Gifting first RPG?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

dbm

AFK
Reaction score
My friend (who is also a RPer and gamer in general) has a 9-year old daughter who loves board games and is really smart. She has discovered the existence of RPGs and is keen to start playing; with an appropriate game I am sure my friend would help start her out.

What suggestions would anyone have for a first RPG for a pre-teen? She is very good with reading and math, and she holds her own in board games against adults. But she still had Mr Bunny looking after her cash whilst playing Powergrid so she is still a 9-year old in terms of emotional development etc. So, I wouldn’t want to promote a game that was too violent or gory, neither would I want to promote a game that is just about fighting. I feel D&D is a poor fit for a first game in these circumstances.

Any suggestions for a game with interesting enough ‘game play’ to hook someone, whilst not being solely combat focussed or too grown-up in tone or presentation? Her most likely route to becoming a life-long gamer is getting some of her friends to play too, so ‘likely to be of interest to pre-teen girls in general’ would be a plus.

My current best-guess is Mouse Guard...

It would help if we knew what she likes. For instance, does she enjoy Star Wars, My Little Pony, Wonder Woman, etc.?

My kids, current ages 8 and 9, have enjoyed Tails of Equestria, 1st edition WEG Star Wars, and Basic D&D starting a year or so ago. If they get more interested in superheroes I'd probably start them with TSR Marvel Super Heroes (the yellow box).

Also, just as an aside, if you run D&D for them and don't make it all about fighting, it needn't be. My kids did riddle- and puzzle-solving, negotiation, treasure-hunting, and exploration, with only the occasional combat.

Last edited:
I shall ask for more intel on her wider interests, however general suggestions still welcome :smile:

My 9 year old's best friend just got the Stranger Things 5E tie-in box, and they're going to play it tomorrow.

John Wick's Cat RPG is only $6 and has a simple and intuitive system that (IMHO) is perfect for a child.

My current best-guess is Mouse Guard...
Hell no, don't give her a game that requires you to have GM turns and player turns:shock:!

I mean, you want something with cute animals for her? I think Woodland Warriors would fit that bill.
And Usagi Yojimbo, for when she grows up a bit.

I think, however, that your best approach is to inquire what sort of GMs her father and mother are, and give her a game that would complement their styles:thumbsup:.

When I was 9 years old I liked Warhammer Fantasy

I also hated being pandered down to by stuff aimed at kids
That's true as well:smile:. But I think it's up to the OP...and besides, I don't think Woodland Warriors is aimed at kids, more like kids-friendly, so my suggestion still holds.

Also, dbm dbm you might want to look at both Beyond the Wall and Woodland Warriors:thumbsup:!

Nice suggestions so far, but what about her tastes in regard to TV shows and animations? Perhaps you could find this out and try a game that caters to those? Like, any game based on Steven Universe or Adventure Time or something?

Also, how about a good ol' fighting fantasy book like Wizard of Firetop Mountain?

Is Faery's Tale (Green Ronin) still in print? That's a fun one, relatively quick to learn, and can be played as light or dark as you want while staying on-theme.

Last edited:
My suggestion is Basic Fantasy. It's pretty compatible with other OSR games if she likes it. It's well written. It and all it's supplements are free PDFs should she get into it. It's cheap in print. It doesn't pander in any way. I would have been all over it at nine.

Thanks for the continuing suggestions. I’ve known her dad for over 30 years so I have his measure. Should have some time to chat with him next weekend about the other things his daughter is in to.

I agree that a game which would talk-down is a poor option. I have a strong aversion to No thanks, Evil based on the image it projects.

I cannot imagine a preteen who likes being pandered to or fed obvious "made for children" content. The number one reason most adults seem like total tools to kids is because adults talk down to kids as if they were stupid.

I cannot imagine a preteen who likes being pandered to or fed obvious "made for children" content. The number one reason most adults seem like total tools to kids is because adults talk down to kids as if they were stupid.
Oh, so Kult shouldn't be off the table then?

I don't see anyone suggesting 'pandering'... just ideas for games that someone that age MIGHT be interested in... but not knowing the kid it's hard to guess. My friends' 12yr old daughter is currently obsessed with manga... especially stories about school kids and relationships. She's got a thing for, as she puts it, "big titty goth girls"... but I'm not inclined to cater to all her fancies when we're playing games.

Oh, so Kult shouldn't be off the table then?
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are using hyperbole to make some kind of point. Do I really need to explain the HUGE middle ground between pandering to children and gifting them a copy of something like FATAL or Kult? If someone's emotional intelligence is so low that they don't get that distinction they probably shouldn't be allowed near children in the first place.

I don't see anyone suggesting 'pandering'... just ideas for games that someone that age MIGHT be interested in... but not knowing the kid it's hard to guess. My friends' 12yr old daughter is currently obsessed with manga... especially stories about school kids and relationships. She's got a thing for, as she puts it, "big titty goth girls"... but I'm not inclined to cater to all her fancies when we're playing games.
So, would she prefer Ninja High School RPG? Or HearthQuest RPG:smile:?
The goth girls would be viable characters in either:grin:!

Something like Tiny Dungeon, OneDiceFantasy, Index Card RPG, or Four Against Darkness?

I’m currently reading my copy of Blue Rose 2e to see if it might fit the likely bill. (ETA: no, due to too adult themes)

Thanks for more suggestions!

Last edited:
So, I had the chance to talk to my friend about his daughter’s interests. She really loves fantasy, from Lord of the Rings through to Harry Potter and Percy Jackson.

Based on that I'd probably go with the D&D Essentials Kit or the Starter Set. I might also consider the Princess Bride RPG or the newer edition of Blue Rose.

How about White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game? A light weight OSR game that is cheap enough on Amazon to gift to anyone and everyone.

A 5e beginner product might be good too, just for to increased chance that her friends might know what the current version of D&D is, which could simplify getting players from her peer group.

For a non-D&D game that still has those trappings, how about Heroes & Other Worlds? Built on the bones of The Fantasy Trip, short and sweet, fast and easy at the table.

Dungeon Squad by Jason Morningstar is a nifty stripped down fantasy game for kids. Beyond the Wall also does a great job of tweaking B/X for classic YA fantasy (Le Guin, Alexander, Garner).

I think a nice looking book with evocative artwork is also good for sparking kid's imaginations.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back