Games other than D&D that use multiple polyhedrals

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Teyrnon

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
This afternoon I was talking about dice with a friend and it got me to wondering what games use a variety of polyhedral dice other than D&D. The only ones I could think of are Earthdawn and Cortex. I know there are others but they aren't coming to mind. A majority of RPGs use either d6s or d10s. Makes me wonder if there are any systems that favor d8s.

Savage Worlds uses all of them in equal frequency.

Dungeon Crawl Classics uses d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24, d30 as well.

Most of the BRP family of games (RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Magic World, Drakar och Demoner, Mutant, Mutant RYMD, Mutant: Undergångens Arvtagare, Mythras, Järn etc) uses the standard D&D polyhedral stuff. Some varieties use only d100s and d6s though, but that's still more than one type of die.

Unisystem (Witchcraft, All Flesh Must be Eaten, Buffy, Angel etc) also uses several types of polyhedral dice. Actually, I think cinematic Unisystem (so Buffy and Angel) only uses d10s.

Almost all Chaosium RPGs. Mostly percentage rolls with D10s, but weapon damage uses the other dice.

Maybe not the D12 though.

After edit: Beaten like a rented mule.

Savage Worlds. I'm assuming you mentioning D&D was also including all the OSR and D20 derivatives as well, but just stating it directly.

Savage Worlds. I'm assuming you mentioning D&D was also including all the OSR and D20 derivatives as well, but just stating it directly.
Good clarification. I pretty much lump D20, D&D Retroclones, and other derivatives under the D&D when it comes to the dice used.

Fight! uses all of them except d20 and d100, but only 1 for any given roll.

FFG Star Wars and Genesys uses three of them, though they use their own fancy symbolic bit in place of numbers.

Earthdawn.

All the dice in all the combinations you can imagine.

In Ubiquity (Hollow Earth Expedition and others) it doesn't matter what dice you use, as long as they have an even number of sides (or, to put it another way, it uses the d02 system).

Fighters United uses dice with 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 sides. Often they're combined, too!
(These are your stats, and Fighters can surpass the human maximum of d12).

All of Sanguine's games use all the polyhedrals, except d20 is omitted in the newer variations. (In Usagi Yojimbo d20s are used for rolling damage). These are your stats and skills.
And there are even non-furry games in the Sanguine catalog:tongue:!

...ahem, I can go on and on. How many examples do you want:grin:? Technically, I prefer games that use one kind of dice, d6 if possible. I just don't let that dissuade me from trying a game.

Palladium is pretty much d6, d20 and pecentile

Also d8s and d4s. d4s are really common for damage. Oddly, Palladium hardly ever uses the d12. It may not use it at all.

Interlock (Mekton and Cyberpunk) uses d10 and d6.

Dogs in the Vineyard uses d4, d6, d8, d10 (no d12 or d20).

Dogs in the Vineyard uses d4, d6, d8, d10 (no d12 or d20).
I seem to remember that In A Wicked Age does the same. Though maybe it uses a d12?

Index Card rpg makes a point of using different polyhedrals although I suppose its not-D&Dness is debatable.

Deadlands (20th anniversary edition at least) uses d4, d6, d8, d10, d12. and sometimes d20. Also cards and poker chips.

The Window and Fable are both ultra-lite free online RPGs that make use of a step-ladder of polyhedral die types

There are quite a few little game that use escalating dice from D4 to D12, give or take.

Cortex games (Firefly, Leverage, etc.)
Sentinels RPG
Danger Patrol
Ryuutama

I remember back in the late 80s when I started making a big and serious homebrew system, I decided it was only going to use d6s. I went through all sorts of contortions to avoid any other die type.

I have no idea why beyond the fact that other games seemed to be making the same contortions.

It was kind of liberating when, years later, I came back to an abbreviated version of my old homebrew. I had always had problems with damage ratings and fitting them to the d6 only convention. Then I remembered I wasn't restricted to d6s only as I had tons of polyhedral dice.

Another place that d12 gets all the love is Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns. It uses them exclusively.

Some people consider it an RPG, some don't, but Advanced Heroquest by GW uses d12s exclusively.

Gamma World (4th edition) uses the usual range of dice (and also uses d2 and d3 for some stuff).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back