Free League announces official Alien RPG

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm going to pass on this so I have money for the upcoming Zardoz: Roleplaying in the Postapocalyptic Earth of 2293 A.D.
Tagline for the boxed set: "Beyond 1984, Beyond 2001, Beyond Love, Beyond Death!"
Mildly disappointed that this doesn't seem to be a real product.

"I will not go to second level with you!"

Mildly disappointed that this doesn't seem to be a real product.
I don't know what you mean. I got the license from John Boorman Productions Ltd. and the Kickstarter goes live as soon as I write the rules. John Boorman Productions Ltd. threw in the rights to art and footage from the movie and advertising for free, so I already have a dummy for the boxed set cover. It's going to be packaged in a big cube full of goodies: player's rulebook, referee's rulebook, miniatures, maps, referee screen, red bandoliers and Speedos to wear while playing, etc.
Zardoz_B2_Japan-2 - Copy.jpg

I'm not sure how it can be done mechanically in a tabletop, but this kind of creepy, "is that something, or just some thing?" vibe in this illustration is what an Alien game needs to have.

Playing the marine in AVP video game captures the feeling so well, dark, creepy, shadows and sounds make you jump at everything. Flares help, but you have a limited supply... I know I've shot the crap out of many shadowy inanimate objects.

Whether or not the game system works, this looks like it will be worth it for the art alone.

Deep_Impact on the Free League forums had this to say: https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?f=97&p=36312#p36312

I wrote a German summary of the interview and translated back would be something like this:

Setting
· They are working for six months (over a year actually, see below) on the rules and setting. Fria Ligan also has the permission to make the events and maps canonical.
· Even from works, like the original script of William Gibson and other books.
· different political power blocs
· More dangers than just xenomorphs
· no predators!

The system distinguishes between Cinematic OneShots and a campaign mode.
Cinematics
· Pregen characters
· Also with PvP elements
· Division into 3 acts
· Characters get different agendas per act
Campaign mode
· Free Sandboxing
· 3 campaign style: space truckers, marines, colonists
· 8 archetypes inspired by the movies (Newt-, Burke-, Ripley-like characters possible)
· Year 2183 / Alien 1-3
Hybrid Form
· One-Shots, which influence further Oneshots
· Plotpoint-like (IF X THEN A ELSE THEN B)
· usually not the same characters

New Stress Mechanics
· central push mechanic
· Pushing = generates stress dice, but also by auto fire, sight of horrific beings or panic of others (chain reaction)
· Stress dice = more focus and more success, but chance of panic
· Panic table contains reactions from the movies, such as freeze or berserk

New stealth mechanics to simulate the avoidance of an encounter and the sneaking over "the ship". Feeling of paranoia as focus.

Publication
· no Kickstarter, only preorder:
· When to preorder: Not far future
· Preorder provides instant access to the 160-pages-Quickstarter
· Full Release: November
· Translations possible and expected

Tomas, CEO of Free League and a writer for Alien RPG, had this to say: All of that looks right, except the development time - we have been working on the game for over a year.

Last edited:
New Stress Mechanics
· central push mechanic
· Pushing = generates stress dice, but also by auto fire, sight of horrific beings or panic of others (chain reaction)
· Stress dice = more focus and more success, but chance of panic
· Panic table contains reactions from the movies, such as freeze or berserk

This sounds appropriate, but players hate losing control of their characters. I can already see the debates along the lines of Call of Cthulhu's Sanity rules.

Totally bogus man, an Alien wouldn't scare me, I'd show it a thing or two... alien would go crawling back into its egg after I was done with it. :errr:

A big part of why horror games are so hard, few players are willing to admit there are situations that would cause them to piss themselves.

It sounds like the player has some control over how the PC loses control such as going berserk instead of freezing or fleeing.

I was brought on last year, so it's been in development a while. It's been a huge joy to work with Tomas and the others at Fria Ligan.

I will note that Alien is an absolutely note-perfect example of the three act structure, which while one of the most vanilla methods in all of cinema is perfect for horror movies like this one, especially when they fake you out all the time. Can't speak for the other films, although I've enjoyed all of them myself (I even like Prometheus and Alien: Covenant).

Cheers,
Cam

This sounds appropriate, but players hate losing control of their characters. I can already see the debates along the lines of Call of Cthulhu's Sanity rules.

Totally bogus man, an Alien wouldn't scare me, I'd show it a thing or two... alien would go crawling back into its egg after I was done with it. :errr:

A big part of why horror games are so hard, few players are willing to admit there are situations that would cause them to piss themselves.
I've never had that much of a problem with it, but I've always run a lot of horror games over the years, so by extension, my circle of gaming friends are on-board for horror.

While I expressed a general cynicism about licensed games earlier, this is beginning to sound interesting.

Looks like I am out. Probably running STAY FROSTY this Sunday and I have HOSTILE to run. Love the Cepheus Engine.

Setting
· They are working for six months (over a year actually, see below) on the rules and setting. Fria Ligan also has the permission to make the events and maps canonical.
· Even from works, like the original script of William Gibson and other books.
· different political power blocs
· More dangers than just xenomorphs

Well, that sounds pretty promising -
· no predators!
:brokenheart:
I don't know what you mean. I got the license from John Boorman Productions Ltd. and the Kickstarter goes live as soon as I write the rules.
See, this is how you know this will be a serious Kickstarter, if the writing is done before the Kickstarter begins!

It sounds like the player has some control over how the PC loses control such as going berserk instead of freezing or fleeing.

It wasn't a criticism of the game, I think some sort of terror rule is pretty much required. I just know how many players react to having their options limited mechanically, so they will have a delicate balancing act getting it right. Horror goes directly against the more common big damn hero concept and it can be difficult to get people to let it go.

Bonus points if they manage to come up with a system that actually has players on edge and forced to make quick decisions. Not literally scared, but edgy and prone to snap judgments, something that highlights the confusion and uncertainty, making them blow away scary looking water coolers.

I don't know what you mean. I got the license from John Boorman Productions Ltd. and the Kickstarter goes live as soon as I write the rules. John Boorman Productions Ltd. threw in the rights to art and footage from the movie and advertising for free, so I already have a dummy for the boxed set cover. It's going to be packaged in a big cube full of goodies: player's rulebook, referee's rulebook, miniatures, maps, referee screen, red bandoliers and Speedos to wear while playing, etc.

Even more surprising is the recent announcement of this other John Boorman Productions Ltd. RPG.

I was brought on last year, so it's been in development a while. It's been a huge joy to work with Tomas and the others at Fria Ligan.

I will note that Alien is an absolutely note-perfect example of the three act structure, which while one of the most vanilla methods in all of cinema is perfect for horror movies like this one, especially when they fake you out all the time. Can't speak for the other films, although I've enjoyed all of them myself (I even like Prometheus and Alien: Covenant).

Cheers,
Cam
I hate to do this to you, but on the commentary for Alien, Ridley Scott talks about the end of that movie as a kind of fourth act. The bit in the shuttle was added on late in the writing process and sold to the producers as a fourth act.

And that's from the man himself.

Edit: everything I’m saying is making look like more and more of a douche. Let’s just forget i said anything.

Last edited:
I frequently defend Prometheus. However, when I finally watched the “making of” videos, I got pretty angry at Ridley Scott’s mistreatment of H.R. Giger. All of the concept artists and script writers really wanted to bring in more Giger stuff but Scott rejected it all for some weird reason. I don’t know why, but that really pissed me off.

I frequently defend Prometheus. However, when I finally watched the “making of” videos, I got pretty angry at Ridley Scott’s mistreatment of H.R. Giger. All of the concept artists and script writers really wanted to bring in more Giger stuff but Scott rejected it all for some weird reason. I don’t know why, but that really pissed me off.
Because he's a designer by training. Fun fact, Ridley Scott wad almost the guy to design the Daleks. How lucky are we that he didn't?

I am a fan of Prometheus and Covenant (yes, the giant plot holes and shower scenes in space were horrible). Mainly because I love the production value and casting. The character and portray of David was awesome, and as an added bonus we got to see Kenny Powers in space!
kennyee547ba0d2213fb9aeb1026bf84d7cc1.jpg

Edit: never mind, move along

Last edited:
For sure. I won’t dispute that. But I simply can’t afford it anymore. It’s becoming irresponsible for me to purchase any more licensed products. I’m in the minority, I’ll bet, when I look longingly at all the other games I’ve not even cracked open. Mothership for instance :smile:

This isn't a custom system built only for Alien and not useful in other games. There are a lot more games run on the Year Zero system then just Alien. Mutant Year Zero, Coriolis, Tales from the Loop, Forbidden Lands, and soon a Cthulhu RPG. The system covers post-apoc, sci-fi, teen sci-fi adventure, fantasy, and horror. I would be disappointed if Alien didn't use Year Zero!

I don’t even like Alien but that art is very nice.

First BESM is in the process of making a comeback and now we're getting an official Aliens RPG? Awesome.

Yes, I know about the Aliens RPG from the guys who did the Phoenix Command game, but real talk here, did anyone even buy that game, let alone actually run or play it?

First BESM is in the process of making a comeback and now we're getting an official Aliens RPG? Awesome.

Yes, I know about the Aliens RPG from the guys who did the Phoenix Command game, but real talk here, did anyone even buy that game, let alone actually run or play it?
Oh, I know people that bought it. Played or ran it though? No.

Are there mechanics for not being able to run perpendicular to something slowly falling on you?
Does it make me a bad person because I cheered for Theron's death in that film? She's annoying on many levels.

Does it make me a bad person because I cheered for Theron's death in that film? She's annoying on many levels.

Annoying character in Prometheus maybe, but Atomic Blonde is well worth seeing if you haven't. Some of the best fight choreography in any Hollywood movie.

In the original Alien, Ripley was a character was a pretty cold character. I wouldn't say she was unlikable, but the movie made no attempt to use any moviemaking tricks to make her likable. A lot of people forget that as Aliens was a way more forumulaic movie that used every dirty trick in the book to make her a sympathetic Hollywood hero with a character arc.

I feel like maybe they were trying for something like the original version of Ripley, but it just didn't really land.

Do you mean Charlize Theron in general or her character in the movie? Because I agree either way, but everyone in that movie was annoying. The whole movie was annoying.

Do you mean Charlize Theron in general or her character in the movie? Because I agree either way, but everyone in that movie was annoying. The whole movie was annoying.
((Incoming sarcasm))
But I thought it was cool how the geographer got lost and the biologist exposed himself to a mutant eel.

In the original Alien, Ripley was a character was a pretty cold character. I wouldn't say she was unlikable, but the movie made no attempt to use any moviemaking tricks to make her likable. A lot of people forget that as Aliens was a way more forumulaic movie that used every dirty trick in the book to make her a sympathetic Hollywood hero with a character arc.

I feel like maybe they were trying for something like the original version of Ripley, but it just didn't really land.

In Alien, movie Ripley is much chillier than book Ripley. There are a number of scenes cut from the film that highlight that she is actually friends with much of the crew, not just a hard driving by the book manager.

It made sense to have her in Aliens, but I think the later movies suffer by including her as a central character. The movies start to become more about her and less about the titular Aliens.

I believe I own everything Leading Edge did including Aliens. Phoenix Command et al is a far better rules set than people give it credit for. Yes it is very crunchy, but it actually does what it sets out to do. It works quite well and runs pretty smooth when you have players who will learn the basics of the system.

That said no, I never got to run or play the Aliens RPG because the time it came out, the players I knew who would actually play a game like that had scattered to the four winds and Phoenix Command had by that point become this legendary "unplayable" system where everybody had to be masters of Trig.

I remember the Leading Edge book being quite nicely done. To be clear it was the Aliens plural Adventure Game right? As I remember it it was pretty much all about locking and loading, stowing that shit, and heading out on another bug hunt.

Allegedly the authors were literally rocket scientists. I've never seen that confirmed, but it is quite clear that they had experience writing technical documents. From purely technical standpoint the LE stuff are probably among the most well written RPG products ever published. Maybe not the most artistic but clear, concise, and well formatted.

If only more games could boast of this. :cry:

Fewer grammatical errors per page than any other RPG, or we'll eat a bug.

I remember the Leading Edge book being quite nicely done. To be clear it was the Aliens plural Adventure Game right? As I remember it it was pretty much all about locking and loading, stowing that shit, and heading out on another bug hunt.

Yes, Aliens.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back