Future State (DC Heroes; play-by-post; 1+ players)

So far I have Changeling, Whispernaught, Booster Gold, Fenris’ sorcerer, and who else? I think five is the most I can probably comfortably handle.

So far I have Changeling, Whispernaught, Booster Gold, Fenris’ sorcerer, and who else? I think five is the most I can probably comfortably handle.
Stating the obvious (more tactful in a PM)...I jumped in early, but I don't have the bandwidth. Apologies for not being explicit sooner. (That guy who ghosts, is not quite as bad as that guy, but still... )

Oh, that’s fine Mosker Mosker. I know some people show interest but it’s not written in stone or anything. Thank you.

OK, here's the rough cut of the winter knight. He's more of a beatstick than the exemplar but less of a sorcerer. I added the detective bit and generally gave him some Dresden-like fluff. Essentially he's a fix-it guy for the Unseelie Court, which is sometimes unsavory, and his hero gig is an attempt to balance the scales.

1712097230025.png

OK, here's the rough cut of the winter knight. He's more of a beatstick than the exemplar but less of a sorcerer. I added the detective bit and generally gave him some Dresden-like fluff. Essentially he's a fix-it guy for the Unseelie Court, which is sometimes unsavory, and his hero gig is an attempt to balance the scales.

View attachment 80242
Looks good, how many points? You could probably add Magic Field/Shield, Blast, and Sense to have things already available that doesn't make you suffer so much/beat you up every time. Also with a name like Winter Knight, you might want to add an Ice power (because comic readers wouldn't get it otherwise.) After all early on Dresden did a lot of fire blasting, but that's up to you.

Is Winterknight superhuman or does he wear a set of armor? I notice his strength and body are above human maximum. I’m trying to get a handle on how his powers work.

It's about 2000 at the mo. Well, 1940 plus whatever 3 wealth costs. I am certainly open to suggestions.

Is Winterknight superhuman or does he wear a set of armor? I notice his strength and body are above human maximum. I’m trying to get a handle on how his powers work.
The additional physical stats are part of the mantle of the winter knight not an effect of the armour (so I guess superhuman?). I wanted to link the instachange to the Skin Armor power. Also part of the mantle, but only available when he puts on his work clothes so to speak.

Gotcha. Ok, so it’s just that one power and it’s like mystically linked plus he’s just got those physical stats.

Gotcha. Ok, so it’s just that one power and it’s like mystically linked plus he’s just got those physical stats.
Hmm. Yes and no. The sorcery isn't related to the Mantle of Winter or linked to it. The Mantle is what ties him to the Sidhe and it provides physical stats beyond what he had before, as well as the insta-armor linked to the Skin Armor power. His physical stats without the mantle would be 4/3/3.

I had a few other minor ideas, mostly to reinforce the winter theme, but nothing major. I wanted to make sure I was in the right ballpark before I went any further. Anything else would also be linked to the Mantle, which is something he could lose, although he's have to really piss someone off for that to happen (i.e. you have permission to mess with me if you like on that).

I didn't write the Winter Mantle up as an item because it can't really be lost or damaged. It can only be taken back by Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. I'll take my lumps if that comes up. Linking the Skin Armor power to the instachange thing just seemed cool.

When he turns it off does he lose the physical bumps in stats? Like Billy Batson from Captain Marvel? Then he would have the Alter Ego drawback.

When he turns it off does he lose the physical bumps in stats? Like Billy Batson from Captain Marvel? Then he would have the Alter Ego drawback.
The only thing that 'turns off' in the armour. I was thinking about linking the Mistrust drawback to the armor, as it's the Winter Knight that people freak out about a little, not Sean O'Neal, sorcerer. I open to various ways to make this work. Realizing a concept can be tough when the rules are still new (to me).

The armour is not the Mantle btw, the Mantle is the blessing of Mab, not a thing per se. The sidhe angle doesn't need to play in btw, I just liked the story.

If his stats are 4/3/3 without the mantle, then it’s an Alter Ego.

Drawback: Alter Ego (controllable); Mistrust (Winter Knight only)

If his stats are 4/3/3 without the mantle, then it’s an Alter Ego.

Drawback: Alter Ego (controllable); Mistrust (Winter Knight only)
If you think that's best. I just pulled those stats out of my ass. Do you want the physical buffs linked to the armor and hence Winter Knight persona as well?

On the ice theme I was thinking some low-key levels in cold resistance and ice production (not enough to slide around like Ice Man, but maybe enough to ice a hallway or trap a mook).

I don't think I've ever seen a skill that has a write up two pages long before. Lots to learn.

Yeah, the skills in DC would be considered three to five skills in other systems.

Oh, on that note, does one really have to invest points in land vehicles simply to be able to drive a car? My doode is un-rich and I don't want to have to take the subway to all the hero gigs.

No, you can use your attribute rating with a -2 to AV/OV on skill checks with untrained skills. So if you had a Dex of 5/6, you would check with a Dex 1/2 on the action chart. The vehicle skills are for chases and the like, not normal driving.

Oh, on that note, does one really have to invest points in land vehicles simply to be able to drive a car? My doode is un-rich and I don't want to have to take the subway to all the hero gigs.

Unless a subskill has an asterisk next to it, it can be used unskilled with a -2 Column Shift penalty. And that would really only apply to stuff like stunt driving, not day-to-day stuff. Most regular NPCs wouldn't actually have the Vehicles skill.

A professional race car driver would have the vehicle skill at probably 4 AP, maybe 5 if they were one of the best. Superheroes have more because they are superheroes.

I did think about a flying ghost horse made of snow and darkness but it seemed like a bridge too far.

Maybe something more like this:

1712183110915.png

It’s not difficult to figure it out. I can post it tomorrow and let you see what I mean.
So, how about that professional exemplar? I can crunch power numbers fine, but all that linking and shit gives me the agita.

Maybe something more like this:

View attachment 80295
...not a costume, more like a Warhammer cosplay ;D *LOL* How about? Also not a costume but?

knight_of_shadows_by_silverlion_d4hie6-375w-2x.jpg

Or something like this guy: Actual Marvel villain/anti hero
in mail and with the Ebony Blade!
15741.jpg

Or the actual Black KNight:

images.jpg

Before his anime-esque transformation (or his grimmer version)

Last edited:
Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back