G.I.Joe: The New Recruits (M&M2)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Attack bonuses and defense bonuses can top out at +6, even with feats included. Neither attack or defense has any attribute modifiers.

At PL6 it’s:

Attributes: 32 max
Attack/Defense: +6 max
Toughness: +6 max
Saving Throws: +11 max
Skill Ranks: 11 max

Last edited:
Attack bonuses and defense bonuses can top out at +6, even with feats included. Neither attack or defense has any attribute modifiers.

At PL6 it’s:

Attributes: 32 max
Attack/Defense: +6 max
Toughness: +6 max
Saving Throws: +11 max
Skill Ranks: 11 max
I understand the PL limits and how you have to pay for attack/defense (ability scores do not contribute). What I found confusing was that both the Commando and Navy SEAL templates punch above their PL5 attack limit through feats. Are you saying that's not allowed or am I not understanding something?

I did see that in the book, which confused me too. I’m not sure if it’s a mistake. I just know that when I double checked at several places, they said you can’t go higher than the PL of the campaign, which in our case is 6. I’d have to check again but some of those write-ups may be using a trade-off as well.

So basically the gist what I am saying is that if you have an Attack +6 (+7 ranged), that’s going to have to be reduced because the Feat or pushing it above a +6. Either the Attack is reduced to +5 or the Feat is removed.

So far I love these characters!

So basically the gist what I am saying is that if you have an Attack +6 (+7 ranged), that’s going to have to be reduced because the Feat or pushing it above a +6. Either the Attack is reduced to +5 or the Feat is removed.

So far I love these characters!
Understood. I removed Attack Focus (ranged) and swapped it for Instant Up. I am also going to drop Improved Critical for more sensible Leadership. Thanks for clarifying.

Edit: I am thinking of dropping the M203 to get more feats focused on silent takedowns, stealth, and evasion. On the other hand sometimes the mission calls for going in quiet but coming out loud. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Silverlion Silverlion

Your attributes are 27.

Combat is 20.

Your saves are 11.

Your skills are 59 ranks, so you’ll need to add another rank for a total of 15. Also we are not using the Demolition skill. That is covered under Craft (chemical), if I’m not mistaken.

Feats are 26 but you are paying too much for the Dog. Sidekick should only cost you 4 points. Benefit (security clearance) is only one point. So you have 19 points by my count.

Total of 92 points by my count.

I added a M&M 2E FAQ file by Steve Kenson to the Google folder for frequently asked questions.

Since a friend is talking about running GI Joe (official game.) I'm going to swap for animal handler. since that role in his game is semi-taken. Apologies if I'm waffling, just don't want to steal someone's thunder

Code Name: Watchdog

File Name: Rockwell, Tyler

Primary Military Specialty: MWD Dog Handler (MOS 31 K)

Secondary Military Specialty: Ordinance Disposal

Animal Handler
Power Level 5

Str 12 Dex 16 Con 13 Int 16 Wis 12 Cha 18 27 Points

Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Bluff 4 (+8), Climb 2 (+3), Concentration 5 (+6), Diplomacy 1 (+7), Craft Chemical 2 (+5), Disable Device 3 (+6), Gather Information 2 (+6), Handle Animal 8 (+12), Intimidate 4 (+8), Knowledge (behavioral sciences) 2 (+4), Knowledge (current event) 2 (+4), Knowledge (life sciences) 1 (+3), Knowledge (tactics) 2 (+4), Medicine 2 (+3), Notice 4 (+5), Ride 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+5), Stealth 3 (+6), Survival 4 (+5), Swim 2 (+3) 60 points but I need to make sure the boosted int is included in the total.

Feats: Animal Empathy, Assessment, Benefit (Rank 2), : Benefit (Security Clearance (G.I.Joe 1), , Endurance, Equipment 6, Inspire, Sidekick 4 (Dog), Speak with Animal*, Teamwork *A limited version of the Comprehend (Animals) power as a feat; see the Mastermind’s Manual for details.

Combat: Attack +5, Damage +1 (unarmed), Grapple +6, Defense +5 (+3 flatfooted), Knockback –0, Initiative +3 Saving Throws: Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Reflex +8,Will +6

Gear: SMG (12 points), Pistol (6), (body armor (Toughness +2, 2 points), Comlink/Walkie Talkie/Cellphone (not sure what we're using; 1 point), night vision goggles (1 point), Binoculars (1), handcuffs (1)

I hope that math is right...
I'm now coming at 104-105 so something isn't adding up right now. Is that right?

I see 27+15+20+20+13=95. What else are you counting? You have 61 ranks in skills, instead of 60.

I actually only count 19 in feats right now as of your last update.

If no one else is interested, did you guys just want to roll with three of you or did you want an NPC tagalong? I know some groups don’t like that but it’s totally up to you.

If no one else is interested, did you guys just want to roll with three of you or did you want an NPC tagalong? I know some groups don’t like that but it’s totally up to you.
I was hoping we could get a 4th but wouldn't turn up my nose at an NPC teammate. What do you think, guys?

If anyone needs me to help fill in their character, let me know.

Bump up your Strength and Constitution to 14. That takes care of three points. I’ll think about the other points.

Please! Suggestions welcome!
First of all, I liked your ability score and feats choices. My hot take is that he's a genius who knows how to read people. That, plus his feats of well-informed, connected and contacts, tells me this guy is a world-class HUMINT operator. His skills suggest a polymath who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. This isn’t your typical deskbound intelligence officer.

If you have points to burn, Luck is a solid feat that is appropriate for just about any comic book hero. Page 121 of M&M will show you all the things that Hero Points can do. If I decide to ditch Swamp Cat's M203 for 3 more feats a rank in Luck would definitely be one of them.

Master Plan is pretty sweet and allows you to be Hannibal from the A-Team. You execute a crazy genius plan and buff the entire team with a bonus that "is not subject to power level limits."

Last edited:
HEARTBEAT Medic
File Name Spencer, Aaron
Primary Military Specialty US Army Doctor
Secondary Military Specialty Cryptography
Birthplace Tacoma, WA
Grade O-3

Power Level 6
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 14

Saves Toughness +4 (+2 flat-footed), Fortitude +5(4), Reflex +6(3), Will +7(2)

Combat Attack +4, Defense +6

Skills Computers 4 (+7), Concentration 7 (+12), Diplomacy 2 (+4), Gather Information 2 (+4), Intimidate 2 (+4), Investigate 2 (+5), Knowledge (behavioral sciences) 4 (+7), Knowledge (Life sciences) 7 (+10), Knowledge (Cryptography) 4 (+7), Medicine 10 (+15), Notice 6 (+11), Profession (doctor) 6 (+11), Search 2 (+5), Sense Motive 2 (+7)

Feats Assessment, Benefit (rank) 3, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Distract, Equipment 8, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Defense, Improvised Tools, Luck 2, Security Clearance (G.I.Joe), Skill Mastery (Concentration, Knowledge (life sciences), Medicine, Profession (doctor)), Teamwork, Ultimate Effort (Medicine skill checks), Well Informed

Power Points: Abilities 29, Saves 9, Combat 20, Skills 15 (60 ranks), Feats 27, Total 100.

That's what I got so far. I still have I think 12 points to spend however I am not clear if I have calculated skill totals properly. Suggestions welcome.

Everything looks fine except that you cannot buy your Toughness save up except for buying up your Constitution or buying ranks of the Defensive Roll feat. So your Toughness base is +1 because of your 13 Con. You can use those three points and buy Con up to 14 and buy two ranks of Defensive Roll for a total Toughness of +4.

Bunch, I would take the Skill Mastery feat for some of your medical skills. Defensive Attack, Distract, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Defense, and Teamwork are good feats for medical PCs.

HEARTBEAT
File Name
Spencer, Aaron
Primary Military Specialty US Army Doctor
Secondary Military Specialty Cryptography
Birthplace Tacoma, WA
Grade O-3

Power Level 6
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 14

Saves Toughness +3(3), Fortitude +5(4), Reflex +6(3), Will +5(0)

Combat Attack +4, Defense +6

Skills Computers 4 (+7), Concentration 5 (+10), Diplomacy 2 (+4), Gather Information 2 (+4), Intimidate 2 (+4), Investigate 2 (+5), Knowledge (behavioral sciences) 2 (+5), Knowledge (Life sciences) 5 (+8),Knowledge (Cryptography) 4 (+8), Medicine 10 (+15), Notice 6 (+11), Profession (doctor) 4 (+9), Search 2 (+5), Sense Motive 2 (+7),

Feats Assessment, Benefit (rank) 3, Equipment 8, Improvised Tools, Luck 2, Security Clearance (G.I.Joe), Ultimate Effort (Medicine skill checks), Well Informed

Power Points: Abilities 28, Saves 10, Combat 20, Skills 13 (52 ranks), Feats 18, Total 89.

That's what I got so far. I still have I think 12 points to spend however I am not clear if I have calculated skill totals properly. Suggestions welcome.
Nice. Heartbeat can execute a flawless battlefield tracheotomy using only the contents of his wallet and a key chain.

The Pit II
G.I.Joe Headquarters
Size: Huge; Toughness: 15; Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Fire prevention System, Garage, Gym, Hanger, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Pool, Power System, Security System, Workshop; Cost: 21 points
5D6B0A6D-53C6-44F3-8A84-AA6BA2486B0E.jpeg

Bunch, I would take the Skill Mastery feat for some of your medical skills. Defensive Attack, Distract, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Defense, and Teamwork are good feats for medical PCs.
I'll update the character with said feats and above attribute skill selections when I get a chance.

I'll update the character with said feats and above attribute skill selections when I get a chance.
Ok I mostly updated it but handwaved on skill mastery because I don't have the books handy

Skill Mastery: Choose four skills. When making checks with those skills, you can take 10 even when distracted or under pressure. This feat does not allow you to take 10 with skills that do not normally allow you to do so. Each additional rank applies Skill Mastery to four more skills.

I haven't seen the pic of The Pit since I was ten years old and had completely forgotten that GI Joe had access to a nuke!

I haven't seen the pic of The Pit since I was ten years old and had completely forgotten that GI Joe had access to a nuke!
To be fair it was the 80s. We all had nukes. I think I had one attached to my lawn darts.

Anymore for my Dog-dude? I need to wrap up, just been dealing with science (medical) and some sorrow (my mom's dog :sad: )

When the team is on adventures, they will have a 100 point equipment pool to use for spare weapons, equipment and any vehicles they use.

When the team is on adventures, they will have a 100 point equipment pool to use for spare weapons, equipment and any vehicles they use.
That's a great idea. Unless any of the team thinks the extra firepower is critical I am going to ditch the M203 grenade launcher. It's a pretty sweet piece of hardware but I figure we can requisition it from the armory if the mission calls for it.

Yeah, your personal equipment list is stuff that would be on your person at almost any time out in the field. The other stuff can be requisitioned during the missions if needed.

@ Endless Flight Endless Flight

My goal for Swamp Cat is someone who low-crawl into position for a non-lethal takedown of a sentry. To that end I took Improved Pin, Choke Attack, and Prone Fighting along with Skill Mastery for Stealth. Do I need another feat to complete this package?

Since a friend is talking about running GI Joe (official game.) I'm going to swap for animal handler. since that role in his game is semi-taken. Apologies if I'm waffling, just don't want to steal someone's thunder

Code Name: Watchdog

File Name: Rockwell, Tyler

Primary Military Specialty: MWD Dog Handler (MOS 31 K)

Secondary Military Specialty: Ordinance Disposal

Animal Handler
Power Level 6

Attributes: Str 16 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 18

Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Bluff 4 (+8), Climb 2 (+3), Concentration 5 (+6), Craft (chemical) 2 (+4), Diplomacy 2 (+6), Disable Device 3 (+5), Gather Information 2 (+6), Handle Animal 8 (+12), Intimidate 4 (+8), Knowledge (behavioral sciences) 2 (+4), Knowledge (current event) 2 (+4), Knowledge (life sciences) 2 (+4), Knowledge (tactics) 2 (+4), Medicine 2 (+3) Notice 4 (+5), Ride 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+5), Stealth 2 (+5), Survival 4 (+5), Swim 2 (+5)

Feats: Animal Empathy, Assessment, Benefit (Rank 2), Benefit (Security Clearance: G.I.Joe), Defensive Roll 2, Endurance, Equipment 6, Inspire, Sidekick 4 (animal companion), Speak with Animal*, Teamwork

*A limited version of the Comprehend (Animals) power as a feat; see the Mastermind’s Manual for details.

Combat: Attack +5, Damage +1 (unarmed), Grapple +6, Defense +5 (+2 flatfooted), Knockback –0, Initiative +3

Saving Throws: Toughness +6 (+4 flat-footed), Fortitude +6, Reflex +8, Will +6

Abilities 30 + Skills 16 (64 ranks) + Feats 20 + Combat 20 + Saves 14

Gear: SMG (12 points), Pistol (6), (body armor (Toughness +2, 2 points), Walkie Talkie (1 point), night vision goggles (1 point), Binoculars (1), handcuffs (1)

I hope that math is right...
Ok Silverlion Silverlion. This should be 100 points. You’ll have to come up with a name for your pooch.

Are we in the modern era, or 1980's I believe you said after a certain comic but didn't know if you were moving it to modern day setting, or that year? I need it for detailing specific gear. Watchdog's dog is Looker because she's not so pretty, but she knows her job.

April, 1984 is the specific month and year.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back