Game Balance

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
When you are playing Swimmers & Swimming , Jet Li is going to be a sub optimal choice. Of course game balance is genre dependent. But I know the difference between an RPG that leads to well balanced outcomes and one that doesn't.

hey, you know what you want from a rules system and found ones that suit that - that's cool- so while I may disagree with you that there's any inherent balance in the systems, but that's ultimately the overall goal of every roleplayer and the core reason for discussing various systems.

Is fretting about power imbalances between Classes in specific situations or charting DPS over the course of a night of play or plotting out a 1st-20th progression for every PC in the party before they hit the first tavern “engaging” with the game?
That's the designers job. If they do it well, we can just play it

Is fretting about power imbalances between Classes in specific situations or charting DPS over the course of a night of play or plotting out a 1st-20th progression for every PC in the party before they hit the first tavern “engaging” with the game?
There might possibly be a middle ground between "balance is pointless and doesn't matter" and this.

You guys know when you talk about "well what if it is rarer and so in most cases you wouldn't even qualify to be one" is... actually a type of balancing them...
It’s just reflecting the setting accurately. It’s like I said above, Gazelle’s aren’t faster than Lions so that Cheetahs will get to eat too, or share the spotlight.

It’s just reflecting the setting accurately. It’s like I said above, Gazelle’s aren’t faster than Lions so that Cheetahs will get to eat too, or share the spotlight.
Verisimilitude is one game design goal, balance is another. It's true of strategy wargames as well - do you want to make a battle as true to reality as possible, or as balanced a game as you can? Design for the outcome you prioritise. Doesn't mean either has no meaning.

Which actually was my point. You can “engage in the game” without Mathhammering everything, and not Mathhammering everything doesn’t mean you’re LARPing.
I agree. Which was why in my post I was saying absolute balance probably doesn't exist, and isn't worth trying to hunt. I just think vague attempts are generally not a bad idea. Especially in systems that are effectively settingless, so they don't have setting conceits to drive the decisions.

I mean, also my comment on balance is mostly "If a concept/class is supposed to be good at something, it should be good at it". It's like my hatred of 3.x trap feats. A lot of them just weren't even good for what they purported to do.

Yes it is. In a dysfunctional, somewhat spectrum based way. But it is engaging.

Playing shit characters for reasons of roleplay is also engaging. Because you are aware of the game part of the hobby. Which is a subset of gaming.

Power gaming the system is also engaging with the game part of the game.

Complaining that your character is shit after taking a bunch of sub optimal choices because you didn't actually read (or ask) what might be good for your character. That's not engaging with the game.

Yes it is. In a dysfunctional, somewhat spectrum based way. But it is engaging.

Playing shit characters for reasons of roleplay is also engaging. Because you are aware of the game part of the hobby. Which is a subset of gaming.

Power gaming the system is also engaging with the game part of the game.

Complaining that your character is shit after taking a bunch of sub optimal choices because you didn't actually read (or ask) what might be good for your character. That's not engaging with the game.
Sure, but you can still take things that make sense for the character you want to play, accept that Chargen is about making choices, and not bitch whenever anyone does something better than you.

Yeah, that's what I was tryig to say earlier with random roll chargen being an equality of opportunity balancing conceit
That's technically true, but not in a way that is enjoyable for many players.

The dice don't have any memory; if the game gives you a 1/6 chance of playing a Rare Class With Special Abilities else you play a Common Class With Basic Stuff instead (Numbers pulled out of the air for the sake of argument, because the exact probabilities aren't really relevant), the dice don't know that you've played all of the Common Classes enough that you're tired of them and you'd like to try a Rare Class for once, the dice don't care that everybody else rolled Rare Class and you didn't, the dice just give you something random. It's a cop-out from both the designer and the GM; sorry, the dice say you can't have the thing that you want, you'll play a commoner again and like it. If you need fixes like getting to roll a couple of times and pick the result you like, or begging the GM to let you pick instead of roll this time, whatever, then the system has failed.

Maybe it's realistic to the setting, but if it's a choice between adhere strictly to the rules of the setting and annoy some players, or bend the rules but make the players happy, it's the players who should get the benefit; they're the ones who turned up to the game. By all means include notes about the relative rarity of various things for players who want that sort of thing and want to roll for it, but they shouldn't be mandatory.

The probability balancing of early D&D assumes an early D&D playstyle. It assumes you play the game a lot. It assumes you play a lot of characters, both due to high mortality and due to just switching different characters in and out. Basically, I think the idea is that, under such circumstances, wildly variable luck will even out.*

It's not really suited at all for the modern D&D paradigm where you create a character at the beginning and play it for the whole campaign.

*The idea that these probabilities also indicate setting probability came later, in games like Warhammer.

Last edited:
I agree. Which was why in my post I was saying absolute balance probably doesn't exist, and isn't worth trying to hunt. I just think vague attempts are generally not a bad idea. Especially in systems that are effectively settingless, so they don't have setting conceits to drive the decisions.

I mean, also my comment on balance is mostly "If a concept/class is supposed to be good at something, it should be good at it". It's like my hatred of 3.x trap feats. A lot of them just weren't even good for what they purported to do.
Any ruleset should do what it’s designed to do. If the goal is to give players lots of tactical choice and verisimilitude is not a word in your vocabulary - boom, 4e. If verisimilitude and setting context are what you care about, and balance is making sure your books and figures don’t fall - boom, MERP and WFRP. If designing games is stream-of-consciousness shit you think is fun structured and organised like a Pollock painting - boom, Palladium Games.

If one game’s goal is mechanical balance, and it fails, well that’s bad on the designers. If the game designers don’t value mechanical balance and didn’t design for it, it’s working as intended.

It’s enjoyable for many players, just not the same ones. :tongue:
The dice don't have any memory; if the game gives you a 1/6 chance of playing a Rare Class With Special Abilities else you play a Common Class With Basic Stuff instead (Numbers pulled out of the air for the sake of argument, because the exact probabilities aren't really relevant), the dice don't know that you've played all of the Common Classes enough that you're tired of them and you'd like to try a Rare Class for once, the dice don't care that everybody else rolled Rare Class and you didn't, the dice just give you something random. It's a cop-out from both the designer and the GM; sorry, the dice say you can't have the thing that you want, you'll play a commoner again and like it. If you need fixes like getting to roll a couple of times and pick the result you like, or begging the GM to let you pick instead of roll this time, whatever, then the system has failed.

Maybe it's realistic to the setting, but if it's a choice between adhere strictly to the rules of the setting and annoy some players, or bend the rules but make the players happy, it's the players who should get the benefit; they're the ones who turned up to the game. By all means include notes about the relative rarity of various things for players who want that sort of thing and want to roll for it, but they shouldn't be mandatory.
If the reason the players showed up is because they actually like having setting integrity for once and realize they can get “whatever the players want, setting be damned” on every other bog standard gaming table in the Solar System then they’re getting the benefit they want. The new person who doesn’t like it probably just needs a different table. They’re entitled to play the way they want, they’re not entitled to force everyone else at the table to do so also.

If the reason the players showed up is because they actually like having setting integrity for once and realize they can get “whatever the players want, setting be damned” on every other bog standard gaming table in the Solar System then they’re getting the benefit they want. The new person who doesn’t like it probably just needs a different table. They’re entitled to play the way they want, they’re not entitled to force everyone else at the table to do so also.
I'm of the opinion that "we like rolling at this table, so you should roll too" is just as much forcing people to play the way they want to as "we don't like rolling, so you shouldn't roll either"; players who want to roll should get to, and players who don't want to roll shouldn't have to. I don't have much sympathy with folk who think someone else shouldn't get to roll (Or pick) just because they didn't want to roll or pick.

And there are ways to enforce setting-specific rules other than just limiting what players are allowed to play; the GM has every other NPC in the setting and control of the relative proportions that they have, after all.

Um no. If there's an established method for char gen at the table, thats what gets used. You dont get to opt out of rolling just because you feel like using an array.

The dice don't have any memory; if the game gives you a 1/6 chance of playing a Rare Class With Special Abilities else you play a Common Class With Basic Stuff instead (Numbers pulled out of the air for the sake of argument, because the exact probabilities aren't really relevant), the dice don't know that you've played all of the Common Classes enough that you're tired of them and you'd like to try a Rare Class for once, the dice don't care that everybody else rolled Rare Class and you didn't, the dice just give you something random. It's a cop-out from both the designer and the GM; sorry, the dice say you can't have the thing that you want, you'll play a commoner again and like it.
Yeah, while input balance is technically balanced, it feels an odd example to me. As you say, it often leads to the opposite in practice. Stuff only starts to even out if you're playing the kind of game where you expect to go through ten or more characters.

As someone who enjoys both point buy and random gen, I enjoy the latter for different reasons. It encourages players to go with what they get, to consider options they wouldn't have thought up in a point buy system and generally to move out of their comfort zones a bit more.
If you need fixes like getting to roll a couple of times and pick the result you like, or begging the GM to let you pick instead of roll this time, whatever, then the system has failed.

Or the player has failed. If I'm running Maelstrom Domesday and have explained it properly, anyone who doesn't want to embrace the chaos of the lifepath system shouldn't have signed up to the game in the first place. To do so when they don't accept the premise is a failing on their part.

Player or players? Because yeah, if you mention random gen and the group looks at you with horror, it's not the right game for that group. If you pitch the game and five players are up for it and one doesn't like the idea, it's for them to find a different table.

There is no significant difference between "in this game we will be using random character generation" and "only humans are allowed as PCs" or "this is a samurai game so you can't be a ninja".

I don't have much sympathy with folk who think someone else shouldn't get to roll (Or pick) just because they didn't want to roll or pick.

How about with someone who thinks someone else shouldn't get to play an evil PC because they want to play in or run a heroic campaign?

In order to play the character they want to play, they are being handicapped by the game rules. That's what I meant to express.
For me it is not even playing the character I want to play, as in catering to my specific needs and specific concept, it is when the game designer gets all hot for some character class concept that is just so much better in a role than any other in that role plus there are extras. No surprise if one looks at the history of these things the more capable character class comes later, it's simply power creep. For me, it is no different in effect than weapon fetishes, actually worse for ones setting.

As to limits do to random character generation, please, kill yourself and roll again, if anything you should not get an extra reward for good luck, the high statistics are their own reward.

Had never seen die rolls stop anyone from being an AD&D character they wanted to be, (1) because of the nice roll options in the DMG pretty much guaranteed you could make the minimums, even for a paladin, and (2) even if not, player pressure ensured something was done even if it involved taking points from one stat and using it in another; when most of your table want to play a class with a certain minimum you either accommodate or people walk. Those DMs who were all 3d6 in order, none of those groups survived long in my recollection...even in OD&D days; where does one think the more lenient die roll options in the DMG came from? These were not new and pulled from the ether when the DMG was written.

Statistics minimums (for randomly rolled statistics), are lazy and ineffective game design with respect to "balance", as were level limits.

In addition such clearly optimal character classes, do enforce certain setting conceits upon the referee and group. The setting conceits, in my opinion, should be a minimum to the extent they are enforced through the rules. Otherwise it is more play this game the way I play and in the setting I play in; no thanks,...don't mind the game having that as a default and as advice as long as it is easy to ignore without rewriting the game.

As to the advice well don't play such games then, very good advice...which was followed, we all banned Unearthed Arcana from our tables after looking at it and none of us bought it...of course we had seen these Mary Sue classes in The Dragon previously and pretty much nixed them then and there.

Really from a design point Ad&d was a disaster. Gygax didn't know when he should stop.

At the risk of missing something in all the posts I just skimmed over...

So one of the games I run is RuneQuest 1st edition (1978). By the rules it has random attribute generation. Now I've considered point buy. But there's a problem with that. INT is an uber stat that:

1. Can't be increased by training (compared to other attributes)
2. Contributes to ALMOST EVERY skill ability bonus.
3. Limits the number of spells you can memorize
4. And probably something else...

So either it gets priced such that anyone who takes a high INT in point buy is pretty much average in everything else, or it costs the same as other attributes and everyone has as high an INT as they can remotely manage. And folks will try and max out SIZ if they want to be a good fighter. They will take a 14 DEX so they can train it to 21. They will take 2/3 of their SIZ as CON and STR so they can train those. They will take just enough CHA and POW to satisfy their immediate needs.

Now the ONE way I was able to make point buy work - I divorced ability bonus from attributes (other than don't take high manipulation and a crappy DEX) and gave people an array of ability bonuses to apply. Then the attributes were close enough that they could be priced at one point per point of attribute.

But my current campaign is running with random chargen and the oldest character in the game didn't even get to roll 4d6k3 he rolled 3d6 straight down the line - and guess what, he has influence because of his longevity with the campaign and how he has played his character.

So random chargen can actually be balancing. Sure, someone might wind up with an uber character, oops, the elf in the RQ campaign, but even that elf isn't always the best character to deal with something.

Um no. If there's an established method for char gen at the table, thats what gets used. You dont get to opt out of rolling just because you feel like using an array.
Why not both? A random as well as point buy option? It's not hard to do or balance or even make one slightly better than the other if one is inclined to do so.

Really from a design point Ad&d was a disaster. Gygax didn't know when he should stop.
Agree and disagree, rereading the dragons and correlating it with what was going on at the time at TSR and speculate in his personal life, think he just lost his feel for the gaming community and his customers, and improving on and invigorating D&Ds design. At the time this was all coming out he was busy trying to get a movie going and divorce also in this time period. Certain he was making great content for his group, and his setting, and the way they played, but that sadly was no longer enough and too late.

Why not both? A random as well as point buy option? It's not hard to do or balance or even make one slightly better than the other if one is inclined to do so.
Generally speaking a table has one rolling method. If everyone's cool then sure, do what you want, but don't expect it. That smacks of entitlement.

Last time I did 5e I did that they could roll once (4d6 keep 3 six times, arrange as desired), and if they didn't like it they could then choose to point buy instead. Everyone got the same option, which was both :tongue:.

I was responding to the post which said 'Barbarians might be the best because that's how it is in this game' to which I was saying, sucks if you want to be something that's not a barbarian if the system is unbalanced against non barbarians.
They might be the best solo combatants in D&D, when compared to other classes of the same level.

The game isn't balanced by arena fights - 4e excepted, perhaps - and more importantly, that's not how it's played by most gamers.

If you enjoy random character generation and hit points, knock yourself out. I am probably not going to play in your game, and given my enjoyment of 4e,5e & 13th Age you clearly won't be playing in those.
I do, and I am, and I have a string of posts awaiting polish in my blog queue on using 13th Age with swashbuckling games like Flashing Blades.

Pigeon-holing me only uncovers surprises, for I am vast and contain multitudes.

If a game makes a particular choice , such as a race/class or background, seriously more capable than others, then anyone who chooses something else is paying a roleplaying penalty. That's not my fun. Design it better if you want me to play in it.
Are you familiar with The Gaming Den?

'cause "paying a roleplaying penalty" really sounds like something Denners talk about.

So either it gets priced such that anyone who takes a high INT in point buy is pretty much average in everything else, or it costs the same as other attributes and everyone has as high an INT as they can remotely manage. And folks will try and max out SIZ if they want to be a good fighter. They will take a 14 DEX so they can train it to 21. They will take 2/3 of their SIZ as CON and STR so they can train those. They will take just enough CHA and POW to satisfy their immediate needs.
Think you just laid out how that can be done, the simple thing is as you say to make INT cost more. The more something can do the more it costs, pretty simple. On the others, that sounds like a great way to balance, you want the high INT you will need to forgo the advantageous SIZ and DEX, and vice versa.

On balancing this out, how much things cost, is what design is all about. Is it hard work, why yes. Just because it is hard does not mean it can't be done and done well. Does it take attention to detail and much play testing, certainly. Randomness isn't giving you balance in any way, it is just hiding the unbalanced uber stats behind a wall of probability. It seemed novel at the time because such random variability in starting power, with out a concomitant adjustment in victory conditions, would have been laughed out of a room of war game players.

But my current campaign is running with random chargen and the oldest character in the game didn't even get to roll 4d6k3 he rolled 3d6 straight down the line - and guess what, he has influence because of his longevity with the campaign and how he has played his character.

So random chargen can actually be balancing. Sure, someone might wind up with an uber character, oops, the elf in the RQ campaign, but even that elf isn't always the best character to deal with something.
I do not see how that a character survived a long time through good play means there is balance in the game mechanics, it means they are a good player, and I assume as time goes on their character improves so the initial rolls are eventually overcome by other improvements. If anything, it may mean the advantage given by this stat is not as determinative as it appears on paper.

Quick aside when we are talking player available stuff, not NPC and setting stuff. Sure the odds of qualifying by random roll provides logic for the distribution of these uber characters in the world, which has nothing to do with balance, just internal consistency with the dice statistics, and there are so many other setting variables a Referee has at their disposal its a pretty low bar. to achieve internal consistency...well at least I like to believe that but some games do a great job of proving me wrong. :smile:

They might be the best solo combatants in D&D, when compared to other classes of the same level.
That's exactly my point about role or niche. I don't care if a Barbarian is a better solo fighter than a class that is about stealth, or magic, or something else.

But if the Barbarian is the best solo combatant of all the classes that serve the niche of solo combatant, and has no meaningful disadvantages (i.e. ones that in realistic play never come up, get ignored or can be removed readily especially after a few levels) relative to these other solo combatant classes, and most likely even extra advantages..it is a Mary Sue class if the only "cost" is a lucky die roll.

'cause "paying a roleplaying penalty" really sounds like something Denners talk about.
I think this kind of design is just generally bad design.

Flaws like "Dark Secret, Hunted, Outlaw" etc for extra character points.

For one thing if a game is using a point allocation system then the game is saying that they are balanced. (After all there is nothing stopping the player discussing how they want their character to have a dark secret in the absence of a flaw system). That's a claim the game is making by using such a system and allocating a value.

Furthermore these are the kind of flaws that affect the group as a whole, but are explicitly being used by systems to balance individual pcs.

Verisimilitude is one game design goal, balance is another. It's true of strategy wargames as well - do you want to make a battle as true to reality as possible, or as balanced a game as you can? Design for the outcome you prioritise. Doesn't mean either has no meaning.

But there's a huge difference with wargames - it's a competitive rather than cooperative activity

Generally speaking a table has one rolling method. If everyone's cool then sure, do what you want, but don't expect it. That smacks of entitlement.
Joining an established group and expecting them all to change things to your method when you’re a player? I couldn’t even possibly imagine the mindset that would expect that.

But there's a huge difference with wargames - it's a competitive rather than cooperative activity
Is it though? If what you’re concerned with most is that you can’t point buy to maximize DPS, is it cooperative?

Is it though? If what you’re concerned with most is that you can’t point buy to maximize DPS, is it cooperative?

Well, it's supposed to be according to every RPG I've read, lol, but I'm aware there's a whole rabbithole of gaming styles I've never travelled down

There’s some competitive aspect of many RPGs, even while being cooperative, no?

Similar to how a team sport has both cooperation and competition.

Not that I've played, but then I wouldn't know the first thing about Pathfinder or D&D 4th edition

Yeah but I mean more in the challenges put forth by the GM. The PCs are competing with those challenges.

I would think that most of us would expect the GM to be putting forth challenges that have considered the PCs’ capability (although there very likely may be exceptions).

Threats and challenges of varying level is similar to the idea of an even match in a wargame.

Yeah but I mean more in the challenges put forth by the GM. The PCs are competing with those challenges.

I would think that most of us would expect the GM to be putting forth challenges that have considered the PCs’ capability (although there very likely may be exceptions).

Threats and challenges of varying level is similar to the idea of an even match in a wargame.

I dunno, we're talking about player characters being balanced; I think the concept of "balanced encounters" is a very different topic (read: minefield) in and of itself.

I dunno, we're talking about player characters being balanced; I think the concept of "balanced encounters" is a very different topic (read: minefield) in and of itself.

Perhaps. I’m just saying that balance is a consideration in the rules that set forth the challenge of the game. Whether it’s a wargame with two players competing directly, or an RPG with players working together against the GM’s world. Clearly, balance matters in this regard.

To connect it back specifically to player characters being balanced, one would hope that each was given the means to contribute to the group’s efforts. So niche protection is one way to do this, mechanical parity across classes (or system equivalent) is another. There are others, too.

Some games are balanced others aren't. Neither is good or bad. You sign up for a game and you play, what's the fucking bother? Seriously?

The game isn't balanced by arena fights - 4e excepted, perhaps - and more importantly, that's not how it's played by most gamers.

I do, and I am, and I have a string of posts awaiting polish in my blog queue on using 13th Age with swashbuckling games like Flashing Blades.

Pigeon-holing me only uncovers surprises, for I am vast and contain multitudes.

1) Focus of my argument was on CRKruegers argument (and I paraphrase) that fidelity to a setting is more important than considerations of balance, so my duellist was a counter argument to 'Barbarians should be the best fighters if that's what the setting says' that it doesn't make for the best games. A barbarian should absolutely have the capability of being best at Strength things, Wilderness things and anything else that is considered in his remit, but should not also be the best at fighting always. Unless everyone is a barbarian, in which case, not such an issue.
2) Glad to hear you enjoy 13th Age and I fully accept that you enjoy a variety of games. I hear what you say upthread about the ability of random char gen to give you something unexpected, and I do play T&T (which is random char gen and wildly different impacts from race choices - but when I GM it I throw in some balancing aspects. Thank you for revealing some aspects of your multitudes.
3) Not really. I am not a full on power game min-maxer, but do enjoy playing effective characters at their 'thing'. I GM mostly and rarely get to play, so when I do roleplay I want to have my share of being a big damn hero, and if a class/background is clearly sub optimal I am not going to play it. Characters that are different but roughly equal is my ideal for play and why balance is important to me.

PS - 13th Age has an Action Economy. I think that's why I assumed it would not be of interest to you.

Last edited:
Its about game design, and as we know wargames birthed roleplaying in large part. I utterly reject the premise that balancing character effectiveness in roleplaying system design is impossible/without merit.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back