Game of Thrones: Who lives, who dies? [SPOILERS]

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Edgewise

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
WARNING: Spoilers if you haven't seen the 2nd episode of the 8th season of Game of Thrones.

So as we enter the home stretch of this famously bloody show, something strange has happened: nobody died for the last two episodes. However, chances are that they will more than make up for it in the next couple of weeks, as the second episode ended with the arrival of the armies of the Night King at the walls of Winterfell. This is a pitched battle between all of our favorite characters (and some less favorites) versus the dead legions of the White Walkers. And to top it all off, they have a risky plan! That should go off without a hitch.

So anyway, the point of this thread is to opine, discuss and debate these questions:
  • Who will almost certainly die next week?
  • Who will almost certainly survive next week?
  • Who will survive at the end of the series?
So let me start things off. These lists are subject to change, revision and restatement.

Who will die next week:
  • Brienne: She fulfilled her life's dream by being knighted, and said "at least we'll die honorably."
  • Jorah: He spoke up for Tyrion and got his family sword back; arc complete.
Who will live next week:
  • Arya: She still has important people left to kill, and we like her too much.
  • The Hound: Cleganebowl is still in his future.
  • Podrick: We saw him coming into his own, so he can now survive without Brienne. Plus if he died now, it would be partly her failing for not training him well enough.
Who will survive to the end?
  • Samwell Tarley: He's a lover, not a fighter. Someone has to tell the story.
  • Gilly: Can't have Sam moping around after losing Gilly.
  • Davos: That wily old onion smuggler (not a slang term) is destined to watch everyone die while he grizzles his way forward.
  • Jon or Danaerys (but not both): The simplest way to resolve their respective claims and icky relationship.
BONUS - Random prediction:
  • The attack on Winterfell is mostly a feint, and the bulk of the dead will continue onward to lay waste to King's Landing.

So, this will never happen, especially since the series went off-book and has gotten progressively Hollywood, but I think that a genius ending no one would expect, without being pointless and anti-climactic...

Everyone dies. Humanity loses. And The last shot of the series is The Night King sitting on the Iron Throne, Conan-style.

But maybe I'm just reading too much Overlord these days.

Hard to predict as they will try to swerve on our expectations. The plot against the Night King seems doomed to fail and the idea of the dead mostly passing Winterfell by and taking King's Landing makes good sense dramatically.

It occurs to me that, if it's completely unprepared, then it might take only one White Walker to take all of King's Landing.

I just know that it doesn't work dramatically if there is first a battle at Winterfell, and then one between those survivors and Cersei's forces. That would make the threat of the White Walkers feel very anticlimactic.

I wonder who the Mountain would follow if a White Walker showed up; IIRC Qyburn has suggested that necromancy has become easier of late, just as with pyromancy. It would be very cool if the Mountain became a Double Zombie. I don't think I've seen that one before.

I think we see all the dragons die next and I do mean all dead-dead. With that done we don't need Danaerys since clearly she's not going to have a dynasty (can't? have children). Oh but we need her troops for the next war so maybe she lives or gives a final command to help jon get the throne. Jons claim is close but maybe not as strong as the real bastard heir.

I like Arya becoming the queen. it puts her in the roll she never wanted which is a fine way to give a character the finger without killing them. Plus it solves the whole king in the north thing somewhat nicely since if she was the last Stark her marrying him would tidy things up nices.

oh hey, look what I found:

_e99adbd4-3b63-11e9-a8d4-ce33a0cf3537.jpg

I think we see all the dragons die next and I do mean all dead-dead.
I agree, but I don't think they will all die in this battle. Someone pointed out to me today that Cersei still has Chekov's Ballista.
With that done we don't need Danaerys since clearly she's not going to have a dynasty (can't? have children).
That's a good point.
I like Arya becoming the queen.
Don't forget Sansa is in line before her. She would be a more natural fit...I just can't picture Queen Arya.
oh hey, look what I found:
More like GOB: Game Over, Bitches.

I do enjoy a bit of speculation :smile:

I kinda think that Jon Aegon is doomed even though he's been deaded once already (which ought to earn him immunity). He'll make it past next week I think but fall in battle against Cersei. My prediction is that Daenerys is pregnant with his child and that the child will be male and a psycho (because inbreeding produces psychos) thus ensuring that the cycle of mad kings continues (dark twist ending). Also I'm gonna predict that Jaime kills Cersei (preferably by literally stabbing her in the back) because he da kingslayer and that's how he rolls and history ought to repeat itself (quite possibly including Cersei deciding to blow up King's Landing) and cos tragic lovers arc completed.

I would like Jorah to live. He has survived greyscale, which again ought to earn him some death immunity. He's probably too in love with Dany to not die heroically defending her though. Ah well. Or he might well die protecting Lyanna, who is "the future" of House Mormont.

I agree that Brienne is toast.

I'm hoping that Arya survives the whole thing although I would say it's about 50/50, especially after she boned Gendry (OMG! little Arya!). I'm looking forward to some badass double-bladed lightsaber moves from her next week.

Edit: How about... Sandor dies saving Arya from certain death in next week's battle and then, during the everyone-still-alive-vs-Cersei battle, Arya takes out Ser Gregor. Who wouldn't want to see that fight? :hehe:

Last edited:
Arya kills either Jon or dany.

Arya has a sex scene? 4chan will explode!

Alternatively...

The Night King kicks everyone's ass next week and the survivors are forced to retreat south to King's Landing where Cersei finally gets with the program (or is murdered by Jaime - still liking that one). Cersei had plan-b'd to self-destruct King's Landing with wildfire which means that there is still a huge cache of the stuff lying around. Jon/Aegon kamikazes the Night King atop a wildfire-laden dragon. Jon/Aegon, dragon and Nignt King go boom. The end. Apart from the epilogue where pyscho boychild of Jon/Aegon and Dany is seen pulling the wings off butterflies in the castle grounds. Also presumably cut to Sam recounting the 'old stories' to his eighty-five grandchildren before fade to end titles.

Is Gilly s son Sama or her father's?

Deckard comes home to find Rachel is safe. Curiously he also finds an origami unicorn placed there by Gaff. He then leaves with Rachel.

The crypt is filled with dead Stark's right? Somehow I see that as a poor place to hide from a necromancer.....

Well from the books I think it is fairly heavily implied Jamie will kill Cersei from Maggy the Frog's prophecy together with how Jamie has been developing. I'd say the show will do the same since it has retained more than enough elements from his arc for it to be the natural conclusion.

Beyond that I'm not really sure.

I'm interested, if the books eventually come out, to compare and contrast. The Others/White Walkers are already quite different for example. Being beautiful and ethereal in the books vs "monsters" in the show. I also suspect Stannis will have a very different story in the books.

Last edited:
If anyone actually sits on the throne in the finale, then I think Arya will be the one
However I doubt that anyone will sit on the throne, I think that it may actually perish
Just putting that out there :thumbsup:

Or
In the finale scene we will see Sam return home, sit down with his family, and smile, sighing "Well, I'm Back"
:grin:

Last edited:
Sansa dies with whatshisname ironborn guy watching. He tries to save he and fails. He has to live with her death and no balls. Or the lady of light restores his balls and greyworms. Maybe all the unsullied. That's a different one.

Arya won’t become Queen, she is too much the rebel for that. Sansa seems to obvious choice, after all she’s suffered too I don’t think she will die.

I somehow doubt they will kill both dragons, although I could see them going that way. The return of the dragons ushered in a time of returned magic, not sure it would be so short-lived.

I have my doubts that Jon will die because then what was the point of his resurrection? If he does die it will be spectacularly against the White Walkers not Cercei.

Heh, my friend put together a GOT pool...sorta like Fantasy Football (I think, because I have never done Fantasy Football). But it reminds me of all this.
I do think Jaimie will kill Cersei.
I think Bronn gets a castle.
And I'm rooting for everyone to mostly die except Tyrion who will sit on the Iron Throne...because he drinks and knows things.
I think red-head Godsbane will save Brienne...and they make giant babies.

But I dare to say that all those dead bodies in the crypts will be returning to life. Bad idea to hide people in the crypts against an enemy that reanimate corpses...
I figure that most of them have to be dust at this point. It does seem a bit telegraphed, though. If they go that way, I'll be disappointed because it seems like a pretty obvious thing to think of.

I figure that most of them have to be dust at this point. It does seem a bit telegraphed, though. If they go that way, I'll be disappointed because it seems like a pretty obvious thing to think of.
Need won't be dust... Plus it's cold in the North. Natures preservative!

"A song of Ice and Fire". Jon = Ice. Daenerys = Fire.

They both survive, marry, and she rules from the Iron Throne. You read it here first.

Are you watching the same show I am? Happy endings don't exist.

"A song of Ice and Fire". Jon = Ice. Daenerys = Fire.

They both survive, marry, and she rules from the Iron Throne. You read it here first.
I called it when the book came out. Dragons vs ice zombies. The rest is just filler.

Wait, wait, wait, let me get this straight...

ARYA was the Prince Who Was Promised? ARYA?! :shock:

I got a lot of things right; the predictions I got wrong were:
  • Brienne lived when I thought she would die
  • Both Jon and Daenerys lived when I thought only one would survive
But the thing I was most wrong about was my bonus side prediction: there was no blitz on King's Landing from the Night King. I feel like the resolution of this battle was disappointingly anticlimactic and very Hollywood in the worst way. After an apocalyptic fight between light and dark, we are now left with a mere dynastic struggle to be resolved in three episodes.

Also, there was some terrible lighting on a lot of these scenes. I think there were a lot of missed opportunities in terms of visual splendor.

Finally, I didn't think they would go for the obvious thing that everyone was talking about: animating the dead in the crypts. But they did. So why didn't that occur to a single person in Winterfell when it occurred to every single person who watched the episode?
So there were disappointments for me. But there were a couple of good things, like:
Little girls being badasses, although I suppose we can't think of Arya as little, anymore. And Lady Mormont's heroic demise was pleasingly true to GoT's more longstanding treatment of beloved characters i.e. the best they can hope for is a glorious death.

I quite liked it. I know a lot of people had issues with it being too dark but we just turned off all the lights and it was fine. I was actually glad they didn't get too kill happy and was glad they didn't drag out the conclusion of the battle in the Godswood. I just wanted the NK gone by this point and think two more episodes to resolve the rest and one more for an epilogue feels right to me.

I quite liked it. I know a lot of people had issues with it being too dark but we just turned off all the lights and it was fine. I was actually glad they didn't get too kill happy and was glad they didn't drag out the conclusion of the battle in the Godswood. I just wanted the NK gone by this point and think two more episodes to resolve the rest and one more for an epilogue feels right to me.

Yeah... the more I've thought about it, the more sense it makes. It just feels like it fits the show perfectly that the heroes were inconveniently hindered in their pursuit of the real conflict by the fact that they had to run off and fight an ancient world-destroying evil a little. :tongue:

Still got about half an hour to go. But I can't help but feel the producers got things the wrong way round. It started with ice zombies, it should end with them too.

I thought it was cool having Arya kill the Night King. I wonder is she Azor Ahai then or are prophecies ultimately just nonsense. I wonder did Melisandre suspect so in the end.
Still curious will the Night King turn out to have the same motivations (i.e. kill all life) in the books.

On one hand that was very impressive television.

On the other hand I was bored to tears.

Somewhere along the line GoT dropped the ball and, despite the epic big battle against zombie mans, I just don't care anymore.

Fortuantely for me, it seems neither does George R Martin.

I hope more fantasy TV gets made off the back of this. I'm glad it's proved popular, though I doubt it's quite the genre watershed I'd like it to be. There are stories I'd be more interested in seeing adapted - or better yet, why not create something original. There are some great SF origina tv shows, why not fantasy (well there's killjoys and parts of Discovery).

Or just do Malazan and blow people's minds.

I liked it. Not perfect (final part dragging way too much with all the slo-mo) and if you stop to think about it, the tactics make no sense from both sides, but it was fun.

And I think it's very fitting for the show to end with a human struggle instead of a supernatural one.

I liked it. Not perfect (final part dragging way too much with all the slo-mo) and if you stop to think about it, the tactics make no sense from both sides, but it was fun.

And I think it's very fitting for the show to end with a human struggle instead of a supernatural one.

Yeah definitely not much sense to a lot of the tactics but just like I don't expect realism in a martial arts film (and often the genius pfnthe foghts is how unrealistic they are) it didn't bother me either.

I think that was true until they went off-book. Since then it seems characters have plot immunity. It's fine, but no longer surprising.

Yeah plus an extra helping of plot immunity for fan favourites it seems. More people really should have died in the zombie apocalypse. To me it felt like it's had this long, long build up and then it started out looking like it was going to be an absolute slaughter and then, in the end, it wasn't really that bad. Mostly everyone we give a shit about survived. They better all die next week! That's all I'm saying.

We need a decent twist over the next couple of weeks - Tyrion turning out to be a Targaryen (as per fan theories) and ending up on the Iron Throne after Daenerys kills Jon and is then assassinated by Arya. Tyrion then marries Sansa and makes Arya his Hand.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back