[Fate] Iron Street Combat

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I don't know whether this is going to be better than Fight: The Fighting Game RPG 2nd edition, which is currently in Kickstarter. But given the price, I'm totally going to get it (and pay if I end up using it, like I always do:tongue:).

I'll definitely give this a read, but Fate is totally not my thing. Fortunately, I have another system in mind I could use. :smile:

For a martial arts game, I'd want some fairly "crunchy"* rules where the various moves, styles, and techniques all have different advantages and disadvantages and recognizing your opponent's style and repertoire helps you defeat him. Rather like sword fights in Flashing Blades. My impression of Fate, which I'm not sure I comprehend, is that it's rather "hand-wavey"** and doesn't support that. True? False?

Or, I guess, why not use Ninjas and Superspies?

* as the kids say
** as the kids also say

For a martial arts game, I'd want some fairly "crunchy"* rules where the various moves, styles, and techniques all have different advantages and disadvantages and recognizing your opponent's style and repertoire helps you defeat him. Rather like sword fights in Flashing Blades.

I agree, which is definitely what I did with my game (mentioned above). I don't want to de-rail Theophilus' thread; I just wanted to respond to this.

In one respect, Fate is like the BRP family: there are core principles that can be instantiated in many different ways, from super light to ultra crunchy. Fate Core is probably medium to medium-light; a lot of crunch can be added onto that via the various supplements and settings.
Iron Street Combat (for example) has rules for martial arts matches and tournaments, and rules for fighting moves and styles. You can pursue it for free (PWYW) for details, but I'd say that's medium or so crunch, depending on what you're comparing it to.

For a martial arts game, I'd want some fairly "crunchy"* rules where the various moves, styles, and techniques all have different advantages and disadvantages and recognizing your opponent's style and repertoire helps you defeat him. Rather like sword fights in Flashing Blades. My impression of Fate, which I'm not sure I comprehend, is that it's rather "hand-wavey"** and doesn't support that. True? False?

Or, I guess, why not use Ninjas and Superspies?

* as the kids say
** as the kids also say
Because Fight: The Fighting Game RPG is by far the better choice:smile:!

What is the setting for Fight?

There isn't one by default. It's designed to emulate fighting video games, so you can do historical fantasy, like Samurai Shodown, or urban street crime, like Fatal Fury, or global espionage, like Street Fighter, or space opera, like Star Gladiator, or interdimensional invasion, like Mortal Kombat.

Hmmm, I'm definately gonna check this out sometime soon.

I am running an Action Flick homebrew using Fate Core, and I've recently bought Shadow Of The Century for inspiration. I reckon this new Iron Street Combat could also be thrown into the crazy mix for what I want! :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I'm definately gonna check this out sometime soon.

I am running an Action Flick homebrew using Fate Core, and I've recently bought Shadow Of The Century for inspiration. I reckon this new Iron Street Combat could also be thrown into the crazy mix for what I want! :thumbsup:
I had the same thought about mixing ISC with Shadow - they seem like a perfect fit!

Combat looks a little more mechanical than normal Fate. That's a positive in this case, for sure. Nice work using the Fate dice to attempt to mimic controller inputs. They lost me on the "create a character and create an unrelated faction", though. We're pretty traditional about the "one character per player" thing.

I can't imagine ever intentionally using a Palladium system game again. It's one of those things that seemed like a good idea when I was you and had only heard of Marvel & AD&D2e before.

BURN!!!! Oh, you meant "when I was young," didn't you? ... :grin:

Certainly a typo. I would never insult Butcher by implying he was anything like me. I like him far too much for that.

I was just asking for a Phaserip based Iron Fist/Masters of Kung Fu dream supplement. The Five Venoms are basically street level superheroes to begin with.

I think like Feng Shui a cinematic martial arts game benefits from a slightly lighter more flexible playset.

This looks cool but I’d skin it for classic Shaw Bros and blaxploitation cross-over play over the video game references.

Nope, I don't know what I was thinking either ...
Maybe you were thinking that there are more Fate fans than there are:smile:?

Iron Street Combat leaves me perplexed. It seems like a good idea...
But why the hell do all the comboes require +, _ and - to activate?

Also, it's got a sidebar lamenting the "unrealistic female body shapes in fighting games", and other similar issues, and inviting us to "do better". OK, I'm sorry, but I'm not playing RPGs to do that.
I much prefer the paragraph in Fight! 1e that was mentioning the same thing. For one thing, it wasn't prescriptive, and left the choice how closely to emulate the fighting games genre to the particular group, without moral outrage.

Also, the faction rules seem curious...but frankly, I find them to be a bit too narrative. I've got a negative relationship to the Japanese Evil Megacorp so I can use their stunts? WTF?

So yeah, I'm just going to wait for Fight! 2e, myself. And in the meantime, I could re-work* my "lifepaths for Fight!" system.

*Which was finished and then got lost when an external drive died. I haven't had the nerve to write it anew since then.

I'm glad you brought it to our attention. I thought there was some neat stuff in there, including some cool ideas on tweaking Fate mechanically.

I can't imagine ever intentionally using a Palladium system game again. It's one of those things that seemed like a good idea when I was young and had only heard of Marvel & AD&D2e before.

I make no bones about the sentimental nature of my attachment to Palladium. The best defense I can offer is that it's not as bad as the internet often makes it out to be, just abysmally written and not edited at all.

Certainly a typo. I would never insult Butcher by implying he was anything like me. I like him far too much for that.

I would certainly find no offense in that. You're a good man, Tommy, and that's definitely something to aspire for.

I make no bones about the sentimental nature of my attachment to Palladium. The best defense I can offer is that it's not as bad as the internet often makes it out to be, just abysmally written and not edited at all.

Well, I am speaking from experience (though it is obviously my opinion) and not just internet innuendo. :grin:

I would certainly find no offense in that. You're a good man, Tommy, and that's definitely something to aspire for.

You are far too kind, my friend.

Looks like a good Fate Core setting, I just picked it up from DrivethruRPG.
At first glance it's very much 'Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter'-meets-'Luchadores'-meets-'Enter The Dragon'-meets-'Action Jackson/Shaft'.
Is 'Smashploitation' a fitting term for something like this?!!!!
Looks alot of fun! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
View attachment 8564

Looks like a good Fate Core setting, I just picked it up from DrivethruRPG.
At first glance it's very much 'Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter'-meets-'Luchadores'-meets-'Enter The Dragon'-meets-'Action Jackson/Shaft'.
Is 'Smashploitation' a fitting term for something like this?!!!!
Looks alot of fun! :thumbsup:

So have you chance to play this one yet?

How does it compare to a game like the Streetfighter RPG or Final Fight?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back