Forgotten RPGs

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Machineguns & Magic seems like a concept ripe for more exploration - I could see modern military dungeoncrawling going over well, especially in the wake of videogames like Doom

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Avoiding combat was a big reason your game lasted 12 sessions. Speaking from experience :smile:
I'd say its similar to Rolemaster in that regard. If you have a GM that is inexperienced with the system (or inexperienced in general), the combat is going to slog. However, having experience in Rolemaster in organization of some potentially slowing references and how to categorize them, ours didn't experience that drawback.

Bourbonjack

Treasure Type V & Y
Reaction score
I'd say its similar to Rolemaster in that regard. If you have a GM that is inexperienced with the system (or inexperienced in general), the combat is going to slog. However, having experience in Rolemaster in organization of some potentially slowing references and how to categorize them, ours didn't experience that drawback.
I see your point, but to clarify my post was about the deadliness of combat not the complexity
:smile:

Combat was a little clunky, but even more importantly (at least in my limited Millenium’s End experience) it was very deadly.

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
I don't think I saw these listed here. The books of the Everlasting...Book of the Unliving, Book of the Light, Book of the Fantastical, and Book of the Spirits. There was also a smaller Magician supplement. Failed trying to compete with WoD, but I actually preferred this to WoD.

Still love this cover.

View attachment 22868
I picked up the PDF of the Book of Light hoping to run an American Gods type game. I will say so far it takes itself very seriously for an RPG, but I guess it was just the 1990s.

chuckdee

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Combat was a little clunky, but even more importantly (at least in my limited Millenium’s End experience) it was very deadly.
Oh yes, very much so. It made the PCs always look for advantage and always try to de-escalate in any case that they didn't have it. Which in all honesty, is pretty realistic for most people.

Imaginos

Reaction score
I picked up the PDF of the Book of Light hoping to run an American Gods type game. I will say so far it takes itself very seriously for an RPG, but I guess it was just the 1990s.
The game did overdo it on that scale. Trying to make the game a ritualistic experience. But hey, it was a nice alternative to WoD.

Bourbonjack

Treasure Type V & Y
Reaction score
Oh yes, very much so. It made the PCs always look for advantage and always try to de-escalate in any case that they didn't have it. Which in all honesty, is pretty realistic for most people.
I remember an early session if Milleniums End where one PC kicks in a door to find two bad guys waiting, each with SMGs. PC takes a burst from each guy, accurate hits from each and that was the end of that PC.

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
The game did overdo it on that scale. Trying to make the game a ritualistic experience. But hey, it was a nice alternative to WoD.
I notice the character creation is VERY similar to the original White Wolf WoD games (plus it has similar die pools) and so I checked and the lead on Everlasting, Steve Brown, co-wrote a few of the Vampire:the Masquerade and Mage books (Players/Storytellers Guide to the Sabbat and Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand).

Last edited: