Grand Central Arena series by Ryk Spoor

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Tom B

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Just started re-reading these books again (by Ryk Spoor.) The first book is (surprise) Grand Central Arena (currently available for free download on Amazon or Baen Books.) Sort of a modern SF tale told with pulp sensibilities. A lot of fun, and I had immediate buy-in by having one of the main characters be Marc Duquesne. (Not exactly that Marc Duquesne...but there's an interesting reason for it.)

Anyway, apparently the books aren't selling good enough for the modern publishing paradigm, so he's kickstarting the next book. I think this is the fourth in the series.

Anyone else familiar with these?

Just started re-reading these books again (by Ryk Spoor.) The first book is (surprise) Grand Central Arena (currently available for free download on Amazon or Baen Books.) Sort of a modern SF tale told with pulp sensibilities. A lot of fun, and I had immediate buy-in by having one of the main characters be Marc Duquesne. (Not exactly that Marc Duquesne...but there's an interesting reason for it.)

Anyway, apparently the books aren't selling good enough for the modern publishing paradigm, so he's kickstarting the next book. I think this is the fourth in the series.

Anyone else familiar with these?

I love so-called 'Golden Age' sf but could never get into E.E. Smith when I feel there are much better writers in that style like Leigh Brackett, Jack Williamson and E.C. Tubb.

One thing that gives me pause is the book linked is listed as 688 pages! One thing I like about older adventure fiction is how concise it is, is that one book or a whole series?

That's one book, but a lot happens in it. So, it's not exactly concise, but it didn't feel padded to me. Of course, I greatly prefer long books, so there's that. Interestingly, the second book is about 100 pages shorter, and the third 100 pages shorter than that. (Still 448 pages, though.)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back