Forgotten RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Machineguns & Magic seems like a concept ripe for more exploration - I could see modern military dungeoncrawling going over well, especially in the wake of videogames like Doom

Avoiding combat was a big reason your game lasted 12 sessions. Speaking from experience :smile:

I'd say its similar to Rolemaster in that regard. If you have a GM that is inexperienced with the system (or inexperienced in general), the combat is going to slog. However, having experience in Rolemaster in organization of some potentially slowing references and how to categorize them, ours didn't experience that drawback.

I'd say its similar to Rolemaster in that regard. If you have a GM that is inexperienced with the system (or inexperienced in general), the combat is going to slog. However, having experience in Rolemaster in organization of some potentially slowing references and how to categorize them, ours didn't experience that drawback.

I see your point, but to clarify my post was about the deadliness of combat not the complexity
:smile:

Combat was a little clunky, but even more importantly (at least in my limited Millenium’s End experience) it was very deadly.

I don't think I saw these listed here. The books of the Everlasting...Book of the Unliving, Book of the Light, Book of the Fantastical, and Book of the Spirits. There was also a smaller Magician supplement. Failed trying to compete with WoD, but I actually preferred this to WoD.

Still love this cover.

View attachment 22868
I picked up the PDF of the Book of Light hoping to run an American Gods type game. I will say so far it takes itself very seriously for an RPG, but I guess it was just the 1990s.

Combat was a little clunky, but even more importantly (at least in my limited Millenium’s End experience) it was very deadly.

Oh yes, very much so. It made the PCs always look for advantage and always try to de-escalate in any case that they didn't have it. Which in all honesty, is pretty realistic for most people.

I picked up the PDF of the Book of Light hoping to run an American Gods type game. I will say so far it takes itself very seriously for an RPG, but I guess it was just the 1990s.

The game did overdo it on that scale. Trying to make the game a ritualistic experience. But hey, it was a nice alternative to WoD.

Oh yes, very much so. It made the PCs always look for advantage and always try to de-escalate in any case that they didn't have it. Which in all honesty, is pretty realistic for most people.

I remember an early session if Milleniums End where one PC kicks in a door to find two bad guys waiting, each with SMGs. PC takes a burst from each guy, accurate hits from each and that was the end of that PC.

The game did overdo it on that scale. Trying to make the game a ritualistic experience. But hey, it was a nice alternative to WoD.
I notice the character creation is VERY similar to the original White Wolf WoD games (plus it has similar die pools) and so I checked and the lead on Everlasting, Steve Brown, co-wrote a few of the Vampire:the Masquerade and Mage books (Players/Storytellers Guide to the Sabbat and Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand).

Last edited:
I remember an early session if Milleniums End where one PC kicks in a door to find two bad guys waiting, each with SMGs. PC takes a burst from each guy, accurate hits from each and that was the end of that PC.
I wanted to run a game where everyone didn't know it but were monsters--of sorts, in Millennium's end, it just called for something other than private military company stuff to me (since I was already worried about that kind of thing in the real world.) Like someone with REALLY high endurance because they're a creation of Frankenstein. I guess it was Creature Commando's that stuck with me..

The Realm of the Gateway and Monsters & Slayers have the kinds of covers that would have made me curious enough to possibly pick them up. But if you hadn't typed out "Monsters & Slayers" I wouldn't have any idea what that garbled mess is on the top of the cover.

I want Monsters and Slayers, but I don't trust E-Bay (Long story)

The link I provided is the author, which is where I got it from. So, it's not like an unknown seller.
When I said, E-Bay, I meant E-Bay not the sellers. Most have been pretty cool, but the service? Not so much.

I think of this set, the only one I'd ever heard of before is Super Squadron.

I actually played Heroes and Heroines. My character was the Titane Mammoth. He was completely invulnerable and could turn his left hand into an 2 ton weight of pure titanium.

I owned RandomAnime years ago. I kept waiting for the mecha book to become a reality. I think the owners ran out of money before they got to that point, though.

The only thing I recall about it was that it used the idea of a sports anime as it's sample campaign and for it's sample characters.

I seem to recall I liked it more than Cartoon Action Hour 1e, but far less than BESM (any edition). But I certainly couldn't tell you why I felt that way all these years later.

I was thinking about seeing if I could find another copy of the book for cheap. I had actually donated my copy to Goodwill because absolutely no one wanted it. I learned later that the local Goodwill automatically destroys any RPG books they receive, and if I had known that I probably would have kept it. But anyway, I was rather surprised to see the only listings for it on ebay up in the $150 range. I have no idea if it actually ever SELLS for that amount. I'd guess not, but it isn't exactly a common game.

I actually played Heroes and Heroines. My character was the Titane Mammoth. He was completely invulnerable and could turn his left hand into an 2 ton weight of pure titanium.
"Give me a handshake...yes, with the left hand, haven't you read the Bible?"

Enforcers was a strange game. But it came during a strange time in my RPGs, and I actually tried to play it with a friend. Then I tried to fix it. Then I gave up.

I didn't even try, I went "NOOOPE" after reading it, and honestly, its the only game I ditched, LITERALLY, as opposed to pass on; if you understood how much I love books, that's a condemnation of its complete uselessness.

I used to own Gamma Trollworld and Superheroes: Power Trip. Both were Tunnels & Trolls style games. Both were pirated Shipman specials. Both were absolute crap.

I used to own Tunnels & Trolls: The Mythical 6th Edition. It was another pirated Shipman special. I threw it away. But honestly, I wish I had kept it. I liked that one.

The "Mythical 6th" was the first edition (even though it's not an official edition) to feature a separate stat for magic (Power, which would be called Wizardry in subsequent, official editions of T&T). Was this the first version to use it? Or was this something that had been percolating in official T&T circles, and Shipman stole it, like he steals everything else?

Machineguns & Magic seems like a concept ripe for more exploration - I could see modern military dungeoncrawling going over well, especially in the wake of videogames like Doom

Back in the day in the a review of one of the Everlasting books (Book of the Fantastical, maybe?) had a section on normal humans gearing up and going into alternate realms to dungeon crawl. I never tracked down a copy to see how good it was, though.

I have a very complex history with Danger Quest.

It was the first RPG I ever pre-ordered (long before crowdfunding websites were a thing). In fact, maybe the first product I ever purchased online, as opposed to in a retail store.

I wrote a very extensive review, my first ever review of an RPG. And it was not kind. Unfortunately it was on my very first Webpage (Alta-Vista baby!) , long since swallowed up by the internet, the same with the reproduction of it on my MySpace page...

The system may seem fine until you take a closer look at the numbers. It's essentially unplayable as written.

Something about Star Riders, it's not just compatible with TFOS. It's a reskin. As in the text is mostly the same, with just the teenage high school stuff traded out for the premise of Star Riders. I think it even uses the exact same jokes.

I've never heard of Danger Quest before now. The cover looks cool.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back