Galaxies In Shadow

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
And I built a table of contents! I also found that somehow the organisms and star systems chapters wound up in the middle of the technology chapter so I fixed that.

Next up, probably finish building some settings I've written up over the years and play with it a bit.

In the longer term there's illustrating it. I've got lots of art but I'd like to do a consistent, clean, sharp line-drawing style for the whole book.

I'll be breaking it down into a basic book and supplements too. That way I can illustrate it in sections but the core is done but breaking it into modules also provides the oportunity to fill in areas that need some more detail and structure.

Marketing and selling it? I don't know. I don't want to fall into the supplement and editon mill trap that so many game companies fall into. Sure I'd like to make some money from my work but I don't want to develop the kind of infrastructure that forces creators to ruin their games with endless development churning.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Annnnd Word Perfect's table feature scrambled the weapon and armor tables some how. I hate when it does that. If you wonder why I use tabs instead of tables it's because Word Perfect's tables are busy trying to be a spread sheet and all smart and shit instead of being a good way to display data.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've fixed it. I don't know why, when, or how it happens but sometimes it just autosums the entire table and makes a mess.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If I strip out the races, alien generation, world generation, non-adventurer careers, and any activities outside of combat I can get it down to 100 pages. That would let me do modules or integrate a setting. I don't know, is it better as a monster rules volume? I generally feel those are better for fans of existing systems and not so good for people coming in. If I cut a bit more, it'd be down to 96 pages which is about the limit for a saddle stitched volume. Which would work for a boxed set. On the other hand the other stuff it covers is what makes Galaxies In Shadow stand out. When you look at it and say, "why would I play this overly complex percentile sf game when I could play BRP," my answer is that there are rules for building colonies, overthrowing governments, robbing banks, and developing new technologies.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well, I got some playtesting in today. I wasn't as prepared as I'd like as I spent the afternoon debugging a star system generating javascript. So much for generating a sector with the push of a button. Oh well, it'll get there and I'll learn something by doing it. Anyhow, I've got the one player who can't ever seem to wrap his head around things and he had an awful time of it. I feel bad. But the other player pretty much made his character without much direction. We didn't get much play in but the one guy made a governor of a utopia world. Naturally it's the most horrible prison planet I could dream up and the utopia society is up in idyllic arcologies up in the mountains.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I googled Galaxies In Shadow and it came up with an rpg.net Art of Game Design thread from 2006 which had the original draft of the interpersonal rules, which had these personality trait based modifiers to activities.

Aggressive
mutually exclusive with Friendly
+10 to, Bargain, Force, Intimidate, and Melee Attacks
-10 to Befriend, Request, Seduce, and Parrying

Brave
mutually exclusive with cowardly
+10 to resist Fear
Must make a Willpower roll to exercise discretion in the face of insurmountable odds

Calm
mutually exclusive with Temperamental
+10 to resist panicking
-10 to react to surprise

Cerebral
mutually exclusive with Physical

Cheerful
mutually exclusive with Depressed
+10 to Befriend
-10 to Intimidate

Contented
mutually exclusive with Greedy
+10 to resist Bribery and Seduction
-10 to Bargain

Cowardly
mutually exclusive with Brave
+10 to react to surprise by running away
-10 to resist Fear

Cruel
mutually exclusive with Empathic
+10 to Force
-10 to Befriend

Depressed
mutually exclusive with Cheerful
+10 to make economic forecasts
must make a Determination roll to start any long task

Diplomatic
mutually exclusive with Offensive
+10 to Bargain and Convince
-10 to Intimidate and Force

Dishonest
mutually exclusive with Honest
+10 to Deceive
-20 to Deceive people who know you

Empathic
mutually exclusive with Hateful
+10 to Figure Them Out
-10 to resist Requests

Friendly
The character is outgoing and helpful.
mutually exclusive with Antagonistic
+10 to Befriend and Seduce
-10 to Intimidate and Provoke

Generous
mutually exclusive with Miserly
+10 to Befriend
-10 to Bargain

Greedy
mutually exclusive with Contented
+10 to
-10 to resist Bribery

Hateful
mutually exclusive with Empathic

Honest
mutually exclusive with dishonest
cannot improve Embezzlement or Lying Skills
+10 to Convince people who know you

Imaginative
mutually exclusive with Practical

Impulsive
mutually exclusive with Patient
+10 to react to surprise
-10 to resist Convincing

Industrious
mutually exclusive with Lazy
+10 to Determination rolls for repeated tasks
-10 to

Gentle
mutually exclusive with Sadistic
+10 to Befriend and resist Provocation
-10 to Provoke or Intimidate

Humble
mutually exclusive with Proud
+10 to resist Provocation
-10 to resist Intimidation

Kind
mutually exclusive with Cruel

Lazy
mutually exclusive with Industrious
+10 to
-10 to Determination rolls for repeated tasks

Miserly
mutually exclusive with Generous
+10 to resist Salesmanship
-10 to Bargain

Modest
mutually exclusive with Sleazy
+10 to resist Seduction
-10 to Seduction

Offensive
The character is given to speaking their mind to anyone at any time without concern for the feelings of others.
mutually exclusive with Diplomatic
+10 to Provoke
-10 to Befriend and Request

Outgoing
mutually exclusive with Shy

Passive
mutually exclusive with
+10 to resist taking direct action
-10 when requesting direct action

Patient
mutually exclusive with Impulsive
+10 to Determination rolls for long tasks
-10 to react to surprise

Physical
mutually exclusive with Cerebral

Polite
mutually exclusive with Rude
+10 to interact with mainstream society in general
-10 to interact with outsiders and fringe elements

Practical
mutually exclusive with Imaginative

Proud
mutually exclusive with Humble
+10 to Deceive others about the character’s own greatness
-10 to resist Provocation

Rowdy
mutually exclusive with Sober
+10 to Provoke

Rude
mutually exclusive with Polite
-10 to interact with people in general
+10 to resist interpersonal interactions

Sadistic
The character is just plain mean and enjoys the suffering of others.
mutually exclusive with Gentle
+10 to Force and Provoke
-10 to Befriend and Seduce

Shy
mutually exclusive with Outgoing

Sleazy
mutually exclusive with Modest
+10 to Seduction
-10 to resist Seduction

Sober
mutually exclusive with Rowdy
+10

Temperamental
mutually exclusive with Calm
+ 10 to Intimidate

Thrifty
mutually exclusive with Wasteful
+10 to Repair worn out parts
-10 to

Wasteful
mutually exclusive with Thrifty

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I spent some time coding a star system generator this week. I'm not sure how to share it as most web browsers are a little gun shy of javascripts from unsecure sources.

David Johansen

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Here's a sample of the output. It still won't generate a world with no moons and doesn't generate world data for a planet sized moon of a gas giant. Nor does calculate the distance between stars and planets or occlude planets that are too close between companion stars. But it works!

Galaxies In Shadow Star System Generator

1/6/7, MV Main Sequence Redstar
Asteroid Belt Micro under 0.125g gravity, Trace atmosphere, Minimal water, Frozen Water, Atmosphere Frozen at Poles Barren
 Ring  

Medium Planet, 9000km diameter Medium beween 0.75 and 1.25g gravity, Thick atmosphere, Traces water, Temperate, Frozen at Poles Bacteria and Algae
 Asteroid  Asteroid  

Small Gas Giant Crushing, between 2.5 and 5g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Plentiful water, Hot, Scalding in Tropics Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Small Planet  Medium Moon  Small Moon  Tiny Moon  Tiny Planet  Small Moon  Medium Moon  

Asteroid No gravity, No atmosphere, Drowned in water, Frozen Core Barren
 Ring  

Huge Gas Giant Compressing, over 10g gravity, Super Dense Solidatmosphere, No water, Hot, Scalding in Tropics Prions
 Tiny Moon  That's no moon...It's a space station  That's no moon...It's a space station  Tiny Moon  Asteroid  Large Moon  Medium Moon  Medium Moon  Small Planet  

Medium Gas Giant Crushing, between 5 and 10g gravity, Solid atmosphere, Submerged in water, Temperate, Frozen at Poles Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Small Moon  Large Moon  Large Moon  Tiny Moon  Asteroid  Tiny Planet  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Saturated water, Frozen Water, Atmosphere Frozen at Poles Barren
 Medium Moon  Small Planet  

Large Planet, 12000km diameter High, between 1.25 and 1.75g gravity, Dense atmosphere, Flooded with water, Frozen Core Barren
 Medium Moon  Medium Moon  Asteroid  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Excessive water, Frozen Atmosphere Barren
 Small Planet  Ring  Medium Moon  Medium Moon  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Flooded with water, Frozen Core Barren
 Medium Moon  Asteroid  Tiny Moon  Tiny Planet  

Medium Planet, 9000km diameter Medium beween 0.75 and 1.25g gravity, Average atmosphere, Flooded with water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Small Moon  Medium Moon  Small Moon  Medium Moon  

Asteroid Belt Micro under 0.125g gravity, Trace atmosphere, Plentiful water, Frozen Core Barren
 Ring  

Small Gas Giant Crushing, between 2.5 and 5g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Traces water, Frozen Core Barren
 Tiny Planet  Medium Moon  Medium Moon  Ring  Tiny Planet  

Medium Gas Giant Crushing, between 5 and 10g gravity, Solid atmosphere, Drowned in water, Frozen Core Barren
 Medium Moon  Medium Planet  Large Moon  Tiny Planet  Large Moon  Ring  Large Moon  Small Planet  Large Moon  

Medium Gas Giant Crushing, between 5 and 10g gravity, Super Dense Solidatmosphere, Saturated water, Frozen Core Barren
 Tiny Planet  Asteroid  Small Moon  Medium Planet  Asteroid  Large Moon  

Medium Gas Giant Crushing, between 5 and 10g gravity, Solid atmosphere, Saturated water, Frozen Core Barren
 Medium Moon  That's no moon...It's a space station  Asteroid  That's no moon...It's a space station  Medium Moon  That's no moon...It's a space station  Small Moon  Small Planet  That's no moon...It's a space station  Small Planet  

Huge Gas Giant Compressing, over 10g gravity, Solid atmosphere, Saturated water, Frozen Core Barren
 Medium Moon  Large Planet  Tiny Moon  Small Moon  That's no moon...It's a space station  Tiny Planet  Asteroid  Medium Planet  Medium Planet  Medium Moon  

Asteroid Belt Micro under 0.125g gravity, Trace atmosphere, Submerged in water, Frozen Core Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Ring  Asteroid  

Huge Gas Giant undefinedgravity, Collapsed Matteratmosphere, Traces water, Frozen Core Barren
 Large Moon  Small Moon  That's no moon...It's a space station  Ring  

Medium Gas Giant Crushing, between 5 and 10g gravity, Solid atmosphere, Endless Depths of water, Frozen Core Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Asteroid  Large Moon  Small Planet  

Huge Gas Giant Compressing, over 10g gravity, Super Dense Solidatmosphere, Submerged in water, Frozen Core Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Tiny Planet  

Small Gas Giant Crushing, between 2.5 and 5g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Saturated water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Large Moon  Medium Planet  Large Moon  Ring  Small Planet  Tiny Moon  

Asteroid Belt Micro under 0.125g gravity, Trace atmosphere, Submerged in water, Frozen Core Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Ring  Asteroid  

Large Planet, 12000km diameter High, between 1.25 and 1.75g gravity, Thick atmosphere, Drowned in water, Frozen Core Prions
 Medium Moon  Small Moon  

Asteroid No gravity, No atmosphere, Traces water, Frozen Core Barren
 Ring  

Tiny Planet, 3000km diameter Minimal between 0.125 and 0.25g gravity, Thin atmosphere, Flooded with water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Asteroid  

Small Planet, 6000km diameter Medium beween 0.75 and 1.25g gravity, Thick atmosphere, Excessive water, Frozen Core Barren
 Small Moon  

Medium Planet, 9000km diameter High, between 1.25 and 1.75g gravity, Dense atmosphere, No water, Frozen Core Barren
 Ring  

Medium Planet, 9000km diameterMedium beween 0.75 and 1.25g gravity, Average atmosphere, Minimal water, Frozen Core Barren
 Small Moon  Medium Moon  Small Moon  Small Moon  Ring  

Medium Planet, 9000km diameterMedium beween 0.75 and 1.25g gravity, Thick atmosphere, Limited water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Medium Moon  Asteroid  Tiny Moon  

Small Planet, 6000km diameter Low between 0.25 and 0.75g gravity, Average atmosphere, Plentiful water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Tiny Moon  Small Moon  Ring  

1/6/7, MV Main Sequence Redstar
Small Planet, 6000km diameter Low between 0.25 and 0.75g gravity, Average atmosphere, Average water, Temperate, Frozen at Poles Bacteria and Algae
 Asteroid  Tiny Moon  Tiny Moon  

Small Gas Giant Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Limited water, Hot, Scalding in Tropics Prions
 Tiny Moon  Ring  Small Moon  Medium Moon  Tiny Moon  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Drowned in water, Warm, Small Frozen Poles Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Medium Moon  Medium Moon  Asteroid  Small Moon  Medium Moon  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Flooded with water, Temperate, Frozen at Poles Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Small Moon  Asteroid  Asteroid  Small Planet  

Small Planet, 6000km diameter Low between 0.25 and 0.75g gravity, Average atmosphere, Drowned in water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Asteroid  Asteroid  Tiny Moon  

Large Planet, 12000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Flooded with water, Cold, Frozen to Tropics Protozoa and Primitive Plants
 Tiny Planet  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Limited water, Frozen Water, Atmosphere Frozen at Poles Barren
 Tiny Planet  Large Moon  Tiny Planet  

Large Planet, 12000km diameter High, between 1.25 and 1.75g gravity, Dense atmosphere, Excessive water, Frozen Core Barren
 Medium Moon  Tiny Moon  Ring  Small Moon  Small Moon  

Medium Planet, 9000km diameter Medium beween 0.75 and 1.25g gravity, Thick atmosphere, Flooded with water, Frozen Core Barren
 Ring  Asteroid  Asteroid  

Small Planet, 6000km diameter Low between 0.25 and 0.75g gravity, Average atmosphere, Excessive water, Frozen Core Barren
 Ring  

Small Planet, 6000km diameter Low between 0.25 and 0.75g gravity, Average atmosphere, Plentiful water, Frozen Core Barren
 Tiny Moon  Tiny Moon  Tiny Moon  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing, between 2.5 and 5g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Limited water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Asteroid  Medium Moon  Medium Moon  Medium Moon  Small Planet  Medium Moon  Tiny Planet  

Huge Planet, 15000km diameter Crushing over 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Average water, Frozen Core Barren
 Asteroid  Tiny Moon  

Large Planet, 12000km diameter High, between 1.25 and 1.75g gravity, Liquid atmosphere, Limited water, Frozen Core Barren
 Large Moon  Large Moon  Small Moon  Tiny Planet  Asteroid  Tiny Planet  

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Reaction score
I spent some time coding a star system generator this week. I'm not sure how to share it as most web browsers are a little gun shy of javascripts from unsecure sources.
You could wrap it up in something server side, although this would mean you'd have to find somewhere to host it and shell out for hosting fees.