GMed my first Pathfinder 2e session. Ask me anything.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

KrakaJak

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
GMed my first session last night. Running for 5 players. An all Goblin squad.

Things that surprised me:
First level fights were done quick. Got some exposition, exploration, a "low-level" and a "moderate level" encounter in a 2 hour play session.
After setting up the encounters beforehand, they were very easy to run.
All of the classes at the table have a very different "feel," don't know how to put my finger on it, but it's strong.
I like the delineation between "encounter" mode and "exploration" mode.

Something I need to do better:
Keeping an eye on the +/- 10 criticals, not just 20's and 1s.

We play every Wednesdays, so update how many sessions I've had in your own brain as responses come in :tongue:

GMed my first session last night. Running for 5 players. An all Goblin squad.

Things that surprised me:
First level fights were done quick. Got some exposition, exploration, a "low-level" and a "moderate level" encounter in a 2 hour play session.
After setting up the encounters beforehand, they were very easy to run.
All of the classes at the table have a very different "feel," don't know how to put my finger on it, but it's strong.
I like the delineation between "encounter" mode and "exploration" mode.

Something I need to do better:
Keeping an eye on the +/- 10 criticals, not just 20's and 1s.

We play every Wednesdays, so update how many sessions I've had in your own brain as responses come in :tongue:
What makes the fights go fast(er)?
Also, this is the first time I hear anything that makes me even remotely interested in PF2e.

From skimming it, It seems like it is basically a 5e clone in many ways. Is this an accurate assessment?

What makes the fights go fast(er)?
Also, this is the first time I hear anything that makes me even remotely interested in PF2e.
I think the fights went fast because all the damage and HP was scaled to each other, it was first level, but most characters had an option or two every round. Also my players were very well prepared, and we didn't have to teach/learn a lot as we played.

From skimming it, It seems like it is basically a 5e clone in many ways. Is this an accurate assessment?
Not really, I would say it has many of the good design ideas from 4e (character choices every level, encounter design rules.), With less of the things I really didn't like (powers, encounter/daily powers, skill challenges, zero verisimilitude).

It gets way more over the top than 5e. For example, high level druids can transform into Kaiju. It really embraces the linear progression of skill ranks and attack rolls, rather than constraining like 5e does.

Cool, I will have to give it a deeper look. :smile: Thanks

I have no idea how you could possibly come to that conclusion.

The one thing I feel about PF2e, having run it, is that unless your players are into mechanics and exploring the mechanics, its too complex to be very fun.

I think the design is good for that specific type of player. But outside of that it felt like people just defaulted to the standard "move, attack" style that you would with any other game, because learning the system is not trivial at all.

The one thing I feel about PF2e, having run it, is that unless your players are into mechanics and exploring the mechanics, its too complex to be very fun.

I think the design is good for that specific type of player. But outside of that it felt like people just defaulted to the standard "move, attack" style that you would with any other game, because learning the system is not trivial at all.
At least at first level, I didn't find it to be any more mechanically complex than D&D 5. It was much simpler than D&D 3e for sure. Many of the mechanical differences are frontloaded (i.e. character creation).

I should also note, all my players used the Pathbuilder 2e Android app for character creation (there does not seem to be an Apple version as of right now.). Character creation took like 10 minutes.

I'm hoping PF2 does better than D&D5 with a few issue that I ran into as a player. D&D5 is really inconsistent for me with what is has explicit rules for, character advancement really slows down at level 5 and there are few,if any choices at character levels. Pathfinder really feels like the Advanced D&D to 5e's Basic so far.

Played my second session, here's what I learned:

At least at first level, I didn't find it to be any more mechanically complex than D&D 5.

After running poison mechanics, I proved myself totally wrong.

Poisons have a save check, which escalates (not just continues) when failed. They can inflict damage as well as multiple status effects. If I were to run this again, I would scrutinize the creatures I'm including a bit better and not include such a complex interaction in my second game.

I found myself implementing a new style of prep that I never really thought of before: A GM sandbox. Rather than a more player driven sandbox, I'm prepping encounters and building a bunch of different "toys" so that I can bring the adventure no matter how the players play or what the results are. But not in a railroad way, more in a legos way.

I made this hex map for the region the players are in:

Lair50smallest.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back