Golden Heroes: New Hope OOC

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I may or may not be less available coming up. If it is likely to interfere with the game (and it shouldn't be, I usually check in a few times a day). We'll see. I'm not the most active here, but hopefully I'm pulling my weight. Anyway, no one's asked but my wife was just diagnosed with inoperable stage IV cancer. She will be starting chemo immediately. Obviously, everything else (besides our son) just took a big backseat. Sorry for the overshare, but that's what's up in my world atm.

Geez man! Sorry to hear that. I hope the best for you and your family and totally understand if you need to step back or even out completely. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

This week off has been busy for me. I had hoped to post IC by today but that didn't happen. Let's just say that I'll return to regular posting every other day or so starting on Monday.

Alright, I am ready to make an IC post to get things moving again but wanted to clarify a couple of things first.

Based on your previous discussions, I believe you all agreed to go to the park and confront Devastator. Are there any special precautions you plan to take while doing so? Do you want to approach with stealth and observe for a few minutes? Jump right into the middle of the park and hope to surprise Devastator? Or something else? And how are you getting there? I know Gravitas an probably carry a couple of you but do you all want to do that? Or get there some other way?

Once I have a basic understanding of how you plan to get to the park and whether you approach cautiously and from the shadows or jump right in hoping for the element of surprise, I will post in the IC thread.

Alright, I am ready to make an IC post to get things moving again but wanted to clarify a couple of things first.

Based on your previous discussions, I believe you all agreed to go to the park and confront Devastator. Are there any special precautions you plan to take while doing so? Do you want to approach with stealth and observe for a few minutes? Jump right into the middle of the park and hope to surprise Devastator? Or something else? And how are you getting there? I know Gravitas an probably carry a couple of you but do you all want to do that? Or get there some other way?

Once I have a basic understanding of how you plan to get to the park and whether you approach cautiously and from the shadows or jump right in hoping for the element of surprise, I will post in the IC thread.
Red Trident will swing there if we don't have extra capacity re Gravitas. He'll stop and observe as close as he can without getting spotted hoping to use his gravity attack from a distance in concert with another attack.

I'm basically riding along, and Starchild is less than confident in the presence of established heroes, so he is going to follow the others' lead.

Gravitas can carry (using her powers to reduce their weight) Trident and DD, and if shrunk Starchild as well. The Genie, if still with us as an NPC, I believe can fly, although I'm unclear on the comparative flight speeds between the two.

My suggestion, which Gravitas would verbalize en route, would be to drop the boys off a little bit away from where Devastator is, giving them a few minutes to approach through the trees from different angles. Gravitas would then fly in where Big G is, with force field up. As soon as he (presumably) attacks, the boys can get their shots in. Once the fight starts, Gravitas will use her powers to increase Devastator's personal gravity, hopefully pinning him down.

Gravitas can carry (using her powers to reduce their weight) Trident and DD, and if shrunk Starchild as well. The Genie, if still with us as an NPC, I believe can fly, although I'm unclear on the comparative flight speeds between the two.

My suggestion, which Gravitas would verbalize en route, would be to drop the boys off a little bit away from where Devastator is, giving them a few minutes to approach through the trees from different angles. Gravitas would then fly in where Big G is, with force field up. As soon as he (presumably) attacks, the boys can get their shots in. Once the fight starts, Gravitas will use her powers to increase Devastator's personal gravity, hopefully pinning him down.
RT will coordinate with Gravitas with his gravity powers to also increase his personal gravity.

So how visible, if at all, are Gravitas' various gravity powers? Normally, you would think gravity waves wouldn't be visible, but we are dealing with comic book physics...

As far as I know, there is nothing specific in the rulebooks regarding visibility of powers. And yes, normally you wouldn't think gravity waves would be visible. But of course in the comics, being a very visual medium, many if not most powers have some visible context. So to be true to the comics and superhero movies, I would think there are at least some visible elements to most powers, even if said visibility is only minor.

So how visible, if at all, are Gravitas' various gravity powers? Normally, you would think gravity waves wouldn't be visible, but we are dealing with comic book physics...
As far as I know, there is nothing specific in the rulebooks regarding visibility of powers. And yes, normally you wouldn't think gravity waves would be visible. But of course in the comics, being a very visual medium, many if not most powers have some visible context. So to be true to the comics and superhero movies, I would think there are at least some visible elements to most powers, even if said visibility is only minor.
It's an established fact that purple-clad gravity-power superheroines manifest their abilities like so:
hanna-barbera+super+tv+heroes+02+005.jpg

I'm out of town with the kids at another weekend log camp. I may get some cell service but it's very spotty up there. Feel free to either puppet my character or do whatever you need to keep things flowing.

Just to explain how Dodge works in GH again.

If your character is hit by an attack, you can choose to attempt a Dodge. At that point, you roll a d6 and add your Dodge Modifier (if any). That total is cross-referenced on a chart with the WC of the attack to determine whether you fail to dodge, partially dodge, or totally dodge. The cost of dodging is losing future frames equal to how many frames the attack took to make. So for instance, dodging a punch would take one future frame. Dodging an attack that takes one action would take two future frames. These can carry over into the next round. So for instance, if your character is struck after you have taken all your frames in the current round, you would lose one or two frames to start the next round after making a dodge action in the previous round. Dodges don't need to be declared until an attack successfully hits you. Hopefully that makes sense.

Quick question because I can't access the rules until later this evening - does maintaining a force fiels cost a frame?

Quick question because I can't access the rules until later this evening - does maintaining a force fiels cost a frame?

It takes one action (2 frames) to turn a force field on and off but costs no frames to maintain it. So if it gets destroyed, it would take 2 frames to re-establish it. But until it is destroyed, it has 9HTK and requires no actions to maintain.

Re: Gravity Field Manipulation - I confess that I find it odd that a target can't use Strength (especially super-strength) to try to resist the effects.

Re: Gravity Field Manipulation - I confess that I find it odd that a target can't use Strength (especially super-strength) to try to resist the effects.

Agreed, but within the context of the rules, I'm not sure how that would even work. As it stands, the victim gets an Ego roll (roll equal or under Ego score) at x4 gravity to resist falling unconscious. Regardless of whether this is successful or not, the victim still can't move or act. At x8, there is a +10 modifier on that Ego roll, meaning that anyone with an Ego of 11 or less fails automatically. At x16, they are just unconscious. Even at x2, they lose half their frames.

The unconsciousness part seems more like a Vigour roll than an Ego roll to me. As for resisting the effects and still being able to move, Strength does make sense. But the rules as written are half frames at x2, no actions or movement at x4 and start making Ego rolls to remain conscious, harder Ego roll at x8 and unconscious at x16.

If this were house-ruled, I have no idea how you would deal with making Strength or Vigour rolls because these abilities can go WAY above 18.

At any rate, running it as written for the time being.

I'm caught up but still not back to action. If having two with gravity is an issue RT can roll again. It's an odd power for him anyway.

I'm caught up but still not back to action. If having two with gravity is an issue RT can roll again. It's an odd power for him anyway.

I can live with two heroes having Gravity powers, but I will also allow you to re-roll a different power if you'd like. I leave it up to you.

Everyone, I will be back with a new post later today. I was caught off guard by how fast Devastator was taken down and have had to alter a few things that I expected to happen during that fight since it ended before it really started. No biggie, just had to shift some stuff around. I realize that I have left you all with nothing specific to do at the moment, which is why I suspect Dumarest Dumarest and Bunch Bunch haven't posted since my last post. I hope to rectify that with my next post. This plot might have ended up more convoluted that I intended, and might have benefitted from being a bit more straight-forward, especially for play by post. So hopefully when I post later, I will be able to give you all some options on where to go next. I will say that I intend to have the characters go home and sleep and start the next post on the morning of June 2nd.

Also, I have decided on one small tweak to Gravity Manipulation. The tweak I have made is in bold. At double normal gravity, any character caught in the field has only half their normal frames. At four times normal gravity, characters caught in the field have only half their normal frames and move at half speed and will pass out if an Ego check (roll Ego or less on a d20) is failed. At eight times normal gravity, characters caught in the field have half their frames, move at half speed and must succeed on and Ego check at +10 (roll Ego or less on a d20 after adding +10 to the roll) or fall unconscious. The rest of the description remains the same.

I just added the ability to move at half speed and get half normal amount of frames at four times and eight times normal gravity, instead of no movement or action. This does make it possible that with a successful Ego check, a character could move out of the area of effect of the increased gravity and make is slightly less of a show stopper, although if things go well it can still end a fight pretty quick. Characters with high Ego will be less susceptible to the effects of course. Still a very powerful ability but gives those being affected by it more of a chance to get out of the field and resist. This change didn't change what happened in the fight with Devastator though. Devastator has an Ego of 9 and failed his Ego check, and thus became unconscious with no chance to move away.

Thus, if Gravitas (or RT) wins initiative and gets all four frames before the enemy, she could increase gravity to times two on her first two frames, causing the enemy to lose half their frames, then increase to times four in her second two frames causing the enemy to lose half their frames, only move at half speed and have to make an Ego check to remain conscious. Assuming the enemy succeeds at the Ego check, they could then use their turn, even with half frames to exit the area at half speed.

Last edited:
Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl - I added a bit more description to my previous post regarding Gravity Manipulation after I initially posted it.

Would the gravity controller get a chance to move the area targeted, or would movement by the target automatically be able to escape the gravity field?

Before my next IC post, I thought we all might benefit from a "Where we are currently" post.

Terrorists (in name only as they were mostly just low-level thugs, and/or desperate, untrained civilians looking to make a quick buck) attacked a TV station, and took hostages while their mysterious employer demanded that a medical device prototype and an alien artifact stolen by Devastator be handed over to him.

Many of the terrorists turned out to be holograms, projected into the TV studio via emitters that had been installed in the ceiling of the room.

When the heroes defeated the thugs, the mysterious employer interrupted live television and implored Devastator to hand over the devices to him for large sums of money. In addition, he asked Devastator to lay a beating on the heroes to teach them a lesson for interfering with his plans.

The heroes retreated to Red Trident's dojo to discuss plans, only to see two motorcycle gangs arrive at Whistling Dixie, the bar anchoring the strip mall at the end opposite the dojo. These gangs, the Iron Rats and Devil's Angels, are not on friendly terms.

The Devil's Angels accused the Iron Rats of interfering with a shipment of weapons they were moving for some clients. The Iron Rats denied any involvement.

Just as things were about to get out of hand, one of the Iron Rats, Sledge, manhandled Manny Graham, the VP of the Devil's Angels chapter. The two clubs made their escape just before the police (called by Red Trident) arrived on the scene. Manny Graham wasn't so lucky and was arrested.

To Red Trident and Starchild, Sledge appeared to be more than just a normal biker.

While the events in the bar were occurring, Devastator had taken up residence in New Hope Memorial Park and was trashing the place, calling on the heroes from earlier in the day to meet him for a beating that they deserved. This was being broadcast on television live, and the heroes saw it on TV in the bar and the dojo.

Meeting back in the dojo, the heroes decided to go deal with Devastator in the park. Nearly immediately after arrival, Gravitas and Red Trident were able to subdue the hero-turned-villain quickly with their gravity powers.

Devastator was taken to the Slab, the super-prison below Patriot Island, by a squad of NHSDU, the New Hope Superhuman Detention Unit, a group funded by unknown individuals, but suspected to be lead by Mason Stone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That should pretty well summarize where we are currently. Had the fight with Devastator lasted longer than a few seconds, you would have learned a bit more, because bad guys like to talk.

My next IC post will attempt to give you a direction to go in, and hopefully start tying various events together.

Would the gravity controller get a chance to move the area targeted, or would movement by the target automatically be able to escape the gravity field?

Assuming the target is in a four times gravity area, and succeeds at his Ego check, he would be able to move out of the 4 square meter area (Assuming he is at the center of the area, he would need to move 3 meters to escape, and would thus need to be able to move at least 6 meters normally in one frame to be able to move 3 meters at half speed). The gravity manipulator is not able to move the field around once it is in place and thus if a target escapes the area, they would need to stop concentrating on the old area of increased gravity and start increasing gravity in a new area as a new action. Because of the action economy of Golden Heroes, and with initiative being re-rolled every round, plus the target needing to succeed on an Ego check at times four gravity, this is still pretty powerful. And with two gravity manipulators, it is even more so.

For example, assume a fight between just Gravitas and Devastator and his 9 Ego.

Round 1, Gravitas wins initiative and gets 2 frames before Devastator gets his 4 frames and then she gets her final 2 frames of the round. Gravitas increases gravity to times two on her first 2 frames. Devastator loses half his frames for the round. It is now his turn. As he only gets 2 frames, he uses his first to move out of the area of effect. He uses his second to close with Gravitas. For her final 2 frames, Gravitas increases gravity again where Devastator stands to times two.

Round 2, Gravitas wins initiative again, and gets 2 frames before Devastator gets his turn. She increases gravity to times four. Devastator fails his Ego check and is unconscious.

In that example, Gravitas won initiative by 2 frames for each round. Things could have gone worse for her had she lost initiative, or much better if she had won by 3 or even 4 frames in either or both rounds. If Devastator had won initiative by 2 or more frames, then things would go much worse obviously, but that would be the case regardless of the rules for Gravity Manipulation.

Also keep in mind that thugs and normal villains generally have about 3 meters of normal movement per frame and only get 2 frames per round normally. Thus catching a mook or minion type enemy in the field would likely mean that at half movement and frames, they wouldn't even be able to escape the field. They'd only be able to move a meter and a half and would only have 1 frame per round.

Unfortunately, I will be ending this game at this point.

I believe I made a few missteps along the way, and that I have kinda written myself into a corner, especially after the Devastator capture. I don't think I laid this game out very well from the beginning, as much as I tried to and thus have left the players with at times too many possibilities and at other times not enough options on how to proceed. I also don't believe I did a very good job of telling this story, and it didn't have the feel I wanted, that of larger-than-life four-color superhero action with a heavy lean towards the silver/bronze age of Marvel Comics. Might have helped if it had been set firmly in the 70's or 80's.

At any rate, my mistakes have dropped the speed of the game to a crawl and thus I am pulling the plug for now. Perhaps I will reboot this at some point, or come back and try running a different game.

Thanks everyone for your participation and sorry it wasn't a better game.

Sorry to hear that. I enjoyed the game (even if I wasn't certain how to proceed next with your most recent post).

I believe I made a few missteps along the way, and that I have kinda written myself into a corner, especially after the Devastator capture. I don't think I laid this game out very well from the beginning, as much as I tried to and thus have left the players with at times too many possibilities and at other times not enough options on how to proceed. I also don't believe I did a very good job of telling this story, and it didn't have the feel I wanted, that of larger-than-life four-color superhero action with a heavy lean towards the silver/bronze age of Marvel Comics. Might have helped if it had been set firmly in the 70's or 80's.

At any rate, my mistakes have dropped the speed of the game to a crawl and thus I am pulling the plug for now. Perhaps I will reboot this at some point, or come back and try running a different game.

If it makes you feel any better, I miscalculated running Boot Hill PBP the first time I tried it; the upshot is I learned a lot about what not to do. The gory details are still in the Pub annals. :gunslinger:

I had fun. Something about supers games makes it harder for me to get into character. Sorry for slowing things down early on. I really appreciate you doing this.

If it makes you feel any better, I miscalculated running Boot Hill PBP the first time I tried it; the upshot is I learned a lot about what not to do. The gory details are still in the Pub annals. :gunslinger:

I guess the frustrating thing for me is that I have run successful PBP games in the past, actually bringing two to a logical conclusion. I believe at least one of those was a published adventure module though, which might have made plotting it during play easier.

Regarding your experience, I suppose I could seek out your old Boot Hill game and take a look at it but in a sentence or two, what would you say were your biggest miscalculations that caused it to end prematurely and taught you more of what to do instead?

I had fun. Something about supers games makes it harder for me to get into character. Sorry for slowing things down early on. I really appreciate you doing this.

Yeah, I get that. I often have thought it is sometimes tough to do a good superhero game in general, and even more so via PBP.

Regarding your experience, I suppose I could seek out your old Boot Hill game and take a look at it but in a sentence or two, what would you say were your biggest miscalculations that caused it to end prematurely and taught you more of what to do instead?
I'd also be curious as to what you felt your mistakes were. That way, should I ever run anything PBP, I hopefully won't make the same old mistakes (but rather make new and different mistakes instead).

I guess the frustrating thing for me is that I have run successful PBP games in the past, actually bringing two to a logical conclusion. I believe at least one of those was a published adventure module though, which might have made plotting it during play easier.

I'd also be curious as to what you felt your mistakes were. That way, should I ever run anything PBP, I hopefully won't make the same old mistakes (but rather make new and different mistakes instead).
Much of it may not be applicable to superheroes, due to superheroes being passive/reactive characters for the most part, but the main thing I realized was to start with everyone already in town with numerous possible courses of action they can pursue as a group or individually. The reason is that way if anyone doesn't post frequently, the others don't need to wait on them before their own course of action can proceed. When one player slows down a game, others get stuck waiting and lose interest as a result, and then your game will not likely recover momentum. For instance, in the first Boot Hill game, everyone was riding with a stagecoach to Tucson and one player posted infrequently before dropping out altogether, leaving the burden of running him as an NPC on the referee, and because I also made the error of starting them en route to Tucson, there wasn't a lot to engage them individually to hold their interest. The slow pace of posting made the trip to Tucson take far too long and eventually, between the waiting on other players and not having much else to do, everyone more or less lost interest, including me. Part of the blame also goes to passive players who wait for you to shove things in their face rather than picking up threads during roleplay, which is more of a difference in expected style of play. When I run a "sandbox" (I hate that term), there are all sorts of events going on around the PCs and it's up to the players to ask questions, get involved, choose a course of action, and so on, but some players expect to be handed a task/mission to complete. The main lesson I drew was: have a lot of things players can pursue without needing to wait on anyone else. It might require chronological juggling when groups split up (as I've done in the current Boot Hill game), but it keeps the active players engaged and the more passive players can still participate.

Much of it may not be applicable to superheroes, due to superheroes being passive/reactive characters for the most part, but the main thing I realized was to start with everyone already in town with numerous possible courses of action they can pursue as a group or individually. The reason is that way if anyone doesn't post frequently, the others don't need to wait on them before their own course of action can proceed. When one player slows down a game, others get stuck waiting and lose interest as a result, and then your game will not likely recover momentum. For instance, in the first Boot Hill game, everyone was riding with a stagecoach to Tucson and one player posted infrequently before dropping out altogether, leaving the burden of running him as an NPC on the referee, and because I also made the error of starting them en route to Tucson, there wasn't a lot to engage them individually to hold their interest. The slow pace of posting made the trip to Tucson take far too long and eventually, between the waiting on other players and not having much else to do, everyone more or less lost interest, including me. Part of the blame also goes to passive players who wait for you to shove things in their face rather than picking up threads during roleplay, which is more of a difference in expected style of play. When I run a "sandbox" (I hate that term), there are all sorts of events going on around the PCs and it's up to the players to ask questions, get involved, choose a course of action, and so on, but some players expect to be handed a task/mission to complete. The main lesson I drew was: have a lot of things players can pursue without needing to wait on anyone else. It might require chronological juggling when groups split up (as I've done in the current Boot Hill game), but it keeps the active players engaged and the more passive players can still participate.

Yeah, that all makes sense. As you stated at the beginning though, I suspect that this idea works better in some types of games and not as well in others. With a western, it obviously works. D&D and other fantasy games, it would work I think. Same with at least some sci-fi games. I don't know if that sandbox style works well with superheroes. Or horror, which generally relies on one scary plot or storyline that sucks the characters into it. A sandbox horror world would be a scary place. Maybe a Stranger Things style game would work, as the town the characters live in could be full of plots and subplots for them to explore, together or individually as they so choose.

But you definitely hit the nail on the head. It comes down to engagement of the players. If the GM doesn't achieve that right away with the group as a whole, you end up with sporadic posting rates as some of the players post quickly and others post slower because maybe they have less interest in the current plot line.

Which brings up another point. You are running OD&D and at a glance there seems to be some dungeon crawling happening (it's D&D so obviously this is gonna happen). How do you ensure everyone is engaged if you end up with a player or three that aren't as interested in dungeon crawling? Splitting the group works for a game like a western. But what about splitting the group in a D&D game? Do you let the players split up and do their own things in that sort of game? I would think that would be difficult in a game where there are very defined roles in a party and that if the group is split, they won't be successful because they are missing the healer, or the fighter or whatever. It would seem easier for the group to split and be doing different things in a western game or a sci-fi game like Star Wars or Traveller but not so easy in a game like D&D with so much niche-protection and a game like a superhero game where facing some villains with a depleted force would be problematic.

You would be a good judge of all this though as you are running D&D, Traveller and Boot Hill so you have a nice variety of games and genres there to judge how well all this works. I guess it could be argued that if a player joins a D&D game, they probably have to expect dungeon crawling and shouldn't join if they don't like dungeon crawling.

But thanks for your perspective, Dumarest Dumarest. I definitely like the idea of putting the players into a situation where they can follow one of several different threads right out of the gate in an attempt to keep them all happy and to account for different posting rates. I'm just trying to see how you could apply this to various games and genres.

You are running OD&D and at a glance there seems to be some dungeon crawling happening (it's D&D so obviously this is gonna happen). How do you ensure everyone is engaged if you end up with a player or three that aren't as interested in dungeon crawling? Splitting the group works for a game like a western. But what about splitting the group in a D&D game? Do you let the players split up and do their own things in that sort of game? I would think that would be difficult in a game where there are very defined roles in a party and that if the group is split, they won't be successful because they are missing the healer, or the fighter or whatever. It would seem easier for the group to split and be doing different things in a western game or a sci-fi game like Star Wars or Traveller but not so easy in a game like D&D with so much niche-protection and a game like a superhero game where facing some villains with a depleted force would be problematic.
In the OD&D game there were no parameters aside from "everyone starts out here." The PCs decided to know each other before the game began. Then they were presented with a map of their environs:
20180826_181817.jpg
From there they chose to go east into the unknown rather than west where I had more things planned (as you can see). A chance encounter led them to undertake a mission to assist some farmers beset by a witch (or at least that is their belief). This led them to continue east, at which point I gave them another map of the area.
20180831_125913.jpg
There have actually been no reasons at all for them to enter the various caverns and tombs they've encountered aside from they've all chosen to do so. Everywhere they go, there are multiple options I have ready depending on which way they proceed. Whenever they get somewhere new, I draw up a new map to give them an idea of what's around, with liberal use of "?" for things they wouldn't know.
20181117_143051.jpg
The original four PCs are all dead now after two of them made it to 2nd level. One player dropped out early on but was quickly replaced by a new player whose PC also made it to 2nd level and is still alive. A second player dropped out after his PC died and we've gotten 2 additional players so now there are 5 PCs. If they decide to split the party, it's actually easier in PBP than at the table since you don't have three players sitting there twiddling their thumbs while the other two get all the action. That's the one instance where the slower pace helps. As for "niche protection," I don't acknowledge its existence. I've never worried about it and have never had any trouble with characters being the same class. The party makeup to date has been whatever the players rolled, as follows:
  • Party Mk I: 4 fighting men
  • Party Mk II: 3 fighting men, 1 magic-user
  • Party Mk III: 2 fighting men, 1 magic-user, 1 cleric
  • Party Mk IV: 3 fighting men, 1 magic-user, 1 cleric
  • Party Mk V: 2 fighting men, 2 magic-users, 1 cleric

"Niche protection" is only a thing when the referee and players make it into one. Good players will assess their abilities as a group and decide not to fight those hill giants if they lack the muscle to win and instead achieve their goals by other means.

In any case, it's almost time for me to post another map now that the players have left the catacombs, crossed the ravine, and wandered into the woods on the other side.

Dumarest Dumarest - I hear ya regarding niche protection. I could care less about that but I have played with many players who are usually concerned with getting a good mix classes and abilities. I have always told my players to play what sounds fun to them but they usually still discuss as a group who is playing what to try to get a thief, a fighter or two, some spell casters, etc. I’ve got no problem with a whole group of thieves or fighters or whatever personally. I’ve just encountered many players who do. This has somewhat been forced on players over the years as newer editions of D&D have put a much more heavy emphasis on ability scores and class abilities and so-called class balance and encounter creation that is appropriate for the party level. I greatly prefer having some easy encounters, some moderately difficult ones and some that are so scary that running away is the best course of action. But a lot of today’s players would be unhappy with that imbalance. To each his own I guess.

This model of game would be pretty difficult to apply to a superhero game I think, and maybe some others as well.

Anyway, thanks for the additional insight. Incidentally, I love the maps drawn on lined paper and presenting the world to your players as they explore it. Very cool!

Anyway, thanks for the additional insight. Incidentally, I love the maps drawn on lined paper and presenting the world to your players as they explore it. Very cool!
Yeah they're great maps! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Toric. Ihad a great time, and I thought you did a great job running it. Dealing with unforeseen circumstances can he a bitch. I was running a Traveller game, using the "Disappearance on Aramat" module from Grenadier. The players had landed on a class F spaceport (i.e., flat section of rock and a quonset hut) to begin looking for a missing university research team. In describing the hut, I added a sort of "emergency call box", purely as flavor. One of the players activated it immediately. I hadn't even considered the possibility that, given the opportunity, they would just "call the cops"! I was able to avoid a major derail, but stuff comes at you fast sometimes.

Thanks, Toric. Ihad a great time, and I thought you did a great job running it. Dealing with unforeseen circumstances can he a bitch. I was running a Traveller game, using the "Disappearance on Aramat" module from Grenadier. The players had landed on a class F spaceport (i.e., flat section of rock and a quonset hut) to begin looking for a missing university research team. In describing the hut, I added a sort of "emergency call box", purely as flavor. One of the players activated it immediately. I hadn't even considered the possibility that, given the opportunity, they would just "call the cops"! I was able to avoid a major derail, but stuff comes at you fast sometimes.

Unforeseen circumstances certainly play a part but generally I think I can deal with those. In this game, it was more a problem of me leaving the players with very little information in spots, and no specific direction a couple of times. Also, just some other general structure problems with how I set up the game, and then culminating in the take down of Devastator, which I had planned to lead directly to other things, but happened so fast that I had to deal with those "unforeseen circumstances" on the fly. I just think all of it combined lead to some inaction or confusion on how to proceed on the part of the players and then in turn posting slowed down.

If I were to do another superhero game, I would do several things differently than I did here. First off, the characters would start out knowing each other and/or be a team already. I think that would make for a much smoother beginning. Then I think I would likely try to start with more minor plots for the players to get involved in. Have some patrols of the city set up where the characters can get into trouble individually or in smaller groups. Have some different things (plot seeds) going on that the characters could choose to investigate. This might be a little difficult in a superhero game but it could possibly work. Then you end up with situations the players can choose from to involve themselves with, pick something that appeals to them. If the group gets split investigating different plots, so be it. And as Dumarest Dumarest said, this would potentially allow for different posting rates depending on level of engagement. I think these changes from what I actually did would have helped. It would have been better to save the big plot line that I was leading to for later in the campaign and start with more straight-forward stuff.

Something that might work well for PBP would be running a superhero game where all the players are essentially "lone wolf"-type heroes like Spider-Man, Daredevil, Batman, Moon Knight, Captain America, Black Widow, and so on, and then setting things up so there are numerous things to investigate and deal with and each hero can look into what seems important to him, or they can team up as needed without having to worry about everyone being in the same place at the same time. What I mean is, let's say there are four players running clones of Spider-Man, Daredevil, Batman, and Black Widow. I'd start them off each doing her own thing, drop some hints and clues or have them on the scene when a crime takes place, maybe provide some fake headlines/articles as props if I can find a good source for that, and let them go about their business. Maybe Lone Spider is chasing down Green Creeper while across town Red Rose is dealing with a Soviet Super Soldier trying to bring her back to Mother Russia to stand trial for treason; meanwhile Lucky Devil is investigating the King of Diamonds' new arms smuggling gambit and Brown Bat is hot on the trail of the Kidder. Maybe their paths intersect, maybe they don't. If Lone Spider posts a lot more frequently than Lucky Devil, just keep moving his story along. If there are plot elements that intersect behind the scenes, make a note of it and then play with the clock in-game if necessary to flashback or just tell Lucky Devil "here's what happened" if he's not posting often--most players are okay with the referee moving their PCs along to keep the game moving as long as you didn't make anything egregious happen to them. It would be a fun occurrence like Marvel Team-Up if both Lucky Devil and Red Rose end up after the same bad guy.

If I find the time, I might offer up a PBP and try this out. I would probably use DC Heroes, Marvel Super Heroes, or the Mayfair Batman RPG just to save myself having to look up rules for games I haven't run or played in a while.

Dumarest Dumarest - Yeah, that might work. That is kinda what I was alluding to further up-thread with the idea that multiple plots can be presented to the players and they can decide which ones they want to deal with and if they split up to tackle two or more things, so be it. Of course doing that with the heroes all playing as lone wolves right out of the gate would probably work better than if they were an established team. A concern might be that the players are not interacting much with one another, mostly one-on-one with the GM. If the game was advertised that they would be lone wolves with only occasional crossover, I suppose it wouldn't matter much since the players would know that from the start.

And for a variety of reasons, I wouldn't use Golden Heroes again for a play-by-post superhero game. I have (and really like) DC Heroes 2nd edition (the big black boxed set) and the Batman RPG. I used to have Marvel Super Heroes years ago but no longer have it. DC Heroes would work pretty well I would think, although you would need to refer to the action and results tables for resolution of dice rolls.

Last edited:
Dumarest Dumarest - Yeah, that might work. That is kinda what I was alluding to further up-thread with the idea that multiple plots can be presented to the players and they can decide which ones they want to deal with and if they split up to tackle two or more things, so be it. Of course doing that with the heroes all playing as lone wolves right out of the gate would probably work better than if they were an established team. A concern might be that the players are not interacting much with one another, mostly one-on-one with the GM. If the game was advertised that they would be lone wolves with only occasional crossover, I suppose it wouldn't matter much since the players would know that from the start.

And for a variety of reasons, I wouldn't use Golden Heroes again for a play-by-post superhero game. I have (and really like) DC Heroes 2nd edition (the big black boxed set) and the Batman RPG. I used to have Marvel Super Heroes years ago but no longer have it. DC Heroes would work pretty well I would think, although you would need to refer to the action and results tables for resolution of dice rolls.
I'd probably try to run it something like the old Batman Family comic book, an anthology of characters who know and work with each other sometimes and sometimes work alone, depending on the situation.
250px-Batman_Family_vol_1_17.png
16927-2727-18857-1-batman-family.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back