Forgotten RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That's a fairly recent change. Until the last year or two it was out of print entirely. It's status in the whole WotC saga sure helps it from being completely forgotten.

This title was added to our catalog on November 26, 2013.

Not that recent. And I guess it never disappeared from my radar in any case, which was why it never even struck me that there was a lapse between; I have fond memories of using it for a GURPS Deities campaign.

Not that recent. And I guess it never disappeared from my radar in any case, which was why it never even struck me that there was a lapse between; I have fond memories of using it for a GURPS Deities campaign.
Huh. I swear I looked for it there and it was not there. Ok. I mean I know it has its fans (myself included). It's hard to argue either way for me. If your experience is it's better remembered I can't really disagree.

Huh. I swear I looked for it there and it was not there. Ok. I mean I know it has its fans (myself included). It's hard to argue either way for me. If your experience is it's better remembered I can't really disagree.

There was a lapse of course, when Wizards didn't believe in PDFs. Which was why I was overjoyed when I saw it on DTRPG. I have my books, but as books get old (especially ones you reference all the time), having digital versions is a good thing.

brettmb brettmb Any chance that you'd ever be able to get a hold of Wizard's Realm? That one always looked cool.
Unfortunately, I tried contacting a few of the people involved but failed to get a response or locate them.

Last edited:
To add a few precisions to what was said above, Psi powers (=magic, really, you have a teleportation power, take that Xavier!) have three tiers, becoming more powerful as you gain skill points in them (success is not automatic). You're only out of ammo when you roll a 1 on your attack die.

Chargen is a bit fiddly/Gurps-like but very easy to adapt to your taste and allows for very varied characters (want to create Rogue Trooper, Hammerstein or Nemesis ? The game has you covered).

Another game I don't think I've seen above:

4162.jpg

You're an anthropmorphic animal, slave of the corporation that created you. Sent to explore/pacify distant worlds, each successful mission allows you to buy back your way to freedom from your corporate masters. I think there was a "recent" german edition but don't quote me on that.

If I remember correctly, the system is percentile based and quite simple.

I remember this one. We basically played it as "TMNT in SPACE!". Which was probably reasonably accurate.

I don't know. There was Fifth Cycle that shared some ideas from Dragon Quest. I looked at doing a "lite" version of The Arcane Confabulation with an attempt to give it a more Dragon Quest like appearance.

Was delayed on my next Forgotten Games article due to pressing web site upgrades, but a new one should be ready next week some time. I think you'll find most of those items to be interesting to say the least.

If there's a more forgotten RPG than Street Fighter: the Storytelling Game, I've forgotten it myself. This game is AMAZING, and if it hadn't been cancelled right before the official Street Fighter canon blossomed-- if it had held out even three more years-- I honestly believe it would still be in print today. Hard to believe it's been a whole decade since I've run it.

1611561965262.png

If there's a more forgotten RPG than Street Fighter: the Storytelling Game, I've forgotten it myself. This game is AMAZING, and if it hadn't been cancelled right before the official Street Fighter canon blossomed-- if it had held out even three more years-- I honestly believe it would still be in print today. Hard to believe it's been a whole decade since I've run it.

View attachment 25982

I had that one for almost two decades. I'm not sure if I ever ran it. I remember forcing a couple of members of my crew to make up characters. I printed up action cards and cut them out, but I don't think any of them ever got filled out except for one sample character I made up (based on Blaze Fielding from Streets of Rage).

I wasn't a fan of the Street Fighter background at the time. I was a Mortal Kombat guy when the game was new.

My completely unplayed impression was that the system was not good for anything but one on one combats. I quickly wanted to use it for something more like a RPG adaption of a scrolling brawler like Streets of Rage or Final Fight. What's the point of being a badass if all you fight are bosses, and don't get to plow through some mooks every once in a while?

The game was allegedly in high demand, but when I was offloading everything during my purge about a decade ago, no one wanted it. I tried to give it away for free, but no takers. Because of the age of the book and the character sheet falling out of the back (from opening up the book and xeroxing it), no used book store would take it. So, I dropped it off along with multiple other boxes at Goodwill, unaware that the local branches simply tossed RPG materials in the dumpster.

Thinking back, this is one of those that I wish I had played and gotten some use out of, but I don't miss it. I didn't even recall I had owned it until the quoted post brought it up. Sometimes being reminded of something like this makes me want to hit ebay for a replacement copy, but not in this case.

I know I sound like I'm knocking it, but I'm not. I always wished I could get into the game, but I simply never could. Most people who say they got some mileage out of it seem to have had a good time with it. It does come up time and time again as one of the most enjoyable things White Wolf created. I feel like I missed out.

I don't think it's really forgotten though - we talk about it all the time here on The Pub. I don't think it's been more than two weeks since the last time it was brought up

Yeah, Street Fighter has a small but still dedicated fanbase. The fan-created 20th Anniversary Edition, the G-File fan supplement and the SF Circuit Guide supplement, a nice adventure, and ~30 fan-zines translated over from the Brazilian fandom of the game, etc. means there are things to be found, and is pretty decent fan-support for a game that's been dead for 26 years. It still catches a decent amount of WoD fans by surprise that had never heard of it, though, so it's definitely unknown/forgotten in some quarters.

I don't think it's really forgotten though - we talk about it all the time here on The Pub. I don't think it's been more than two weeks since the last time it was brought up
And deservedly so - it's by far the best product White Wolf ever made.

Part 10 in my new Forgotten Games series on my blog.
The Mechanoid Invasion was my introduction to Palladium Games. It was awesome. You had no chance against the Mechanoids. Homeworld the third book in the line was even better. It expanded the universe and added some cool playable races. I still have two copies of each book because they're so fragile I wanted to make sure I'd have one.

Part 10 in my new Forgotten Games series on my blog.
I'm not sure I still have my copy of Mars. I bought it in my "I need more ideas for Traveller" days but I'm not sure I ever actually used any of it.

Mechanoid Invasion on the other hand, wow, yea, that was a cool little game for a few bucks and it's still on my shelves (along with MI II and MI III).

The Mechanoid Invasion was my introduction to Palladium Games. It was awesome. You had no chance against the Mechanoids. Homeworld the third book in the line was even better. It expanded the universe and added some cool playable races. I still have two copies of each book because they're so fragile I wanted to make sure I'd have one.

Totally agree. After that one, TMNT, and Advanced Recon, I never knew why anyone would have a bad opinion of Palladium. It took a while for that shine to wear off.

Just when you thought C'thulhu and Azatoth were as scary as it gets, the Mechanoids show up and start strip mining your sun. They're telepathic cyborgs with all the rage of a high school bullying victim and the only reason you're still alive is so they can twist the knife a little first. You've got a simple blaster - 14 and half a dozen fusion blocks. GO!

It's funny reading your reviews though Brett, it's like I'm designing exactly the kind of games you don't like :grin: Percentiles, lots of stats and skills.

Last edited:
a7vrqs5V.jpg

I think that some of the ones I will post have been mentioned, but I wanted to post up images in the thread for them. This one was a battlesuit one- it came in a ring-bound notebook, and was laid out pretty well- though the artwork was all over the place in quality. I made up a few characters for it- it was a bit fiddly to my remembrance, but not overly so. We never got it to the table- there were a few out at the same time and we played Battlelords of the 23rd Century instead.

Last edited:
I had Interstellar Elite Combat and a supplement for it, but I got rid of it years ago.

I had Interstellar Elite Combat and a supplement for it, but I got rid of it years ago.
That was another one I had, I don't think I ever got any supplements, just the original. I don't know if I even read it...

yFZtFfDn.jpg

I'm not even sure if this one would be considered an RPG, though we did bolt one on, and the supplement made overtures in that way, adding the Justice system and a background of what you might have done before the games. We loved playing this one as most of our role-playing was geared towards the combat in any case at that age, we weren't really missing anything.

I always thought White Wolf's 'Adventure!' deserved to get more recognition.
It only had the core book, but it was quite good.

images (11).jpeg

Attachments

• images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for doing this Brett! I love these posts, and it makes me buy your stuff lol.

I wish you’d say more about the settings, because I care more about those than rules, but you ain’t gotta change a thing about how you do your posts. I love them.

Thanks for doing this Brett! I love these posts, and it makes me buy your stuff lol.

I wish you’d say more about the settings, because I care more about those than rules, but you ain’t gotta change a thing about how you do your posts. I love them.
I'm not really into most of the settings, so I just skip that part. Thanks.

I'm not really into most of the settings, so I just skip that part. Thanks.

That’s what I figured: we were opposites on that. But that’s fine, I’m happy with the posts as is. So far, I’ve been able to get details on settings through
Google and whatnot.

I always thought White Wolf's 'Adventure!' deserved to get more recognition.
It only had the core book, but it was quite good.

View attachment 26248

Not quite sure that's forgotten either. In fact, they've been talking about another edition in the Aeon stuff that they're doing now. Just as Adventure was the last one they released, it will be the last one of this series I think.

ZL5diZG5.jpg

Alternative Armies was always considered more of a miniature games imprint, but they released a couple of forays deeper into the world that one of the miniatures battles rules (Flintloque) was set in. This was one of those. It was supposed to be followed up with Empire, and I really wanted that to happen, but it never did that I know of.

I think this one is definately a forgotten rpg...(and perhaps it should remain forgotten!) :grin:

images (12).jpeg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back