First Pics From the Hellboy Boardgame

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
3 minutes in and it's halfway funded

Funded in 15 minutes with over 1000 backers!

First stretch goal unlocked. Hecate!

246f22769551dc0e6b1185d8ceb9ea2f_original.png

Backed! #291.

I've never spent so much on a Kickstarter.

I'm surprised that it costs more to ship to Canada than to the US. I would've figured we'd have a perk being a part of the Commonwealth and all. Why does Canada suck so hard? I don't live in a remote location: Ottawa's a stone throw away from Montreal and Toronto...

They said in the KS comments that they are looking into Canada-friendly shipping options, so hopefuly that get wraps up before the campaign's end

Canada's postal service in general is the only thing I don't like about this country over living in the US.

Oh yes. That and San Francisco. Nice city.

Actually never made it to California. Closest was Portland. Vancouver and Portland are very similar cities I find, with one sad exception: Vancouver does not have Powell's Books.

I'm a little worried about the cost, but I can rationalize it thus:
  • I've collectively spent as much on a single RPG and boardgames like Arkham Horror, so it's nothing new
  • I love co-op games.
  • I love dungeon board games like Hero Quest and Warhammer Quest.
  • I love Mike Mignola.
  • So many miniatures that I can reuse in RPGs: Nazis, frog mutants, tentacled horrors, big scary bosses, pulp action heroes...
  • Using it as a basis for homebrewed games... Especially if it gets a "campaign" mode...

I'm on the fence, but only because I already backed or bought a number of coop adventure/dungeon boardgames and I'm not sure how similar the experiences are going to turn out. Also, I'm currently having trouble getting myself to actually study the rules and play. Otherwise I'd already be in. I'll probably cave in eventually, though. Especially now that the "pamcakes" Hellboy miniature is included...

The gameplay looks to be very similar to Mansions of Madness but with combat

That looks like a GREAT game. I haven't read the Hellboy comics, but I dearly loved both movies.

Here is the Beta Rulebook.
http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/Hellboy Downloadable Beta Rulebook v3.0.pdf

I am however getting miffed with $100+ boardgames. I own several (Conan, The Others, Rising Sun - all favs), but I haven't gotten an ROI out of them yet to justify more of them (even though I'm almost about to pull the trigger on Zombicide: Invaders).

I would like them to focus on improving the base game components rather than adding more stuff that will just increase my shipping costs. There's already so much in there as-is. So, I'm glad to see that some of the stretch goals are just adding in new scenarios.

For example: upgrading the quality of pieces, adding in more variety of missions (maybe not all of them have to end with a fight). Or perhaps missions in which the characters just have to escape (the clues help them accomplish that goal). Or perhaps a campaign mode, where characters can go through a larger storyline (and keep some form of benefit from mission to mission).

I'm a fan of the minis as I can reuse them in other games (I have no nazis or frogmen right now: they're always great to have as enemy mooks in many RPGs). But I don't want to have to pay more than what I already will for shipping (it's already at over 40$ CAD). They are looking to reduce that, of course.

I haven't read the Hellboy comics, but I dearly loved both movies.
The books are great. If you liked the movies, I'm sure that you'd like the comics. But there are some significant differences.

For example, the titular character in the books doesn't have a romantic relationship with Liz.

I am however getting miffed with $100+ boardgames. I own several (Conan, The Others, Rising Sun - all favs), but I haven't gotten an ROI out of them yet to justify more of them (even though I'm almost about to pull the trigger on Zombicide: Invaders).

I buy just about everything on the secondary market these days. There's just too much being produced and they take up too much space. When I see high funding I know I'll be able to buy it later and usually for half the price or more. Sure I might lose out on a few exclusives but if the core game is good then it doesn't matter. If it's crap then I can usually find it for less than half just for components.
Patience. It sucks but it pays.

I have those, they are a different scale than the minis of the Kickstarter, closer to 25mm. The sculpts are a little bit cruder too, but some are charming. I really like the Baba Yaga from that set

I buy just about everything on the secondary market these days. There's just too much being produced and they take up too much space. When I see high funding I know I'll be able to buy it later and usually for half the price or more. Sure I might lose out on a few exclusives but if the core game is good then it doesn't matter. If it's crap then I can usually find it for less than half just for components.
Patience. It sucks but it pays.

It really depends. I'm a huge Hellboy fan, so I was part of the pre-launch party for the game, and got in as backer #21. It's something I want everything from, including the exclusives. But in most cases I will wait for retail or secondhand, which is why I get annoyed with "Kickstarter only" projects. I did back Rising Sun though, which was a good deal, because I got the complete game + expansions for $100, when it goes for well over $300 retail.

Last edited:
It really depends. I'm a huge Hellboy fan, so I was part of the re-launch party for the game, and got in as back #21. It's something I want everything from, including the exclusives. But in most cases I will wait for retail or secondhand, which is why I get annoyed with "Kickstarter only" projects. I did back Rising Sun though, which was a good deal, because I got the complete game + expansions for $100, when it goes for well over $300 retail.
If you absolutely want the exclusives then yeah you got to do what you gotta do.
I backed Talislanta because I absolutely want a copy and I had concerns it would have a substantial print run beyond the KS. Unfortunately that appears to be a wise choice for reasons beyond it's status as a niche rpg.

I did back Rising Sun though, which was a good deal, because I got the complete game + expansions for $100, when it goes for well over $300 retail.

Have you played it yet?

I've played it twice so far and its my new Shogun. It's got everything I want from a Samurai wargame. Lots of strategy, great flavor, cool monsters, tremendous variety of options. The clans are good. I've played the Turtles because they have moving fortresses and the Birdmen who break the movement rules. If I ever did a OSR Asian fantasy RPG, it would be based on Rising Sun's inspiration.

I backed Talislanta because I absolutely want a copy and I had concerns it would have a substantial print run beyond the KS.

You were smarter than me. I only went for the PDF because I wanted to see if it was worth the price for the hardback. Now? I wonder if we will see any Talislanta post Kickstarter.

Have you played it yet?

I've played it twice so far and its my new Shogun. It's got everything I want from a Samurai wargame. Lots of strategy, great flavor, cool monsters, tremendous variety of options. The clans are good. I've played the Turtles because they have moving fortresses and the Birdmen who break the movement rules. If I ever did a OSR Asian fantasy RPG, it would be based on Rising Sun's inspiration.

Yeah, it's a fantastic game, and I had the same thought - it would make great RPG fodder.

You were smarter than me. I only went for the PDF because I wanted to see if it was worth the price for the hardback. Now? I wonder if we will see any Talislanta post Kickstarter.
I wouldn't say smarter or luckier. I'd say you were more unlucky than me.

Next time you're in Seattle swing by and I'll show them to you.

I gotta say this is the first mini in the KS that I was disappointed with. It's a graphic design/character composition thing, but the character is always drawn with very clear vertical lines, not the swaying bending sculpt they've got here. Smaller head, more intimidating body. Here he's just a crazy drunk in a nightgown.

I gotta say this is the first mini in the KS that I was disappointed with. It's a graphic design/character composition thing, but the character is always drawn with very clear vertical lines, not the swaying bending sculpt they've got here. Smaller head, more intimidating body. Here he's just a crazy drunk in a nightgown.

well, its an alternate version at least. I personally prefer the minis were done closer to Mignola's art style, like this:

images

The Mezco action figures that emulated his style were great (I got a few looking over my shoulder right now):

mez_hbc1hb1.jpg

The Mezco action figures that emulated his style were great (I got a few looking over my shoulder right now):

mez_hbc1hb1.jpg

Yeah, I've got that big guy, as well as most of the 8" figures, they were exceptionally well done.

Kinda wish they'd kept going with that line. I wouldn't mind a Ben Daimyo (with alternate Jaguar form), Blood Queen, etc. And some of the characters I only have in their movie versions (Rasputin and Kroenen)

This has been a great campaign so far, Mantic is really putting their best foot forward.

31781914_10156185240442319_8352314053175017472_n.jpg

31530794_10156185238522319_4947234603329912832_n.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back