Forgotten SF/Fantasy/Supernatural Shows of the 90s & OOs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Was that the show about cleavage that had some sort of pie maker subplot?
Never really thought of Anna Friel as a 'cleavage' sort of actress--she's no Niecy Nash--but yeah, it's the pie maker show.

I think Kindred: The Embraced definitely fits this thread. It was loosely based on Vampire: The Masquerade, and only had 8 episodes for one season. It was quite the soap-opera with vampires, but I really liked it.
The creators of the show was unsure about making a season 2. Mark Frankel's, the actor who played Julian Luna, tragic death in a motorcycle accident however made them decide not to.

I only saw Season 1, but I liked The Collector. Its on Plex, so I probably should check it out again. Here's the pitch "Morgan Pym made a deal with Satan: his soul, in exchange for 10 years with his one true love. After she died, Morgan-- to avoid eternity in hell--agreed to become a Collector, charged with collecting souls."

IIRC, Erica Durance had some appearances before she ended up on Smallville

There was a sequel to Primeval set in Canada that lasted one season

First Wave, one of many alien invasion shows. Roger Cross was in it, and I love that guy!

Threshold, yet another alien invasion show. Brent Spiner and Carla Gugino were in this one.

ReGenesis was awesome! A lot of genetically modified stuff going on here with diseases, etc. Peter Outerbridge is just awesome as the lead. Much better than Burning Zone was (which I think actually came out after ReGenesis did)

Journeyman, a one season show where the lead time travels randomly

Moonlight, a Forever Knight wannabe. Actually not bad, and the lead went on to star in the Hawaii Five-0 remake.

Blood Ties, a show that wished it could be a Forever Knight wannabe.

Tru Calling and Dollhouse, two attempts to make a sci-show around Eliza Dushku

Before he was on Game of Thrones, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau starred in New Amsterdam. He played a man cursed with immortality by indigenous people back before New York was fully colonized. Some cool flashback stuff. He's also a cop like Nick Knight was. What's with immortals turning to law enforcement?

The Listener, about an EMT who discovers he's a telepath. The show was actually set in the same world as the police drama Flashpoint, as the lead's partner knew one of the members of the unit from that show (who appears in one episode)

Jake 2.0 - NSA Analyst gets infected with nanobots, becomes a literal super spy

The Sentinel - Richard Burgi plays a copy whose senses are enhanced to superhuman levels. That one lasted awhile (65 episodes is actually pretty good for back then)

Terra Nova - Earth is dying, so humans go back in time and set up a colony to try and give our world a second chance.

VR.5 - revolving around Virtual Reality. Featured a pre-Giles Anthony Head

Strange World - Another show involving unethical scientific experimentation

Level 9 - about a secret task force investigating cyber crime. I remember some of the tech was ahead of what was in actual use at the time, giving it a slight sci-fi edge.

Painkiller Jane - Inspired by the comic of the same name (though not much like it from what I understand)

Survivors - A BBC remake of an older series. Post-Apocalyptic series centered around survivors of a plague that wipes out most of humanity

Charlie Jade - The title character is a private eye who ends up travelling to a parallel universe connected to his (as well as a third one that exists)

Mann and Machine - long before she became Witchblade, Yancy Butler was a sexy android cop is this short live tv show

Paradox - short lived BBC series about a scientist getting messages from the future

Eleventh Hour - Patrick Stewart starred in this mini-series, where he investigates unethical science experiments. Two years later, Rufus Sewell would star in an American remake

Flashforward - About a special task force in the FBI investigates after every person on Earth simultaneously blacks out and awakens with a short vision of their future.

Alcatraz - in 1963, guards and prisoners at Alcatraz disappear. They start appearing in the modern day, and a special task force is created to bring them in

Harsh Realm - Another VR set series, by Chris Carter of X-Files fame

The Chronicle - Reporter goes to work for Tabloid, and learns aliens, etc, are all real

Not sure if Jessica Alba's Dark Angel is forgotten or obscure

I know there are others not mentioned in this thread I'm forgetting, but that's still a pretty good sized list of shows I had seen.

Two I didn't see but wanted to was Surface and The Event.

Also, honorable mentions to both Lost Girl and Continuum, which came later in the 2010's, and aren't really forgotten/Obscure as of yet imho.

Last edited:
I only saw Season 1, but I liked The Collector. Its on Plex, so I probably should check it out again. Here's the pitch "Morgan Pym made a deal with Satan: his soul, in exchange for 10 years with his one true love. After she died, Morgan-- to avoid eternity in hell--agreed to become a Collector, charged with collecting souls."

IIRC, Erica Durance had some appearances before she ended up on Smallville

There was a sequel to Primeval set in Canada that lasted one season

First Wave, one of many alien invasion shows. Roger Cross was in it, and I love that guy!

Threshold, yet another alien invasion show. Brent Spiner and Carla Gugino were in this one.

ReGenesis was awesome! A lot of genetically modified stuff going on here with diseases, etc. Peter Outerbridge is just awesome as the lead. Much better than Burning Zone was (which I think actually came out after ReGenesis did)

Journeyman, a one season show where the lead time travels randomly

Moonlight, a Forever Knight wannabe. Actually not bad, and the lead went on to star in the Hawaii Five-0 remake.

Tru Calling and Dollhouse, two attempts to make a sci-show around Eliza Dushku

Before he was on Game of Thrones, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau starred in New Amsterdam. He played a man cursed with immortality by indigenous people back before New York was fully colonized. Some cool flashback stuff. He's also a cop like Nick Knight was. What's with immortals turning to law enforcement?

The Listener, about an EMT who discovers he's a telepath. The show was actually set in the same world as the police drama Flashpoint, as the lead's partner knew one of the members of the unit from that show (who appears in one episode)

Jake 2.0 - NSA Analyst gets infected with nanobots, becomes a literal super spy

The Sentinel - Richard Burgi plays a copy whose senses are enhanced to superhuman levels. That one lasted awhile (65 episodes is actually pretty good for back then)

Terra Nova - Earth is dying, so humans go back in time and set up a colony to try and give our world a second chance.

Strange World - Another show involving unethical scientific experimentation

Level 9 - about a secret task force investigating cyber crime. I remember some of the tech was ahead of what was in actual use at the time, giving it a slight sci-fi edge.

Painkiller Jane - Inspired by the comic of the same name (though not much like it from what I understand)

Survivors - A BBC remake of an older series. Post-Apocalyptic series centered around survivors of a plague that wipes out most of humanity

Charlie Jade - The title character is a private eye who ends up travelling to a parallel universe connected to his (as well as a third one that exists)

Mann and Machine - long before she became Witchblade, Yancy Butler was a sexy android cop is this short live tv show

Paradox - short lived BBC series about a scientist getting messages from the future

Eleventh Hour - Patrick Stewart starred in this mini-series, where he investigates unethical science experiments. Two years later, Rufus Sewell would star in an American remake

Flashforward - About a special task force in the FBI investigates after every person on Earth simultaneously blacks out and awakens with a short vision of their future.

Alcatraz - in 1963, guards and prisoners at Alcatraz disappear. They start appearing in the modern day, and a special task force is created to bring them in

Harsh Realm - Another VR set series, by Chris Carter of X-Files fame

The Chronicle - Reporter goes to work for Tabloid, and learns aliens, etc, are all real

Not sure if Jessica Alba's Dark Angel is forgotten or obscure

I know there are others not mentioned in this thread I'm forgetting, but that's still a pretty good sized list of shows I had seen.

Also, honorable mentions to both Lost Girl and Continuum, which came later in the 2010's, and aren't really forgotten/Obscure as of yet imho.

Dollhouse was really good. It was fun when it was doing the old 'mission a week' episodes and as the arc was introduced it got even better.

The early cancellation made them take a big chance and timejump the story into the far future which was a very interesting and imaginative way to wrap it up. Cut out all the filler.

I actually like it better than Buffy as I prefer shorter seasons for shows, very few manage to retain their quality after the third or fourth season.

Dollhouse was really good. It was fun when it was doing the old 'mission a week' episodes and as the arc was introduced it got even better.

The early cancellation made them take a big chance and timejump the story into the far future which was a very interesting and imaginative way to wrap it up. Cut out all the filler.

I actually like it better than Buffy as I prefer shorter seasons for shows, very few manage to retain their quality after the third or fourth season.
I really liked Dollhouse. I was bummed when it got cancelled. Most of the short lived shows I listed in my previous post had promise. I have a habit liking shows that end up getting cancelled in short order.

Threshold, yet another alien invasion show. Brent Spiner and Carla Gugino were in this one...

Jake 2.0 - NSA Analyst gets infected with nanobots, becomes a literal super spy...

Strange World - Another show involving unethical scientific experimentation...

Flashforward - About a special task force in the FBI investigates after every person on Earth simultaneously blacks out and awakens with a short vision of their future...

Harsh Realm - Another VR set series, by Chris Carter of X-Files fame...

First of all, you win the thread! An outstanding list--I've clipped it down to just those I have some memory of (as opposed to others you listed that I didn't see). Thanks for reminding me of Terra Nova--I think I had it mixed up in my head with Primeval somehow.

I did watch The Event, notable mainly for its cast: Blair Underwood as the president, the inescapable Zeljko Ivanek as some sort of bureaucrat, Jason Ritter as the plucky teen, and Laura Innes as the alien leader.

First of all, you win the thread! An outstanding list--I've clipped it down to just those I have some memory of (as opposed to others you listed that I didn't see). Thanks for reminding me of Terra Nova--I think I had it mixed up in my head with Primeval somehow.

I did watch The Event, notable mainly for its cast: Blair Underwood as the president, the inescapable Zeljko Ivanek as some sort of bureaucrat, Jason Ritter as the plucky teen, and Laura Innes as the alien leader.
Thanks. I will note that I saw every show too. Some just a few episodes, but I had seen them all at some point.

I still want to see The Event, and maybe some day I will.

Edit: I noticed you haven't seen ReGenesis. I highly recommend it. Gave me some sick ideas for rpgs in the past

Last edited:
Does V count as forgotten? The 80s mini-series was quite major at the time, at least as I remember, but seems to have vanished from pop culture memory.

Allowing for later and also not live-action, the Men In Black cartoon was pretty good!
Even more forgotten, I think, is the 2009-11 reboot of V that aired on ABC. About the only thing I recall about it is that it featured Morena Baccarin as the lizard queen. For a while, it seemed like she was in every genre show.

Edit: I noticed you haven't seen ReGenesis. I highly recommend it. Gave me some sick ideas for rpgs in the past
I'll have to look for it. Some Canadian shows are easy to get access to here in the States, but others not so much.

Another genre-adjacent show that I watched back in the day was Early Edition, about a man in Chicago who miraculously gets the paper a day early and then has to decide what to do with the news. It ran on CBS between 1996 and 2000 and starred Kyle Chandler, Fisher Stevens, and Shanesia Davis.

I'm not sure if The 4400 (2004-8) counts as obscure or not; I guess there was an attempt to reboot it recently.

I might also mention Jericho, starring Skeet Ulrich, though really an ensemble show about a small town after a limited-scale nuclear exchange has ended the U.S. as we know it. In theory set in Northwest Kansas, but the landscape surely wasn't. It aired between 2006 and 2008.

Last edited:
Wild Palms was (as I dimly recall) a terrific, surreal near future cyberpunk sf limited tv series from 93' with a terrific cast and respected film directors like Kathryn Bigelow and Keith Gordon before that was a regular thing.

It was written by the cult writer Bruce Wagner. He also wrote the bizarre Map to the Stars which was a famous script that bounced around since the 70s apparently, until Cronenberg finally filmed it.

It has completely disappeared, only available on YT right now.

Really a shame, because the books this is based on are rather well done.
I'm deeply amused that the vampire writes "bodice-ripper" romance fiction from the time he was alive.

Wild Palms was (as I dimly recall) a terrific, surreal near future cyberpunk sf limited tv series from 93' with a terrific cast and respected film directors like Kathryn Bigelow and Keith Gordon before that was a regular thing.

It was written by the cult writer Bruce Wagner. He also wrote the bizarre Map to the Stars which was a famous script that bounced around since the 70s apparently, until Cronenberg finally filmed it.

It has completely disappeared, only available on YT right now.
Yeah, there are a few scenes from Wild Palms that I remember distinctly, despite having seen it only once thirty-odd years ago.

The Lost Room (2006) was another mini-series I enjoyed, though I don't know if it counts as obscure or forgotten.

Ditto for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which featured Lena Headey before AGOT and got a season or two c. 2008.

Here's a few that I remember vaguely from the 90s and 2000s

* I have a vague recollection of Jonathan La Paglia being shot into space in a huge golf ball and travelling through time?
7 Days. Jon, as a side effect of being a former PoW torture victim has the strength of will to be able to pilot the sphere time machine that was an alien ship that crashed on the earth. but he could only travel back 7 days. he had a whole "will they won't they" thing with the hot russian doctor.

It got a DVD release, but the people who made it had lost all the rights to any music that appeared in the series as aired, so they had to change even the opening theme as well as using something other than taTu's "All The Things She Said" for the final fight between Barbara and Harley. Anyway, Amazon Prime has it, as well as the DVD for much less.
the original DVD release also had a making of thing about how the show failed that was entitled "how a show about 3 attractive women in tight leather outfits can't get ratings"

Earth 2, which likewise got only one season, though of 22 episodes, in 1994-95. In a future where the Earth is devastated wasteland and people live in space habitats, the plucky Debrah Farentino leads a group of implausibly-pretty people (including Antonio Sabato, Jr. and Rebecca Gayheart) to colonize another world. She also has personal motives--her son is dying and she hopes that the new environment will cure him (I think; my memory is hazy). Again, there were some good character actors on board, like Clancy Brown (who really gets around) and Terry O'Quinn. Tim Curry also appeared in several episodes as the villain, IIRC.

I really enjoyed Earth 2 and was disappointed when it didn't get a second season.

The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne is another show that got only 1 season, in 2000. I think I saw an episode or two in syndication. It was a steampunkish show about the adventures of a young Verne and his friends the Foggs. It had a pretty good cast, if IMDB is to be trusted, with some genre stalwarts: Rene Auberjonois, John Rhys-Davies (as Alexandre Dumas), David Warner, etc. in smaller roles. Michael Praed (Robin of Loxley) played Fogg.

Fringe, The Lost Room, Ultraviolet, Jericho, American Gothic, Space Above and Beyond.

IMO, if it got an RPG made, it wasn't forgotten.

Sliders similarly should have gotten more but it wasn't forgotten.

Anyone remember SURFACE (with Lake Bell?) or THRESHOLD (with Carla Gugino)?

And I know none of you have seen the sizzler for The 23rd Letter. ;) Ended up not getting to the pilot...

Oh, I forgot this one entirely. SEA OF SOULS

Impossible to track down.

I miss those Saturday midmorning into early afternoon serial reruns. Xena, Hercules, Sinbad, Conan, Beastmaster, Relic Hunter. Just good cheap fun.

I loved the premise of Relic Hunter, and I had a huge crush on Tia Carrere at the time, but sadly tended to find the actual episodes just... kinda boring.

Life on Mars was a good one.
I have no feeling at all for whether shows like Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes, Being Human, Torchwood, etc. are now forgotten in the U.K.

Now, the American remake of Life on Mars, that's pretty clearly vanished into the ether (with little loss).

I'll have to look for it. Some Canadian shows are easy to get access to here in the States, but others not so much.
Thankfully all 4 seasons are on Pluto, Freeve, Tubi and the Roku Channel. The CW has seasons 3-4 only

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., which also got only one season (1993-94) is another show I remember enjoying. It was a kind of Western/Steampunk mashup which also involved time travel. A young Bruce Campbell played the title role.
Which reminds me of a similar show UPN did: Legend, starring a post-MacGyver Richard Dean Anderson, and John DeLancie. I only saw an episode or two of the 12, but I remember they had some kind of electric guns and a dirigible they flew around in

Anyone remember SURFACE (with Lake Bell?) or THRESHOLD (with Carla Gugino)?

And I know none of you have seen the sizzler for The 23rd Letter. ;) Ended up not getting to the pilot...

I mentioned Threshold in my lengthy post, as well as mentioning I wanted to see Surface

Which reminds me of a similar show UPN did: Legend, starring a post-MacGyver Richard Dean Anderson, and John DeLancie. I only saw an episode or two of the 12, but I remember they had some kind of electric guns and a dirigible they flew around in

The tagline for this show should have been: "MacGyver & Q team up and go on adventures in the Wild West"

Not sure how I missed this one. Definitely right up my alley.

I miss those Saturday midmorning into early afternoon serial reruns. Xena, Hercules, Sinbad, Conan, Beastmaster, Relic Hunter. Just good cheap fun.

At the library today, an elderly gentleman called in to ask for help identifying a TV show. What he recalled about it was vague, rambly, and not entirely accurate, but I eventually was able to piece together that he was talking about Relic Hunter.

Best part of the exchange was when I asked him, "what is the time period in which the show is set?" and he said "It used to be at 1 AM on channel 32."

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back