Got my first taste of Mythras today

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Not a big taste but Nick ran us through a scripted combat encounter designed to teach us the rules. I am pretty well versed in straight BRP, Stormbringer, Magic World and Delta Green so it wasn’t a lot to learn but Mythras does add what I would call tactical depth through its use of combat affects. Delicious. Now I need to read Mythras Imperative pronto so I will be better prepared for the next game.

It was smart of them to release those practice combat modules. I'm looking forward to the one with the giantess and the bear.
We discussed doing magic ones on the panel last night. Alex Greene thought about doing one, and I might end up doing one myself. I have particular views on it I suppose.

Got me inspired to get back to the cults book, and got a couple done today. One classic monastic mysticism cult and one classic Druidic cult, but with a very Mythras twist. Much more extensive use of geasa and taboos

It was fun to finally kick the tires on the system after reading it off and on for years. You never really know how something actually works until you see the gears whirring and spinning.

Aside from the clunkiness of my feeble rules-mastery and the need to look up things constantly, I really enjoyed the way "Breaking the Habit" emphasized overcoming heavily armored opponents with non-lethal means, and just how potent less skilled opponents in formation can be.

It all made combat feel very organic in a way that I've rarely experienced in many games before. Sorta like DCC RPG's "mighty deeds" for warriors on steroids.

Last edited:
Careful now. The first step off that ledge looks like it's nice and safe. Then, before you know it, you've gone full pledge and you're wondering when you'll make the time for all the stuff you purchased - Monster Island, Luther Arkwright, Mythic Earth, Thennla, After the Vampire Wars, Lyonesse and Worlds United. There's just so much Mythras, and so precious little time.

It was fun to finally kick the tires on the system after reading it off and on for years. You never really know how something actually works until you see the gears whirring and spinning. Aside from the clunkiness of my feeble rules-mastery and the need to look up things constantly, I really enjoyed the way "Breaking the Habit" emphasized overcoming heavily armored opponents with non-lethal means, and just how potent less skilled opponents in formation can be. It made combat feel very organic in a way that I've rarely experienced in many games before. Sorta like DCC RPG's "mighty deeds" for warriors on steroids.
Organic is a very good word for it. Is it a little crunchier than your average BRP flavor? Yes. But the payoff you get is exponential. A little more crunch for a massive boost in combat tactics and verisimilitude. Reading it I’ve found does nothing to prepare you for the effect of a combat once the lightbulb goes off and people start grokking it (Which doesn’t take long). A lot of games add combat complexity in the name of realism, but don’t feel particularly real. Once you play Mythras a few times, you don’t even notice the rules, as they’d all be stuff your character was thinking about and trying anyway, only no “translation” into abstracted or dissociated game terms is really necessary.

It was smart of them to release those practice combat modules. I'm looking forward to the one with the giantess and the bear.
Me too:thumbsup:!

Glad to hear we got another convert to the Cult of Mythras! :smile::smile::smile:
(Well, anyone who plays a BRP game has Lay Membership, but now Ronnie Sanford Ronnie Sanford is undergoing full Initiation rites!)
Have fun mate! :thumbsup:
And the Mythras Master initiation is to run a campaign module with 6-8 adventure, BTW. I'm still getting ready to get my rank:tongue:!

It was fun to finally kick the tires on the system after reading it off and on for years. You never really know how something actually works until you see the gears whirring and spinning.

Aside from the clunkiness of my feeble rules-mastery and the need to look up things constantly, I really enjoyed the way "Breaking the Habit" emphasized overcoming heavily armored opponents with non-lethal means, and just how potent less skilled opponents in formation can be.

It all made combat feel very organic in a way that I've rarely experienced in many games before. Sorta like DCC RPG's "mighty deeds" for warriors on steroids.
This is exactly how it works, yes. And the Mighty Deeds are among the few reasons I'm willing to play DCC...:shade:

(My DCC character Jacqueline made heavy use of the mechanic to get out of all kinds of tactical trouble. Formation? Use the equivalent ofMove Opponent or Take Down - nobody can maintin a formation while on the ground. Big opponent? Stun Location can be done with a sword. And so on and so forth).

Organic is a very good word for it. Is it a little crunchier than your average BRP flavor? Yes. But the payoff you get is exponential. A little more crunch for a massive boost in combat tactics and verisimilitude. Reading it I’ve found does nothing to prepare you for the effect of a combat once the lightbulb goes off and people start grokking it (Which doesn’t take long). A lot of games add combat complexity in the name of realism, but don’t feel particularly real. Once you play Mythras a few times, you don’t even notice the rules, as they’d all be stuff your character was thinking about and trying anyway, only no “translation” into abstracted or dissociated game terms is really necessary.
Best description so far.

Last edited:
Prretty much nailed it :thumbsup:

*sigh* This might be a slippery slope. Too many 'Mythras is awesome' threads on every forum I frequent.

Mythras+PDF is on sale at RPGDrivethru at the moment and for £24 + change delivered seems to be an absolute bargain. I'll find out in 10-16 days. Had to desperately resist digging through what else is on sale as I have a garage door and a fridge freezer to pay for. Plus if I keep buying stuff I'll have to head back to Ikea for another Billy Bookshelf.

Meh. I can live out of tins and the house can look like a shack for another few weeks. I can also use the time in Ikea to see if there is a folding table called Seigfreid because the Fridge/freezer into the garage will open up space in the kitchen area for a gaming (sometimes dining but mostly gaming) table.

*goes back to see what else is on sale*

*sigh* This might be a slippery slope. Too many 'Mythras is awesome' threads on every forum I frequent.

Mythras+PDF is on sale at RPGDrivethru at the moment and for £24 + change delivered seems to be an absolute bargain. I'll find out in 10-16 days. Had to desperately resist digging through what else is on sale as I have a garage door and a fridge freezer to pay for. Plus if I keep buying stuff I'll have to head back to Ikea for another Billy Bookshelf.

Meh. I can live out of tins and the house can look like a shack for another few weeks. I can also use the time in Ikea to see if there is a folding table called Seigfreid because the Fridge/freezer into the garage will open up space in the kitchen area for a gaming (sometimes dining but mostly gaming) table.

*goes back to see what else is on sale*
and, while you wait, you might as well check out the most recent version of Mythras Imperative for free! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My usual response to new gaming books is to read some reviews, watch a video or two, and then after a few days of deliberation buy the pdf. I like reading books but I don't have a great deal of shelf space. I love my small house and I'm trying not to turn it into Fibber McGee's Closet. I also don't run anywhere near as many games as I would need to run in order to justify buying more than just the PDF.

After following that rule for a couple of years I noticed that I had a LOT of Mythras PDFs. My brain went, "Fuck it. I'ma buy them in hard cover and run me some games!" And so I did. And my players all loved the switch from 5E to Mythras and CF. I'm about to start a M-Space campaign using The Pirates of Drinax as a springboard.

These days I pretty much just buy whatever Mythras books get released right at the get go because I know it's gonna be the good shit. Babylon is brilliant, btw.

Pretty much the same for me. Our house is not exactly small, but we are super sensitive to clutter. My shelf space is only for the best of the best, things that I’m going to love and use for decades. Philosophy, literature, etc.

I have 2 hardcover mythrss core rule books up there.

First hit is free. After that you got to pay. Let us know when you lose your wife and kids and are homeless on the side of the street with a stack of Mythras books.

While I have picked up some Mythras, I am resisting the pull pretty good. But I've got more than 40 years experience resisting the pull away from RQ1...

Ultimately if I'm in the mood for a BRP type system, I'm gonna want the features that have appealed to me about RQ1 for more than 40 years.

I'm far more likely to try some entirely different new game than try some other flavor of BRP...

Oh, wait, this isn't BRP Wars... :-)

I do enjoy reading about Mythras and what folks are doing with it.

I've been playing in a Mythic Babylon campaign for over a year now (originally as a play tester) and have enjoyed it very much! (Well, except for Loz's somewhat creepy necromancer...)

What impresses me most about the Mythras 'Mythic' settings generally is that they evocatively and effectively translate the beliefs, values, and other elements of those settings into game terms.

When I was young, it was called "MRQ2" (with the Vikings supplement included, it had resulted in one of the best campaigns I've played in...), and we still liked it, son:devil:!

Ahem, indeed:tongue:!

Heh, I bought both Mongoose RQs and thought that I didn't need RQ6, as I don't need yet another magic system and the combat enhancements were in MRQ2 already (also, those weird "ct" ligatures reminded me too much of the typographical horror that was Magic World)...

Heh, I bought both Mongoose RQs and thought that I didn't need RQ6, as I don't need yet another magic system and the combat enhancements were in MRQ2 already (also, those weird "ct" ligatures reminded me too much of the typographical horror that was Magic World)...
I actually liked RQ6 better. It was unusual at first to not have Heroic Abilities, but I liked how it removed an exception-based mechanic...and reasoned I can always return some of them as "blessings" and stuff.

My first experience with Runequest was the following version:

rq2.jpg

The rest of the book was bland and somewhat of a let down to my teenage self after that cover. Aside from the non functional status of the 'armour' I couldn't help but think 'That shields not gonna be much use after' and 'she won't be unarmed if the sword snaps'. Ahem.

I learned a lot of new English words (like "impale" or "shift" or "maul") from my RQ III box. Which also makes me rather lenient about the complexities of BRP variants, as I think that most other variants had fewer rules.

Is the team behind Mythras going for third party support? It seems like Chaosium is hellbent on increasing their share of secondary BRP games, with their very own SRD and that Jonestown thing. I think the new version of Artesia is also now ChaosiQuest instead of Mythras.

I learned a lot of new English words (like "impale" or "shift" or "maul") from my RQ III box. Which also makes me rather lenient about the complexities of BRP variants, as I think that most other variants had fewer rules.

Is the team behind Mythras going for third party support? It seems like Chaosium is hellbent on increasing their share of secondary BRP games, with their very own SRD and that Jonestown thing. I think the new version of Artesia is also now ChaosiQuest instead of Mythras.
Mostly in-house (2 licensed properties) and the gateway license.

I can’t speak for them, but they have a pretty full set of Gateway products (not OGL but light enough that I’ve described it as “you can’t make Mythic FATAL”). You can use all of imperative in the gateway license and like 1000 words of core. Also I suspect there is some negotiation there if one talks to them.

rubble and ruin (post apocalyptic) came out recently as well as seasons of the dead (zombie horror) under gateway. There is a fair chunk from Matt Eiger on Gateway as well.

rq2.jpg

The rest of the book was bland and somewhat of a let down to my teenage self after that cover. Aside from the non functional status of the 'armour' I couldn't help but think 'That shields not gonna be much use after' and 'she won't be unarmed if the sword snaps'. Ahem.
Yeah that UK cover kinda lacked in my opinion and didn't serve the original done by Luise Perrin justice. I loved her original RQ covers and the armor for those was functional bronze age looking armor.

rq2.jpg

She definitely wouldn’t be unarmed. She could poke somebody’s eye out with those.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back