Forbidden Lands campaign kicked off last night

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Charlie D

Man on the Silver Mountain
Reaction score
Started a Forbidden Lands campaign last night after running a successful one-shot. PCs were shipwrecked, only survivors, banded together in the wilds to survive. They are traipsing towards their first dungeon and will explore it as their second adventure. Everyone is really enjoying the wilderness rules and the rules in general are well playtested.

Are you planning to use Raven's Purge? It feels integral to the setting.

Are you planning to use Raven's Purge? It feels integral to the setting.

I am using everything. I took the seven adventures from the base game and Spire of Queztel. Set up one village and gave the legends of the other six places to each player. Raven's Purge will get filled in as they look for new places to explore.

The only thing I've found I don't like so far is waiting for the next adventure. I haven't had this much fun in a long while.

The settlements and adventures really do have an OSR feel (and Spire has OSR writers). From a ghost drinking in a village tavern that scares the goblin shite out of you to complex ancient cyclops trying to keep undead calm but having the instrument he uses to do so stolen, the game is full of amazing places and people.

The kin (dwarves etc.) are also unique. From dwarves building large stone structures for their god Huge to reach the forges in the sky to halflings, goblins, and elves formed around gemstones fallen from the sky there is a lot to learn and a lot to explore.

What are the professions of your players?

Alderlander human hunter
Alderlander human sorcerer (blood)
Aldene human minstrel
goblin rider on wolf
Iron Hound dwarf fighter
wolfkin peddler

They did well in the wilderness. Haven't fought an actual monster yet. Heading toward a dungeon full of real peril and real reward.

Last edited:
Our minstrel/former shepherd is famous for his tune, "Buff My Goat." Daran, another player, was kind enough to write the lyrics for us. Warning, they get stuck in your head.

Buff my Goat (sung to the tune of "Let it Go.")

The moon glows bright on the mountain tonight

Not a wolfkin to be seen

A wet climb on these hill-side rocks

Keep those hooves from in-between

The wind is howling from cliff side to drop side

Keep my goat upright, goddess knows I've tried

Don't let it fall, don't stop and pee

Be a good goat and climb right next to me

Enhance, don't chance, 'cuz chances blow….

Don't let them blooooow….

Buff my goat, buff my goat

Can't take a risk anymore

Til the summit's tavern door

I don't care what they're going to say

Put enchantments on

A sprain means the journey could take all day

It's funny how some goat milk makes hunger seem so small

And the folk that judge drinking from goat teat can't see me suck at all

Another trick that I can do,

Clone me a goat cheese wheel or two,

No right, no wrong, maybe spawn three

We're free

Nutrition value's high

Upgrade to larger die….

By goat I stand and by goat I stay

Put enchantments on

A goat with some witchcraft lactates all day

And the Goblin Rider secures two extra points for style!

There is a contrast in the kingdom once called Ravenland. You have three religions fighting for control. Human sacrifice. Curses. Demon trafficking. Slavery. Eating of sapients.

And yet, a former shepherd becomes famous for Buff My Goat. Villagers in a haunted village amuse themselves by having newcomers talk to the ghost at the bar and get the shite scared out of them. A pack of wolves is befriended and conflict avoided. People laugh and live lives despite the violence and desperation.

What a horrible, monstrous, wondrous amazing place the Forbidden Lands are.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back