Firefly-like campaign game choice

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

sdmsec

Reaction score
There is also the original D20 version of Bulldogs! for anyone who doesn't get along with Fate. I picked as extra source material as it very cheap.
Which of the Bulldogs! Fate versions did you use, or, if both, which do you prefer: Fate or Fate Core?

Gringnr

I ❤️ FAT CHICKS
Reaction score
Traveller. Whedon said Firefly was based on an RPG campaign he played in college. He's never said which system, but it's pretty obviously Traveller. Hell, in the scripts for the show, he spells traveller with two l's here and there, rather than in the American single l. So, why not go to the source? It seems the obvious choice for the most "authentic" experience., IMO.

Lord Dynel

Reaction score
Traveller. Whedon said Firefly was based on an RPG campaign he played in college. He's never said which system, but it's pretty obviously Traveller. Hell, in the scripts for the show, he spells traveller with two l's here and there, rather than in the American single l. So, why not go to the source? It seems the obvious choice for the most "authentic" experience., IMO.
And I think character creation is a lot of fun! Some of the best character creation sessions I've ever had was with Traveller.

Arthur Frayn

Reaction score
One of my favorite things about Kevin Crawford's stuff (and I own all of it, or close) is that it's still really useful even if you aren't using the default system.

Heh- I was in a Stars Without Numbers campaign that started with 1st Edition SWN, then was ported over entirely into Savage Worlds for about a year, and then got ported a 3rd time into... Some Black Hack variant I think?

Know what never changed? The charts. They worked beautifully with damn near any game system.

Graelorn

Reaction score
Of those listed I'd go w/ Traveller, if only because I'm not familiar with the rest.

If you're looking for Star Wars meets Firefly, might I suggest Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. It meets all your needs...if you like the rules. It is a system that requires special dice. And some people bounce right off the rules. But take a look, you might like it.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com