Fragged Empire - My First Impressions

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Harl Quinn

Veteran of the Clone Wars
Reaction score
So after talking with one of the employees at one of my FLGS (Omaha has several), I decided to bite the bullet and run a game he recommended - Fragged Empire. Downloading the quick-start rules and later getting the PDF of the core book, I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about the system, especially now that I've run it once.

Please keep in mind, the game was run with a minimum of knowledge of the rules and setting. Work hasn't been conducive to learning the game either during my downtime at home or what little downtime I have at work on the graveyard shift. The system is fairly straightforward, roll 3d6 +/- skill rating +/- a descriptive bonus (or penalty) to beat a task number. However, the writing and organization is a bit dodgy. Things are not readily explained in some cases or are scattered throughout the rulebook. While the organization issue is easily overcome in the PDF with hyperlinks, you can't hyperlink a printed book (which I picked up today before running the game).

m

Combat in Fragged Empire is a sticky wicket for me, however. The game has two combat systems, the first presented is a tactical, miniatures-based system which reminds me of D&D 3.5's dependence upon battle maps and minis. The second is an abstract "theater of the mind" system which differs greatly from the tactical system. Boiled down, the abstract system requires the PCs to make two successful attack rolls per PC in the group to be victorious.

The problem I have is that the two systems seem so disparate. While I'm not fan of the tactical system's professed dependence upon minis, I could see it easily being used with adequate description of the scene between the GM and players. I'm still sorting out how the two systems handle damage differently; the abstract system applies damage to character attributes ala Traveller, while the tactical system seems to apply damage to Endurance.

The adventure we ran through was "The Ghost Ship Carthage"; while the concept for the adventure was pretty solid, there were elements that were either underdeveloped (the fate of the Kaltoran pre-gen's family) or confusing due to poor writing/bad editing (the constant switching of the Archon's gender). To make matters a bit worse, the section for abstract combat in the quick-start rules lacked the traits mentioned. Still, we had a blast and the heroes made it out by the skin of their teeth with some loot, a couple of key side mission items, and the cure for the virus.

The four players present for the game are interested in continuing with Fragged Empire. As such, I'm going to work with the errata and rulebook, but should I get frustrated enough, I figure I'll suggest porting the game over to WEG's d6 Space system.

What have your experiences with Fragged Empire been like?

Later!

Harl

I flipped through the book and did not like the artwork, the setting premise and the races much. So I decided to skip it. Haven't even bothered looking at the system.

How practical/easy-to-use is the 3d6 +/- modifiers? What added benefit of granularity does its "bell-curve" have over, say, 2d6? I don't mean mathematical odds and such, I mean how quick/easy/intuitive is it at the table and why do they bother use so many d6s for their basic mechanic?

I know that most gamers are typically decent number crunchers, but I have players who have trouble just adding up regular modifiers with 1d20. Something about 3d6 bugs me. It's irrational, I know.

Sorry if I'm brutally misusing the terms here.

How practical/easy-to-use is the 3d6 +/- modifiers? What added benefit of granularity does its "bell-curve" have over, say, 2d6? I don't mean mathematical odds and such, I mean how quick/easy/intuitive is it at the table and why do they bother use so many d6s for their basic mechanic?

I know that most gamers are typically decent number crunchers, but I have players who have trouble just adding up regular modifiers with 1d20. Something about 3d6 bugs me. It's irrational, I know.

Irrational? No. You prefer what you prefer. At any rate, this system does have fiddliness with regard to the modifiers and the dice rolls. The descriptive bonus only applies if the attribute being used with the skill has a score of 3+; the converse penalty is only applied if the attribute has a score below 2. Overall, the scale runs from 0 being "impaired" to 5 being "extremely gifted"; a score of 2 is considered "average". On top of that, we have the concept of the "Strong Hit", essentially FE's exploding dice mechanic. If a six is rolled on any of the dice, those sixes are added to the total and re-rolled with the re-roll being added as well (though I may be misinterpreting/mis-remembering the rules). Factor in the modifiers from equipment traits on top of the all the other mods and your players aren't going to have it easy with this system.

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking d6 Space paired with Bill Coffin's Septimus might be the right route if I can't get FE's system to work for me.

Harl

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back