FFG's Upcoming Big Boxes: Outer Rim (star wars) and Journeys in Middle Earth (duh)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
So they've streamed a live play for each of these which I was quite excited for.

However Outer Rim looks a little bit bland to be truthful. It's just a pick up and deliver game in the SW universe. That isn't a million parsecs slower than what I expected but it does look a bit plain. The Bounty missions look rather dull...go to a place, hope the token is the guy you're after if not...turn wasted.

Journeys looks more promising though a little closer to MoM 2e than I would like. While I do enjoy that game, it's not one I'd buy as it's more an experience than a game. There isn't a lot of depth to it, however this game does have a levelling up mechanism. The use of cards not dice is interesting but the gameplay seems simplistic. It's hard to tell given that play was based on the inevitable intro scenarios.

I'm pretty good at modding games for solo, but my group is all now close again, so that probably isn't necessary. I just don't know if I would have the *time*.

For what it's worth, I'd read on BoardGameGeek that the intro scenarios are really bland, but the game gets cooler and deeper after that.

To sound like a broken record, I am not interested in Journeys as it requires the App. I don't mind it as an option but its a no-sell as a requirement.

I am interested in Outer Rim. I expect it will pale in comparison to Xia: Legends of a Drift System, which is my favourite all-time board game, but a Star Wars game that is playable in 2 hours will definitely see some table time and though the pieces may be dull, I expect it to shine once you add player interactions.

Just watched the play through of Outer Rim. I see what you mean. It looks solid but lacks a certain something and seems to rely heavily on card text for narrative. I will wait to get this one I think, and play Xia whenever the urge to get it arises :smile:

So despite my complaining :grin: I picked up Journeys.

And it's pretty good actually. Much easier to setup. The card system is pretty decent. The battlemap variant works quite well.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back