Fight! 2nd edition now available.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Nexus

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score

Streetfighter: The Storytelling game was mention a few times recently so this comes as well timed good news. I found the original to be the very successor, in fact much more aligned with genre that SF:tpg. The second edition sounds much improved, more flexible with the rough edges in the previous rules addressed so I thought I'd share it here for those interested in a cinematic/video game martial arts rpg. Fight! is setting neutral so it can be used for any setting or to shape your own.

Last edited:
Ooh finances are pretty tight at the second with everything going on, but I definitely want to pick this up when I have the spare cash. i really liked 1e.

I already downloaded my KS backer copy last night. Haven't read it yet, though:thumbsup:!

Thanks for putting this up, Nexus! If anyone has any questions, happy to answer them! :smile:

I've only read it once. Still haven't been able to work all of the differences between the rules (for example, it seems I've missed something, which made me misunderstand the Utility Comboes).
I have at least the impression that 2nd edition has cleaned up the rules interactions (sometimes by applying additional costs, say FS, to powerful rules interaction comboes). And it's nice to have all the rules from the supplements in one place!
But it's too early to really comment on the mechanics:shade:.

That said, I really liked the art direction of the 1st edition way better. It's a minor complaint, of course, but the (often overly muscled) character pictures seemed like they'd fit better in a book about superheroes, not one about fighting games (which many people accuse of being unrealistic because many fighters don't have obviously high muscle tone).
Also, whoever the artist is (I didn't bother to check), if he or she puts a hand in the front, the hand is often unproportionally big.

Now, I usually say that I don't care...and it's true, I don't:grin:! Normally you wouldn't even hear me commenting on the art (barring extreme cases like Artesia or Exalted 3e, to mention a positive and a negative example)!
This is not an extreme case by any means. But hey, until I digest the rules, what else do you expect me to comment on:tongue:?

Someone on DriveThru mentioned you could even run something like Curse of Strahd with Fight! 2e...and now I *really* want to.

Someone on DriveThru mentioned you could even run something like Curse of Strahd with Fight! 2e...and now I *really* want to.

I have had the joke character that I keep threatening to try to play of a Vampire Wrestler forever and I feel if someone did that I would be compelled to play it.

(Not a vampire that is a wrestler. A person who wrestles vampires. He looks like an old timey strongman with the mustache and everything. He rubs down his muscles with holy oils eats tons of garlic and then just wrestles the vampires).

From my cursory reading, yes, you should be able to! The rules for minor enemies have been buffed up almost as much as the fighters depicted in the art:grin:!

I have had the joke character that I keep threatening to try to play of a Vampire Wrestler forever and I feel if someone did that I would be compelled to play it.

(Not a vampire that is a wrestler. A person who wrestles vampires. He looks like an old timey strongman with the mustache and everything. He rubs down his muscles with holy oils eats tons of garlic and then just wrestles the vampires
He should also have a Ranged attack based on eating the garlic with beans:devil:!

Though I suspect that you'd get bored with the character after a while.

Hm, are there any changes from 1st edition that you feel were particularly needed?

Sure. We made sure we clarified how every Special Move Element worked in a Combo. We made playing out combat on a simple 5x5 square battlemap not only easier but the preferred style of play - *so* much easier to do big fight scenes now! We made the Environment rules actually usable, so it's very easy to have interesting terrain effects in a fight.

Those aren't the only changes, of course, but I'd classify those that were "needed."

Sure. We made sure we clarified how every Special Move Element worked in a Combo. We made playing out combat on a simple 5x5 square battlemap not only easier but the preferred style of play - *so* much easier to do big fight scenes now! We made the Environment rules actually usable, so it's very easy to have interesting terrain effects in a fight.

Those aren't the only changes, of course, but I'd classify those that were "needed."

Those sound great. The unmapped nature of combat really threw to be honest. Would it be possible to use Hexes instead of Squares without too much difficulty? As a Hero guy, I have allot of Hex maps. :smile:

You'd have to make minor adjustments for hexes, but no, nothing would break.

You'd have to make minor adjustments for hexes, but no, nothing would break.

I hope its not too difficult, but its not a major thing, I can get and make new maps, squares are the general default.

Are there totally new innovations or would you say 2nd edition is more a polishing up and smoothing the rough edges of 1st?

Last edited:
I'd say it's more than just "1st Edition Revised," but as 2nd editions go, it's definitely more a refinement of the 1st rather than a radical new addition.

I'd say it's more than just "1st Edition Revised," but as 2nd editions go, it's definitely more a refinement of the 1st rather than a radical new addition.

I am happy to hear that. I prefer refinement and expansion to overhaul when it comes to editions since it doesn't effectively say "All that work you did before? Toss it."

I'm not scared off, though I am working through computer difficulties ATM.

But on point, was there an outstanding question I hadn't answered?

I'm not scared off, though I am working through computer difficulties ATM.

But on point, was there an outstanding question I hadn't answered?

Sort of, this was part of an earlier post but included in another qestion you answered so may have been missed.

Are there totally new innovations

Nexus asked if there were any totally new innovations. The short answer is, "no, because we didn't think totally new innovations were needed." However, the Keywords section for Special Moves is totally new. They provided a common language to see how different Special Move Elements interacted with each other, but the best part about them is that they are so transparent that they get out of the way until you need to use them.

Should edit my posts before hitting the button. :smile: No, there are no major innovations that change the game. But Keywords are a totally new tool to help make parts of the game run more efficiently.

What is the timeline on when we can order physical copies? I would love to pick this up, but after how much I liked 1st edition, I'd rather have a physical copy. (I wish that my wallet and the kickstarter had lined up when it was on).

I've ordered the rest of the proofs. I don't anticipate any problems with them. I'd say a week or two.

Fight! 2nd edition will feature in The Pub Presents in about a month's time.

And I'm still not sure about the Utility comboes, but they sure are an interesting idea:smile:!

Sometimes you want to use a non-damaging move to open a Combo (a Buff, for example). By the 1e rules, that automatically made the 2nd move do 1/2 damage. With a formal Utility Combo, that 2nd move still does full damage.

Sometimes you want to use a non-damaging move to open a Combo (a Buff, for example). By the 1e rules, that automatically made the 2nd move do 1/2 damage. With a formal Utility Combo, that 2nd move still does full damage.

There are different types of Combos in the new edition?

Yeah, I'm just not sure what's stopping me from going for a Utility move first, d12 (with accuracy penalty and Takedown) move second:shade:!

Nothin'! I've built moves before that were terrible on their own just to make them 2nd moves in Combos where I didn't need to worry about Accuracy!

Nothin'! I've built moves before that were terrible on their own just to make them 2nd moves in Combos where I didn't need to worry about Accuracy!
OK, so would you say that this is not abuse, it's good play:smile:?

Yeah, I suppose it could get abusive if overused, but really, it's not a game-breaking style of play. It generally requires high Control, which can never be counted on, and, depending on the 2nd move, probably easy enough to counter.

But as a great *trick*? Yeah, definitely good play.

Yeah, I suppose it could get abusive if overused, but really, it's not a game-breaking style of play. It generally requires high Control, which can never be counted on, and, depending on the 2nd move, probably easy enough to counter.

But as a great *trick*? Yeah, definitely good play.

I generally don't think that way about building abilities so I'm lucky allot of my players don't either :grin: I never could come up with a way to even have a sporting chance against, let alone best that fighter from the example of fights that was optimized so well.

Trick is that just slang or a term in the game?

Oh and did you see my question about Combos?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back