Free RPG Day June 25th 2022 (North America) OR July 23rd 2022 (rest of the world)

ORtrail

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The publishers and exact releases for Free RPG Day are still being worked on, but anyone making plans to run a game for it?

I'm working on finalizing my plans to attend in Portland, Oregon. Red Castle Games is planning to have games run and even offering a $25 store credit for those that GM a game (from their list of indie RPGs). It's really being used by them to promote RPGs other than D&D/Pathfinder. That said, they'd like to see games run that they have on hand to sell to players (it is a business after all).

I'm debating between Tales From the Loop, Kids on Bikes, or Dune. I've run TFtL a couple times and it would be the easy option. On the other hand, I do like the idea of running a game less familiar to me. I'll make up my mind before the end of May (the deadline so Red Castle Games can put their schedule together).

I do need to ask them about any plans for masking up. I attended RadCon back in February and we had widely spaced tables and mandatory facemasks. It went well, though I felt a bit like I was shouting to make sure everyone the table could hear me.

carpocratian

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, very few of the game stores in my area participate in Free RPG Day any more, despite living near a major metropolitan area. By "my area," I mean "within an hour's drive." Those that do have something going on tend to either have strings attached to getting a copy, or don't order that many copies of the games, or do something else that makes it even less worthwhile to make the drive. :sad:

ORtrail

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Most of the publishers are now showing what their releases for Free RPG Day 2022 are going to be. Just scroll down on the main page.

The Modiphius starter book for Homeworld: Revelations looks like my top choice for this year.

Skywalker

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Root Quickstart for me. I have the first two and they are good.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
Kids on Bikes is pretty slick, with low cognitive overhead system-wise, and running a Stranger Things kind of scenario isn't tough to do. That would be my pick.

Caesar Slaad

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I typically help organize Free RPG day at the LGS.

It's highly likely that I run Broken Compass this year. I see CMON (who is now the owner of the publisher) is on the list, I'm guessing they'll have a BC title.

AsenRG

#FuckWotC #PlayNonDnDGames
Reaction score
There's pretty decent odds that I'd be outside of the city on 23rd July. Ah well, if I miss it, I miss it.

I'd probably go for R.Talsorian or DCC otherwise:thumbsup:.

Simlasa

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, very few of the game stores in my area participate in Free RPG Day any more, despite living near a major metropolitan area. By "my area," I mean "within an hour's drive."
Same here... unless it's 5e it doesn't exist.
I'm considering a road trip to somewhere with better game stores... or seeing if I can just buy a couple things off of Noble Knight (ick) afterward. Mostly I just want the DCC offering...

SamuraiHaiku

Reaction score
Last Free RPG Day, my local comic shop (Fantasy Shop, StL, MO) celebrated by giving a free rpg only if you bought a boxed set of another rpg. Now I’ll drop a dime at a comicbook shop with the best of them, but that was the last time they got my money.

ORtrail

Legendary Member
Reaction score
A bit of a repeat of my initial post, but for those that skip through threads....

Red Castle Games in Portland, OR has pushed indie RPGs for Free RPG Day. They don't allow D&D or Pathfinder, but rather games run like:

Blades in the Dark
Cyberpunk R
Dialect
Dune
Fiasco
Kids on Bikes
Kids on Brooms
Monsterhearts
Ryuutama
Shadowrun
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer 40K: Wrath and Glory
World Wide Wrestling
G.I. Joe RPG
Power Rangers RPG

The focus is on indie games in print that they can sell at the store, which is a good business decision, but older out-of-print RPGs and PDF only are sadly left out. They give the GMs who run a game a $25 store credit; which helps explain why between store employees running games and returning GMs from previous years they have a FULL schedule this year.

They also have strict masking rules which includes having your vax card. Better safe than sorry, right?

AsenRG

#FuckWotC #PlayNonDnDGames
Reaction score
They also have strict masking rules which includes having your vax card. Better safe than sorry, right?
Yeah, I wish we had a store like that here. Though maybe we do, I haven't visited them all lately:grin:!

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com