Great Comicbook Art Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
You know,, I was never a fan of Sal Buscema's art growing up. His figures always seemed stiff to me, his villains too cartoony. But it's funny how nostalgia changes our views, I recently picked up a trade collecting the original Tombstone storyline, and there was something very comforting and enjoyable about his art, and his very workmanlike approach to panels and storytelling that called back to the Golden Age illustrators. He also had an incredibly respectible 150 issue run - I'm not 100%, but I think that may be a unique accomplishment among Spidey artists.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
It was Roger Stern who fought to bring them together as a couple, a lot of folks behind the scenes objected to it

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It was Roger Stern who fought to bring them together as a couple, a lot of folks behind the scenes objected to it
They were dumb then. It's much more interesting for them to be a couple (and) have Aunt May around who can both be threatened occasionally or get mad at him for things, or even some other "not punch out people" frustrations to deal with. Of course, I also like Aunt May in the Spider-Verse cartoon, she KNEW, and she was waiting on Miles. That's saying HUGE things about that universe to me. (Also she just seems badass on her own. Not in a punch supervillains way, but in "my son is a hero, and I'm backing him up as best I a mere mortal can!" )

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I was kinda relieved when Aunt May died in the 90's, even if it was just another cheap ploy to sell to collectors.

3 decades of her being frail and old and at death's door was too much.

I appreciate the retcon of her character as ornery and tough starting in JMS's run, but that isn't the May I grew up with.

Endless Flight

Swo Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Peter was always worried she would croak from a heart attack if she found out he was Spidey.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Aunt May was Spider-man's worst villain for years. She'd psychologically tortured him since he was a child.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com