Good book on traps?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

arjunstc

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am running Barrowmaze, and traps are of course a feature in the dungeon. However, I am hoping to take the advice of various YouTube GMs and make the traps more interactive by giving the players (and their characters) more clues about the presence of traps, their possible mechanisms, and thus allowing them to have a chance at overcoming or disarming them.

A search for 'traps' on Drivethru gives a long list - including the famous Grimtooth; does anyone have any recommendation on which one will fit my need?

Thanks in advance.

Grimtooth, the original, is still pretty good, for the most part. Generally the party KNOWS when they encounter a room trap.

You might look at the Ars Ludi articles Bad Trap Syndrome, and Curing Bad Trap Syndrome

Tricks, by Curtney Campbell
Bag of Tricks, Sorella

@ A arjunstc Hey there and welcome to the board. First of all you have great taste in dungeons. Are you looking for trap ideas or are you looking for guidance on how to handle traps on the GM side of things? If you are looking for guidance on how to handle traps, I suggest taking a look at Matt Finch's A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming for inspiration.

d5d13f.jpeg

Grimtooth's is the obvious way to go. There are also some clever ideas in the Dungeon Alphabet.

I just realized that I don't need any books. I grew up with ninja movies, thrillers and action movies, which had lots of Vietnam War vets for some reason:shade:!

So I guess my recommendation is to go for a memoir of some war veteran and change stuff around. Be creative, switch stuff around and when part of the ceiling swings down and throws the heroes to the vat of acid, tell them you just switched a few things around in a classic trap:thumbsup:!

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all the replies - the pun included.

I am looking for descriptions of traps that include:

- the bait
- the trigger
- the effect

with also description of

- the 'tell'

and perhaps some suggestions on how the PCs may try to overcome the trap.

I buy into the idea that traps should be interactive and not just a series of d20 rolls.

Thanks once again - I will look into all of the suggestions.

Man honestly? Just think like Wiley Coyote and come up with Rube Goldberg devices, the more insane the better, and let it rip. Put yourself in the shoes (equivalents) of your NPC(s) that need something trapped and what the desired result is. Assign "difficulty" based on their skill. The Tell should be something appropriate to those conceits (get as crazy as you want).

WWWCD

What would Wiley Coyote Do?

If you're trying to make "serious" traps - they'll be more staightforward. Again - put yourself in the shoes of the people setting the trap. I break it down like this - baselining it for the intent of who/what you're trying to trap.

Effects
Damage - Scaled to the desired lethality for the intended prey. Customize the delivery to the needs of the trap. Poison, Blades, Pitfall, etc.

Immobilization - Net? Adhesive? Electrocution?

Pacification - Knockout Gas? Hallucinogenic poison?

Triggers
Incorrect Contact - Maybe the trigger requires *specific* forms of contact. Left/right hand (tell would be the shape of the grip). Or maybe it's electrified - requires non-conducting gloves (tell is the feel of static- or smell of ozone).
Weight - Release or depress (or both!)
Restricted Unlocking- maybe requires the person(s) to be standing in multiple places? Doing multiple actions - like two levers/buttons/key turns or something done in a certain order - or bang.
Magic Phrase?

Mix and match them. Go crazy.

I keep seeing the title of this thread as 'Books on tapes.'

The 5e Volo's Guide has a chapter on traps but I skipped it and don't have it handy right now.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back