Genesys question

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Tom B

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I've been looking over the rules and was wondering something. You only have an attribute range of up to 5, same for skills. 20 XP per session is recommended, and it only costs 5 times the next still level (sometimes +5).

It seems like you could be topping out your skills pretty rapidly. The only other thing I'm aware of to spend XP on would be Talents. Are the Talents sufficient to dilute skill advancement?

How does this work in actual play?

In our games most players split their XP between talents and skills. It did slow down skill progression quite a bit, but when a player chooses to max out a skill they will do it fairly rapidly, especially at 20xp per session. I have found 10xp per to be better for my games. Advancement isn't quick but it takes longer to cap skills.

Keep in mind non-class skills cost an extra 5xp per level so that's going to slow things down as well.

That's the feeling I'm getting, that the XP examples in the book might be a bit generous. Thanks.

Not a problem. At 20xp per session, a class skill they dropped two ranks in at creation would take three sessions to cap out, and that seems a bit much to me personally.

My concern is that I tend to run long-term campaigns, and don't want them to run out of room to grow.

In our Star Wars game (FFG Force and Destiny) its been 10 XP a session, and we've hardly maxed out after a year and a half? Two? Of play. If you want to stretch it out you can slow down the XP gain

I did try 5xp per session while playing twice a month and it really limited growth and advancing was a slog. I plan to bump that up with the next game.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back