Golden Heroes - New Powers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Toric

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I've been working on some new powers that I believe are missing from the game and thought I might post here to get opinions on whether they are too powerful, broken, solid additions, etc. I am no game designer but by using several other sources of superhero RPGs, plus mimicking the style of Golden Heroes, I thought I might be able to write some up that would be decent additions to the game. I'm hoping the players in my Golden Heroes PbP game here ( Dumarest Dumarest, Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl, Bunch Bunch, Gringnr Gringnr and Longfingers Longfingers) or anyone else with some experience with the game will offer comments (whether criticism or praise) on these write-ups.

The first one I've written up is Absorption. I was trying to play around with statting up some existing characters and wanted something akin to Absorbing Man from Marvel Comics.

Here it is. Comments welcome!

Absorption
Characters with this power are able to take on the properties of any material that they touch or absorb (copy) superpowers from powered individuals they touch. Upon receiving this power, 1d6 should be rolled. On an odd number, the character receives the power to absorb the properties of whatever material they touch. On an even number, the character receives the power to absorb or copy superhuman abilities and powers. At Grade 2, both options can be possessed by the character. Alternatively, additional grades can be used to increase the duration of the absorption to 10 rounds. Grade 4 is as high as this power can be increased. This would bestow both forms of the power on the character, along with a duration of 10 rounds for each.

Inanimate object absorption
By touching an inanimate object, a character with this power can enhance their Strength, Vigour, HTK and HTC (based on the increase to Vigour) and acquire Armour. This is based on the substance touched. Below are the most common substances.

Wood – Increase Strength and Vigour by 5, +18 HTK and HTC, Defence Class of 4
Earth or Stone – Increase Strength and Vigour by 10, +35 HTK and HTC, Defence Class of 3
Metal – Increase Strength and Vigour by 15, +53 HTK and HTC, Defence Class of 2

Special substances like Adamantium or Unobtanium or anything else the SS has created for his game can also be absorbed with the effects being up to the SS.

Absorbing the properties of a substance takes one action. The absorption lasts for 5 rounds, after which another action would be required to absorb a new material. Upon absorbing a new substance or reverting to normal human form, the character loses all bonus Strength, Vigour, HTK, HTC and Defence Class of the previously absorbed material. If after losing the bonus HTC the character is at zero or less, he would fall unconscious. If after losing the bonus HTK the character is at less than zero, he would be killed.

Superpower absorption
The character can absorb (copy) superhuman abilities and powers by touching a super-powered target. If the target is resisting, the character must successfully strike defence class 6 in order to touch the target. Then the attacker attempting to absorb a power must make a successful mental attack against the target. This takes one action. The absorbed power lasts for five rounds. Absorbing a power does not steal it from the target, only copies it. Only one power may be absorbed at a time. If another power is absorbed while one is already active, the currently active one is lost upon successfully absorbing the new one. If a superpower is absorbed while the character is affected by an absorbed substance like stone or metal, the superpower takes over and the effects of the substance are lost. The effects of the absorbed power last for 5 rounds.

Last edited:
I remember Darkness and Web-Slinging were absent from the game, but featured in a White Dwarf article.

For my part, I've never liked the way the Speed rules work. I've toyed with the idea of giving characters a 1/2 frame melee attack at Grade 2, two at Grade 3, and 3 at Grade 4. Melee weapons/foot or fist only, and cannot be used in conjunction with other Special attack (such as Leaping/Growing/Swinging into combat). To me this simulates a flurry of blows, but I would say that the mechanical/logistical components of other special attacks mean that they can't be used with this. Also, it keeps to the comic book ethos.

I like your Absorption idea. The idea of temporarily adding HTK/HTC is cool, and keeps it from being too similar to other armour-type powers. I like it! Not having power absorption is a complaint I've seen about this game before. And since the Claremont X-Men were such a HUGE influence on this game, "Rouge-like" powers seem fitting.

Grade 2 could have an option to last longer between touches instead of absorbing others powers.

I remember Darkness and Web-Slinging were absent from the game, but featured in a White Dwarf article.

For my part, I've never liked the way the Speed rules work. I've toyed with the idea of giving characters a 1/2 frame melee attack at Grade 2, two at Grade 3, and 3 at Grade 4. Melee weapons/foot or fist only, and cannot be used in conjunction with other Special attack (such as Leaping/Growing/Swinging into combat). To me this simulates a flurry of blows, but I would say that the mechanical/logistical components of other special attacks mean that they can't be used with this. Also, it keeps to the comic book ethos.

I like your Absorption idea. The idea of temporarily adding HTK/HTC is cool, and keeps it from being too similar to other armour-type powers. I like it! Not having power absorption is a complaint I've seen about this game before. And since the Claremont X-Men were such a HUGE influence on this game, "Rouge-like" powers seem fitting.

Yeah, I have the White Dwarf with the Darkness and Webslinging write-ups.

Agreed on Absorption. The game is lacking a power like that. In this particular case, I was looking at Absorbing Man. He can also absorb shapes and sizes of things like touching hammers and then having his fists in the shape of hammers, or touching a building and growing in size to match the building touched. But I thought that was too much for this power with what it already does.

In the case of this power though, it is not a power that steals the power from another, only copies it, which is what Absorbing Man's power did. I used Marvel Super Heroes RPG (FASERIP) and an Absorbing Man write-up to help model this power.

Grade 2 could have an option to last longer between touches instead of absorbing others powers.

Ah, that's a good idea. At Grade 2, you can extend the time that an absorption lasts to say 10 rounds OR use the power to absorb superpowers.

I have made this change in the power write-up.

On another note, what does everyone think about where these powers should be added? Should the random power generation chart just be modified to include the new powers? Or would it be better if they were only available on a roll of 96-100 where the players gets to choose a power? If I were to include Absorption on the actual chart, I would make it the first power, only available on a roll of 01 as I consider it to be a pretty rare, almost unique power. So add it to the chart? Or have any new powers be available only when the player rolls 96-100?

Re: Absorption - my thought would be that the different things that can be absorbed don't have to follow a strict progression, but different types can be chosen depending on the Grade of the power. For example, Rogue (grade 2) can absorb both powers as well as skills/memories (which should probably be a separate category), but she can't mimic raw non-living materials. Absorbing Man (grade 1) can do the latter, but generally not powers or memories.

Extra duration would also be worth an increased Grade.

Off-topic, but does anyone know of any fan sites that might have GH write-ups of any Marvel and/or DC characters?

Ah, that's a good idea. At Grade 2, you can extend the time that an absorption lasts to say 10 rounds OR use the power to absorb superpowers.

I have made this change in the power write-up.

Alphabetically. Some powers come up more than others, which I guess is a balance thing. But personally, I'd have no problem with 100 powers with a 1% chance to get each...

Re: Absorption - my thought would be that the different things that can be absorbed don't have to follow a strict progression, but different types can be chosen depending on the Grade of the power. For example, Rogue (grade 2) can absorb both powers as well as skills/memories (which should probably be a separate category), but she can't mimic raw non-living materials. Absorbing Man (grade 1) can do the latter, but generally not powers or memories.

Extra duration would also be worth an increased Grade.

Off-topic, but does anyone know of any fan sites that might have GH write-ups of any Marvel and/or DC characters?

We’ll actually Absorbing Man can indeed absorb (copy) powers. I used a write up of him for the old Marvel Super Heroes RPG to determine the powers he had and that was one.

I do see the point though of a hero who can absorb powers but not necessarily inanimate substances. With my version, they would have to get the inanimate substances first before doing the other.

The solution is probably that upon receiving the power, you can choose to either absorb substances or powers at grade 1. At grade 2, you can either choose the other option not chosen at grade 1 OR you can choose increased duration before having to re-absorb something. Perhaps a grade 3 could be added where you could even increase the duration further OR maybe pick up a power stunt like being able to shape your arms into hammers after touching a hammer or growing larger, up to the size of an object you touched like absorbing metal and increasing to the size of a tank after touching one. (Those size and shape powers were actually something Absorbing Man could do in the MSH RPG write up I have.)

I will sleep on this and update the power tomorrow.

Alphabetically. Some powers come up more than others, which I guess is a balance thing. But personally, I'd have no problem with 100 powers with a 1% chance to get each...

Yeah, the current chart is alphabetical so that is how I would keep it if I add powers to it. Maybe make it optional. Use the original chart and then get a chance to pick the new powers on a 96-100 OR use the modified chart that adds them.

On further thought, if I go with the revision of choosing either absorbing powers or substances at grade 1, I believe I would randomize that choice, much like martial arts does with pugilism vs oriental. That would be in keeping with the rules.

I have updated the Absorption power based on recommendations here. I have a few others I'm looking at writing up, including Dazzle. Golden Heroes is lacking a Flash type power, so I'm working on coming up with one. There are a few others I find missing that would be nice to have including some sort of Energy Form or Energy Aura power, like what the Human Torch has.

I have updated the Absorption power based on recommendations here. I have a few others I'm looking at writing up, including Dazzle. Golden Heroes is lacking a Flash type power, so I'm working on coming up with one. There are a few others I find missing that would be nice to have including some sort of Energy Form or Energy Aura power, like what the Human Torch has.

I would write up Human Torch with some combination of Personal Force Field, Energy Attack and Flight, perhaps with a few gimmicks. But rolling them all into one? Seems a bit overpowered IMO.

I would write up Human Torch with some combination of Personal Force Field, Energy Attack and Flight, perhaps with a few gimmicks. But rolling them all into one? Seems a bit overpowered IMO.

That's a good point. Powers like that would likely be too much in this ruleset. I do think a Flash or Dazzle power would be useful though.

Bear in mind, that a lot of supers have the same power set, it's how they're expressed it's different. Let's pick on a common grouping:

Super strength and physical toughness, energy blast, flight.

I just described three characters with that. DC's Superman. Marvel's Iron Man and the android Vision.

So having a whole bunch of 'little' powers to describe a specific character seems a bit redundant to me.

Bear in mind, that a lot of supers have the same power set, it's how they're expressed it's different. Let's pick on a common grouping:

Super strength and physical toughness, energy blast, flight.

I just described three characters with that. DC's Superman. Marvel's Iron Man and the android Vision.

So having a whole bunch of 'little' powers to describe a specific character seems a bit redundant to me.

No doubt there are lots of characters that share power sets. I wasn't trying to indicate otherwise. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't some powers that are missing from this particular game.

There is clearly no absorption power, but there are many characters that have an ability similar to what I posted in the first post. There are also plenty of characters who can blind or disorient with a flash of light or something similar. That power doesn't exist in Golden Heroes. The power to bind or entangle doesn't exist either, except as part of the Magic power. But Spiderman can use his webs to bind and entangle, which has nothing to do with magic. Yes, I can simply give Spiderman the power to bind enemies using the rules from the Binding spell, but in cases like Flash or Dazzle, there isn't really an equivalent.

My point is that there are some gaps in the powers detailed in Golden Heroes, even in powers that were common to heroes and villains in the Marvel comics of the 70's and 80's which is the period GH is trying to emulate.

I admit that powers can't be made too broad as Gringnr Gringnr stated above, as they then become more powerful and useful than the average power in the game. But I do think there is room for a few new ones like absorption and dazzle to be added to the game.

In most cases though, I try to find an existing power in the rules to emulate what I am trying to accomplish. It is just that in some cases, there is no good substitute. But I freely admit that many characters have the same powers, just expressed differently.

No doubt there are lots of characters that share power sets. I wasn't trying to indicate otherwise. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't some powers that are missing from this particular game.

There is clearly no absorption power, but there are many characters that have an ability similar to what I posted in the first post. There are also plenty of characters who can blind or disorient with a flash of light or something similar. That power doesn't exist in Golden Heroes. The power to bind or entangle doesn't exist either, except as part of the Magic power. But Spiderman can use his webs to bind and entangle, which has nothing to do with magic. Yes, I can simply give Spiderman the power to bind enemies using the rules from the Binding spell, but in cases like Flash or Dazzle, there isn't really an equivalent.

My point is that there are some gaps in the powers detailed in Golden Heroes, even in powers that were common to heroes and villains in the Marvel comics of the 70's and 80's which is the period GH is trying to emulate.

I admit that powers can't be made too broad as Gringnr Gringnr stated above, as they then become more powerful and useful than the average power in the game. But I do think there is room for a few new ones like absorption and dazzle to be added to the game.

In most cases though, I try to find an existing power in the rules to emulate what I am trying to accomplish. It is just that in some cases, there is no good substitute. But I freely admit that many characters have the same powers, just expressed differently.

Agree with this. There was a White Dwarf article. "A Web In The Dark", that introduced Darkness and Web-Slinging (both of which are present in the original, self-published game).
Also, Toric, what do you think of my idea for Speed? A friend pointed out that it really dowsn't add many more attacks, per se, as I capped the 1/2 frame attacks at 3 (Grade 4 Speed). But to me, it's more about being able to attack and do more.

Agree with this. There was a White Dwarf article. "A Web In The Dark", that introduced Darkness and Web-Slinging (both of which are present in the original, self-published game).
Also, Toric, what do you think of my idea for Speed? A friend pointed out that it really dowsn't add many more attacks, per se, as I capped the 1/2 frame attacks at 3 (Grade 4 Speed). But to me, it's more about being able to attack and do more.

Your take on Speed seems pretty cool but I'd honestly have to see it in action in a game to really make a solid judgement on it. In my face to face game, I have a character who has Speed and I will say that his ability to use half a frame to move, then attack, then use half a frame to move away has been very effective. Combined with him having Invisibility, and a pretty high Dodge modifier, has made him a very effective combatant. I'd be interested in seeing how your Speed rule would impact this particular character. Perhaps next time we play, I will see if he wants to experiment with it and see how it goes.

Your take on Speed seems pretty cool but I'd honestly have to see it in action in a game to really make a solid judgement on it. In my face to face game, I have a character who has Speed and I will say that his ability to use half a frame to move, then attack, then use half a frame to move away has been very effective. Combined with him having Invisibility, and a pretty high Dodge modifier, has made him a very effective combatant. I'd be interested in seeing how your Speed rule would impact this particular character. Perhaps next time we play, I will see if he wants to experiment with it and see how it goes.

Awesome, let me know. I haven't playtested it. I toyed with the idea of giving each 1/2 frame attacks after the first penalty. But to me, a couple of extra melee attacks (some of the game's weaker attacks normally) shouldn't be too telling. It might be overpowered in the hands of a really strong character, though. But, as I said, I have considered some penalties to the extra attacks ...

But Spiderman can use his webs to bind and entangle, which has nothing to do with magic.
Working from memory here as I can't get to my copy just now, but aren't Spidey's web shooters simply Cybernetic Devices that replicate another power? True, you can't do that with every power, but it does work for many without adding to the existing rules.

Working from memory here as I can't get to my copy just now, but aren't Spidey's web shooters simply Cybernetic Devices that replicate another power? True, you can't do that with every power, but it does work for many without adding to the existing rules.
That is a fantastic point!

Haven't had a chance to read this thread yet, but hope to comment later. I have all the White Dwarf articles and know that the exclusion of many powers was done by design, though Simon Burley wrote at least one article about how to use the existing powers to emulate things like web-shooters and darkness generation.

Very true and makes a lot of sense. When I've been trying to create a Marvel character or convert characters from other games, I have scoured the GH rules looking for equivalents and have only looked at making new powers if nothing could be found that translated over. Of course, in the case of villains and NPCs, the script supervisor could also just come up with something on the fly to cover a specific ability that doesn't necessarily need to be turned into a new power.

Haven't had a chance to read this thread yet, but hope to comment later. I have all the White Dwarf articles and know that the exclusion of many powers was done by design, though Simon Burley wrote at least one article about how to use the existing powers to emulate things like web-shooters and darkness generation.

Yeah, I've seen Simon's thoughts about excluding many powers. I believe he talks about that in the White Dwarf article that tells you how to do web shooters and darkness. He said something to the effect that powers like that tend to be unique to one hero or villain in the comics and not many or even any others have those abilities. So it is possible that maybe the SS should just create unique powers for NPCs and villains if necessary and leave the powers list as is in the game for the heroes. I still think the addition of absorption is a decent idea, and I would like a flash/dazzle ability that a hero could end up with, but for the most part, a pretty wide variety of heroes can be made from the existing rules. How the powers are expressed then becomes of paramount importance and is what sets characters apart that have similar power sets.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back