Favourite RPG Maps?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
But here the thing. How many of those worlds would humanity care about? A while back I developed software generators for GURPS Space, Traveller Book 6 Scout, and several other system. The odds of a world being worth exploited for resources or is inhabitable was low for these systems. Even Traveller Book 6 when you do the temperature calculations to resulted in inhabitable worlds being few and far between. Between 150 to 200 worlds per sectors I will lucky to get a dozen worth something.

So unless the campaign is about surveying marginal world after marginal world. Then you can just create 12 to 24 for a large volume of a space and just focus on those when you have something like 30 parsec jumps avaliable.

If you want to see just how bad it is. I recommend buying and downloading Space Engine which uses a pretty solid procedural generation system to explore the universe. It includes real world data in periodic updates. L
I believe it really is one's call how common or rare one want's to make terran habitable worlds in one's game.

Certainly would not take Book 6 as any sort of simulator, back then we had even observed a single exoplanet and you would have been laughed at if suggested a system like Trappist-1 or if you proposed a Jupiter sized planet in Mercury's orbit (read recently hot Jupiters like this account for 1% of detected exoplanets so far)

Heck the other day just read about a possible planet detected around a trinary system. A few days before that one around a white dwarf. The before that about a hot gas giant that rains iron. Then an article about how an terran habitable planet can exist around a neutron star (and not the Larry Niven gas torus idea, which I understand her checked with an astrophysicist for plausibility). Let alone that rogue planets (those without a star) could well have life...especially given their estimated numbers. More things in heaven and hell.

I love real world data, but like to keep in mind it's limitations. Earth size planets are still very hard to detect, planets that orbit "far" from their star (1 AU can be far) are still hard to detect. There is a strong bias to detect large planets close to their star in pretty every technique, except direct imaging but that still favors large planets. Recent missions like TESS are changing that, however caveat with TESS it uses the transit method so it relies on the orbital plane be in line with our observations. A long way to say, what we see is skewed by the selection bias inherent in our technological limitations and not every system is amenable to our detections techniques (e.g. transit method really relies on a happenstance position of the orbital plane relative to us).

All that being said, it is like every where we look there are multi-planet systems, around stars and in orbits we never imagined. It really was not a lack of our physics but a lack of our imaginations and appreciation of all the things that are possible and apparently common. Given that what we do see is likely just the tip of the iceberg, and the giant planet close in ice berg, it could well be earth sized planets are also in abundance and all over the place in all sorts of orbits.

All that being said, I think it a jewel of a planet indeed, that has just the right orbital distance/temperature, axial tilt, gravity, atmosphere and atmospheric pressure. One could have a planet of same temperature, tilt and gravity but 3 atm. or 0.8 atm, habitable yes (let's assume the partial pressure of O2 is OK :smile: ), comfortable maybe not. Even upping gravity to 1.1 g could be unpleasant.

Let me digress, as I am wont to do, what has been getting me in sci fi lately is not that there are so many humanoid aliens that are perfectly content with our atmospheric mix, but they also seem fine with our gravity, pressure, temperature, humidity, light levels, "day" cycles, etc.. In these multispecies crews shouldn't there be a whole bunch were the "human" settings are a bit hot, a bit cold, a bit damp, a bit dry, gravity too much, or not enough, the air too thin, and the air too thick, the sleep cycle too short, the sleep cycle too long. Wouldn't the whole non-human crew be continually grumpy and uncomfortable when out of quarters? :smile:

Let me digress, as I am wont to do, what has been getting me in sci fi lately is not that there are so many humanoid aliens that are perfectly content with our atmospheric mix, but they also seem fine with our gravity, pressure, temperature, humidity, light levels, "day" cycles, etc.. In these multispecies crews shouldn't there be a whole bunch were the "human" settings are a bit hot, a bit cold, a bit damp, a bit dry, gravity too much, or not enough, the air too thin, and the air too thick, the sleep cycle too short, the sleep cycle too long. Wouldn't the whole non-human crew be continually grumpy and uncomfortable when out of quarters? :smile:
Yeah but I fully embrace that idea and came up with a hard science fiction way of doing it. In my setting a civilization of sentient dinosaurians arose on Earth 65 million years ago. They expanded outwards from Earth and terraformed every world within reach including lifeless worlds provided they were in the life zone of a system. Then transplanted Earth flora and fauna. Now 65 million years later humanity has expanded out and discovered all these world and still haven't reach the limit of what they terraformed.

On some of these world the terraforming degraded. On others life continued and evolved along different paths than Earth. Many had the dinosaurs survive and go through 65 million years of additional evolution. Other had their own extinction events which resulted a different mix of flora and fauna surviving.

There hasn't been any traces of non-Terran ecologies. Whatever was there before seemly was wiped out or never existed above the microbe level. Humanity has explored out to 200 light years and actively settled within a 100 light years.

There are several worlds that evolve sentient species. In my original conception there were only two other encountered. One a 100 years of us in technology and the other 100 years behind humanity. But last year I changed my mind and going to rework that a bit to be more Travelleresque but still using the 65 million year old terraforming.

These are the original aliens.
1634090216926.png

CTreni_ID.jpg

So this what I been working on for my next project. It will be four overlapping maps using the 12" by 18" poster that DriveThruRPG will sell. Unlike the Wilderlands the primary product will be the guidebooks and the maps separate and a print only option. There will be a map PDF but it be free and a brochure.

I have to have two separate product for the physical products. With the Wilderlands if you bought the physical maps you got the Guidebook PDF with that. But folks kept getting confused. So this time around I am going to do it differently.

majestic_fantasy_realms_sm.jpg

Actually, there's a funny story there. The first time I saw the name Dyson Logos was in the title of a Youtube vid where he was demonstrating something or another about using a tablet and effects to do something or another I'll never be cool enough to do. Anyway, for a long while I thought Dyson Logos was either the name of the pen he was using or maybe the software or something.

Some maps I really liked:
Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 08.45.57.jpg
Karen Wynn Fonstad's Middle Earth maps. I think she did something similar with Krynn/Dragonlance. I enjoy their hand-made flavor combined with their very pragmatic intentions, a lot of them being about the paths of quests or the migrations of the peoples of Middle Earth.

Speaking of Middle Earth, the MERP maps by Pete Fenlon. Probably my favorite overland map style in all RPG-dom.
Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 08.45.05.jpg

I do have a bit of love left for the old The Dark Eye maps, current editions are still good, maybe even more realistic, but I just like the older style. There's a whole Google Maps Clone using this:
Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 08.42.34.jpg

For more local stuff, HârnMaster remains at the top of my list:
Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 08.41.28.jpg
The shading of the fields, the height lines, the color palette...

As for dungeons, I'm with the Dyson Logos crowd. I might use more detailed stuff for VTTs these days (you can get some pretty decent results with Dungeondraft) becaue people got used to it, but would rather use B/W plus coarse shadings. Which, weirdly, is harder to make on my own.

I do have a soft spot for some generated maps.

From the @unchartedatlas twitter account:
FBnSB9HWQAEM0OA.png
watabou's One Page Dungeon:
halls_of_the_grey_queen.png
(similar to the Dyson style)

and their Village Generator
poprybourne.png

I'm really intrigued by the Helvéczia boxed set; the only reason I've held off is that I don't dig accumulating stacks of OSR system books that i know I'll never use as written. I sort of wish it was just a setting book with pre-3E style D&D stat blocks (like Castle Xyntillan). Anyone who owns it think I've missed out?

Possibly my favorite gaming map, when it comes to real use at the table. Perfect scale, format and level of detail for campaign play. i've used this for many, many systems:

arden-gms-aid-chivalry-sorcery-24_1_6bb19220717a9c32a1f954bfa3fccfa6.jpg

I'm really intrigued by the Helvéczia boxed set; the only reason I've held off is that I don't dig accumulating stacks of OSR system books that i know I'll never use as written. I sort of wish it was just a setting book with pre-3E style D&D stat blocks (like Castle Xyntillan). Anyone who owns it think I've missed out?
Well, I've posted a lot about it here. It's my favorite thing I've gotten in quite a while, and I'm quite itching to run it soon.
You could absolutely use it just for the setting. The thing is, the way the system benefits the setting is so strong I'd be very surprised if anyone read through the book and thought - yeah, this needs standard elves and dwarves and magic missile spells. The way that magic and virtue are implemented though could easily be ported to another system, so you could just as well use the system as a guideline for how to houserule your own preferred system into something quite unique.

Yea, the Karen Wynn Fonstad Middle Earth maps are really nice as are the MERPS ones and Harn has already been mentioned multiple times.

The Helvecia map looks interesting though the amount of black would be annoying to me since you can't recolor it.

under_score under_score So that map is going to be a part of the new Dolmenwood map?
No, that's just a random map he shared. I don't think anything has been written for it. It's certainly evocative though, and makes me want to start writing up locations.
Gavin shared a preview of Glynn's new Dolmenwood map a while ago. It was a very low res preview, but looked great.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back