Fresh off the Boat: Savage Rifts (SWADE Edition)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It feels like Headhunters should be included in this grouping. While MARS characters they start with a healthy dose of custom selected cybernetics, plus a slew of rolls for being MARS.

I think they made the distinction about Combat Borgs being 'Borgs that we associate with the OCC. But they make all these other cyborg distinctions in the rules for partial conversions that Headhunters fall closer to.

Personally I love Headhunters - and the MARS packages can let you make a fairly beefy borg-like character that could stand-and-bang in their own right. There's a lot of variety they baked into the rules.

The more I read the more respect I have for PEG because ultimately this is an entirely new tier of their own system overlaying their Core Rules and it's done on paper with pretty solid fidelity. And they're apparently *deeply* committed to it, as much as they are to Deadlands.

I think they made the distinction about Combat Borgs being 'Borgs that we associate with the OCC. But they make all these other cyborg distinctions in the rules for partial conversions that Headhunters fall closer to.

Personally I love Headhunters - and the MARS packages can let you make a fairly beefy borg-like character that could stand-and-bang in their own right. There's a lot of variety they baked into the rules.

The more I read the more respect I have for PEG because ultimately this is an entirely new tier of their own system overlaying their Core Rules and it's done on paper with pretty solid fidelity. And they're apparently *deeply* committed to it, as much as they are to Deadlands.

You’re right there. I always thought “express everything using the exact same rules with different trappings” was a deeply flawed methodology proven wrong again and again as the best Savage World products are the ones that specifically do NOT do that and create new elements or greatly modify existing ones when necessary. Savage Rifts was a real paradigm shift and I hope it heralds in more extreme customization with other Savage World products going forward.

Yeah! The Core rules are pretty solid vanilla - my criticisms are exactly the same. The de-emphasis of Trappings from Reloaded (and even then they were pretty vanilla) had me pretty worried. The *best* examples of Savage Worlds were setting specific - Deadlands, Hellfrost, Shaintar, Rippers, stand out to me, where they tooled the rules specifically to the conceits of their settings and vastly expanded the mechanical heft of the game without breaking their system.

I'm pretty optimistic about Core SWADE now as a baseline, if Savage Rifts is an example of them repeating the same design goals of Core + Setting Expansion rules.

Then we can mix-n'-match as we see fit with little overhead. As an example - I'm eyeballing all their Psychic Warrior options in Savage Rifts for my long-talked about Githyanki/Githzerai fantasy campaign. Savage Rifts in particular opens up a *lot* of options... Star Wars, 40k, super high-fantasy and pretty much everything under the sun.

I've never played any version of Rifts, but I always thought it sounded like a neat idea. Since I like SWADE a lot, I am thinking of getting the SWADE Savage Rifts.

Is there any particular movie, show, or book you fine folks would recommend as inspiration to get one into a Rifts-y state of mind?

I've never played any version of Rifts, but I always thought it sounded like a neat idea. Since I like SWADE a lot, I am thinking of getting the SWADE Savage Rifts.

Is there any particular movie, show, or book you fine folks would recommend as inspiration to get one into a Rifts-y state of mind?
I can't think of anything close, but some movies that have at least some of the "feel" for me would be:
  • Terminator Salvation
  • Mortal Engines
  • Edge of Tomorrow
And it would help if you combined them in a smash up. . .Plus throw in dinosaurs and vampires. And the Avengers.

There are some fan made trailers on youtube, and that's basically what they did.

The night begins to shine three part special from Teen Titans Go. Seriously. It's of course far sillier, but...

The way I often describe the setting is a collage of every metal album. For a recent movie, I would recommend Battle Angel, for something a bit more dated I'd go Wizards.

The best idea I found in Savage Rifts is the Tomorrow Legion. I would use in game it as soon as 100 PA (the start of the Rifts history) as a conspirational society which aims to prevent the Coalition / Tolkeen wars by providing a better target for each of them, namely the Vampire Kingdom for the CS and the Xiticix for Tolkeen. But if the PCs do not manage to provide enough proof of the great peril from the Vampire Kingdom, the CS/Tolkeen Will gone as described in the official version.

Do games count? The Borderlands series strikes me as very Rifts-y.

The best idea I found in Savage Rifts is the Tomorrow Legion. I would use in game it as soon as 100 PA (the start of the Rifts history) as a conspirational society which aims to prevent the Coalition / Tolkeen wars by providing a better target for each of them, namely the Vampire Kingdom for the CS and the Xiticix for Tolkeen. But if the PCs do not manage to provide enough proof of the great peril from the Vampire Kingdom, the CS/Tolkeen Will gone as described in the official version.

Would be an interesting proposition if the fact that the Tolkeen issue wasn't what it was. I mean the Vampire Kingdoms as-written aren't capable (or apparently willing) to do a full-scale invasion. They do the slow corrosion by slow infection and corruption. Tolkeen as represented with overt demon worship/sacrifice and the whole kit-and-kaboodle should alarm any organization in North America. Even the Tomorrow Legion.

I get the whole Anti-D-Bee thing is kinda drastic... 200+ years after the fact, but not all D-Bees are the same. Palladium infernal powers are nasty business... been that way since Palladium Fantasy. It's an interesting concept - if you change the conceits of Tolkeen's apparent canon. Like what if Tolkeen *wasn't* doing the whole demon-worshipping/human-sacrifice thing, but something else that others misinterpreted?

ARCHIE propaganda machine? Or something.

Actually in the original Rifts corebook, Tolkeen is described as a rather benign kindgom and its rulers, notably King Robert Creed (originally Scrupulous good according to his description p 82 of the final), are of good or selfish alignments. They become corrupt because of the war. The Freehold dragons are also not interested in war with the CS. Sure, they are looking for allies in bad places, and because of that Lord Coake cannot support them. But if the CS aggression is redirected towards the Vampire Kingdoms (Rifts Mercenaries suggests p 38 that if the Coalition learns about the full severity of the vampiric infection, it will attack them), the Tolkeen leadership would have to resort to the extreme measures it is prepared to do. Also, Mexico was of the NEMA alliance and since the Vampire Intelligences have no interest in technology, it is possible that ancient NEMA ressources are still untouched and the Coalition might some intelligence on them. The Splugorth, Columbia and True Atlanteans might provide proof the great deception (the only the Vampire Intelligences of Mexico agree to cooperate - vampires are mindless predators) is a lie and honest to god extra dimensional invaders with no regard for mankind are at the door step of the Coalition.

The Tolkien War was badly handled because Siembeida LOVES his Coalition, willing to retcon things to make them seem somewhat sympathetic. But the real damage is what happened to Cyberknights.

Not the schism, that can EASILY be written out, most people do. It's that suddenly they were suddenly changed into anti-tech magic luddites in a world where Magical Monsters are a bigger threat than some doods with guns and tanks.

See the issues I brought up with the Glitterboy armour, or the Juicers/Crazies are actually things former players and GMs as well as my own current crew brought up, and I wouldn't have thought up of on my own, not being military (Although not for lack of trying. I was disqualified due to health issues.) but the Cyber-Knight? That one makes my eyes cross.

Bear with me, so according to what I remember in the core book, before P.A. 96, there was this unknown amount of time where the world was more or less a demon infested, extra-dimensional hell pit where the average earth born human suddenly had to deal with monsters from myths and legends. But luckily, from time to time champions would come out and try to aid the beleaguered world, because they were heroes and that's what they do.

One such hero was this magical Knight figure known as Lord Coake. Now, after spending some time smiting foes, he attracted a group of like-minded individuals who would aid him in his quest, so he began to train them in the ways to combat the most common foes on Rifts Earth.

According to the OFFICIAL time like this was 150 years ago. But the Coalition was formed a mere 50, before P.A.96. Before then, there was no evil techno power. A.R.C.H.I.E wasn't active then, and by the time the first Source Book came out he still hadn't proven to be a threat.

So where are these techno bad guys that Coake trained a group of warriors to fight? And why wouldn't he focus them on creatures like demons, evil mages and dragons?

TL;DR: The changes to the Cyber-Knights make no chronological sense based on the established lore.

The Tolkien War was badly handled because Siembeida LOVES his Coalition, willing to retcon things to make them seem somewhat sympathetic. But the real damage is what happened to Cyberknights.

Not the schism, that can EASILY be written out, most people do. It's that suddenly they were suddenly changed into anti-tech magic luddites in a world where Magical Monsters are a bigger threat than some doods with guns and tanks.

See the issues I brought up with the Glitterboy armour, or the Juicers/Crazies are actually things former players and GMs as well as my own current crew brought up, and I wouldn't have thought up of on my own, not being military (Although not for lack of trying. I was disqualified due to health issues.) but the Cyber-Knight? That one makes my eyes cross.

Bear with me, so according to what I remember in the core book, before P.A. 96, there was this unknown amount of time where the world was more or less a demon infested, extra-dimensional hell pit where the average earth born human suddenly had to deal with monsters from myths and legends. But luckily, from time to time champions would come out and try to aid the beleaguered world, because they were heroes and that's what they do.

One such hero was this magical Knight figure known as Lord Coake. Now, after spending some time smiting foes, he attracted a group of like-minded individuals who would aid him in his quest, so he began to train them in the ways to combat the most common foes on Rifts Earth.

According to the OFFICIAL time like this was 150 years ago. But the Coalition was formed a mere 50, before P.A.96. Before then, there was no evil techno power. A.R.C.H.I.E wasn't active then, and by the time the first Source Book came out he still hadn't proven to be a threat.

So where are these techno bad guys that Coake trained a group of warriors to fight? And why wouldn't he focus them on creatures like demons, evil mages and dragons?

TL;DR: The changes to the Cyber-Knights make no chronological sense based on the established lore.

We found the same thing in our game. The GM was having a lot of problems wrapping his head around just that issue. It actually made more sense when they were just some Major Psionics who learned to make a psi-sword, then got a single piece of cybernetics to give them the ability to combat the supernatural evil, because that's what allowed regular people to stand up to those things.

On a funny note, discussing the problems of the Palladium system (specifically the reasons why, in order to be an effective mage in combat, you have to be a martial artist, because more attacks = more spells...), my GM finally gave up on Palladium and said "What about that Savage Worlds thing you've been talking up?"

To which I replied "Oh, my copy of the box set arrives next week. I suppose I could run a one-shot to show you guys what it's like..."

So now we're playing Savage Rifts :grin:

One of the things I find interesting about the Siege/Fall of Tolkeen is that the story beats aren't bad. It's more that the way they were handled feels, what's the best way to describe it, unjustified? Like, there was a journey we were supposed to go on to reach this conclusion but things felt rushed, or happening out of sequence to make logical sense. There's this seeming attempt to have you empathize with the Coalition, where it might be better to mourn the loss of Tolkeen's purity, and fall into depravity to save their people. There's a lot to try and parse, and I'm happy that the Savage Rifts digest leaves the details at a higher level to avoid people going, wait, what? Other side of that, I do like the Cyberknight's Iconic Framework, and don't begrudge the changes, even if they are a retcon.

One of the things I find interesting about the Siege/Fall of Tolkeen is that the story beats aren't bad. It's more that the way they were handled feels, what's the best way to describe it, unjustified? Like, there was a journey we were supposed to go on to reach this conclusion but things felt rushed, or happening out of sequence to make logical sense. There's this seeming attempt to have you empathize with the Coalition, where it might be better to mourn the loss of Tolkeen's purity, and fall into depravity to save their people. There's a lot to try and parse, and I'm happy that the Savage Rifts digest leaves the details at a higher level to avoid people going, wait, what? Other side of that, I do like the Cyberknight's Iconic Framework, and don't begrudge the changes, even if they are a retcon.
I have to agree.. the way that Savage Rifts handles things makes the Cyber-Knights make a lot more sense, and the interaction between their powers and the cyber-armor (and the justification for their Cyberkinetic Edges) means that it's FAR more sensible than it came across in Palladium.

tenbones tenbones Since you seem to have a certain mastery over the SW/SWADE, could you give some exeample of character creation like a cyborg, a cyber knignt and a mage, please ?

Because, even if I have the SW corebook and SW rifts player guide, I am still clueless about creating a character with this set of rules.

We found the same thing in our game. The GM was having a lot of problems wrapping his head around just that issue. It actually made more sense when they were just some Major Psionics who learned to make a psi-sword, then got a single piece of cybernetics to give them the ability to combat the supernatural evil, because that's what allowed regular people to stand up to those things.
My proposed fix, which I'm going to try out soon, as the GM wants to see how 'balanced' (In the sense that everyone is on the same power curve, despite having different powers and abilities) each class are. And my suggestion is to have the Cyberkinetic Combat be able to switch, which will take an action where neither ability kicks in.

We'll see how that works out. I'm going to try the Cyber-Knight, my second favourite OCC in Rifts. Undead Slayer is the first. (I do like the GB, but it needs some work, like arm blasters, and frankly, my GM let me 'cheat' on the character. I was given two rolls on the MARS attribute table, to show that my character was one of the NEMA of Chaos Earth, who are supposed to be genetically enhanced. It was to allow my PC to do stuff outside of the suit.)
The Fall of Tolkeen is actually a metaplot. There's nothing anyone can do it WILL fold out the way it does because every book that comes out after it is written in with the idea that Tolkeen fell.

tenbones tenbones Since you seem to have a certain mastery over the SW/SWADE, could you give some exeample of character creation like a cyborg, a cyber knignt and a mage, please ?

Because, even if I have the SW corebook and SW rifts player guide, I am still clueless about creating a character with this set of rules.
I'll write up an example a little later today. It's a little involved with Savage Rifts (in a good way to me).

Yeah, it is hard to argue that the upgrade of the CK in the 4th Coalition Wars book makes sense lorewise, especially since Rifts exists since 1990 and the whole upgrade to the Cyber-Knight was only introduced in 2000.

And also, yes, in order for your Ley Line Walker or your Mind Melter to have value in combat, they must select at least hand to hand basic and boxing, or they will be sitting ducks in combat, especially the Ley Line Walker must use 2 actions to cast a spell.

I can understand why people find this off putting/frustrating since magic users and masters psychics are power incarcerated lore wise in the Rifts setting with they innate abilities to generate and withstand Mega-Damage.

Last edited:
Okay - so first off, Savage Rifts modified Character Generation specifically for Rift's much higher-powered assumptions. Compared to standard SWADE characters, your average Rifts starting character is *a lot* more powerful in terms of raw ability. Fortunately SW-Rifts is pretty self-contained but you could port your other Savage Worlds characters over with little trouble...

On with the show...

Rifts characters start as what they call Iconic Frameworks - which are Savage Worlds equivalent templates that encapsulate Palladium Rifts O.C.C.'s. You have most of the OCC's in the core Rifts books represented, Combat Cyborg, Crazy, Burster, Dragon (Hatchling), Glitter Boy, Juicer, Ley Line Walker, Mind Melter, Mystic, Techno Wizard, and a lot of them that are "less specific" by designation of gear/type/training are rolled into one BIG Iconic Framework called - M.A.R.S (Mercenaries, Adventurers, Rogues and Scholars). Do *not* underestimate MARS characters, they can be quite powerful in their own right.

So each Iconic Framework is *radically* more powerful than a standard SWADE character, they tend to have more raw power than actual skills (sort of), this is to allow you to get into the Rift's style of play and advance "normally" from a SWADE perspective.

In normal SWADE rules - you assign stats and skills pretty uniformly. d4 in each stat. Then you get to assign 5 points to raise your attributes. Easy peasy. You still can purchase up to 4-points of Hindrances, and 12 Skill points (including a free 1d4 in the five Core Skills).

In Rifts, your Iconic Framework OVERLAYS your normal SWADE stat-assignment. Each Iconic Framework is different, including rolls on random tables etc. Each Iconic Framework is given a brief historical write-up and "reality check" blurb that describes the reality for each Framwork to give you an idea of what life is really like in that role.

Combat Cyborg Iconic Framework Baseline
Bionic Augmentation (Combat Cyborgs begin with Str. d12+2, Agility d10, and Vigor d12 - with no attribute maximum.
Cybernetic Enhancement: Combat Cyborgs have these cybernetic systems—those asterisked (*) are already factored into starting stats and abilities: Adrenal System, Armor Plating (3)*, Audio Package, Bionic Strength Augmentation*, Core Electronics Package, Cyber-Wired Reflexes*, Internal Life Support, Nuclear Power Cell, Optics Package, Reinforced Frame (3)*, Synthetic Organ Replacement*. Cybernetics are a subsystem that you can use to customize your characters - obviously Cyborgs have a LOT of them. And yes, this is an insane amount of upgrades that should let you know that they're fucking around when they say you're a Combat Borg... you're built for war.
Harder than Steel: The full conversion Borg's construction provides +6 MDC natural Armor and +3 Toughness, which is the maximum level possible for both cybernetic Armor Plating and Reinforced Frame (see Cybernetic Enhancements, above). These Armor and Toughness bonuses do stack at their full value with any Worn Armor providing MDC Armor, but do not stack with non-MDC Armor.
High-performance Legs: Full-conversion Borgs begin with the Fleet Footed Edge.
More Machine: Borgs add +2 to recover from Shaken and Stunned, ignore one level of Wound modifiers, and possess the Internal Life Support cybernetic
enhancement: they have an internal air supply and other systems that make him immune to disease, drowning, as well as poison and grants +4 to resist
cold, heat, and radiation; see Hazards in Savage Worlds. Combat Cyborgs only require a fifth of the nutrition of a fully organic person.
Size 1 (Normal): Combat Cyborgs are big and heavy, gaining +1 Toughness from their Size.
Upgradeable: ’Borgs start with the Upgradeable Edge. (More cybernetic implant capacity)
Unarmed Combat: Combat Cyborgs deal Str+d4 Mega Damage in unarmed combat and are considered armed.

Okay so I need to reiterate here... this is the *baseline*. For "normal" Savage Worlds characters this is *fantastically* powerful to start with. And while Iconic Frameworks are not intentionally balanced against one another - they're balanced against their Palladium concept OCC, then weighted based on their powers/abilities/skills each package grants internally. PEG worked out the values of each Framework - and each one is balanced internally with "drawbacks" - but not all Iconic Frameworks are identical in value.

For example Cyborgs have these following drawbacks -

All Those Moving Parts - Basically you get no benefit from the Healing skill. You have to be Repaired with the Repair skill.
Full Conversion - Cybernetics is capped with a stat called Strain. Full Conversion uses it all up automatically. You get only extra Strain for ongoing additional mods from you Upgradeable Edge (6 more Strain) and any other Edges you pick up (Beyond the Limit) as you progress.
Gray Matter - Cyborgs only start with 2 Attribute points to spend. Not 5. And they can only be spent on Smarts and Spirit.
Heavy - You're huge. Body armor, and Power Armor needs to be reinforced and custom built for you (double costs for purchase and repair). Vehicles not refitted for Borgs give you a -2 to all checks while in them, including firing mounted weapons.
Inhuman Appearance - All Persuasion checks are -1 with most beings.
Loss of Dexterity - You're made for war. Diminished sense of touch gives you a -1 penalty to all Agility rolls and linked skills not directly related to combat.
Malfunctions - Cyborgs are subject to malfunction issues with all Technical objects and gear. If you make a Critical Failure (double 1's) you roll on the Technical Difficulty Table.
Spiritually Numb - No magic/psionics for you.

Each Iconic Framework gives you some rolls on the Heroic Journey tables - Borgs gain one roll on any of the following tables: Cybernetics, Close Combat Weapons, Ranged Weapons, and Training.Combat Cyborgs gain a second roll on any table except those dealing with magic, psionics, or Body Armor.

The Heroes Journey is essentially a Savage Rifts Lifepath system. They get a Narrative Hook roll which gives your character some background to the shit they've seen. Then each Framework will tell you on what subsequent tables you can roll on as i noted above to round out your character. Some of these options are *quite* powerful and will make your character unique.

Lastly each Iconic Framework has their own unique Edges... Borgs have access to Upgrade and Beyond the Limit - both of which greatly upgrade their Strain Capacity to slap more hardware on them until they can go full Megatron.

After allll of this... you are given starting gear, money etc. And you're off and running like any other Savage Worlds character. Just understand in Savage Rifts there's a TON of gear and Edges unique to the setting. Combat Borgs are only ONE kind of Borg... and you can even decommission yourself and try to become human again - or close to human. You have a LOT of options.

Cyber Knight
First off - as I'm not a Palladium Rifts guru, I'm only presenting it as shown here in Savage Rifts. So feel free to mentally adjust what I say with what you know from Palladium's version. Savage Rifts tries to "smooth" it all over with some specifics but mostly keeps it general. I'm not going to get into the history of each Framework unless you ask. I'm keeping it to the mechanics - which I know might evoke questions based on the assumptions of Palladium's lore. I'll answer anything specific as anyone asks from what I know in the Savage Rifts edition.

Cyber Knight Iconic Framework Baseline
Heroic Journey (Two rolls). Cyber-Knights gain one roll on any of the following tables: Education, Experience & Wisdom, Psionics, and Training.Cyber-Knights gain one roll on any table except Cybernetics and Magic & Mysticism.

Cyber-Knight's are Psionic, so they start with the Champion Edge, and may take the Holy Warrior Edge using Arcane Background: Psionics, in place of Arcane Background: Miracles, to qualify (Psionics skill replaces Faith).

Abilities
Cyber-Armor:
As a free action, Cyber-Knights can summon an organic metal shell granting +2 Toughness and allowing them to ignore Gritty Damage.
Cyberkinetic Combat: Any electronic technology-based attacks such as lasers, rail guns, and vibro-blades suffer a −2 to hit a Cyber-Knight. This ability stacks with the deflection power.
First Into Battle: Cyber-Knights begin with +2 Pace and a d10 running die; stacks with the Fleet-Footed Edge.
Intense Combat Training: A Cyber-Knight begins play with Fighting d8 and two Combat Edges (meeting all requirements except Rank).
Minor Psionic: Cyber-Knights have Arcane Background (Psionics), 10 ISP, three powers, and Psionics d6. They have access to the following powers
(Rank permitting): arcane protection, boost Trait†, darksight*, deflection*, detect/conceal arcana*, empathy, environmental protection*, healing*, object reading, protection*, relief, smite*, speak language, speed†, warrior’s gift*. Powers marked with an asterisk (*) or dagger (†), if taken, are activated as Innate Abilities usable only on the Cyber-Knight. Those marked asterisk (*) have the reduced Power Points cost from the Range (Self) limitation, while those marked dagger (†) have both the Range (Self) and Aspect limitations.
Psi-Sword: As a free action, Cyber-Knights can summon a blade of spirit and will. It may have any appearance but it does not change the effects. The Psi-Sword does Strength + Spirit × 2 damage with AP equal to Psionics (no Strength minimum). A Cyber-Knight may split his Psi-Sword into two blades, one for each hand, each blade deals the same damage but only gains half AP. For 1 ISP the blade inflicts Mega Damage for as long as it is manifested.
Revered Protectors: +1 to social checks with most people. All CK faction opponents will seek to kill the shit out of you.

Cyber-Knight Drawbacks
Code of Honor
- Basically you need to obey the CK code or you start to lose powers. Paladin mode, boys n' girls. There is a Cyber Knight Code of Chivalry in the new Foes of North America book.

Cybernetics - Basically Cyber-knights can use cybernetics, but you don't want to. For every point of Strain you slap on yourself you get -1 to all Psionic rolls.

Now... where CK's shine - that Cyberkinetic Combat is *scary good* because every CK is going to have Deflection, and will be combat oriented, laying a finger on them will be *difficult*. Plus the CK Edges with their Psi-Sword are insanely powerful as well as enhancing their Cyber Armor and Cyberkinetic Combat.

Example:
MASTER PSI-SWORD
Requirements: Veteran, Improved Psi-Sword, Psionics d10+
The Cyber-Knight can channel her inner strength into her Psi-Sword. Before rolling an attack, the player declares how many ISP to spend on damage, up to 6
points. Each point adds +2 to the damage (up to a maximum of +12). If using the split blade option, each blade gains +1 damage per ISP spent (to a maximum of +6 each).

PSI-SHIELD
Requirements: Seasoned, Cyber-Knight
Cyber-Knights with this Edge can summon a Psi-Shield, granting +3 Parry and a −4 Cover penalty to ranged strikes against her, see Shields in Savage Worlds. The Psi-Shield costs no ISP and can be summoned as a free action. While activated, the Psi-Shield can be used to bash for Str+2d4 damage, and provides the wielder's Spirit in MDC Armor if an enemy attempts to shoot through it.

MASTER CYBER-ARMOR
Requirements: Heroic, Improved Cyber-Armor
The protection of the Cyber-Armor is enhanced to +6 Toughness total. When activated while wearing Cyber-Knight medium or heavy EBA suits, the suit's
Armor bonus is MDC Armor.

There are several other CK specific Edges... but yeah, CK's are bringing a lot of heat to the table. Jedi on Gammaroids. I'd argue they make a fine template for Jedi in general.

I'll get to the Ley Line Walker after lunch. Edit: I should also mention - that these examples are from the Core SW-Rifts book. The new books give you some other options for various Iconic Frameworks, including new Edges and a ton of new gear. Plus the core rules gives you a system to create your own custom races and advice on making your own Frameworks.

Last edited:
tenbones tenbones Thanks for your explanation. I really appreciate it. But (yeah, I know), my question was more how will you Build/generate a Cyber Knight if it was your character.

As a Rifts enthusiast, and having little knowledge of SW (I have the Core book and the Rifts one but I have some difficulties to get how the chargen works), the SW version of the CK seems quite powerful even I would say that the OG Rifts feels more powerful.

Mages/Psionics

So when it comes to dedicated casters - there are certain universal rules they all obey. Whether they're Ley Line Walkers, Bursters, Elementalists, Mind Melters, or Mystics... their *core* strengths are the fact they can wield Magic/Psionics (or both). As pointed upthread in terms of the classic Palladium Rifts, the means by which you're effective as a caster in Palladium Rifts is completely a non-issue in Savage Rifts.

Mainly because one doesn't determine the number of actions taken based on melee combat skills (or even ranged ones). In accordance with SWADE rules you can up to three actions. Each action beyond the first levels a -2 per additional actions to all actions for the round. So taking three action would incur a -4 penalty. Obviously you have to declare this at the start of the turn. Also you can perform any of these actions at any point during your normal movement.

This *includes* spellcasting. Each activation of a Spell (or Power) is a discrete action. So yeah, spellcasters in Savage Rifts can be very dangerous, providing they make their checks. And there are not many Multi-Action Penalty mitigating abilities out there. So if your'e going to do it, you better be good at it.

What makes casters powerful in Savage Rifts is Mega Powers. While each Iconic Framework has access to their own distinct list of Powers (spells) if the Iconic Framework designates you as a Master of Magic/Psionics (as a free Edge - OR you acquire that respective Edge later - if you're a M.A.R.S. caster), you then get access to Mega Power Modifiers.

Effectively these Modifiers are optional tweaks to your Spells you possess that you can enact with Point Expenditure.

Example - the Mega Power modifiers for Bolt are:

BOLT
GREATER BOLT (+4):
The bolt causes 4d6 Mega Damage (5d6 with a raise).
ONSLAUGHT (+2): The bolt attack is made at Rate of Fire 2 (ignores the Recoil penalty) and may be used for Suppressive Fire (see Savage Worlds).

DEFLECTION
GREATER DEFLECTION (+3):
The penalty to attack the recipient increases to −4 (– 6 on a raise).

BARRIER
STALWART WALLS (+2):
The barrier gains +12 MDC Armor.

Most normal Powers have Mega Power modifiers (and fairly cheap - +2 points for +12MDC? yes please!) This keeps casters in line with Rifts in terms of power-level. Likewise casters in Rifts can use Meditation (for Psionics) and Rituals (for Arcane) to further modify their spells if they want to put some time into it.

So the caster-specific Iconic Frameworks modify the standard Spell Casting system.

Ley Line Walkers Baseline
Hero's Journey (Two Rolls) Walkers gain one roll on any of the following tables: Enchanted Items & Mystic Gadgets, Education, Experience & Wisdom, and
Magic & Mysticism.They also get one roll on any table of their choice, except for Psionics.

Master of Magic: Ley Line Walkers possess the following powers: arcane protection, banish, barrier, blast, blind, bolt, boost/lower Trait, burrow, burst, detect/conceal arcana, confusion, damage field, darksight, deflection, disguise, dispel, drain Power Points, elemental manipulation, entangle, environmental
protection, farsight, fear, fly, growth/shrink, havoc, healing, illusion, intangibility, invisibility, light/darkness, protection, puppet, sloth/speed, slumber, smite, sound/silence, speak language, stun, summon ally, telekinesis, teleport, wall walker,
and warrior’s gift.As Masters of Magic, Ley Line Walkers have the Mega Power Modifier options for their spells, and may choose any Trappings for their powers except Necromantic.
Arcane Academic: Walkers get double PPE when taking the Power Points Edge. When choosing New Powers (spells) Edge they gain three powers up to one rank higher than their current rank, OR they can choose one power of any Rank no normally allowed by their power list (with GM approval) and when appropriate in-game.
Arcane Background (Magic): Ley Line Walkers begin with Arcane Background (Magic), choosing five powers from the list above, the Master of Magic, Power
Points, and Rapid Recharge Edges, as well as a d6 Spellcasting skill. Ley Line Walkers begin with 20 PPE (10 PPE base, plus 10 PPE from the Power Points Edge modified by Arcane Academic)
Expanded Awareness: Ley Line Walkers have the detect arcana power as an Innate Ability with the reduced Power Points cost from both the Range (Self) and Aspect limitations. They may sense supernatural beings within line of sight with a Notice check.
Ley Line Magic Mastery: Ley Line Walkers can draw extra PPE for their rituals from ley lines, but they do so with greater advantage—they add two dice to their pool when rolling for available PPE,
Ley Line Rejuvenation: While on a ley line, a Walker gains a natural healing roll once per day.
Ley Line Sense: A Ley Line Walker can sense a ley line within 10 miles, and he can automatically tell how powerful it is, in what directions it flows, where it
meets other ley lines at nexus points, and other aspects as might apply (such as if a huge amount of its energy is being siphoned for some other purpose).

Ley Line Walker Drawbacks
Cybernetics - Every point of Strain is -1 to all spellcasting checks.
Disconnected: Basically Line Walkers are weirdos. They deal with lots of weird shit, and it rubs off and makes you a bit odd to "normal people". -1 to Persuasion checks involving those with no real occult background.
Enemies: Coalition is gonna kill you. If you're sworn fealty to the wrong people - Lord Dunscon may wanna kill you too.
Power Activators: Like all arcane casters - you need your hands free, and be able to speak in order to cast magic. If you're Entangled, Bound, silenced or muted, you can't cast shit.

So right from the drop, Ley Line Walkers are pretty stacked casters that can bring a lot to any starting party. 5 powers at minimum, with a *lot* of mods they can do to their spells make them very versatile right out of the box.

All of the other Iconic Frameworks - Bursters, Mind Melters, Mystics have Framework specific mechanics that make them unique. But they all operate off the of the standard Powers subsystem, they just each individually twist them around in their own unique way. Major demarcations are whether your'e a Minor or Major Arcane/Psionic caster.

tenbones tenbones Thanks for your explanation. I really appreciate it. But (yeah, I know), my question was more how will you Build/generate a Cyber Knight if it was your character.

As a Rifts enthusiast, and having little knowledge of SW (I have the Core book and the Rifts one but I have some difficulties to get how the chargen works), the SW version of the CK seems quite powerful even I would say that the OG Rifts feels more powerful.

AHHH. Well once you get into the saddle of Savage World Rifts, you'll see how mechanically relevant all of this stuff is in play. While it probably is more powerful in OG Rifts, I think SW Rifts abstracts a lot of that into its ruleset with fidelity.

Savage Rifts Cyber Knights are so stacked - it's hard to not screw it up. Depends a little on the setup and your Hero's Journey Rolls (depending on whether you roll randomly or not. Because there are a LOT of different character impacting possibilities on those rolls alone).

Were I building a CK I'd stack Spirit at least up to d8. I'd go d10 if possible. Fighting starts at d8 so I'd leave that as is. I don't like having any Stat at d4. So I'd raise everything to d6. Then stack Spirit and divvy the rest between Vigor and Strength. I'd improve Smarts as soon as possible and would focus on it at least until d8 or likely d10. Hindrances? Definitely 4 points. Depends on my background... but I might get Cautious, Habit (major or minor), Driven (minor), Heroic (major) are pretty solid choices for me.

The reason I'd stack Spirit is that is directly impacts your Psi-Blade. Also, don't disregard you Smarts. It's tied to your Psionics skill.

Basic Powers I'd use a lot - Deflection, Deflection, Deflection. And Raise/Lower Stat. Bread and butter.

CK's, because some of their best powers are insta-cast, and self-only, right out of the box are *very* difficult to lay a finger on. Assuming you're starting at standard d8 Fighting, that's a standard Parry of 6 not counting -2 if it's technological, and assuming once you hit Seasoned and take the Block Edge - it really gets ugly against tech-weaponry. But the reality is this- at Novice assuming your Deflect goes up, you're looking at an effective 10 Parry against non-Tech attacks. 12 against Technical attacks. If you get a Raise on your Deflect activation - it goes to 12/14 respectively.

that pretty much means you're parrying *everything* coming at you unless someone makes an insanely good roll. Due to the speed at which CK's move, and assuming you loaded up with Spirit... all you need to do is lay that Psi-Blade down, and it's all downhill from there.

That is BASELINE stats. That Psi-Blade is going to eat most armor you come up against. MOST people are using tech-based weaponry, but even if not, your Parry is going to be rock-solid against them too. Mobility, Defense, and heavy damage capacity. Lots to love with CK's on that alone... let alone their self-utility.

Basic Savage World Character Generation:

Pick a Race (if applicable)
Assign 5-points for Stats. Everything Starts at d4. Adjust for Racial bonuses/penalties.
Buy Hindrances - up to 4 points worth.
Buy Skills (Traits) - you 1 free Die in Athletics, Stealth, Persuasion, Notice, Common Knowledge. Then you have 12-points to spend on anything else. If you raise the skill above the skill's linked Stat, it cost you two points.

Calc your Derived Stats: Parry (Fighting die type/2 + 2), Size (usually 0, depends on Race and Edges), Toughness (Vigor die type/2 + 2).

Buy your Edges - You can buy them with your points from Hindrances. Or if you're a Human, you get one free Edge of your choice. Some races have starting Edges.

thaaaaats it! (Assuming your'e starting at Novice rank. A lot of people, myself included, start everyone at Seasoned).

Then you lay your Rifts Iconic Framework over that.

Last edited:
I would also recommend looking at the new Arcana and Mysticism book... where they have outlined the Psi-Warrior (and Psi-slinger, Psi-druid, and Psi-shaman). Looking at the Psi-Warrior... those guys seemed pretty badass in the OG Rifts. They can very much stand-and-bang with Cyber-Knights here too...

Their Psi-Blades are treated as Natural Weaponry. That means Edges that modify Claws and Martial Arts damage upgrade their Psi-Blade's damage... That's some nasty business. Perhaps more offensive than a CK... but not shabby in their defensive capabilities either.

On the Psi-Warrior.. the base damage for Psi-Blade is Str+Sma; if you take Brawler, Bruiser, Martial Artist, and Martial Warrior, would that be Str+(Sma +4 die types)? That seems to be the way it reads to me; which is pretty amazingly powerful. (Str+d12 AP12 if you put NOTHING into Sma or Psionics...)

I actually liked the idea of the cyberkinetic abilities (which I encountered in Savage Rifts — missed out on the Tolkeen stuff) because they put the “cyber” back on the Cyber-Knights, who were really only (mildly) psionic warriors with a cyber-armor implant.

I am also happy to learn that Psi-Warriors are getting some Savage Rifts love, because to be perfectly honest, I find them a better fit for the “Rifts Jedi” spot than the Cyber-Knights themselves. I am quite fond of the Psyscape character classes in general.

On the Psi-Warrior.. the base damage for Psi-Blade is Str+Sma; if you take Brawler, Bruiser, Martial Artist, and Martial Warrior, would that be Str+(Sma +4 die types)? That seems to be the way it reads to me; which is pretty amazingly powerful. (Str+d12 AP12 if you put NOTHING into Sma or Psionics...)

Yep. It's crazy powerful. More offensive in potential than a CK - but a CK has a bit more defense. But I don't think it detracts from the game at all... I mean have you seen the Dragonling Iconic Framework? LOLOL Now you can be different kinds of Dragons too...

In total - I think SW Rifts lives up to the over-the-top nature of OG Rifts. Unabashedly so.

I actually liked the idea of the cyberkinetic abilities (which I encountered in Savage Rifts — missed out on the Tolkeen stuff) because they put the “cyber” back on the Cyber-Knights, who were really only (mildly) psionic warriors with a cyber-armor implant.

I am also happy to learn that Psi-Warriors are getting some Savage Rifts love, because to be perfectly honest, I find them a better fit for the “Rifts Jedi” spot than the Cyber-Knights themselves. I am quite fond of the Psyscape character classes in general.
Yeah. They put a LOT of the Psyscape stuff into the Arcana and Mysticism book. Which surprised me. They have managed to sneak a lot of non-obvious contents into these books.

I'm super pleased with all the random tables, and generators they packed in. The "lifepath" stuff with the Hero's Journey. The "smoothing" out of the history so I don't have to run into the issues a lot of the OG Rifts players had issues with. It's really like an alternate reality Rifts where things make more sense.

Sure it has some meta - but it doesn't beat you over the head with it. It's got large setpieces designed to be toyed with sandbox-style.

Yep. It's crazy powerful. More offensive in potential than a CK - but a CK has a bit more defense. But I don't think it detracts from the game at all... I mean have you seen the Dragonling Iconic Framework? LOLOL Now you can be different kinds of Dragons too...

In total - I think SW Rifts lives up to the over-the-top nature of OG Rifts. Unabashedly so.

Doesn't the Cyberknight get double their spirit die on Damage and Psionics Skill in penetration? It seems the damage could scale higher than what's being described for the Psi Warrior and Penetration would be on par.

I'm glad they didn't do their usual "3 and out" approach and are actually going to support Savage Rifts.

Still, I bought the damn boxed set and now they redo the whole thing.

I'm still waiting for the Cyber part. There's nothing in the class that is. It stops tech, including cybernetics. So what part of this is 'Cyber' to you? I sincerely want to know.

I never understood the idea that Cyber-Knights were 'Rift Jedi', but you're not the first person to anecdotally tell me that. The class never struck me as mystical or monk-like.

Doesn't the Cyberknight get double their spirit die on Damage and Psionics Skill in penetration? It seems the damage could scale higher than what's being described for the Psi Warrior and Penetration would be on par.

The primary difference is (looking it up) this: CK's Psi-Swords are not considered Natural Weapons for them. So they don't get those Edges (Brawler, Bruiser, Martial Artist, and Martial Warrior) to increase their Psi-Swords damage. Notice they even name it something different - Psi-Sword for CK's vs. Psi-Blade for Psi-Warriors.

That said - CK's do get to improve their damage *significantly* with their own CK-specific Edges: Improved Psi-Sword, Master Psi-Sword)

With Improved Psi-Sword, CK's do Strength x2 AND Spirit x2 with AP equal to Psionics skill die X2!
With Master Psi-Sword - the CK can channel ISP into their Psi-Sword and pump it up to 6 ISP points. Each point spent does +2 Damage up to a maximum of 12.

Yeah... the Edge progression is pretty close. On its face... I think it's pretty neck and neck. They're both super-dangerous. And neither of these progressions require Heroic or Legendary rank. That's how high-octane SW Rifts is. Which is right in line with OG Rifts.

There are some ancillary benefits to the Psi-Warrior's schtick since all those Martial Edges impact other aspects of combat outside of their Psi-Blade. But I'd consider that more utility than anything else. I'd rock either one of these without hesitation, in a campaign.Both have excellent flavor and in-game history to do cool heroic stuff against all the bad guys that exist in the setting.

The primary difference is (looking it up) this: CK's Psi-Swords are not considered Natural Weapons for them. So they don't get those Edges (Brawler, Bruiser, Martial Artist, and Martial Warrior) to increase their Psi-Swords damage. Notice they even name it something different - Psi-Sword for CK's vs. Psi-Blade for Psi-Warriors.

That said - CK's do get to improve their damage *significantly* with their own CK-specific Edges: Improved Psi-Sword, Master Psi-Sword)

With Improved Psi-Sword, CK's do Strength x2 AND Spirit x2 with AP equal to Psionics skill die X2!
With Master Psi-Sword - the CK can channel ISP into their Psi-Sword and pump it up to 6 ISP points. Each point spent does +2 Damage up to a maximum of 12.

Yeah... the Edge progression is pretty close. On its face... I think it's pretty neck and neck. They're both super-dangerous. And neither of these progressions require Heroic or Legendary rank. That's how high-octane SW Rifts is. Which is right in line with OG Rifts.

There are some ancillary benefits to the Psi-Warrior's schtick since all those Martial Edges impact other aspects of combat outside of their Psi-Blade. But I'd consider that more utility than anything else. I'd rock either one of these without hesitation, in a campaign.Both have excellent flavor and in-game history to do cool heroic stuff against all the bad guys that exist in the setting.
Yeah, I was just coming off playing a cyber-knight in Palladium, and I was thinking about something else, but it seems like they'd be pretty capable as a melee combatant. Or I might go with a Juicer and see about tossing that Burnout die on everything. Or a Borg and just be on par with robotics. I already was messing around with the robot building rules in the EOH book, they're... fun.

Arcane Construct Transferred Intelligence with the ability to learn/use spells? Hmm.

I'm still waiting for the Cyber part. There's nothing in the class that is. It stops tech, including cybernetics. So what part of this is 'Cyber' to you? I sincerely want to know.

There is nothing cyber about a CK. They address this in the following blurb.

1591393223706.png

I never understood the idea that Cyber-Knights were 'Rift Jedi', but you're not the first person to anecdotally tell me that. The class never struck me as mystical or monk-like.

Eh, they're more like Knights of the Round Table with Lightsabers. Part of it is all the psionic disciplines etc. And you know... light-sabers.

But in play I'd never tell a player "they're Jedi". They're more like futuristic paladins.

Psi-Warriors have a more "Jedi" vibe to them as described... but even there it's thin. It's the lightsaber thing. It's unavoidable.

There is nothing cyber about a CK. They address this in the following blurb.

View attachment 18706

Yeah, I know about that. That's the part that broke my little mind. It's the sudden shift to make them an almost purely Anti-Coalition force. Despite the CK being around at least three times longer.

Eh, they're more like Knights of the Round Table with Lightsabers. Part of it is all the psionic disciplines etc. And you know... light-sabers.

But in play I'd never tell a player "they're Jedi". They're more like futuristic paladins.

That's what I do. And I'll harp on this to my dying day, I was told that I actually made Paladins cool.

Psi-Warriors have a more "Jedi" vibe to them as described... but even there it's thin. It's the lightsaber thing. It's unavoidable.
Can you parry lasers blasts with them? No one has ever answer that for me...

I'm glad they didn't do their usual "3 and out" approach and are actually going to support Savage Rifts.

Still, I bought the damn boxed set and now they redo the whole thing.

Yeah... it stung. But the new books are worth it. The total set of books currently offers any decent a GM, years and years worth of potential gameplay. The format of the books are fairly light on metaplot (but it's there), they don't beat you over the head with it. What they do excellently is give a lot of nuanced context to even the darker stuff in the setting without shying away from it.

Especially the Coalition. It's too easy for everyone to yell Space Nazis and poo-poo them because of what happened in the Palladium Rifts metaplot. Here, they just lay it out and they do make it known that *life sucks* but the alternative is a serious risky endeavor. And it is. Leaving humanity behind to go find some community that pretends D-Bee society and Human society can coexist peacefully in mutual cooperation is intensely naive (but it IS possible) - those communities DO exist. But much of the horrid propaganda of the Coalition has elements of truth in it as well. The assumptions of the regular populace *is* that without the Coalition, humanity will fall.

There is a lot of evidence to support that as truth IF everyday people really knew the truth, but they don't. Even the Coalition doesn't know how bad it *actually* is. That's the fucked up part. That's also the part where Coalition players can decide to jump ship, or buckle up and double-down as CS members. All of it makes for awesome gaming!

But the Coalition are an Nazi analog. And like the real political party of our past, it's just the LEADERS that are the real bad guys, the populace are just dupes who believed in them. And they're meant to be used like the Pulp equivalent, as general goons to beat up and blast.

So, here's that Arcane Android I just mentioned. I think, from reading it, that it's not allowed to take another Iconic Framework (They list a Robot as an IF), so it would pretty much just start with picking stats, hindrances, edges and skills, like any other baseline character, but it's pretty fun looking.

Code:
Base Construction Mods: -24
Construct (+2 vs shaken, ignore 1 point of wound penalties doesn't breathe, immune to disease + poison, wounds are repaired not healed)(0)
Inorganic (Cyberware doesn't work)(0)
Outsider(Major)(No legal protections, -2 persuasion if discovered)(0)
Core Directive (Major)(Driven - Find origins; change to Destroy Federation of Magic if origin story is discovered)(0)
Wanted (Major) (Will be hunted by multiple organizations based on construct, magic, etc)(0)
Malfunctions (Subject to breakdowns under extreme stress) (See Technical Difficulties)(0)

Transferred Intelligence (May improve social skills and learn Arcane Backgrounds)(0)

Tech Base: Arcane System (Must spend 5 PPE to operate each day or gain a level of fatigue. Use Occult or Spellcasting to repair)(-4)

Medium Frame(0)
Legs(0)
Improved Senses (+2 Notice Rolls, Ignore Dim/Dark Illumination Mods)(1)
Lifelike Android(0)
Standard Vocal Unit(0)

Obscure Construction (-2 to repair rolls)(-2)
Weakness (Necromancy) (+4 to damage from Necromantic Trapping Attacks, -4 to resist)(-1)

Subtotal Mods: -6

Total Construction Mods: -30

Automated Repair Unit (Make a Vigor roll 1x per day to repair wounds or injuries, gains +4 to avoid Bleeding Out)(2)

Pace (x3) (+6 Pace, +3 die types to run die. Total Pace 12+1d12)(3)
Martial Artist (+1 Fighting, +1 die type to H-H damage/claws)(1)
    Martial Warrior (+1 Fighting, +1 die type to H-H damage/claws)(1)
Brawler (+1 Toughness, +1 die type to H-H damage/claws)(1)
Two-Fisted (Make a second attack with off-hand without 2nd action penalty)(1)
Ambidextrious (Ignore off-hand penalty)(1)
Integrated Weapon (TW Magic Claws; Str+1d6 AP6 base. Paired, "linked," (+1 parry, +2 dmg if not taking multiple acitons), 1 PPE grants +2 Fighting and deals Mega-Damage)(2)
(Total Damage with Claws = Str+d12 AP6, 1 PPE = MD)
Arcane Background: Magic (10 PPE, 3 Powers)(1)
Power Points (+5 PPE)(1)
Rapid Recharge (+5 PPE per hour resting)(1)

+2 Str (2)
+2 Vig (2)
+2 Agi (2)

+8 Skills(Counts as 2 skill raises if less than attribute) (8)
    +3 Fighting
    +3 Spellcasting
    +2 Performance
    +3 Notice
    +3 Athletics
    +2 Stealth

Subtotal Points Spent = 30

Race Balance = 0

Edit: Honestly, I think that's the one I'm going to go with.

Yeah, I know about that. That's the part that broke my little mind. It's the sudden shift to make them an almost purely Anti-Coalition force. Despite the CK being around at least three times longer.

Take this with a grain of salt. As *I* read it... and this is not some official statement of how it IS supposed to be played... - but this issue seems to be more of a CS problem than a CK issue. And there are several major examples of the CS in the SW Rifts books looking the other way, and even teaming up with D-Bees, even hiring arcane/psionic characters they'd ordinarily kill, to work alongside the CS. Now what most people think of the CS as the Evil Empire... is largely true in the major cities (Chi-Town, etc.) But once you're out in the territories, where CS troops are dealing with shit that wants to eat CS, wizard, CK alike... they aren't as trigger-happy against their D-Bee or Magic/Psionic using populace (mostly, but not always).

And it makes sense. Makes for good roleplaying tension too on both sides of the coin. I know if I were some Atlantean Ley Line Walker with some non-CS friendly PC pals... doing stuff, running across a CS patrol in the woods of Michigan isn't exactly a tension relieving experience. But it's not necessarily a shoot-out to the death either (but it might be, that's half the potential fun).

That's what I do. And I'll harp on this to my dying day, I was told that I actually made Paladins cool.
Well you should stand vindicated. Because that's the vibe I get here. And I agree - Paladins do not, and have not gotten enough love in fantasy games. I'll run my CK's like this too.

BTW - there is an Edge for CK's to transform their Psi-Swords into any kind of weapon they want, which grants them the abilities of that weapon-type (among other things). Plus the Edge Psi-Shield, a literal shield of psychic energy. The Paladin fans can go WILD! A Psi-Zweihander, or a Morningstar/Battle Axe and Shield? I'm in.

Can you parry lasers blasts with them? No one has ever answer that for me...

So... it doesn't say they can. But I'll add this: SW doesn't much care how you wanna describe it. They've always been like that. Parry is merely the designation for melee attacks coming at you and the number you have to beat in order to hit the person (and it assumes they're aware of the attack). How you as a player or GM envision what you're *actually* doing to justify that Parry... when someone with a greatsword whiffs, while you're only armed with a knife, and a high-Fighting score, is up to you.

And the same goes with Ranged attacks - where your standard Target Number is 4. But you might grant penalties to attack for different Edges, maneuvers etc. or Powers that justify an increase to that number.

Case in point - Deflection is described as doing Bullet Time, or physically parrying or whatever your "schtick" is. The net effect is the same mechanical benefit. So you know... it's up to you. Me, I'll let'em do it. Just like if someone is rocking a Light-Shield I want the players, after a hail of laser-fire, to know their shield deflected full-auto laser fire and feel awesome as it tears up the area around them.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back