Game/Hobby Shops Poll

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

When was the last time you stepped into a tabletop gaming/hobby store?

• Less than one month ago

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • One month to six months ago

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Six months to a year ago

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • One to three years ago

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Three to six years ago

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Six to ten years ago

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ten to fifteen years ago

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fifteen or more years ago

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do you know why the comics direct market is in a slump? I'm curious, if you're willing to explain.

It might be a bit political for the board. Suffice to say mainstream superhero comics have made a concerted effort to alienate their audience and any potential audience from the films. Add to that the ease of reading issues online and the market is shrinking drastically

I live a 10 minute drive from the biggest hobby game store in the world.
http://www.sentrybox.com/

If a boardgame, wargame, CCG, or RPG item is printed in the English language, the Sentry Box carries it. And it has thousands and thousands of out of print and used items as well. You can get lost for hours just browsing.

I didn't know you were a fellow Canuck. Doesn't Calgary also have that huge mall?

It might be a bit political for the board. Suffice to say mainstream superhero comics have made a concerted effort to alienate their audience and any potential audience from the films. Add to that the ease of reading issues online and the market is shrinking drastically

That in addition to constant relaunches with a new #1 issue every year or two ("Hey kids, I heard you all like #1 issues!"), multiple gimmicky covers per issue, constant "big events" that just lead into yet another big event, and that the biggest problem publisher with all four issues is Marvel Comics. If Marvel Comics experiences a sales slump, comic books as an industry follows.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

I see four big reasons:
• Replacement rates for Marvel "zombies" and DC fans are ugly. You cannot find comic books in grocery or drug stores any longer. To find comics as a kid, you must get your parents to drag you to a comic book store or you can find trades at a bookstore. Digital is good, but it is not pushed enough. When I was a kid (pre-driving age) almost all of my books were bought off spinners.
• Big events that go absolutely nowhere. No long-lasting effects and the characters are usually reset back to zero soon after. Marvel also likes to spit in their readers' eyes by making good decisions like erasing twenty years of Spider-Man's history and turning Captain America (of all heroes) into a Nazi.
• Price points. Twenty two (22) pages for $4.99? And its only part one of a six-part story. Those same six part stories were done in one or two issues in the 80s. They have decompressed comics and it is not good.
• The companies have forgotten or don't care about the lessons of the 90s. Still putting out #1s all the time. Still putting out collector's edition covers. Still oversaturating the market with more books than anyone cares about.

I think American comics could learn a lot by looking at manga

That in addition to constant relaunches with a new #1 issue every year or two ("Hey kids, I heard you all like #1 issues!"), multiple gimmicky covers per issue, constant "big events" that just lead into yet another big event, and that the biggest problem publisher with all four issues is Marvel Comics. If Marvel Comics experiences a sales slump, comic books as an industry follows.

Yeah, the amount of content per issue now is basically nothing. I remember years ago now being pissed off by Ultimate Spider-Man for taking 5 issues to tell the story that Ditko managed in one 5 page piece of an anthology comic. I also find the art these days to be too focused on realism overall and digital colouring and not the sort of dynamic cartoon style that works for comics. I dunno, I could probably pull on my old man suspenders and spend pages going on about all my complaints with "comics these days", but to s certain extent I don't think the big guys care. For Marvel, I think it's just an IP to be mined for films at this point.

When Marvel deleted Peter and Mary Jane's wedding with the *words can't describe how bad it was* "One More Day" story, they liked to go on sites and basically troll fans of the marriage and instead of giving them good reasons for getting rid of it, they basically said tough shit and if you don't like, there's the door. It wasn't professional behavior. Steve Wacker is quite the instigator. Anyway, Joe Quesada is usually regarded as a good editor-in-chief by a lot of people, but the mention of his name grinds my teeth just for that.

I see four big reasons:
• Replacement rates for Marvel "zombies" and DC fans are ugly. You cannot find comic books in grocery or drug stores any longer. To find comics as a kid, you must get your parents to drag you to a comic book store or you can find trades at a bookstore. Digital is good, but it is not pushed enough. When I was a kid (pre-driving age) almost all of my books were bought off spinners.
• Big events that go absolutely nowhere. No long-lasting effects and the characters are usually reset back to zero soon after. Marvel also likes to spit in their readers' eyes by making good decisions like erasing twenty years of Spider-Man's history and turning Captain America (of all heroes) into a Nazi.
• Price points. Twenty two (22) pages for $4.99? And its only part one of a six-part story. Those same six part stories were done in one or two issues in the 80s. They have decompressed comics and it is not good.
• The companies have forgotten or don't care about the lessons of the 90s. Still putting out #1s all the time. Still putting out collector's edition covers. Still oversaturating the market with more books than anyone cares about.

Also, I pick up a comic book, look at it, don't recognize the character as himself most of the time, and can't even figure out what's going on because they assume you are familiar with multiple prior issues, and put it right back down again. And that's leaving aside the price and bad art and ugly coloring in most of them.

Yeah, the amount of content per issue now is basically nothing. I remember years ago now being pissed off by Ultimate Spider-Man for taking 5 issues to tell the story that Ditko managed in one 5 page piece of an anthology comic.

Heck

I also find the art these days to be too focused on realism overall and digital colouring and not the sort of dynamic cartoon style that works for comics.

yeah

There is only one place left here where I know you can buy comics, it's in a seedy part of town between a vape shop and a tattoo parlor.

Probably where it should be. After all, comics are gritty and "grimdark" now!

Last summer. The local game shops here are mostly for board games and card games. The only RPGs they carry are 5E and Pathfinder. So, I’ve special ordered books but they do t support me so I don’t support them.

I don't understand why I'd special order from a store. And I say this as someone who once ran a comic/game store. If I don't have what you need when you need it why exactly would you pay me more to deliver it slower than Amazon and force you to come to my store can delivered to your house.

Yeah, the amount of content per issue now is basically nothing. I remember years ago now being pissed off by Ultimate Spider-Man for taking 5 issues to tell the story that Ditko managed in one 5 page piece of an anthology comic. I also find the art these days to be too focused on realism overall and digital colouring and not the sort of dynamic cartoon style that works for comics. I dunno, I could probably pull on my old man suspenders and spend pages going on about all my complaints with "comics these days", but to s certain extent I don't think the big guys care. For Marvel, I think it's just an IP to be mined for films at this point.
I'm with on realism. Once you get stuck with a style that requires the artist to work from a live model that is posing for them, you get a much more limited range of poses than a loose comic style. There is a reason that most common pose in an Alex Ross painting is the character standing still and looking dramatic.

I don't understand why I'd special order from a store. And I say this as someone who once ran a comic/game store. If I don't have what you need when you need it why exactly would you pay me more to deliver it slower than Amazon and force you to come to my store can delivered to your house.

The last time I went to a hobby store was around 2002. I forget exactly what RPG book I went in looking for... probably Shadowrun as that is what I played at the time. Anyway, they had two medium sized bookcases of RPG books, but it was all D&D 3.0 and World of Darkness, with a couple of GURPS books. The rest of the store was mostly CCGs. After about fifteen minutes of searching and not being able to find it, I went to the clerk and asked. He told me that they could special order the book for me and they would have it in about a month. I said, "No thanks." Went home, found and ordered the book on Amazon.com, and had it three business days later. I haven't stepped inside a tabletop game/hobby shop since.

The last time I went to a hobby store was around 2002. I forget exactly what RPG book I went in looking for... probably Shadowrun as that is what I played at the time. Anyway, they had two medium sized bookcases of RPG books, but it was all D&D 3.0 and World of Darkness, with a couple of GURPS books. The rest of the store was mostly CCGs. After about fifteen minutes of searching and not being able to find it, I went to the clerk and asked. He told me that they could special order the book for me and they would have it in about a month. I said, "No thanks." Went home, found and ordered the book on Amazon.com, and had it three business days later. I haven't stepped inside a tabletop game/hobby shop since.
What's really sad is as the owner I'd have to order it through the distributor which was Alliance. They sucked so bad routinely missing items and adding others . One time they shipped me a pallet full of Dr who figures. I didn't order them and when I called they had no clue what I was talking about. Ah the wonders of having a monopoly on comic distribution.

What's really sad is as the owner I'd have to order it through the distributor which was Alliance. They sucked so bad routinely missing items and adding others . One time they shipped me a pallet full of Dr who figures. I didn't order them and when I called they had no clue what I was talking about. Ah the wonders of having a monopoly on comic distribution.
I still have nightmares about doing business with Alliance.

I'm with on realism. Once you get stuck with a style that requires the artist to work from a live model that is posing for them, you get a much more limited range of poses than a loose comic style. There is a reason that most common pose in an Alex Ross painting is the character standing still and looking dramatic.
If by dramatic you mean "like a wax dummy from Madame Tussaud's." :clown:

Yikes I used to think that Ottawa was a complete sinkhole, but I'm hella proud of my selection of gaming stores. Toronto and Montreal too.

I do miss the Silver Snail though :sad: that's where I bought my first Venom comics and Heavy Metal Magazines.

Edit: I wanna visit Calgary now haha

I popped into a game store a few times in the last year. Felt... Really awkward. The guy runnin the shop was involved in an active game both times so it felt like he was gettin distracted keepin a side-eye on me while still engaging with the game at hand. 'Just browsin' and 'not lookin for anything in particular' is the most annoying version of a dude who should be pulling at his attention. They of course don't carry any of the systems I use anymore so it ended up feelin really wierd. I felt like I just wanted to pull up a chair and listen in on the game they were playin so he could stay focused and I could get a feel for whatever it was they chose to play. The vibe I got was less 'welcoming and friendly' and more 'I don't know you... this shop is for people I know...' Sort of felt like 'pilgrim in an unholy land'

I'll be heading into a shop here soon to pick up some paint for minis, but probably gonna pick a different shop. Then again this shop moved into a bigger space across the street recently, mebbe the change in venue came with a change in vibe.

Shame really. The reason I got up the gumption to go check it out was it was across the parking lot from a 24x7 donut shop, and when I went to get donuts one late night there were a bunch of them huddled outside the door after the shop closed regaling each other with highlights of that nights games and strategizing for the future, which felt totally homey to me. I'm like 'look at that... them's good peeps...'

Walking into the store felt like the equivalent to walking up to that group and laughing as if I'd been part of the conversation the whole time... Creepy!

Last edited:
I popped into a game store a few times in the last year. Felt... Really awkward. The guy runnin the shop was involved in an active game both times so it felt like he was gettin distracted keepin a side-eye on me while still engaging with the game at hand. 'Just browsin' and 'not lookin for anything in particular' is the most annoying version of a dude who should be pulling at his attention. They of course don't carry any of the systems I use anymore so it ended up feelin really wierd. I felt like I just wanted to pull up a chair and listen in on the game they were playin so he could stay focused and I could get a feel for whatever it was they chose to play. The vibe I got was less 'welcoming and friendly' and more 'I don't know you... this shop is for people I know...' Sort of felt like 'pilgrim in an unholy land'

I'll be heading into a shop here soon to pick up some paint for minis, but probably gonna pick a different shop. Then again this shop moved into a bigger space across the street recently, mebbe the change in venue came with a change in vibe.

Shame really. The reason I got up the gumption to go check it out was it was across the parking lot from a 24x7 donut shop, and when I went to get donuts one late night there were a bunch of them huddled outside the door after the shop closed regaling each other with highlights of that nights games and strategizing for the future, which felt totally homey to me. I'm like 'look at that... them's good peeps...'
Well, on the bright side he will drive himself out of business soon enough if playing games at the office is more important than moving product. I've been in stores like that. A couple of times I intended to buy something but getting anyone to take my money was too difficult so I left and bought online or not at all. Funny thing is, I'm still here but those stores arent. Imagine that.

I last bought a comic book nine years ago, in NYC's Midtown comics. (It was Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer. Good stuff.)

I last bought a roleplaying game in a physical store four years ago at Jeux Descartes, in Paris. (It was the amazing, beautiful French version of CoC6.)

Why would I go to a store that doesn’t want me there and be charged full MSRP when I can order all the games I want online for as much as 50% off? There’s no incentive for me to do that. The usual response is it helps keep the brick and mortar stores going. What if I don’t like the brick and mortar if it’s built on a shitty foundation of customer service? I’ve been in plenty of stores where they look at you like you’ve just landed in a UFO in front of the store and decided to check out what Earthlings do in their spare time with their hard earned money.

Why would I go to a store that doesn’t want me there and be charged full MSRP when I can order all the games I want online for as much as 50% off? There’s no incentive for me to do that. The usual response is it helps keep the brick and mortar stores going. What if I don’t like the brick and mortar if it’s built on a shitty foundation of customer service?

This is what proprietors need to realize: I can buy what you sell at a lower price online without having to leave my home, and often I can have it arrive at my door same day or within 48 hours, still for less than I'd pay for the privilege of traveling to your shop, hoping to find what I want, waiting in line, and paying full price plus tax, so the only reason for me to do that is because you are offering a positive xperience and pleasurable interaction that I can't get elsewhere. It's not the product that keeps a customer coming back.

It is amazing how unfriendly many comic and game stores are.

The ones I see successful in my area tend to realize that if they're going to put the effort into friendly staff with an atmosphere that's inviting and pleasant well they might as well sell beer and food and coffee. Suddenly the games become a reason to keep people in the room drinking alcohol and being social. That's hard to replicate online. I suppose you could build a warm and inviting online rpgpub but that seems implausibly hard to do.....

I've yet to walk into a game store and felt welcome. What I always seem to get is dead stares from proprietors that seems offended that I would dare to spend my money in their establishment.

And I was even wearing pants for most of those.

Anyway, I'm overjoyed that online stores exist for this hobby.

Last edited:
It is amazing how unfriendly many comic and game stores are.
Record shops, too, especially with hipster employees who want to look down on your choices because a band is only cool if nobody likes it or has heard of it.

Most record store clerks pretend to greater music knowledge than they actually have. I find those who really know music have such wide tastes they are far from snobs.

Game stores are definitely not entitled to my money. They aren't charities, and neither am I. If have a lousy selection, unfriendly staff, etc., then I'm outtie. With that in mind, I'm quite glad to drop some cash at my FLGS on occasion. The staff is friendly, and at least tries to be helpful (though some of them clearly don't know much about RPGs ... ). The selection isn't amazing, but it's not bad. I won't pay tons more than I would online, but I'll pay a little more just for the fun of browsing and impulse purchasing. I'm glad to have them around, and would be sad if they weren't, so I'm happy enough doing a small part to keep them in business.

Geez guys, haven't you ever been to a subculture (or pretty much any minority or regional) enclave before? Bars, nightclub music genre nights, ethnic grocers, libraries, non-chain gyms, delis, & cafes, local playgrounds, corner stores, & arcades ... pretty much any non-mega chain or touristy public space? Haven't you noticed how the regulars interact: respectful, distant, wary, but tentative curiosity, and merchants an array of professionalism from giving customers their space to brief cordialities?

These are intimate social spaces where the introverts, minorities, and or the regionally invested haunt. Glad handing extroversion is openly looked upon with suspicion. It's an unknown quantity that's coming on too fast, possibly predatory to them. And their customer base tends to flinch from such merchant approaches in turn.

Seriously, think of it as the nerd bar. Car dealership extroversion spooks this customer base on the whole. It's a place where game demos have to be demonstrated (hence why they have to constantly keep playing in store). Service is more of providing shopping privacy and opportunity to observe before buying.

I get where the complaint is coming from. But it's something I am so intimately familiar with in so many other social venues I am surprised at the lack of connection. This is such a humankind's (likely more social animals') standard behavior I always assumed people were similarly aware of such out-group/stranger power dynamics and the rituals of building bridges.

Man you guys have some shitty stores near you. Even the worst I've been to have been at best distracted. One store was pretty rough and lazy but the owner had a good excuse. He was dying of cancer and really I wasn't going to add to his misery. He ordered a good variety of stuff which was AWESOME! Sure I had to pull him out of his WoW game to do the sale but hey you go out dude however you need to. Miss that guy.

Geez guys, haven't you ever been to a subculture (or pretty much any minority or regional) enclave before? Bars, nightclub music genre nights, ethnic grocers, libraries, non-chain gyms, delis, & cafes, local playgrounds, corner stores, & arcades ... pretty much any non-mega chain or touristy public space? Haven't you noticed how the regulars interact: respectful, distant, wary, but tentative curiosity, and merchants an array of professionalism from giving customers their space to brief cordialities?

These are intimate social spaces where the introverts, minorities, and or the regionally invested haunt. Glad handing extroversion is openly looked upon with suspicion. It's an unknown quantity that's coming on too fast, possibly predatory to them. And their customer base tends to flinch from such merchant approaches in turn.

Seriously, think of it as the nerd bar. Car dealership extroversion spooks this customer base on the whole. It's a place where game demos have to be demonstrated (hence why they have to constantly keep playing in store). Service is more of providing shopping privacy and opportunity to observe before buying.

I get where the complaint is coming from. But it's something I am so intimately familiar with in so many other social venues I am surprised at the lack of connection. This is such a humankind's (likely more social animals') standard behavior I always assumed people were similarly aware of such out-group/stranger power dynamics and the rituals of building bridges.
This is so true. I used to be a local at a restaurant that was heavily frequented by regulars. When you read reviews of the place it was totally bifurcated. Most loved the place and talked about how friendly the staff was. The rest complained how distance and unfriendly the staff was. And both reviews were accurate. The staff totally ignored the non regular folks compared to how much attention they payed to us regulars. But fuck the outsiders.

Yeah, the 80/20 rule is routinely in effect throughout much of life. Twenty percent is usually the loyal, reliable, and or valuable stuff that ends up making eighty percent of our priorities, money, friends & family, everyday living... Not that it excuses bad behavior, and fuck those unprofessional FLGS that are anti-social pits of despair.

However, the different slices of the social commons make their own environmental demands. It can't all be about extraverted servile commerce. The ritual of the social dance is critical for groups to assess a deeper welcome.

It's a Life > Numbers > Safety > Intimacy thing. It's the price of being a social being, not merely a consumer.

I've spent a lot of time in rock dives in my life and sure there I don't expect friendly service there but a games or comic shop is something else entirely.

When you walk in and are the only other person in the store not even getting a 'Hi' is frankly weird. Wandering the same empty store looking at the shelves for 20+ minutes without a 'are you looking for something in particular?' and the clerk acting like you purchasing something is taking away from their me time, why would anyone want to up with that? And that's when you're clearly a member of the nerdtribe imagine what those new to the subculture must make of it.

RPGs are not some rock cool cult (and honestly even that pose is mostly put on by the scenesters not those who actually dig the music), it is an inherently social and nerdy hobby.

In my hometown we had a good comic store and games store, the owner/clerks were chill but acknowledged your existence and we happy to recommend and discuss their wares.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back