fellow who shall not be named are quite striking.
Look asshole if you want to refer to me use my name, you worthless piece of crap!

"No, I'm Spartacus!"

giphy.gif

Hmm.

New book up on Drivethru.

PDF is the same price as the printed book.

And look down in the comments. Who is that I see?

I think I'll just leave it there. I'mma giggle at this a little longer.

Their reasoning against a cheaper PDF price doesn’t make any sense.

I think they must be older folks. I can see the reasoning - "if we give them a cheaper pdf option no one will buy the physical book!", which is something one might expect to encounter as a sentiment in the early aughts. But it's a woeful misunderstanding of the current market

I only buy physical product if it’s older stuff (from eBay). I don’t buy anything new in physical format any longer. I wasn’t really the customer for this but now I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of buying.

I think they must be older folks. I can see the reasoning - "if we give them a cheaper pdf option no one will buy the physical book!", which is something one might expect to encounter as a sentiment in the early aughts. But it's a woeful misunderstanding of the current market
Well, I mean, one of them literally is Gareth Michael Skarka.

Look asshole if you want to refer to me use my name, you worthless piece of crap!

Nobody on this forum has any interest whatsoever in using your name until at least three weeks after we've run out of cotton swabs, toothpicks, and bendy straws.

Nobody on this forum has any interest whatsoever in using your name until at least three weeks after we've run out of cotton swabs, toothpicks, and bendy straws.
... Is this some kind of weird sex thing?

... Is this some kind of weird sex thing?

No, just boredom. When we're all done with makeovers and gossip, we all go into the bathroom with the lights off and say Bunch's name three times in the mirror while spinning in a circle.

I keep telling them it's never going to work without the ritual goose sacrifice...

No, just boredom. When we're all done with makeovers and gossip, we all go into the bathroom with the lights off and say Bunch's name three times in the mirror while spinning in a circle.

I keep telling them it's never going to work without the ritual gaggle of geese sacrifice...
Fixed that.

Yeah not impressed though not the only rpg publisher to do so. Well some of our fans bought the physical copy and paid more so those who want PDF get screwed over. All well and good except I would have to spend say 60$ on a PDF for example just because someone bought print. Well hard pass for me. Almost as bad as rpg [publishers trying to pull a fast one implying that PDF are as expensive as print to produce.

I bought the deadtree. It arrived FAST. Looks good, satisfied with my purchase, hope they make more.

I definitely think they should have expected some pushback for a couple reasons, and seeing Trautmann and GMS acting so thin-skinned makes me think they did.

I keep telling them it's never going to work without the ritual goose sacrifice...
You're not convincing me that this isn't a weird sex thing, Tristram.

Last edited:
I hate to ask, but do we know if that cancer claim is real?

Yes, that's a horrific question. But this whole thing is a shitshow. Making promises to someone suffering cancer after 9 years of broken promises seems....

Yes, that's a horrific question. But this whole thing is a shitshow. Making promises to someone suffering cancer after 9 years of broken promises seems....

As there's no real way to verify, I prefer to think that someone wouldn't do that just to get a promise out of GMS, and have a bit of empathy instead.

As there's no real way to verify, I prefer to think that someone wouldn't do that just to get a promise out of GMS, and have a bit of empathy instead.
It's just so sad, the poor guy must surely know Skarka is never going to make good on this. If it was going to come out, given that, by all acounts, most of it is written, it would have by now. But to then say - again - it's coming by the end fo the year, and in 2020!

SMH

If it is a work, and Skarka invented him to get some positive publicity... well, that's pretty low. And if it's legit and Skarka's willing to lie to the guy... that's pretty low too.

Either way, what worse thing can people say about Skarka than the truth?

If it is a work, and Skarka invented him to get some positive publicity... well, that's pretty low. And if it's legit and Skarka's willing to lie to the guy... that's pretty low too.

Either way, what worse thing can people say about Skarka than the truth?
I wasn't suggesting that!
That's pretty dark, even for Skarka.
Either way, I don't think the guy, cancer or not, is getting his game :sad:

And yet why the fuck does he just not release what he has and be done with it!

If I was a terrible person, I'd say something about how, "All this has taken a darq turn." but... only if I was a terrible person.

If I was a terrible person, I'd say something about how, "All this has taken a darq turn." but... only if I was a terrible person.
I think we can answer that question now....

And yet why the fuck does he just not release what he has and be done with it!

You think he has more than he's already released? Oh, you sweet summer child.

The offered that for Infinity as well and delivered.

Well, depends on what you mean. When I bought in, I thought that they'd be releasing past the Kickstarter. I can count the number of projects on which they offered their subscription and delivered anything beyond the stretch goals that would fall into that subscription on zero hands.

I would like to add that I really agree with TristramEvans TristramEvans here. There are some scams, but overall Kickstarter has definitely been a net positive. Tabletop games as an industry has never recovered from the CCG crash of the late 90's. Traditional methods of funding are closed to tabletop games companies unless they have an already popular and established brand.

Kickstarter and Indigogo have had a huge positive influence on the industry and allowed the publication of new exciting games that wouldn't have seen the light of day any other way. It would be nothing short of a tragedy if Kickstarter were to raise the barriers of entry so high no one can get in, or go away entirely just because of a few failed projects.

Kickstarter doesn't need to change, the Law needs to catch up. The idea of giving the same legal protections to a person who backed $150 board game as someone who put forth $50,000 or $1 Million to invest in a company is absurd. Perhaps an expansion to consumer protection law recognizing Backers as a separate class from both Customers and Investors and allowing them to request chargebacks up to two years from the date the project was funded?

I would like to add that I really agree with TristramEvans TristramEvans here. There are some scams, but overall Kickstarter has definitely been a net positive. Tabletop games as an industry has never recovered from the CCG crash of the late 90's. Traditional methods of funding are closed to tabletop games companies unless they have an already popular and established brand.

Kickstarter and Indigogo have had a huge positive influence on the industry and allowed the publication of new exciting games that wouldn't have seen the light of day any other way. It would be nothing short of a tragedy if Kickstarter were to raise the barriers of entry so high no one can get in, or go away entirely just because of a few failed projects.

Kickstarter doesn't need to change, the Law needs to catch up. The idea of giving the same legal protections to a person who backed $150 board game as someone who put forth $50,000 or $1 Million to invest in a company is absurd. Perhaps an expansion to consumer protection law recognizing Backers as a separate class from both Customers and Investors and allowing them to request chargebacks up to two years from the date the project was funded?

I'd agree that it's been a net positive. However, not so sure about consumer protections, nor even how to navigate those waters. When you're backing a Kickstarter, you're backing a project that might fail. It's not quite a prospectus as in purchasing part of company. But it's definitely not a retail arm. Kickstarters can fail honestly. And if you back, you have to realize this. Whether it's from lack of information on the part of the creators, changing market conditions, or any other number of reasons, the project can just fail. That's why you do your due diligence, and they're supposed to disclose risks. As I've backed more and more projects, I've refined my red flags to the point that my risk on projects is minimal. They might be late, or might not be necessarily to the quality that I expected, but I haven't had any just not deliver in a while.

If they held all of these to be the same thing, then you'd stifle any gains that you say that the platform has allowed.

I'd agree that it's been a net positive. However, not so sure about consumer protections, nor even how to navigate those waters. When you're backing a Kickstarter, you're backing a project that might fail. It's not quite a prospectus as in purchasing part of company. But it's definitely not a retail arm. Kickstarters can fail honestly. And if you back, you have to realize this. Whether it's from lack of information on the part of the creators, changing market conditions, or any other number of reasons, the project can just fail. That's why you do your due diligence, and they're supposed to disclose risks. As I've backed more and more projects, I've refined my red flags to the point that my risk on projects is minimal. They might be late, or might not be necessarily to the quality that I expected, but I haven't had any just not deliver in a while.

If they held all of these to be the same thing, then you'd stifle any gains that you say that the platform has allowed.

I will freely admit that my idea for how to regulate Crowdfunding isn't the best. It's just something I thought up on the fly.

You are absolutely right, however, that in backing ANY Crowdfunding campaign you are taking a risk. The campaign can fail for any number of reasons and when it does there's not likely to be enough left to refund everyone. Product development, especially game development, is a freaking black hole for time and money. I wish more people understood that.

Most don't, they aren't interested in learning and that leads to some seriously toxic behavior.

During the Infinity Kickstarter, I was one of the people calling for calm and patience and for my trouble I endured dog-piling, name-calling and at one point death threats.

It wish that Kickstarter would creators some kind of moderation control on their pages.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back