Free League announces official Alien RPG

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
For those that have the game, is the mythology of Prometheus/Covenent present?

finarvyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Now, if I could only convince my group to play it. For whatever reason, they are pretty much fantasy-only and when I suggest something modern or scifi they steer me back to fantasy. :sad:

I like the looks of this new pre-order, however, and will probably sink some $$ into it. :grin:

finarvyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The starter set is supposed to be out soon, I think. I just got the PDF files for the starter set and they look pretty decent so far.

finarvyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Two sets of PDF's, actually. One folder for "Destroyer of Worlds" and one called "Starter Set." I suppose DoW is the adventure and SS is the starter rules.

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Starter Set also has Chariot of the Gods. Essentially it’s the Alien themed adventure. Destroyer of Worlds is a sort of sequel that is an Aliens themed adventure.

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have just skimmed over Destroyer of Worlds and it looks amazing. A deluxe 3 session adventure with maps and handouts like Chariot of the Gods.

I really like how its not just an Aliens knock-off. The premise of Colonial Marines on a colonial mining town hunting insurgents under the threat of invasion is really cool.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have just skimmed over Destroyer of Worlds and it looks amazing. A deluxe 3 session adventure with maps and handouts like Chariot of the Gods.

I really like how its not just an Aliens knock-off. The premise of Colonial Marines on a colonial mining town hunting insurgents under the threat of invasion is really cool.
Yeah agreed, just finished reading it and every little detail is very good. A mini-sandbox with multiple points of tension ready to blow up and so many locations with just enough details. I can see it playing out so many ways.

Toadmaster

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've been impressed by the way they've managed to dredge up a lot of material from various "official Alien" sources to make having the license actually mean something, but still add enough to offer something other than just Alien / Aliens movie clone adventures.

silva

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Stress mechanic looks like Vampire 5E hunger, which is good. Is that so?

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Its a cool dynamic and one that I haven't seen elsewhere to the same extent. At the start, most PCs want some Stress to enhance their focus and skill, rather than being caught flatfooted by the events to come. This sees players encouraged to go out and investigate and take on challenges early when the scenario is often quietest. However, there is a tipping point where it goes out of control and even spreads to other PCs. This descent really conveys the feeling of the movies quite a bit and is a blast to play.

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Stress mechanic looks like Vampire 5E hunger, which is good. Is that so?
For some reason the person who originally answered Silva’s post deleted their response.

I am not entirely familiar with VtM5’s Hunger Dice so I may not be the best to answer, but I think the difference is that in Alien Stress dice add to the dice pool and not convert dice in it. As a result, they don’t just add an increasing chance of something bad but also an increasing chance of success. This creates The dynamic I mention above of making Stress initially desirable but ultimately a risk.

Toadmaster

Legendary Member
Reaction score
For some reason the person who originally answered Silva’s post deleted their response.

I am not entirely familiar with VtM5’s Hunger Dice so I may not be the best to answer, but I think the difference is that in Alien Stress dice add to the dice pool and not convert dice in it. As a result, they don’t just add an increasing chance of something bad but also an increasing chance of success. This creates The dynamic I mention above of making Stress initially desirable but ultimately a risk.
I have no idea how VtM works, but I agree that the good and bad aspects of stress dice makes it interesting. A little stress is good,the senses heighten, reflexes might get a little faster. Too much and you start losing fine motor control, and do things like drop the magazine out of your gun, or fumble with your keys trying to open a door, completely overlook that Alien creature hunched down next to the weapons rack...

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The two dice mechanics are similar but differ in ways that directly relate to what they are simulating, Stress vs a Vampire's bestial nature.

Stress as mentioned above increases your chance of success, reflecting the focus one gets when under stress. This comes at the risk of panicking, but until you're very stressed panics aren't likely to result in a failure or other negative consequences. Eventually of course it will build to the point where you might go nuts and risk the whole group.

Hunger however replaces dice which leads to, not an increased risk of failure or a better chance of success, but the contamination of both successes and failures with aggression. So you might roll to see if you intimidate a bouncer at a club. Succeed when you have no Hunger dice and you simply stare him down. Succeed with Hunger dice involved and you break his arm. Fail without hunger dice and you just fail. Fail with hunger dice and you kill him violently for "daring to oppose you".

This has to be considered with the generally rare rolling in V5. Act like a mortal and you don't need to roll. Rolling is pushing yourself in some way which risks (via the Hunger dice) bringing out this violence/waking the Beast.

Even ignoring the excellent subsystems that surround them, e.g. Alien's world generator and elegant non-Xeno hazard mechanics and V5's reworking (or revamping omglul!!eleventy-one!!) of the Vitae pool system, these are the recent games that have impressed me the most with their central mechanic.

silva

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Amazing comparison, Seadna. Thanks! I already got V5, now I need to get Alien.

Btw, how to pronounce @Séadna ? I don't know why but I always assumed it was smthing like "shah-na". Maybe y brain associates it to Gaelic or something.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Amazing comparison, Seadna. Thanks! I already got V5, now I need to get Alien.
I'd recommend picking up one of the two scenarios with it (one is PDF only at the moment): Chariot of the Gods or Destroyer of Worlds. The former is the simpler scenario.

Btw, how to pronounce @Séadna ? I don't know why but I always assumed it was smthing like "shah-na". Maybe y brain associates it to Gaelic or something.
It is Gaelic, it's the Gaelic word for Jack-of-the-Lantern/Stingy Jack/Jack the Smith.

It's pronounced She-ah-nah. With "She" as in "She said" and "Nah" as in the casual form of "No".

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading Destroyer of Worlds to run in a couple of weeks time. It’s a pretty amazing scenario. They talk about it being run in three scenarios like Chariot of the Gods, but it seems like it would be longer, especially Acts 1 and 3.

It has the feel of Aliens but the set up is so much better, with some excellent military drama with dealing with local insurgents. It has a Black Hawk Down vibe. There is a sense of isolation but that’s because everyone is hostile to you.

The setting is huge, both in terms of the city and the military base. I am really impressed by the scale and scope they have added with this adventure.

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
Just finished reading Destroyer of Worlds to run in a couple of weeks time. It’s a pretty amazing scenario. They talk about it being run in three scenarios like Chariot of the Gods, but it seems like it would be longer, especially Acts 1 and 3.

It has the feel of Aliens but the set up is so much better, with some excellent military drama with dealing with local insurgents. It has a Black Hawk Down vibe. There is a sense of isolation but that’s because everyone is hostile to you.

The setting is huge, both in terms of the city and the military base. I am really impressed by the scale and scope they have added with this adventure.
Nice. That's pretty exciting!

finarvyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If your pre-order is through Free Legion Publishing you should e-mail customer service and ask about it. I got my starter set a few weeks ago.

If your pre-order is through a game store, I have no idea. :sad:

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If your pre-order is through a game store, I have no idea. :sad:
401 Games in Toronto. Usually they're pretty good, although they started posting a warning that Canada Post is super duper slow and awful right now.

Malleustein

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've had the starter set and Destroyer of Worlds about a month now. It seems readily available here in the UK.