Fellow Gamers, Do you play with yourself?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I consider gamebooks "solo RPG-lite". So yes, today I did play with myself:grin:!

Funny enough, it was an almost story-like experience. In the gamebook I read, named "heroes", you're playing the Quest Giver who employs heroes:tongue:!

I suspect the author is a gamer who wrote it as an in-joke:thumbsup:.

This is somewhat off topic, but it didn't worth its own thread. When using The Adventure Crafter tool as gm assistant how to you handle when a player character is Invoked? It feels rail road-y to me for some of the plot points.

To those that use the Adventure Crafter and Mythic tool, which do you prefer to use to get started?

To those that use the Adventure Crafter and Mythic tool, which do you prefer to use to get started?
Whichever is closer to my hand.
And that's actually the best kept secret of solo playing with mixing different engines, IME. There are no rules, not even in which one to apply in similar situations. Mix and match, do whatever feels right and don't worry about consistency in the way you generate the content to play with!
Even if it worked right once you can always try whether something else wouldn't work even better.

Well, that was an unexpected reaction...

But, the Crafter books are interesting but I'm not sure I've grasped them fully, they seem a little complicated to me for the purposes I've in mind though I experimentally use Adventure Crafter to form a 'chapter' for an going supers game that turned out well (though I suspect I screwed up somewhat). I'll have to delve into all the more and experiment a little more before making any firm decisions.

I do think I'm over thinking the thing a little and psyching myself out in the process; nothing really new I'm not proud to say. But with that in mind, I've decided to just go for it. I'm going to use Cyberpunk 2020 as a nominal setting (as a tribute to the incoming year) and a techie I rolled up for it, Hawaiian born, half Japanese that spent most of her teens in and out of jail, is just getting out as the 'game' begins and see where that takes me.

On another question, how do the Solo gamers like to handle social activity? It seems like a system with fairly robust social mechanics (Say Exalted 3rd edition level) would be helpful but even in that case some things require gm arbitration (Was the soliloquy worth a bonus? That sort of thing) Do set that aside or do you feel distanced and objective enough to make those sort of calls even for 'your' character or do something all different?

On another question, how do the Solo gamers like to handle social activity? It seems like a system with fairly robust social mechanics (Say Exalted 3rd edition level) would be helpful but even in that case some things require gm arbitration (Was the soliloquy worth a bonus? That sort of thing) Do set that aside or do you feel distanced and objective enough to make those sort of calls even for 'your' character or do something all different?
I just use the Mythic table for a Yes/No question (but without producing random events if it's a "minor" question, which is my houserule).

I just use the Mythic table for a Yes/No question (but without producing random events if it's a "minor" question, which is my houserule).

Do you alter the probability based on the 'quality' of the statement you come up with? Ex: "That seems like a good response given the situation, mood and the NPC's attitudes, I'll shift form Unlikely to Somewhat Likely."

Other than gamebooks as a kid, and the odd mock battle to test a new system, I had never tried solo gaming until the other night. I've been meaning to try out Reign/ORE with the group, but due to life we haven't got around to it.

So, inspired by this thread and a few others like it, I played with myself for the first time ever just last night. It was much more pleasurable than I would have thought, thanks for asking, and i'll definitely be cracking on with it at my own pace.

Found the Mythic GM Emulator to be overly complex for my needs tiny mind, so I used a mash-up of a d5 oracle I spent thirty seconds devising, Storycubes and some things my cat knocked off a shelf because I was ignoring her for "solo-time". Next time I'll probably add some "poetry cube" things my wife has, a deck of cards and of course a big box of Kleenex.

Found the Mythic GM Emulator to be overly complex for my needs tiny mind, so I used a mash-up of a d5 oracle I spent thirty seconds devising, Storycubes and some things my cat knocked off a shelf because I was ignoring her for "solo-time".

What are the details of your d5 oracle?

What are the details of your d5 oracle?

Oh it's ridiculously oversimplified, but it got the job done for a 2 hour session:

1: Things Progress Well 2: Things Progress, but with a Complication 3: Things Go Slightly South, two Complications 4: Things Go South, a Consequence 5: Progress Pushed Backwards, Complication and a Consequence

Where a Complication is a problem that can be sorted out by social or "soft" skills like Stealth, while a Consequence has to be sorted out with "hard skills" like running away, combat or big magic. As you can Tell by my Use of Capitals, I might try and fatten it up and develop it a bit more. I've already started fleshing out a couple of generic d66 Complication and Consequence tables.

Do you alter the probability based on the 'quality' of the statement you come up with? Ex: "That seems like a good response given the situation, mood and the NPC's attitudes, I'll shift form Unlikely to Somewhat Likely."
Yes, it's standard for Mythic. Though if I don't know the answer, I'm usually close to 50:50... or else the question becomes "am I right that he'd be swayed by this argument" (or something like this).

I am genuinely curious, how does this look in practice? Do you sit there talking to yourself and reading stuff out loud, do you write things down as they happen, do you follow a specific published scenario or sandbox, do you prep anything, draw maps, etc.?

My only experience playing with myself was with some crappy gamebooks. I did recently back the Kickstarter for The Necronomicon Gamebook: Carcosa and included The Necronomicon Gamebook: Dagon in my pledge, so I got two good-looking gamebooks coming my way.

links:
THE NECRONOMICON GAMEBOOK - CARCOSA by Officina Meningi — Kickstarter
THE NECRONOMICON GAMEBOOK: DAGON - an illustrated adventure by Officina Meningi — Kickstarter

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinion on the Universal NPC Emulator and/or the Character Mechanisms 1 and 2 books?

Tony Dowler has a new edition of his nifty How to Host a Dungeon solo/GM prep out now. Really enjoyed the original will pick this up sometime, highly recommended.

Here are some video reviews of Solo role playing tools. The host's channel has more along with discussions of other topics that could be informative to anyone interested.

The Adventure Crafter:

The Creature and Location Crafter:

Yeah, I just blew a huge load watching some hentai videos a few minutes ago

...oh wait, you were talking about solo gaming?

Haven't done it yet, but I really want to. I probably should give it a try.

Yeah, I just blew a huge load watching some hentai videos a few minutes ago

8eRf.gif

I am genuinely curious, how does this look in practice? Do you sit there talking to yourself and reading stuff out loud . . .
Granting that talking to myself is a not-uncommon thing generally, I verbalize a little dialog once in awhile to get a sense of how something sounds outside the confines of my own skull, to better gauge how a request or a threat or the like might actually sound.

. . . do you write things down as they happen . . .
Definitely. Keeping a pretty detailed log is important to me, as it helps me keep everything straight.

. . . do you follow a specific published scenario or sandbox . . .
I've never tried this with a published module or the like; I used my own sandbox settings instead. I could see using this with a module, however.

. . . do you prep anything, draw maps, etc.?
I have my setting notes and maps. If I need a location for which I don't have a map, I'll pull one from another resource or improv one on the spot.

I am genuinely curious, how does this look in practice? Do you sit there talking to yourself and reading stuff out loud, do you write things down as they happen, do you follow a specific published scenario or sandbox, do you prep anything, draw maps, etc.?

My only experience playing with myself was with some crappy gamebooks. I did recently back the Kickstarter for The Necronomicon Gamebook: Carcosa and included The Necronomicon Gamebook: Dagon in my pledge, so I got two good-looking gamebooks coming my way.

links:
THE NECRONOMICON GAMEBOOK - CARCOSA by Officina Meningi — Kickstarter
THE NECRONOMICON GAMEBOOK: DAGON - an illustrated adventure by Officina Meningi — Kickstarter

While I haven''t tried it yet, here is a video from the same host that tend the reviews describing how he plays solo

And here is an example using module.

And using prewritten adventure overall in solo play

Does anyone have an suggestions for handling those two-three word plot/story event prompts generated by the GME and other solo gaming tools?

If you're otherwise only resolving Yes/No questions, I'd think they would give a starting topic for subsequent questions. In general, trying to work within the small constraint they give inspires me where having no constraint leaves me adrift only to end up with something rote (although I'm more likely to use the kind that generate NPC personalities).

Not really. I'm not against it. But if I'm doing stuff on my own I'll generally solo a boardgame, play a video game or do a gamebook.

Does anyone have an suggestions for handling those two-three word plot/story event prompts generated by the GME and other solo gaming tools?
Post the non-obvious ones on the forum in this thread and let us have a field party with them:thumbsup:? Remember, even if Mythic says you should use it now...there's no reason not to put it off for the next session. You might even have a few of those for the start of next session.

(I mean, I usually look at them and know what they mean. That's kinda hard to make a useful suggestion from, though!
OTOH, I'm sure people here would find it fun to suggest ideas that get your PC into trouble:shade:).

This book was written by Geek Gamers, who does a lot of solo gaming videos on YouTube.

And there's plenty more.

This book was written by Geek Gamers, who does a lot of solo gaming videos on YouTube.

And there's plenty more.
That price. Ouch. Wish I could.

I have to admit the whole idea just seems bizarre to me.

Same. But to each their own. That said, Advanced Fighting Fantasy rules seem remarkably compatible with the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' Fighting Fantasy book series. So creating your own CYOA vignette and running/reading it could qualify. Could also be a nice way to playtest solo adventures without scheduling issues.

Same. But to each their own. That said, Advanced Fighting Fantasy rules seem remarkably compatible with the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' Fighting Fantasy book series. So creating your own CYOA vignette and running/reading it could qualify. Could also be a nice way to playtest solo adventures without scheduling issues.
Let me check...so you* and TJS TJS* see solo RPGing as weird, but solo playing of gamebooks is fine, and group playing an RPG is totally non-weird:ooh:?
You do know that gamebooks basically come from RPGs, right:thumbsup:?

*Yes, I do know that you can't talk for each other.

I'll sometimes do some solo games using various wondering monster charts or encounter generators in order to learn rules before I GM. But nothing extensive that I personally continue once I start playing with a group.

My solo roleplaying is mostly character creation and creating scenarios in my head. I mean Traveller character creation is a game unto itself. Being a Hero System/ Champions gamer, building characters to do "just what you want" is always both a challenge and a past time. (Super Gaming in general is a lot about character creation).

For every character, I build I aways run some session zero scenarios and roleplay in my head. I found that helps solidify the character in my mind and help in the write ups. (31 characters here and the one with the runaway session zero write-up HERE).

I like creating settings. That is not roleplaying per say, but roleplaying adjacent. I have gotten good at it, having to build a new world almost every week running Fringeworthy. Sometimes I will run a character or two through that setting, seeing what "an average" or "unaverage" player will try and encounter (thus knowing what I need to detail). There are some here. Though these are more the initial summaries, most of these have more work done for them elsewhere. These are also meta-setting ideas for Convergence Point, the game I currently am taking a break from to write Neo Frontier and the Mars/ Blackbird.

I also have a penchant for creating things for games like here and here. Part of this is keeping the creative muscles stretched and a writing exercise, and you never know when you might need something

I have to admit the whole idea just seems bizarre to me.
I was the same, but I find myself warming up to the idea.

Last edited:
Let me check...so you* and TJS TJS* see solo RPGing as weird, but solo playing of gamebooks is fine, and group playing an RPG is totally non-weird:ooh:?

Think of it this way, solitaire, although boring, is designed for solo play.

Playing poker against yourself is very weird because bluffing.

I don't know what you all exactly mean by solo play or what it entails, but to me it's weird because to me the whole raison d'etre of rpgs seems to arise from the social interaction between player and gm.

Think of it this way, solitaire, although boring, is designed for solo play.

Playing poker against yourself is very weird because bluffing.

I don't know what you all exactly mean by solo play or what it entails, but to me it's weird because to me the whole raison d'etre of rpgs seems to arise from the social interaction between player and gm.
I suspect I don't know what you mean by "social interaction" there, especially the first part:shock:?

I suspect I don't know what you mean by "social interaction" there, especially the first part:shock:?
Basically just that I think the conversational back and forth is key.

There's no difference between player and GM knowledge if they are the same person!

It's more of the creation : consumption divide. I prefer reading books over writing them. I prefer watching videos over making them. And others can be true: I prefer cooking some dishes over eating them, I prefer neither taking nor being in family/personal photos.

I like playing rpgs almost as much as running them. I prefer preparing RPG games and running them for others almost equally, too. But somewhere when it is only for myself the lack of social feedback hampers my enjoyment.

It's like being stuck eating your own experimental recipes, or reading your own fanfic... It's like a comedian crafting jokes in private, but then tells the jokes to himself as an audience of one to see if he laughs... Yeah, a great way to hone your craft, but doesn't derive the same feeling, and can give false positives. We can all think we're 'brilliant and hysterical, it's others who just don't get us', but comparing tastes to other audiences helps keep the hobby experience grounded for me. :thumbsup:

It's more of the creation : consumption divide. I prefer reading books over writing them. I prefer watching videos over making them. And others can be true: I prefer cooking some dishes over eating them, I prefer neither taking nor being in family/personal photos.

I like playing rpgs almost as much as running them. I prefer preparing RPG games and running them for others almost equally, too. But somewhere when it is only for myself the lack of social feedback hampers my enjoyment.

It's like being stuck eating your own experimental recipes, or reading your own fanfic... It's like a comedian crafting jokes in private, but then tells the jokes to himself as an audience of one to see if he laughs... Yeah, a great way to hone your craft, but doesn't derive the same feeling, and can give false positives. We can all think we're 'brilliant and hysterical, it's others who just don't get us', but comparing tastes to other audiences helps keep the hobby experience grounded for me. :thumbsup:
A totally valid objection as well, especially the part about false positives! But see my reply to TJS and the part about assuming the GM-emulating part of the system is a person. (It's like the thing that's called "fiction*" in the law: something we might know is not true - or we know it might be true or not true - but we assume it anyway because the results make more sense then).

*No, not the dirty storygaming kind of "fiction". You want to get a litterature professor, a storygamer, a journalist and a lawyer to fight? Ask each of them to define the word "fiction":devil:!

Basically just that I think the conversational back and forth is key.

There's no difference between player and GM knowledge if they are the same person!
That would technically be true, but IME if you use a system like Mythic, it doesn't present a problem. But you should assume that the system is a "person".

Why? Well, have you seen the players going boldly forward and then thinking of something that might ruin them:grin:?
"Oh, wait, isn't that ogre actually a servant of the Red Queen to whom we promised not to hurt neither her nor her servants, under an Eclipse Oath?"
And thing is, then you roll...and you find out either that 1) no, your worries were ungrounded, or b) that the GM was smiling ghoulishly the whole time:thumbsup:.

Only while reading Dank Memes. But I'm having a hard time making them out. Did someone change the font size?

For people who would like to take a crunchy approach to solo gaming:

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back