Forbidden Lands alpha PDF is available

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Charlie D

Man on the Silver Mountain
Reaction score
Forbidden Lands alpha PDF is now available to backers.

Forbidden Lands is slowly becoming my most anticipated RPG this year. From the hex crawling to the great system (Year Zero dice pool rules plus a variety of horses:thumbsup:) to the castle building it has everything I look for in fantasy. I can't wait to check out the alpha PDF later today.

Forbidden Lands alpha PDF is now available to backers.

Forbidden Lands is slowly becoming my most anticipated RPG this year. From the hex crawling to the great system (Year Zero dice pool rules plus a variety of horses:thumbsup:) to the castle building it has everything I look for in fantasy. I can't wait to check out the alpha PDF later today.

Those are kind of my fantasy gaming jam too but I've never even read the system (is it the same as Genesys? Does it use proprietary dice?).

Those are kind of my fantasy gaming jam too but I've never even read the system (is it the same as Genesys? Does it use proprietary dice?).

https://fria-ligan.pledgemanager.co...etro-open-world-survival-fantasy/participate/

No. Year Zero is the system (same as Mutant Year Zero, Tales from the Loop, and Coriolis). You don't need propriertary dice.

Regular six-sided dice (also called D6) are required to play Forbidden Lands, preferably 10-15 in three different colors. You will also need at least one four–sided (D4) die, one eight-sided (D8) die, one ten-sided (D10) die, and one twelve-sided (D12) die.

When you perform an action, you first describe what your player character does or says. Then you grab a number of six-sided dice equal to your skill level plus your current score in the attribute that is connected to that skill. If you have some sort of gear that may be helpful, you will get extra dice from that as well. Then you roll all the dice at once.

SIXES MEAN SUCCESS
To succeed with your action, you must roll at least one six. A six is called a success, and these are marked in the rules with a symbol of two crossed swords: x. If you roll more than one x you can perform stunts.

If you are desperate to succeed with a dice roll, you can choose to push it. This means that you grab all the dice that did not come up as a six (x) or a one (l) and roll them again. You get a new chance to roll x.

Ones can be bad for you – they can mean that you suffer damage, exhaustion, or fear, or that your weapon has been damaged. Ones have no effect on your first roll, only if you choose to push your roll (see below). A one is called a bane, and is marked with a skull symbol: l.

Last edited:
And I am very happy:

THE MAP
The map of the Forbidden Lands found in the game box is the focus of the game when you, and your fellow adventurers, are out on a journey. The map is divided into hexagons, which are used to measure distances and govern movement.
One hexagon is 10 kilometers across.

TYPES OF TERRAIN
The Forbidden Lands are divided into ten types of terrain. See the table on this page. Each hexagon on the map has a certain type of terrain that is used to determine how difficult it is to move in the hexagon as well as what kind of random encounters can be faced.

During journeys, the day is divided into four Quarters, used to measure time in the game:
✥✥ Morning
✥✥ Day
✥✥ Evening
✥✥ Night

At the start of every Quarter, each member of the group must choose what they will do during that Quarter. Some activities can be performed by several of the characters at the same time. For other activities, a single adventurer must be chosen. The various activities are explained in detail over the course of the coming pages.
✥✥ HIKE. Must be done by all members of the group if you want to move forward on the map.
✥✥ LEAD THE WAY. Can be combined with HIKE, but can only be done by one adventurer in the group.
✥✥ LOOKOUT. Can be combined with HIKE, but can only be done by one adventurer in the group.
✥✥ FORAGE. Cannot be combined with HIKE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.
✥✥ HUNT. Cannot be combined with HIKE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.
✥✥ FISH. Requires a river or a lake. Cannot be combined with HIKE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.
✥✥ MAKE CAMP. Cannot be combined with HIKE. Can only be done by one adventurer.
✥✥ REST. Cannot be combined with HIKE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.
✥✥ SLEEP. Cannot be combined with HIKE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.
✥✥ EXPLORE. Cannot be combined with HIKE. Can be done by several adventurers at the same time.

WHAT DO YOU DO?
There is no one to hold your hand and show you where to go in the Forbidden Lands. It is up to you and the other players to decide where you are going, together. The GM will let you make fantastic discoveries and face tough challenges,
but in the end the stories of the game are created by you, they are not written down beforehand. You have control over your adventurers’ lives, and in the end the fate of all of the Forbidden Lands. And there is plenty to do:

EXPLORE THE WORLD
DISCOVER ADVENTURE SITES
UNVEIL THE SECRETS OF THE LAND
SEARCH FOR THE FOUR ELVEN GEMSTONES
BUILD YOUR STRONGHOLD

It is like someone combined AD&D 1E, scouting and camping and fishing, hex crawling, and stronghold building all into a fantasy game with straight forward rules, dangerous magic, violent combat, and normal dice. Wait, someone did.

Wow, this just gets better and better.

Travel by sea works like journeys on land, but with some differences. Instead of a pathfinder, a boat has a skipper, who LEADS THE WAY (roll for SURVIVAL modified by the SAILOR talent) in each new hexagon. Failure takes you into the new hexagon anyway, but you must make a roll on the mishap table.

In the Forbidden Lands, the PCs are wanderers and vagabonds roaming a land recently freed from a curse but still quite dangerous. The PCs go where they want and explore as they wander. They can search for lost elven gemstones if they choose to get involved in something bigger than their own comfort and survival. They can also clear out a ruin and turn it into a stronghold of their own.

I was soooo tempted by the KS but wasn't sure I really needed another fantasy game.

Will the hardcopies be commercially available?

I mainly backed it for the classic fantasy flavour of the artwork, and the coffee table book presentation. Looks great so far, and I intend to port the setting into some version of BRP, although I may be tempted to run it RAW at this stage. I backed this project on a whim, and I’m glad I did :grin:

That game sounds a lot more interesting than I expected. I’ll keep an eye out for it!

I was soooo tempted by the KS but wasn't sure I really needed another fantasy game.

Will the hardcopies be commercially available?

Yes. Free League is a Swedish game company and have been selling RPGs for years and offer RPGs in both Swedish and Englis. Modiphuis also sells their English language RPGs.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back