Godzilla: Tokyo Clash

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gabriel

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I picked up this game at Target. (I had been looking for the Transformers Skywarp/Thundercracker set.) It's fairly neat. It's definitely better than the only other Kaiju game I have, Monsters Menace America.

The game let's you play monster battles with Godzilla, King Ghidora, Mothra, and Megalon. You construct a board with hex tiles, much like Catan or Twilight Imperium. Actions are handled via expending energy to play cards. It's not deck building as each monster has their own fixed deck. You earn energy by destroying buildings. When you do damage to the other monster you take cards from their deck as trophies. The winner is the one with the most trophy points when the turn counter runs out.

There's no dice chucking, which does diminish things a bit for me. There are also some rules oddities like monsters not being able to directly attack buildings and having to throw other monsters or vehicles into them to destroy them. Also monsters can't move into the same area as a large building. And throwing a monster causes no damage, unless you throw them into another monster. Just kind of... strange... game mechanic stuff you have to accept. Otherwise the theme is pretty solid.

Playing two player is OK. It's clear the game would be much better four player. Still, even in a two player game the monsters stomp around and beat the snot out of each other. Once I got the hang of it, it really does seem like the kind of thing I'd see in a Godzilla movie. That said, we're basically at the "flailing around" part of the game where we play with very little strategy.

I hope there can be expansions. This game desperately needs Rodan and Mecha Godzilla.

When the quarantine started here back in March, I snagged the Pacific Rim: Extinction game. I never gave it a go, besides checking out the miniatures, so I need to revisit it.

I did not know that existed. I'll have to look up some info about it later.

I think a year ago, I would have been all over it. But now... I have too many sprawling games, it's really hard to justify another one.

Actually, another good thing about you bringing it up is that I had somehow forgotten about Pacific Rim. I love that movie. I think I need to watch it tonight.

Actually, another good thing about you bringing it up is that I had somehow forgotten about Pacific Rim. I love that movie. I think I need to watch it tonight.
I was actually hoping to use the materials for a RPG version of Pacific Rim, but never got into the planning stage.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back