Fighting games and beat 'em ups, the thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Animations for Remy from Street Fighter III.

8ynjuIt.gif

CFImVSF.gif

iwqybJ4.gif

xi4cWGN.gif

Revengers of Vengeance anyone?

Part crappy RPG. Part crappy SHMUP. And part crappy one on one fighter!

Yes, I owned this bitd. Yes, I played it a lot. I think I completed it with every character. I actually kind of liked it. Plus, I paid $40 for it and had to get my money's worth out of it.

All y’all haven’t mentioned samurai shodown or karate champ or mortal kombat or killer instinct. Samurai Shodown robbed me of many many quarters. Tachibana Ukyo!

My wife's a fan of the BlazBlue and Guilty Gear series. I suck at (fighting) games but these two sure look fun with those completely bonkers characters.

There's also a couple of Mortal Kombat and Soulcalibur games on the shelves. Also, Persona 4 Arena, Samurai Showdown, Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late, Granblue Fantasy: Versus. She also played Skullgirls but didn't like that one so much.

Last edited:
Oh, I think there are a *lot* of game series that haven't been mentioned here (my game's "Appendix N" of sorts has over 100); I think the OP and some others were trying to do deep dives on fighting games and also focus on beat'em ups (which is a different genre).

I remain a fan of KOF for the combination of character design and epic story - that still remains accessible (I'm looking at you GG and BB).

Oh, I think there are a *lot* of game series that haven't been mentioned here (my game's "Appendix N" of sorts has over 100); I think the OP and some others were trying to do deep dives on fighting games and also focus on beat'em ups (which is a different genre).

I'm just getting started with this thread! :wink: And yes, I'm throwing fighting games and beat'em ups into one thread on this forum because when brought to tabletop RPGs they mostly blend together.

Anyway, here's a thorough playthrough of Dynamite Deka.

Images of Jago from Killer Instinct.

XEiAUAO.jpg

K9m4t5J.jpg

1FUfC7o.gif

Plus, the indescribably cool music they gave him a few years back:

The enemy sprites from Double Dragon II. I always dug Right Arm with the Frankenstein + Peter Lorre vibe I (somehow) got from his sprite.

S5iWpFn.png

For decent-but-not-great players, R. Bear was usually the boss who ended their Streets of Rage II runs. If he didn't end them, he often consumed enough lives that the run would end soon afterward anyway.

vjCvyNa.png

For decent-but-not-great players, R. Bear was usually the boss who ended their Streets of Rage II runs. If he didn't end them, he often consumed enough lives that the run would end soon afterward anyway.

Bear is always rough for me, especially when I'm coming back to SoR2 after an extended period away. He is probably one of the roughest bosses in the game. That said, I don't think he's ever ended one of my runs.

The Zamza fight at the end of the island level has ended some of my runs. It's not so much Zamza. It's that the beach to the boss fight is probably one of the roughest stretches in the game, at least to me. Then comes Zamza with Jet flying interference.

The robots Particle and Molecule end my runs sometime, but that's really more because of the elevator section leading to them rather than the robots themselves.

As mixed in quality and authenticity as it was, Double Dragon 4 did have some cute sprites that fit nicely in with the original ones.

kk3tT2U.png

uA5ueRX.png

nBYnTXA.png

As mixed in quality and authenticity as it was, Double Dragon 4 did have some cute sprites that fit nicely in with the original ones.

I seem to recall it getting savaged in reviews. I avoided it for a long time because I was a fan of the original arcade and not really the NES game, so the NES style did initially put me off.

But it went on sale on PSN for something like a buck or something, so I bought it. I'm pretty sure I would have been happy with the game even at it's "sky high" MSRP of $6.99. It has play value. It's definitely a sequel to the NES franchise and not any kind of homage to the arcade, but it's pretty good. Really good for the price.

It's not Streets of Rage 2, but neither is anything else. I played it for a while, unlocked quite a bit of stuff, and was happy with it.

I seem to recall it getting savaged in reviews. I avoided it for a long time because I was a fan of the original arcade and not really the NES game, so the NES style did initially put me off.

Interesting. Having played both back in the day, I largely preferred the NES versions to the arcade versions. Even with 'inferior' graphics the NES games just looked more appealing and less choppy. They gameplay also felt more responsive and easier to time.

KrJFKDm.jpg

Manual art from the Game Boy version of Hot-Blooded Tough Guy Kunio: The Further Brawls. I somehow played this at a friend's house in France, despite the fact that this game was re-skinned as Double Dragon II (Game Boy) for the Western release. I don't know where he got it.

02JAg3L.png
ZAa3ybP.png
gcMK9nH.png
VtCvnt6.png
GWrAP9y.png
lsRaQqf.png
gb7a2Gy.png
uyBIryX.png
iIlrPd3.png
botrVAn.png
aq6TZU6.png
77OdcUZ.png

The character of Earthquake from Samurai Shodown is one of the first to pop into my head when I imagine 'intimidating'.

R4K137k.jpg

UaiCUfI.png

mKk7JVz.gif

I remember an arcade game when I was a kid that was a fighter. All the characters are wearing armor. As you get hit it knocks armor off. Anyone able to job my memory and know the name of it?

I remember an arcade game when I was a kid that was a fighter. All the characters are wearing armor. As you get hit it knocks armor off. Anyone able to job my memory and know the name of it?
How old? How obscure? It might have been Fighting Vipers?

Gladiator?

It was a game where you autoscrolled left to right while crap flew at you. You had to block it with your shield or otherwise evade it. Then, after you got through all the flying junk, you'd fight another gladiator, have to knock off their armor, and stab them in an unarmored spot to progress.

Gladiator?

It was a game where you autoscrolled left to right while crap flew at you. You had to block it with your shield or otherwise evade it. Then, after you got through all the flying junk, you'd fight another gladiator, have to knock off their armor, and stab them in an unarmored spot to progress.

Yes, I think thats it! I've been thinking about that game since I started reading this thread. Thank you. My cousin and I spent a lot of quarters on that game in the little video rental store in our little town.

Yes, I think thats it! I've been thinking about that game since I started reading this thread. Thank you. My cousin and I spent a lot of quarters on that game in the little video rental store in our little town.

For me it was in a game room of a 7-11/Circle K (same place, I just forget what branding the building was under at that point). I completely sucked at it. I remember that early on when I first got access to the internet, it was one of those curiosities that I tried to track it down and put a name to based on my hazy memories.

It's on one of the Taito Legends discs for the PS2. I played it again there for the first time in decades. I still suck at it.

Oh, I kinda loved this one, even if it's only a mediocre game. It was the 1st game I played with a full anime story mode. It didn't matter than I couldn't understand it - it was really cool for the time. The Critical Blow mechanic, which was way before GG's one-hit kills, was put into Fight! Round 2.

A cheesy Bruce Lee video game for the Commodore 64:

I remember playing that a bit on my friend Jason's C64. There was also a Zorro game that played similarly. They were very puzzley, knowing where to go and what to do in an area.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back