Great comic book covers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
These can be great meaning really well laid out and drawn or hilarious or exciting or whatever...this one is both hilarious and well drawn.
lois_lane_63.jpg

I bought these just for the Brian Bolland and Alan Davis covers. The don't remember the Captain Marvel stories being any good, but Wild Dog was pretty interesting.
c60a65db5ae9415bfe66e561cc866911.jpg 5478353-ac+624.jpg

I vividly remember the Flag-Smasher/U.L.T.I.M.A.T.U.M. story. Captain America forced into picking up a gun to kill a terrorist was pretty interesting reading. The cover is extremely misleading.
093a2409f44550cc371c9627073508e3.jpg latest-1.jpg

Although the idea was interesting and it started off well, the "Cap No More" storyline dragged out waaaaay too long, much like the "Trial of the Flash" did a couple of years earlier. One heck of a dramatic cover, though!
25604-2400-28455-1-captain-america.jpg

I have those issues in a box somewhere, although I don't remember the stories as it's been ages since I read them.

Action Comics Weekly was more miss than hit...the covers were usually the best thing about them.

Action Comics Weekly was more miss than hit...the covers were usually the best thing about them.

Yeah. I bought everything Superman and/or Legion of Super-Heroes related back then, and every issue had a Superman story IIRC.

Very dramatic cover by Carmine Infantino...the story was an utter letdown as it didn't deliver on the promise.
3469554-$_57.jpg
I remember buying all these Flash comics off the spinner racks, minus a couple here and there that I just couldn't find.

Yeah. I bought everything Superman and/or Legion of Super-Heroes related back then, and every issue had a Superman story IIRC.
Yes, the centerspread was Superman drawn by Curt Swan, I think...or somebody else very good...can't really recall. I just remember thinking it was weird to shunt Superman to only 2 pages in his own original magazine.

Last edited:
As a longtime Flash fan, I can't tell you how was and angry "Crisis on Infinite Earths" made me, and how depressing this issue was, especially following two years of a ridiculously crappy and ill-conceived storyline that merely flaunted the writer's total ignorance of self-defense laws and how American trials work. One glaring idiocy, aside from the fact that Flash would never have been charged with anything as (1) he's allowed to kill in self-defense to save another person and (2) no grand jury would ever bring charges against him in Central City even if he was somehow barred from (1), was the moronic idea that the prosecution could call Kid Flash as a surprise witness. Yeah...sorry...had they done that it would have resulted in an immediate mistrial since the prosecution has a duty to provide a list of all witnesses to the defense. So stupid. And over two years of comics.
latest-2.jpg

Last edited:
626563.jpg Art by the guy who drew the TSR Marvel Super Heroes game and book covers. He's better at covers than sequential art. Rather stuff at times. This series has promise that it quickly squandered with mediocre writing and a poor attempt to "update" our heroes to fit into the '80s.

989487.jpg

You won't find a better match of subject and artist than Zorro and Alex Toth.
09+Zorro+09+cover+Marvel.jpg
Being a Californian of Mexican-Spanish background, Zorro has a special resonance for me. Also, my father was convinced that he was a doppelgänger for Tyrone Power.
Annex - Power Jr., Tyrone (Mark of Zorro, The)_02.jpg

Last edited:
I remember getting these off the spinner rack way back when. I didn't usually buy team comics, but these Brian Bolland covers were irresistible and I was a Green Lantern fan and bought his comics whenever I could find them, as well as a fan of the Flash, so combine a couple of my favorite heroes with killer cover art and a pretty good story and I have fond memories. The interior art was a disappointment after the awesome covers, though adequate.
a42b3e6bcccadecd054b5c370bdfe8ff.jpg dc84021e0b086e6b6ad41e9683572d6c.jpg

You won't find a better match of subject and artist than Zorro and Alex Toth.
View attachment 1908
Being a Californian of Mexican-Spanish background, Zorro has a special resonance for me. Also, my father was convinced that he was a doppelgänger for Tyrone Power.
View attachment 1909
I loved that black and white Zorro show.

I love the Mask of Zorro movie that Banderas and Hopkins did.

This is a game I'd like to play sometime. It's very light in rules and they never released the planned supplements so material is scanty, but if someone read a Zorro novel or two and did a minimal amount of research, it seems like it would be quite playable and fun.
zorro.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back