Game/Hobby Shops Poll

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

When was the last time you stepped into a tabletop gaming/hobby store?

• Less than one month ago

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • One month to six months ago

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Six months to a year ago

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • One to three years ago

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Three to six years ago

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Six to ten years ago

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ten to fifteen years ago

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fifteen or more years ago

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Whinging when given an ultimatum intervention is some special right there. Likely is clinical depression mixed with a few other issues. Regardless, you're not being paid as their therapist, let alone obligated to put up with it even if they ante up rebreathers.

I hope that put an end to that drama. We might need to update the Geek Code of Conduct:

"No assholes at the table. Means: No stench at the table. No shitting upon the table. No glaring, suppurating, puckered, or weepy sphincters at the table. No! No means no!"

The sad part about my friend is he could not blame mental illness. He was suffering from manic depressive but he was getting medical help, medication, and had family support. It was because he had permissive paretns who never told him the word "NO" enough times. To make matters worse he refused to listen to people in general when it came to taking care of himself. He claimed we were getting too full of ourselves because we refused to tolerate his crap and left and wanted to have nothing to do with myself and the gaming group. We could care less and were relived. Before that he was also pre-diabetic and was beginning to have problems with his sight and health because of it. Any advice beyond "it's okay keep stuffing your mouth with sugar" lead to some passive-aggressive bullshit responses from him. Of course his health went worse and now suffering from health problems and partially blind he suddenly wants to be everyone friend. To hell with that I have a well adjusted normal social group I'm gaming with and hangout with outside of gaming.

I have a cousin like that. Just a complete fucking waste of humanity.

To address the OP and the poll, I last set foot in the local hobby store last week, because I realized I hadn't yet done so since I moved to Laramie. Nice place, lot of gaming space, clean... doesn't sell anything I particularly want to buy, except a couple of sets of fancy d6s decorated to look like question boxes from Super Mario Bros.

And my Shroompunk game uses d8s.

The sad part about my friend...

I had a friend in high school who I once pointed out to him that he had Doritos crumbs all on his upper lip and he said 'What do I care, I'm not trying to impress anyone.'

It struck me as very strange and I always remembered it, years and years later when I ran into some friends from that old playing group I found out he had drank himself to death by his late 30s.

Last edited:
So far these examples are reinforcing my beliefs about it being underlying and untreated depression (and other issues). :blah: These unhealthy behaviors -- with their self-destruction and masked by belligerence -- do not seem to be things within their conscious control. :quiet:

Ooops, I seem to have hit my FLGS again yesterday evening and left with the D&D 5e DM screen ... :grin: And that Adventures in Middle-Earth Player's Guide looked so shiny. It was touch and go for a minute, but I made it out of the store without buying it ... this time ...

RE: Stinkies

Stinkies are welcome at my table just like everyone else. I just issue nose filters to everyone and hang a car air freshener around the neck of the offending player. Because I'm a caring, gentle soul who isn't in any way a terrible human being.

RE: FLGS

I'm geninaully curious what the market for brick-and-mortar game (inclusive) stores are right now. I can see the TTRPG market shifting over to online, but what about board, war, card, and other kinds of games these places usually sell?

I had a friend in high school who I once pointed out to him that he had Doritos crumbs all on his upper lip and he said 'What do I care, I'm not trying to impress anyone.'

It struck me as very strange and I always remembered it, years and years later when I ran into some friends from that old playing group I found out he had drank himself to death by his late 30s.

The thing that does stick out is to me at least seems to be a sense of self destruction imo. My ex-friend was warned by everyone how bad diabetes could wreck his health and told everyone to #$%^ off!. So one on hand I feel little bad, on the other I really don't feel that bad because I was not so politely told to take a hike and mind my own business.

The thing that does stick out is to me at least seems to be a sense of self destruction imo. My ex-friend was warned by everyone how bad diabetes could wreck his health and told everyone to #$%^ off!. So one on hand I feel little bad, on the other I really don't feel that bad because I was not so politely told to take a hike and mind my own business.
When I hear stuff like that sadly i feel like it's a slow suicide attempt. You know people who could never really attempt suicide but who are so depressed they feel like dying would be better than Living. They're isolating themselves and destroying their body.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back