Fellow Gamers, Do you play with yourself?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have, of course, played a lot of solo Tunnels & Trolls, as well as The Fantasy Trip. I do have Gardasiyal, and all its supplements, for solo roleplaying on Tekumel. Haven't played yet. I also have On Her Majesty's Secret Service, a solo campaign for James Bond 007, but I have yet to play it. T&T is quick and easy, the others require a little more commitment.

I have played RPGs solo and found that it only really works if you have a clear result that you are looking to get out of the play. Options like
1. Learning/testing the system
2. Learning or play testing a module
3. Creating an emergent fiction and how you write the fiction from the play is as important as the play itself.
4. Creating an emergent world that will be used for future play.
5. Passing time.

My last successful long solo campaign was very much based around creating an emergent fiction that I could read back with enjoyment and with a desire to practice writing in a particular style. It worked and several times I have been tempted to restart that narrative.

A few things that I learned (for me) were.
1. Play slow, I only played enough to write about 1500 per week of fiction, and would sometimes play ahead of the fiction to know where the plot was headed.
2. Use a simple system, as I wanted conversations between half a dozen party members then BX DND complexity was enough. A d20 system would be a comparative nightmare when trying to solo the same adventures.
3. Get feedback or show others. It helped me when I was in a down patch to know that somebody else is expecting to see the output.

I've been intrigued by solo roleplaying, but never really tried it. I have played Four Against Darkness a couple of times, but personally I'd consider it more of a skirmish-level wargame than an rpg.

I've been intrigued by solo roleplaying, but never really tried it. I have played Four Against Darkness a couple of times, but personally I'd consider it more of a skirmish-level wargame than an rpg.
Try Thousand Year Old Vampire. You won't be disappointed.

I'd think of it more as an entry into actual solo RPGs. To get into the solo mindset, i.e. gaming without group interaction. It could be the next step after CYOA game books.

Four Against Darkness claims that it can be run as a basic RPG with a group as well, with only little work.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back