Games Workshop in General

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
lol, sounds like you'd prefer metal minis - no assembly, just paint n play

Maybe it's just my tastes, but it seems anytime I'm interested in a metal miniature, they require assembly. That's probably because my preferences run towards large or vehicle figures (as well as older pieces).

Plus, I'd rather work with plastic minis. When assembling, they glue together more securely. Plus they're just ligher and easier to handle.

I'm definitely more of a board gamer. I just want to take the minis out and play. I have very little interest in painting, and assembly is mostly just a means to an end. Sometimes I can get into the model building part if the models are well done, but even then I just want to get things put together and get it over with.

I am hugely nostalgic about the late 80s and early 90s GW. Looking at scans of old White Dwarf makes me happy.

TristramEvans TristramEvans , that Skaven army book that you sold me about a year ago still gets looked at even now. That book is a pure dose of nostalgia endorphins. I would LOVE to get my hands on a classic Skaven army from that time. Even just a box of plastic Clan rats (the sword and shield ones).

Funny enough, I don't have fond memories of actually PLAYING WFB. In those days it was dubbed "HERO HAMMER" because of the escalating war of buffing your heroes and champions. Fucking Tyrion and Teclis and the High Elf Army. ASSHOLES!!!

But I still feel happy thinking about the art and minis from those days. Warhammer Quest changed my life. It was like Hero Quest but BIGGER and BETTER! Sort of.

I am hugely nostalgic about the late 80s and early 90s GW. Looking at scans of old White Dwarf makes me happy.

TristramEvans TristramEvans , that Skaven army book that you sold me about a year ago still gets looked at even now. That book is a pure dose of nostalgia endorphins. I would LOVE to get my hands on a classic Skaven army from that time. Even just a box of plastic Clan rats (the sword and shield ones).

I was lucky in that my nostalgia for the classic Skaven preceeded the Oldhammer boom by a few years. Back @2010-2011 you could grab those lovely Jes Goodwins for about a buck a piece. They've been climbing steadily since - I look at prices now, and people want $10-20 a piece. I don't know how anyone could put together a full army with those prices :sad:

How long have expansions for Space Marine Adventures existed? I was playing it just last night, couldn't recall some oddball rules thing, checked BGG... Expansions???

One of the benefits of where I work is it's literally next door to a Barnes & Noble. So I ran over and snagged both expansions. I found out at the same time there are Blitz Bowl expansions!

No idea why this stuff is B&N exclusive, but it does work pretty well for me, as long as my B&N actually stocks the stuff.

I also picked up a spare core set of Space Marine Adventures. I recommend it if you'd like a light little game themed with a light dash of 40K and corridor shooting. It's easy to teach, plays quick, and is easily soloable.

I had that. It was called Ace of Aces.
800px-AceOfAces-Game.png
Fucking LOVE this game. Found a copy of the Flying Machines set for 20 bucks at HPB a few years ago. The pamphlet and box were rough, but the books are in surprisingly good shape. I was thrilled. I think Flying Buffalo still has a hardback edition for like $75.

Edit: worth noting that this system was adapted to Fantasy (Lost World's, which had some T&T tie-ins) and Mechs (Battletech).

Last edited:
I've had Blackstone Fortress since release, but I hadn't played it until just recently.

I think the biggest obstacle has just been my inherent depression and ease of frustration. I'm sure GW split the rulebook into three booklets with the intent of making learning the game less intimidating. For me it did the exact opposite. Plus, I feel the rulebooks are written poorly and disorganized. It made dealing with them irritating.

But, I've finally gotten around to learning how to play. The cardboard is finally punched. The cards are finally out of their plastic wrap. I've played my first sessions. We're still in the first expedition, and I like the game.

Something interesting is how the products related to this game have simply disappeared. Last month I recall checking and the only expansion that was getting slightly difficult to find was Dreaded Ambul. Now that I'm playing the game, it seems all the small box monster expansions are sold out and through the roof in price on the secondary market. GW has delisted nearly everything beyond the big two boxed expansions. I guess I should have gotten started playing the game sooner.

Something similar happened with Kill Team. I just recently picked up the box set. I remember as recently as two months ago, Amazon had tons and tons of expansions available for the game. There were at least a dozen pre-packaged Kill Teams with models and cards. And now? All that stuff is just gone. It's not on the GW site. It's not for sale anywhere except on ebay for double and triple the price.

Is GW always like this? One day there will be a big product line, everything will be in stock. Then the very next day everything is delisted and people are selling it on ebay for four times the list price? I've seen this happen with single items before, so I'm not surprised at that. What blows my mind about these recent things is they are complete game lines that just went out of stock one day and immediately became scalper items.

I've had Blackstone Fortress since release, but I hadn't played it until just recently.

I think the biggest obstacle has just been my inherent depression and ease of frustration. I'm sure GW split the rulebook into three booklets with the intent of making learning the game less intimidating. For me it did the exact opposite. Plus, I feel the rulebooks are written poorly and disorganized. It made dealing with them irritating.

But, I've finally gotten around to learning how to play. The cardboard is finally punched. The cards are finally out of their plastic wrap. I've played my first sessions. We're still in the first expedition, and I like the game.

Something interesting is how the products related to this game have simply disappeared. Last month I recall checking and the only expansion that was getting slightly difficult to find was Dreaded Ambul. Now that I'm playing the game, it seems all the small box monster expansions are sold out and through the roof in price on the secondary market. GW has delisted nearly everything beyond the big two boxed expansions. I guess I should have gotten started playing the game sooner.

Something similar happened with Kill Team. I just recently picked up the box set. I remember as recently as two months ago, Amazon had tons and tons of expansions available for the game. There were at least a dozen pre-packaged Kill Teams with models and cards. And now? All that stuff is just gone. It's not on the GW site. It's not for sale anywhere except on ebay for double and triple the price.

Is GW always like this? One day there will be a big product line, everything will be in stock. Then the very next day everything is delisted and people are selling it on ebay for four times the list price? I've seen this happen with single items before, so I'm not surprised at that. What blows my mind about these recent things is they are complete game lines that just went out of stock one day and immediately became scalper items.
Yep, GW is always like that. That’s why I don’t play their boardgames. X number of boxes made, then nothing, it’s gone...until the next printing. The rarity of the Boxed Games means they will be snapped up like crazy by the EBay scalpers, guaranteeing a quick sell out no matter how high the price. I was lucky to get Blackstone Fortress at normal price a few weeks ago. I decided to do it for the minis before it vanished for a few years.

I was a long time fan of GW but I really fell out of love with them over some of their anti-consumer practices.

I still play 40k sometimes. The new edition has some things I like: vehicles are no longer mobile piles of kindling waiting for a lucky lascannon shot to blow them up. However, giving the Hero units dozens of wounds kind of feels video game-y.

I really liked Warhammer's Old World, more for the RPG than the Wargame, so I have never forgiven GW for retiring such a unique setting with such a great aesthetic and replacing it with something that I can only describe as "Warcraft-esque" and not in a good way.

Hey, this isn't GW, but is loosely tangentially related and I don't want to make a new topic just for this one question.

A few years ago, there was some company that was going to do a Space Hulk clone. Or at least that's what it seemed to be to me. The twist is that the Terminator equivalents were all miniatures of the female persuasion, and they had some racy bits. I recall this came to the attention of the rage mob of teh intarnetz, and there some some outcry. The company used the opportunity to offer the game in two separate formats: one with the racy miniatures, and one with minis where the ladies didn't have their boobs hanging out.

What ever happened to that game? Did it ever get released? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Not famiiiar with that one. It was scifi? Was there a kickstarter?

You mean Nemesis?

It's a great game mechanically and in terms of theme. One of my favourites.

Hey, this isn't GW, but is loosely tangentially related and I don't want to make a new topic just for this one question.

A few years ago, there was some company that was going to do a Space Hulk clone. Or at least that's what it seemed to be to me. The twist is that the Terminator equivalents were all miniatures of the female persuasion, and they had some racy bits. I recall this came to the attention of the rage mob of teh intarnetz, and there some some outcry. The company used the opportunity to offer the game in two separate formats: one with the racy miniatures, and one with minis where the ladies didn't have their boobs hanging out.

What ever happened to that game? Did it ever get released? Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Space Crusade by Prodos Games. Some of the models are actually quite nice - I like the Sirins, the generic armoured crusaders are okay but could do with more weight to them, and I like what they're going for with the dreadnought but needs more body horror - but I think the combination of power armoured limbs and nippleguards-and-g-strings doesn't quite work; go full witch elf or full sister of battle, either is a great aesthetic, but they don't mix well.

But check these out, they're really good! If I ever get around to finishing my Chaos Marine army (Which I never will, let's be honest) they'd definitely have a place.

1603491824755.png
1603491832789.png
1603491858259.png 1603491817773.png

Wow! Crazy. Nemesis also had a big argument in the Kickstarter about sexualization of the women. So that's two Space Hulk like games this has happened to!

That's the one. Did they ever do the board game at all? Did it just end up being a miniatures line?
Hmm, I thought the game had came out, but looks like you're right and it wound up just being the minis.

go full witch elf or full sister of battle, either is a great aesthetic, but they don't mix well.
Umm, Repentia? :devil:
843D6C6E-D7BE-44C6-BCA1-62610FC5EE28.jpeg
82F2F53B-62D1-46AD-9CFE-797AB54EF74C.jpeg

If you like actual sisters in their machines, there’s these.

6978EFA3-AFC6-4296-A812-4848E353D83A.jpeg

I swear if I win the lottery some of these smaller mini companies are just going to get an order for: ALL

Umm, Repentia? :devil:
TBH I consider GW's Repentia to be "full witch elf", but yeah, I gotta admit those ones combine the aesthetics well!

But more body horror for the penitent engines! The pilot is meant to be in pain and showing it, not looking calm and serene!

TBH I consider GW's Repentia to be "full witch elf", but yeah, I gotta admit those ones combine the aesthetics well!

But more body horror for the penitent engines! The pilot is meant to be in pain and showing it, not looking calm and serene!
Yeah. I like the idea of the machines powered by Purity and Faith though. The Sisters focus too much on pain for any non-Slaaneshi force. :devil:

This is my favourite by Ragin Heroes...the linework and pose, capturing the classic Witch elf model it's based upon perfectly while improving on it.

raging-heroes-sinzirith_1_8182d0ef03db4c2f794f434bd3981f33.jpg

This is my favourite by Ragin Heroes...the linework and pose, capturing the classic Witch elf model it's based upon perfectly while improving on it.

View attachment 23667

Yeah their Dark Elves are Off the Hook and the Chain. I was thinking of using them as proxies for a Slaanesh army. It would cost me way too much money and probably a year to paint, but it would be glorious.

I have always been enthralled by both WFB and 40K, and enjoyed checking out GW stores in my trips to the UK, but never built up the courage to get into either as it was a rather expensive hobby even when the exchange rate was more favorable.

Nevertheless I am a big fan of the IP. Partial to the roleplaying games, of course, but even the fiction is something of a guilty pleasure.

And since videogames have been mentioned: my soul belongs to Warhammer: Vermintide 2 these days. I’ve been going back and forth on getting Total War: Warhammer 2 (but have been instructed to pick up another Total War game before trying it), Warhammer 40,000: Martyr and Warhammer: Chaosbane (but the lackluster reviews for both gave me pause) and Space Hulk: Deathwing (not sure how fun it is compared to Vermintide).

View attachment 23667
I love her sword. It's ridiculously over-the-top in exactly the right sort of way.

And since videogames have been mentioned: my soul belongs to Warhammer: Vermintide 2 these days. I’ve been going back and forth on getting Total War: Warhammer 2 (but have been instructed to pick up another Total War game before trying it), Warhammer 40,000: Martyr and Warhammer: Chaosbane (but the lackluster reviews for both gave me pause) and Space Hulk: Deathwing (not sure how fun it is compared to Vermintide).
I've started Total Warhammer (2) twice and both times just not managed to get into it. There's something about the experience that isn't quite clicking for me, and I wish I could work out what it is because I certainly want to like it.

Martyr is... okay. It's a bit clunky and I think the gear system goes a bit overboard in the level of what you can tweak, but when it works it's a fun ARPG in the Destiny-like mould. I think it's the very definition of a 7/10 game; not going to set the world on fire, but the sort of thing where if you like the genre and setting those will help you get past the flaws. I wouldn't say to rush out and buy it, but if you see it on discount in a sale, it's worth a go.

I've started Total Warhammer (2) twice and both times just not managed to get into it. There's something about the experience that isn't quite clicking for me, and I wish I could work out what it is because I certainly want to like it.

I was advised to check out an early Total War game (Empire) and seeing if I enjoy the franchise before getting into the more expensive Warhammer game. Maybe this is why.

It seems pretty clear that men are extinct in the Raging Heroes universe. Gutted for sacrifices I expect.

I think they were just filling in a gap left by Games Workshop.

Well, yeah, Space Crusade is basically a joke about female space marines. It was never meant to be taken seriously. Still, I've got that female demon and it's a lovely model, I can't even begin to imagine how it could come out of a single mould.

I think they were just filling in a gap left by Games Workshop.
Which is a ridiculous gap anyway, given how many battlefield factions are canonically mixed-gender (Tau, every flavour of Eldar, Guard, AdMech, Inquisition, and logically Genestealer Cults and Chaos cultists too; the Imperium is many things, but it oppresses and uses all genders equally).

I was about to write something flippant about wanting sexy Necron models, but what do you know. Also, cybernipples!
1604021089692.png
1604021095815.png
Of course, if you want fan art of sexy Necrons, the internet can provide.

Genestealer Cults

I've wanted this miniature ever since I learned about it. I need to pick this one up to replace my Magus from Deathwatch: Overkill. I don't care that my painting skills aren't good enough to make the result look as cool as this. She's just badass

Magus.jpg

Space Hulk: Deathwing (not sure how fun it is compared to Vermintide)
Played it over the summer. Deathwing was clearly unfinished. The plot just suddenly stops at what was probably originally the ~60% point and most of the implied bigger Tyranids and traitor marines are never seen. It's also too easy in its unfinished state as the AI is a bit thick. I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, using that name got a lot of people excited and then really pissed off. Ahhh Prodos, the unfulfilled promises company...

Is it weird that I really like the boards and terrain in the new Age of Sigmar: Warcry box, but have absolutely no interest in any of the unit models?

I painted the warcry terrain for a friend wh bought the starter box. It was a really nice set.

The game itself I don't much like. But I'll play it occasionally in between games of Kill Team. Every GW fantasy army is supported, you don't have to be one of the weird Chaos not-Warrior factons at least

I've never been able to get into the miniature wargames stuff. Firstly, because it was/is simply too expensive. Secondly, because I figured out pretty quickly that assembling and painting the miniatures, simply isn't my thing. Big kudos to those who do though.

But I love Warhammer Quest and Necromunda. My brother is a huge fan of Blood Bowl, so I have played a lot of that as well.

I also find the lore of both WFB and Warhammer: 40000 fascinating to read about. So I have bought some of the army books, just to read.

There is a lot of videogames of GW stuff. Most of it is crap though. But here is some of the ones I have played and liked.

Total War: Warhammer 1 & 2: I have played 1 twice (Empire and Wood Elves). Have only played 2 once as High Elves. I really like these games, but that isn't surprising since I liked Total War before them. Shogun 2 is my favorite TW game. They are definitely a bit simpler than older tw games, but that might be a plus to some. I find the DLC strategy for these games annoying though. Too many to keep track off.

Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War 2. This is a RTS game. In the campaign you control personalized special units, that all stay with you through the entire game. You gain new abilites, find new weapons, special items and armor as you go along. There is a lot of customization options for your unit and squads. I had a huge appreciation of my squad, at the end of the game.

Warhammer 40000: Gladius: This is a 4X strategy game. It's set on a single planet (Gladius Prime). This game get's a new faction expansion every year. This year I think it's supposed to be Eldar. The current factions are: Orks, Space Marines, Necrons, Adeptus Mechanicus, Chaos Space Marines, Tau and Tyranids.

Warhammer 40000: Space Marine: This is a third-person cover shooter. You play as Captain Titus a Space Marine of the Ultramarines chapter. It was released in 2011, but still holds up graphically in my opinion. Excellent game if you want to bash some Ork skulls and shoot some Chaos Space Marines and Daemons.

There is a lot of videogames of GW stuff. Most of it is crap though.

I like the turn based ones, but they definitely aren't top shelf stuff. It probably doesn't help that (nearly?) all of them are originally mobile games. Plus, I say I like them, but in practice I don't devote much of any time to them. Although, I have been getting the urge to play some Space Hulk Tactics recently.

I've been intending to get Mechanicus for my PS4, but I've been waiting for it to go on sale.

I've seen Necromunda, but I had thought it was a third person shooter/action game. But I recently saw something that indicated it was a turn based tactical game? It's not anywhere near the top of my list, but if it's turn based I might bite. It's just that the trailers and screenshots on the PS Store make it look like an action game, and the game description seems to imply that it's a 3P shooty/hacky type game. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time the promo copy tries to cover up something is turn based.

I've been intending to get Mechanicus for my PS4, but I've been waiting for it to go on sale.

I've seen Necromunda, but I had thought it was a third person shooter/action game. But I recently saw something that indicated it was a turn based tactical game? It's not anywhere near the top of my list, but if it's turn based I might bite. It's just that the trailers and screenshots on the PS Store make it look like an action game, and the game description seems to imply that it's a 3P shooty/hacky type game. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time the promo copy tries to cover up something is turn based.

I own Mechanicus as well, but haven't played it. It was one of those games I had on my wishlist on GOG, and then just bought when it got on sale.
For those who are interested, here is a review of it from a Youtuber I follow.

I have Necromunda on my wishlist on Steam. From what I know it's XCom style game, but in third-person view instead of isometric. This gameplay video I found on Youtube, will probably explain it better than I can.

Really, at this point, the more GW talks about its settings the less I like them. I liked the Thunder Warriors when they were humans with cobbled together archaeotech who allied with the Emperor to retake Earth. Now they're super demigod super warriors with super weapons. Blech...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back